PDA

View Full Version : What car to buy?

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Just looking for some opinions. I've decided to sell my 350Z and honda CR-v. My budget is ~$20k. Before you post, keep in mind that reliability/price/cost of repairs are all important to me.
That said, here is the list that I'm looking at.

2006+ Audi A4
2007+CSX Type S
06/07 Mazdaspeed 6
2006+Audi A3
2005+ Subaru Legacy GT

What do you guys think? I think AWD is the way to go but I do like both of the FWD cars I mentioned. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

stealth131
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
have you looked at a wrx or ralli-art if you like the subamaru?

freshprince1
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I personally would go with the Subaru or Audi selections. Go for AWD, in Calgary, you won't regret it and will likely ever go without again. You'll have a much easier time with the Subaru and Audi's when it comes time to sell them a few years down the road.

I love the Mazdaspeed6, but it might be hard to get what it's worth when you resell.

The acura is nice, but you might get fed up with the small size, but you'd be happy with the maintenance costs of it. But personally, you might as well go get the nicest Civic you can find instead of the Acura...pretty much the same car anyways so you could save some money.

slinkie
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Anecdotal evidence but my coworker has a speed6 and has had a lot problems with it. (turbo replace etc) It's fairly new as well. He was pretty annoyed that the warranty didn't cover any of his issues.

Only driven the MS3 and god that thing pulls hard for a fwd car. Mazda interiors are always great as well IMO. (design wise anyway)

I would go csx-s :angel: doubt many beyonders will agree though, if reliability is a big concern I wouldn't own an audi or mazda off warranty

Edit forgot about that k20 gear grind thing

Everlast
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
CSX-S had transmission problems on the '07.
I would go with 2008+ to avoid 2nd gear grind/3rd popout problems.
I would also go with a Civic SI over the CSX unless you really want leather.

Sorry no opinions regarding the other vehicles you listed.

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys!
Like the subaru's but I can't see myself in an older style WRX... They're nice but I'd prefer something a bit more modern. And the new WRX's are too pricey. The Imprza RS is nice but they're expensive for what you get,,, Cheap interior etc.
I agree with the AWD thing, the problem is it limits your choice of vehicle so much...
LOVE the A4 but repair costs off warranty are FML

stealth131
03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by davesparky6
Thanks guys!
Like the subaru's but I can't see myself in an older style WRX... They're nice but I'd prefer something a bit more modern. And the new WRX's are too pricey. The Imprza RS is nice but they're expensive for what you get,,, Cheap interior etc.
I agree with the AWD thing, the problem is it limits your choice of vehicle so much...
LOVE the A4 but repair costs off warranty are FML how about a ralli-art?

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by stealth131
how about a ralli-art?
Those are pretty nice! Never even looked at them, cheapest I could find is $25k. A bit out of range but I might go and test drive one of these. Thanks!

Tomaz
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
A3 or A4 would be my choices. they have a little hint of luxury, with some practicality thrown into the mix.

The Ralli-art is a good suggestion, but its really up to you if you like the styling/interior. The rest of the car is pretty sound.

Subies are not my cup-o-tea, but they sure do perform. I always find the ride to be uncomfortable, and the interior layout seemed to be lacking ergonomically. These cars are fun little toys, but you should drive one to find out if you like it.

The Mazdaspeed 3 is a fun car to drive (not bias), and yet it is also functional. I like the interior layout and feel (it doesn't feel as "cheap", compared to others in it's class. The one thing I found to be negative was the drive train - I hate FWD.

You can find some SAAB Turbo cars in your price range that would fit the bill nicely, but one thing I would worry about is the fact parts are harder to come by, and the cost to fix/reapir can nickle and dime you to death.

Maybe a Cadillac would be a good fit. Comfy, classy, lots of creature comforts and toys loaded into them. Either FWD or RWD depending on the model you are looking at, and enough power to boot around town.

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
^^ A4 is at the top of the list right now, although there are a few speed6's floating around for a really good price. I do like those cars...

psycoticclown
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
The Subaru or one of the Audi's. Hear lots of problem from the Mazdaspeed 6 regarding reliability, the AWD isn't as good as the Subie too. Other then that, they're pretty similar. You should be able to get a pretty nice LGT for around $20k, mine costed me $22.3k over 2 years ago. Spec B's are very nice.

black300
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Audi A4 is really tight and has engine oil consumption problems.

Look at audi A6, or I would personally go with a 2007+ Acura TL Type S, supercharged.

Tomaz
03-15-2011, 03:31 PM
^^ A4 is at the top of the list right now, although there are a few speed6's floating around for a really good price. I do like those cars...

Personally, I wouldn't do an older Speed6. It just might be me, but I have a few friends that have dumped a lot of coin to get a car that barely works. Turbos are the biggest problems know, but research is key. Almost every car has a forum based off of it where you can find lots of information and experiences.

Good luck mate! :thumbsup:

PS: Take a look at the caddy anyway, there are a few in autotrader that even I would be interested in. :)

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Originally posted by black300
Audi A4 is really tight and has engine oil consumption problems.

Look at audi A6, or I would personally go with a 2007+ Acura TL Type S, supercharged.
I hear ya, if I could find a TL type-s... SC or not for around 20k I'd probably already have one lol.
Tomaz, not a huge GM fan but I'll take you up on the Caddy thing, I've bought some great cars in the past that I never would have considered without someone showing me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Legacy GT but make sure it's the limited model so you get leather. I payed $12400 for mine.

stealth131
03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Those are pretty nice! Never even looked at them, cheapest I could find is $25k. A bit out of range but I might go and test drive one of these. Thanks! Well brand new they were under 35 grand so a used one should be able to get for under 20 easy. I've seen them.

heavyD
03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Stay away from the Mazda. The 2.3L DISI engine is garbage so chances are a used one is going to cost you $$$.

black300
03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I am sure you can find them for about $20, here's one for $24 ish and I am sure you can get it for $22

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Acura-TL-TYPE-S-NAVI-BACKUP-CAM-286HP-75kms-1-owner-W0QQAdIdZ267508808

This is Type S, I am sure the normal ones are even cheaper.

bourge73
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Sure maybe get the Audi but only with a full warranty!

Xtrema
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
If u r sensitive to repair cost, Audi may not be the best for u.

davesparky6
03-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by black300
I am sure you can find them for about $20, here's one for $24 ish and I am sure you can get it for $22

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Acura-TL-TYPE-S-NAVI-BACKUP-CAM-286HP-75kms-1-owner-W0QQAdIdZ267508808

This is Type S, I am sure the normal ones are even cheaper.
I actually talked to that guy last night! seems pretty firm on the price but that is a beautiful car! The regular TL's go for as little as $14k... Might be worth considering???

davesparky6
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If u r sensitive to repair cost, Audi may not be the best for u.
I think you're right! I don't want to be dumping $800 a year into service for my dd.
So a few more options:
Acura TSX 05+
Acura TL 04+
Saabaru 9-2x aero+
(wierd cars but I saw one last night and they look good!)
Thanks for all the replies boys :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
A well maintained A4 is no less reliable than any other car on your list. I've owned Audi's (notoriously "unreliable" ones at that) for the past 5 years and I've never spent even CLOSE to $800/year on service. My current Audi has cost me exactly zero dollars in maintenance/repairs (excluding oil changes) and I've had it for 1.5 years.

An Acura TL or RL would be high on my list too, you can get them for pretty cheap for what you get. You get AWD in the RL.

The TSX's have zero power, and are the least fun cars in the world (IMO). They are grossly underpowered, have very low torque, and make peak HP at like 7000 RPM.

Look at G35's too for good bang for the buck.

pinoyhero
03-18-2011, 04:58 PM
G35 maybe?

davesparky6
03-19-2011, 12:47 AM
What's your guys thoughts on just keeping the Z and getting some MEAN winters for it?