PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 18

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
What can I say, I'm a huge sucker for sci-fi movies ;)

0F6DU6gx7-w

treg50
03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I hear that. Looks very promising so far!! :eek:

JAYMEZ
03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Looks pretty cool

n1zm0
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
awesome! like blair witch 1970s

Spoons
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't know about this one. It's probably going to turn into another "Fourth Kind" where everything cool that you want to see about the aliens is "damaged footage." I'll wait for the reviews...

403Gemini
03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
I don't know about this one. It's probably going to turn into another "Fourth Kind" where everything cool that you want to see about the aliens is "damaged footage." I'll wait for the reviews...

So? I don't care about seeing the aliens as much as I do the suspense. Looks like the one guy gets infected or something and likely starts going crazy... couldnt imagine anything more scary... stuck in fucking space and the only person to speak to starts going nuts.

Hakkola
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I like the idea in this movie, I just don't like the cinematography so I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.

Have you seen Moon Gemini?

twuScTcDP_Q

treg50
03-19-2011, 10:41 AM
^ Haha niiiice, not too shabby. A little space psychological-thriller going on there. An 'imposter'/clone/Talented Mr.Ripley/etc. type of story combined with being isolated on the friggin moon!... looks good!

Cos
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Moon was awesome. Also check out Sunshine.

r8BSlqHAhuY

403Gemini
03-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, i LOVE Moon and Sunshine... Sunshine is probably my all time favorite sci-fi movie.

I'm sorta on the fence on how I feel about this mockumentry style of filming where they make it want to seem real... I dunno it's not BAD, but I do prefer artistic shots like in other movies such as Moon or Sunshine above.

Hakkola
03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos

r8BSlqHAhuY

Yeah, this is one of my favorite movies, any genre. :thumbsup:

Spoons
03-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos

r8BSlqHAhuY

Since everyone seems to be on the fun fact train in Entertainment section, the beeping/radio signal you hear at the beginning from the ship is the same signal that Sputnik transmitted.

Never the less looks like I've got two films to watch today... If I can fit it in with March Madness. I've always wanted to watch Sunshine but never got around to it.

Sky
03-19-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna look forward to watching Sunshine. Never even heard of it before. Also getting Moon, I totally forgot about that one. Gonna be a good weekend :D

jsn
03-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I just watched moon. Pretty good movie. Gonna try to watch sunshine soon too.

Sky
03-20-2011, 02:28 AM
^ Just finished moon, had me glued to the screen. "Sunshine" tomorrow.

jsn
03-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Just watched sunshine. Awesome movie. Quite abit better than moon i thought.

Seth1968
03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Apollo 18 is the sci-fi version of the Blair Witch money making scheme. That is, a fake "True Story" message that appeases the masses with the above message and some "real footage" jargon. The best of such scheme was epitomized in "Fargo".

Thanks for Sunshine though, watching that tonight...

403Gemini
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Apollo 18 is the sci-fi version of the Blair Witch money making scheme. That is, a fake "True Story" message that appeases the masses with the above message and some "real footage" jargon. The best of such scheme was epitomized in "Fargo".

Thanks for Sunshine though, watching that tonight...

Originally posted by jsn
Just watched sunshine. Awesome movie. Quite abit better than moon i thought.

Originally posted by Sky
^ Just finished moon, had me glued to the screen. "Sunshine" tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

You guys won't be disappointed!

Shax
03-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Wow this seems like my favourite movie thread ever! I am fanatically in love with Moon and Sunshine and Apollo 18 look amazing. I think I will go rewatch Sunshine for a good ending to this weekend :)

beecue
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Going to check out Moon, hadn't heard of it before. Sunshine was only good for 2/3 for me, last act was kind of shitty from what I remember.

Spoons
03-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Ended up watching Sunshine and Moon today. Thought they were both awesome. The end of Sunshine was kind of different though, thought the whole burnt dude whatever was a little off.

Anyone have more sci-fi movies to watch?

Sky
03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Watched Sunshine, not bad, I quite enjoyed it. I just don't understand how the burnt dude gain so much strength.

Try Event Horizon if u guys never heard of it. :devil:

ekguy
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Moon is excellent. Sunshine is also a very good watch. Very sweet on Blueray.

In any case this movie looks awesome though. Will definitely go see this one.

Gibson
03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Not to be whatever, but the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack needs to stop being used in movie trailers.

403Gemini
03-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
Not to be whatever, but the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack needs to stop being used in movie trailers.

I assume you were talking about the Sunshine trailer?

Ironically, Sunshine has a phenomenal original soundtrack and one of it's songs, "Surface of the Sun" is used in EVERYTHING now lol

rWlXU2DeYkQ

Seth1968
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM

This.

For most sci-fi, I watch Trek. I'm in the midst of an Enterprise marathon, and have watched the first season and most of the second.

IMO, Enterprise is underrated.

403Gemini
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

This.

For most sci-fi, I watch Trek. I'm in the midst of an Enterprise marathon, and have watched the first season and most of the second.

IMO, Enterprise is underrated.

I've never seen Enterprise... truthfully, I was always a TNG fan, didn't like DS:9 or Voyager.

Seth1968
03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I've never seen Enterprise... truthfully, I was always a TNG fan, didn't like DS:9 or Voyager.

I'm an original TNG fan, but despise the young Wesley Crusher and Troi in all aspects.

Voyager had some kick ass episodes. One of my favorites is the "Future Borg" episode.

Enterprise is Trek with little to none "chick flicks".

No offense ladies.

Spoons
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
So I have finally comprised my review of Sunshine, while not a review really, but more of why I couldn't get completely sucked into it like Moon. Everything in Moon was plausible, but a lot of what happened in Sunshine really bugged me. I cause I am just too much of a nerd. And yes, I am nit picking the fuck out of it, it's supposed to be satire more than anything.

Firstly don't get me wrong, great movie, but here are the reasons why I didn't get completely sucked in like other movies. This is a spoiler if you haven't watched the movie as well... So stop reading here if you wish to watch it.

1) Now our sun is expected to die approximately 5 billion years from now. That is a long fucking time. From the technological advances we've seen in the last 60 years or so, I can safely assume we are going to be able to create a ship that is not only capable of travel within our solar system if not interstellar, but they will be able to do it in much shorter than 16 months.

2) With the technological advances, why the fuck would it be a manned mission? They have A.I. in the movie, why the fuck would they not program the damn computer to fly it itself?

3) Say it has to be a manned mission, the A.I. should be smart enough to realize human error, thus the mistake of not adjusting your shield would be avoided.

4) With human error, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU FUCK AROUND WITH YOUR MISSION AND TRY TO LINK UP WITH THE OTHER SHIP. Every single god damn sci-fi movie is based on some catastrophic failure due to humans mucking with the plan. 5 billion years from now, they should all be quite aware of these movies, thus IF IT'S NOT BROKEN, DON'T FUCKING FIX IT. You know it's gonna happen, it always does due to Murphy's Law, so why try it? Just keep on course noobs.

5) You have a ship with a gigantic fucking shield on the front. It is capable of deflecting heat upwards to 5500 degrees Celsius. Why wouldn't you wrap the whole ship in this shit? At the very least have your life supporting sections (ie oxygen garden, if this is even a stupid manned mission in the first place) protected by these shields, for in the event of that I don't know, you have to turn the fucking ship to fix it? Like wise with your space suits, why the hell are they not constructed from the same material?

6) The AI is a useless bitch. She corrects them once... After shit has hit the fan. After that, she sits there like a pre-madonna whore and does nothing. Oh you have the capabilities of detecting lifeforms within the ship? Why wouldn't you tell your crew that some crazy sun guy has sneaked onto your ship and is about to fuck your parade? Oh the oxygen garden is in danger? Why wouldn't you correct it before it actually happened. Dumb bitch.

7) Crazy sun guy said he spent the last 7 years talking to God and how we are not allowed to survive. Self explanatory, God doesn't exist. Crazy sun guy, you were clearly talking to your crazy self the whole 7 years. I know this, you know this, stop fucking fronting.

8) All in all this would never happen. It's 5 billions years from now. We probably have fucked ourselves over due to stupidity long time ago. But say we are still around, due to our society allowing stupid people to continue to breed, we would all be looking at the sun wondering why the fuck it's not as hot anymore, and have literally no clue on how we could change that... If we could even figure out that it is indeed dying.

Like I said it was a great movie, but the little things bothered me, and just didn't allow me to quite be sucked in as much as I would like to be. Yes I am nit picking the movie, but I like my sci-fi movies to somewhat make sense...

403Gemini
03-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I think you're way too stuck on the "5 billion years from now" , that movie clearly isn't happening 5 billion years from now, because if us as humans were to exist then, we wouldn't be living in this solar system ;)

Our sun burning out is hypothesized to be 5 billion years away. But that's just it, it's a scientific, educated "guess." We couldn't predict Japan's earthquake on our own planet, and you expect our scientists are accurate enough to figure out when a star will die? The movie likely takes place 200-500 years from now.

Also they explained why they went for the second ship, since the first bomb being dropped isn't even a good chance that it would succeed, so I believe the line they used was "Two last hopes are better than one."

The only thing I didn't really like was actually the burnt/crazy sun guy, the movie could have done without him. I also agree, why the FUCK wouldn't the ship tell them an unknown entity/personal was on board! :rofl:

Hakkola
03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I didn't mind the sun burnt guy, and it isn't so much the story that had me intrigued, it was the visual effects, I think the story was just there to give them an excuse to make visual art, and the last 30 seconds or so of the film is probably my favorite sequence in cinema.

I'm interested in pretty much any thing that shows visuals of space, and Sunshine blew my mind.

Spoons
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I think you're way too stuck on the "5 billion years from now" , that movie clearly isn't happening 5 billion years from now, because if us as humans were to exist then, we wouldn't be living in this solar system ;)

Our sun burning out is hypothesized to be 5 billion years away. But that's just it, it's a scientific, educated "guess." We couldn't predict Japan's earthquake on our own planet, and you expect our scientists are accurate enough to figure out when a star will die? The movie likely takes place 200-500 years from now.

Also they explained why they went for the second ship, since the first bomb being dropped isn't even a good chance that it would succeed, so I believe the line they used was "Two last hopes are better than one."

The only thing I didn't really like was actually the burnt/crazy sun guy, the movie could have done without him. I also agree, why the FUCK wouldn't the ship tell them an unknown entity/personal was on board! :rofl:

Yupp, definitely could have done without the sun guy. It just seemed as though they ran out of ways to keep you on edge so BAM insert crazy sun guy and have him raise shit.

Still, knowing about past movies, I would have instantly thought, "While two last hopes are better than one, one perfectly working, on track ship, is better than none." Shit ALWAYS goes wrong.

Point still stands even if it is 200-500 years from now... Everything should have been covered. Even more so, why not put the fucking most important part, the oxygen garden, closest to the shield... Not at the very end...

jsn
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Yea I thought they could have done away with the guy that was sunburnt. Seemed like they tried to turn it into a murder/thriller movie half way. I liked the movie quite abit though mostly because of what Hakkola said. I find it hard to picture what it would be like if you're that close to the sun with temperatures that extreme. The visuals in the movie were amazing.

I thought the story itself was flawed though. They said they're sending an explosive that contained all the mined volatiles from Earth to re-kick start the sun? Hell even if we sent an explosive the size of the entire Earth, I really doubt that would do shit. The Earth is tiny compared to the sun.

Another thing, I don't get why ONLY Capa was trained to set off the explosive. When there was only 1 space suit on the Icarus I they made such a big deal about how Capa had to survive because he had to detonate the explosve. But when they went outside to fix the deflectors and the captain was disintegrated, they had no issue with sending Capa out.

I liked the movie overall, but I thought the main storyline was abit flawed.

Vagabond142
03-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Whenever I want a good sci fi fix... I just play an episode of Doctor Who (2011 series is going to be KILLER o_o) :D

You can't tell me that this theme doesn't evoke memories of being scared shitless watching it as a kid, or giggling gleefully when they brought it back in 2005 :D

2CYDgezeQas

Gibson
03-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Ironically, Sunshine has a phenomenal original soundtrack and one of it's songs, "Surface of the Sun" is used in EVERYTHING now lol

That's funny, I looked it up...Walking Dead and the 2010 Olympics haha.

I watched Sunshine earlier this week and I thought it was pretty enjoyable. There were a couple niggles, like how the payload was also the shield? What were they planning on doing once they let it go? And was the observation deck located on the payload?

Pretty freaked out by the guy freezing in space though, probably one of the more memorable moments.

Also, Spoons, I'm not sure your reasoning of "it's happened in all the sci-fi movies" is really a sound argument. And points 3 and 6 are directly related.

Spoons
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Also, Spoons, I'm not sure your reasoning of "it's happened in all the sci-fi movies" is really a sound argument. And points 3 and 6 are directly related.

Think for 2 seconds here. Did we not just watch the movie? Yes. Have we seen shit happen before in other movies? Yes. We are living in the same universe as they are, this isn't Lord of the Rings here. They would have known.

Most of the points are directly related...

BerserkerCatSplat
03-24-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm at odds with most people, I thought Moon was way better than Sunshine, but both were very solid flicks.

I don't honestly have high hopes for Apollo 18. The whole "this is real footage"shtick got old in the 90's and it hasn't aged well.

As a side note to the guy who mentioned Fargo: I was talking to a guy last week who was absolutely convinced the movie was a documentary/true story. I felt kinda bad telling him the truth, haha.

Seth1968
03-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I don't honestly have high hopes for Apollo 18. The whole "this is real footage"shtick got old in the 90's and it hasn't aged well.

Agreed, but the masses still fall for it.

As a side note to the guy who mentioned Fargo: I was talking to a guy last week who was absolutely convinced the movie was a documentary/true story. I felt kinda bad telling him the truth, haha.

That was me.

Any so called "true story" movie that I've ever seen, had at least an iota of truth to them, but Fargo was a total fabrication. Although I love that film.

schocker
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I am not going to lie, I found the movie pretty awful.

mark4091
09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeah.....

Started out promising, it's a good idea and a bad idea in one. 1960's/1970's space exploration + horror is cool. The true story shit on the other hand is garbage.

Some movies like to bend the rules and everybody has come to accept that. This movie really cuts corners.

schocker
09-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Ya, the internet upload thing was dumb. It was a good concept though I thought, but poor execution. Second day at the theatres also and there were like 20 people watching it :rofl:
rock monsters, wtf was that supposed to be

Rat Fink
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM