PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Snapshot Discount

Kloubek
03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
So, I saw an ad on TV from that annoying progressive chick. I caught it in the background, but it seemed to me they install a device and record your driving. With that data, they give you a better rate insurance plan.

They collect virtually all info about your driving habits, sans g-force readings. Read their privacy for details on that.

I can imagine those wearing the tinfoil hats are getting pretty edgy in these technological times.

And the asians and old people are going to get awesome rates - the two worst groups. I can't imagine this idea will stick along for long....

-----------------------------------

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-how-it-works.aspx

Here’s how our usage-based insurance program works*:

Enroll online.
Sign up for Snapshot when you quote and buy your Progressive car insurance policy.

Plug the device into your car.
We’ll mail your Snapshot device to you, along with details on where to plug it into your car.

Drive as you normally do.
For the next 30 days, you’ll keep track of your good driving habits with the Snapshot device. You can log in to your Progressive policy anytime to see your projected Snapshot DiscountSM.

FraserB
03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
So basically drive perfect for a month, get your discount, then return to normal driving?

J-D
03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
^ It's six months

and I don't want something like this to be industry standard, ever! :dunno:

Guillermo
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
i would never get one of those things, my insurance would only increase.

Kloubek
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
While I understand how this would be able to provide discounts to those who drive slowly, it does nothing as far as measure how close to accidents they are, or anything that *truly* measures how safe they are driving.

If I get up to 100k on the highway in six seconds, I don't think I'm being any more unsafe than someone who does it in 30 seconds. However, that grandma who is clogging up traffic *is*, imo, potentially driving unsafe by causing others to work their way around her, etc.

In essence, this is forcing people to have their information recorded in order to receive a better rate. And I can just see the conspiracy theorists assuming the worst already...

Xtrema
03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Basically like anything that insurance come up with, it's a way for them to REDUCE the discount you may get and keep everyone on higher rate.

If I'm a lawyer, I will start collecting the amount of accidents these recorded vehicle gets into and get ready for a juicy class action lawsuit.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Please don't become industry standard.