PDA

View Full Version : Question For Car Stereo Experts...

Alik
01-12-2004, 09:36 PM
I own an E46 m3 2003 with Navigation/ Harmon Kardon stereo. I want to upgrade my sound system (Speakers/amp/sub) but don't know how to go about it. I have already taken my car to 2 shops here and they told me that unless I change my deck they won't work on it since the HK is hard to work with. One even said that the output is fiber optics!! But I’m not sure if that is true.
Any suggestions on How to go about this upgrade without changing the head unit?
I've also been doing some research on what speakers to get and have heard that the Focal Utopia 5.25 would fit perfectly in this car, but not many people have posted upgrades on a navigation/hk speaker upgrade.
One last thing, does it matter what speakers I put in the back? I trust people who come on this board more than the people at the shop since I know for a fact that your opinion is unbias.

Either way I would greatly appreciate any input on the matters above.

illeagle
01-12-2004, 09:40 PM
just like those shops, I'd be scared to screw around with it. That's probably why they want you to by a head unit.

:dunno:

silverEL
01-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Alik
I own an E46 m3 2003 with Navigation/ Harmon Kardon stereo. I want to upgrade my sound system (Speakers/amp/sub) but don't know how to go about it. I have already taken my car to 2 shops here and they told me that unless I change my deck they won't work on it since the HK is hard to work with. One even said that the output is fiber optics!! But I’m not sure if that is true.
Any suggestions on How to go about this upgrade without changing the head unit?
I've also been doing some research on what speakers to get and have heard that the Focal Utopia 5.25 would fit perfectly in this car, but not many people have posted upgrades on a navigation/hk speaker upgrade.
One last thing, does it matter what speakers I put in the back? I trust people who come on this board more than the people at the shop since I know for a fact that your opinion is unbias.

Either way I would greatly appreciate any input on the matters above.
i believe that bmw installs their own sub/amp
ive seen it in the accessory book
give them a call

Fosgate R
01-13-2004, 12:13 AM
yeah your best bet is to go with BMW. They will throw something together for you. Have you tried Audio Concepts? Thier usually good with high end stuff...but their expensive.

npham
01-13-2004, 02:32 PM
You can upgrade your system, kinda without getting a new HU. You can buy a converter that takes the output from the HU and changes it into a usable signal for an amp. Can't recall what it is called, but basically you are using the speaker line inputs on a amp. This is not the best way to go about upgrading your stereo. If you want the best quality in sound, you need a new HU. Something with at least 4volt preouts. Other than that, you should be able to pull your old speakers/amp/whatever and drop new equipment in easily. Lemme know if you want ideas on what to buy.

Canadian 2.5RS
01-13-2004, 03:58 PM
go to sounddomain.com and look at the members rides and see what other people are doing, although i bet most have replaced the stock HU.

hockeybronx
01-13-2004, 07:06 PM
The reason they probably didn't want to work with your unit could be because in many cars the security features are wired through the deck. Air bags, alarm, and other features could blow off or not work if you aren't careful. If you are going to do a lot of stereo upgrading I would suggest replacing the head unit, but I'm sure there is always a way to work around it.