PDA

View Full Version : Gdl Demerit removal

jacky4566
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, i hate making a new post because ill get flamed for not using the search button but i promise that i did and could not find the answer to my question.

So i currently have 6 demerits on my GDL license. If i get my non-GDL does this reduce the amount of demerits?
Maybe ill go ask the registry but they never understand me (Always foreigners there?) Im trying to dispel a rumor from some friends so hard evidence would be great.

chkolny541
03-18-2011, 06:24 AM
i dont beleive that they will get removed, but the limit for your demerits will be increased. I *THINK* it goes from 7 up to 13 or something along those lines

But honestly 6 demerits, isnt the limit for GDL license 7? you should be taking the bus

Crazyjoker77
03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
the above poster is mostly correct GDL license are good up to 7points before you get suspended/revoked. when you go for your full class5 and IF you pass you wont lose any of the points you already earned but will now be allowed up to 15 demerits.

As it stands the only way you can lose demerits in Alberta is to either wait 3 years till they are no longer counted, or to take a certified defensive drivers course (which run between 400-800 dollars and 24hours of classroom time) and can be taken as much as you want but you can only lose 3 demerits every 2 years this way. but regardless 90% of insurance companies will give you a discount for taking a Defensive driving course.

I'm not 100% sure you can even go this route with a GDL though as I had my class 5 before GDL ever existed.

ercchry
03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

As it stands the only way you can lose demerits in Alberta is to either wait 3 years till they are no longer counted,

wrong....

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2172.htm

i dont know why people ask or even answer these questions on here when they can just go to google instead of beyond and get the real answers from government websites :nut:

and these are the ONLY differences from full license to gdl license:

Probationary Conditions
• Must spend a minimum of 2 years as a probationary driver.
• Not permitted to have more passengers than seat belts.
• They will be suspended at 8 demerit points rather than the 15 for fully licenced drivers.
• Have a zero alcohol level.
• No upgrading to a commercial licence (Classes 1, 2, 3 or 4).
• Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a learner.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType47/Production/graduateddriverlic.pdf

demerits work the same for both, why the hell would they just disappear? use your fucking head

AMFH403
03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
LoL both posters above are wrong. A simple search on google came up with these results on the first link...
The defensive drivers course is 50-100 dollers at most places an it's 14 hours of classroom time.

Demerit point system for Graduated Driver Licensing
Demerit points are recorded against an operators licence.

When a total of four or more but less than eight points have accumulated, you are mailed a courtesy notice of point standing.
When an accumulation of eight or more points occurs within a two-year period, your licence is automatically suspended for one month.
When the suspension is the second demerit suspension within one year, your licence is suspended for three months and you will be directed to appear before the Alberta Transportation Safety Board.
When the suspension is the third or more demerit suspension within two years, your licence is suspended for six months.
When a demerit point suspension has been served, the licence is reinstated with three points. These points remain on your record until a period of two years from the assessed date has passed.
When two years have elapsed from the date of a conviction, the number of points assessed for that conviction are removed from your record. Remember, the date of conviction is the date that you actually pay your fine or are found guilty in absence, not the date that you received the fine.
If a defensive driving course has been successfully completed prior to accumulating eight or more points, a maximum of three demerit points may be removed from a driving record once every two years.

jacky4566
03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Lol. Well I know my situation I want to know if upgrading removes demerits. I will o pass the test and get an abstract how bout that.

ercchry
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Lol. Well I know my situation I want to know if upgrading removes demerits. I will o pass the test and get an abstract how bout that.

NO it does not, are you retarded?

ipeefreely
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

NO it does not, are you retarded?

I think we already know the answer to that... ;)

:banghead:

I'm surprised he got a licence in the first place! :nut:

OriginalGoods
03-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I had 6 points and took my non gdl back in the day and my points went to 0 !

adidas
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
So much misinformation here.

You can do the defensive driving test online and have the completion card/papers mailed to you. The test is around a $100 and takes 5-6 hrs to complete. If you dont want to read any of the information, leave urself logged in for 5 hrs and take the test.

jacky4566
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by OriginalGoods
I had 6 points and took my non gdl back in the day and my points went to 0 !

ok so i have one real account of this happening. See the OP is not crazy.

ercchry
03-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

ok so i have one real account of this happening. See the OP is not crazy.

only issue is that OriginalGoods is about as brilliant as you are though

bituerbo
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah, the limit is 15 and they send a warning letter at 9 (I'm currently at 12, last offence date was from 2009 though). Online course is the best option if you need to lose some points... $100 and 3 points off.

And you do not lose the points from your license when you go from GDL to Class 5. Those convictions are associated to your drivers license number, which will remain the same when you change from GDL to Class 5.

Cos
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

demerits work the same for both, why the hell would they just disappear? use your fucking head

err maybe you quoted the wrong guy but his statement was this:

You can reduce your demerits by two ways.

1.) Wait until they expire (3 years)
2.) Take a defensive driving course.

Nowhere did it say they disappear?

ercchry
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos

err maybe you quoted the wrong guy but his statement was this:

You can reduce your demerits by two ways.

1.) Wait until they expire (3 years)
2.) Take a defensive driving course.

Nowhere did it say they disappear?

the portion of the quote that i was replying to was what i quoted... then in a new paragraph i replied to the thread, sorry for the confusion

AND stop giving misinformed statements! it is 2 years!!!!! 3 years only applies to insurance rates :nut:

OriginalGoods
03-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Points stay on your file for 2 years from when you are convicted. the ticket will still show on your record for the 3rd year of your recent abstract but not the points.

adidas
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Yeah, the limit is 15 and they send a warning letter at 9 (I'm currently at 12, last offence date was from 2009 though). Online course is the best option if you need to lose some points... $100 and 3 points off.

And you do not lose the points from your license when you go from GDL to Class 5. Those convictions are associated to your drivers license number, which will remain the same when you change from GDL to Class 5.

Maybe if u say ur DL was stolen, than u get a new number. Could we be onto something?

dannie
03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow... Just wow in this thread.

Ok... where to start...

Ercchry is correct on every point he made. Plain and simple.

Whoever told the OP that they had their demerit points reduced to zero at the time the went from GDL to non, is full of crap. Upgrading does not give you a free pass from your past offenses.

To get rid of them, do the demerit reduction course, or wait the 2 years until they fall off your abstract.

To the OP: since you supposedly know your situation and are discounting what other posters are saying, go ahead. Take the test. Pay for the abstract and post it on here. Prove us wrong. Please.

jacky4566
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
When i said i know my situation i meant demerit wise. It seems clear and makes sense that they would not simply disappear but i had to disprove a friend. Anyway. thread can be closed now. Wish me luck on the advanced test.

master hec0
03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by adidas
So much misinformation here.

You can do the defensive driving test online and have the completion card/papers mailed to you. The test is around a $100 and takes 5-6 hrs to complete. If you dont want to read any of the information, leave urself logged in for 5 hrs and take the test.

THIS. I had a speeding ticket worth 3 points. took that super easy course it took me a day at home. adriving.ca

Kennyredline
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
i dont beleive that they will get removed, but the limit for your demerits will be increased. I *THINK* it goes from 7 up to 13 or something along those lines

But honestly 6 demerits, isnt the limit for GDL license 7? you should be taking the bus

This is the most intelligent post in this thread.