PDA

View Full Version : First time taking car to mechanic

RNB11
03-18-2011, 01:14 AM
I have never taken my car into a shop before for any work, but now i will need too. I have been having a coolant leak for quite sometime and am finally getting around to get it looked at.

How do mechanics charge you? I understand labour is per hour, but how do they charge you to diagnose the problem first?

And any reputable shops?

Thanks guys

leftwing
03-18-2011, 01:55 AM
It'll kinda work like this:

-you drop your car off and say its leaking coolant
-they will put it on the hoist and check it out
-they should figure our where its leaking pretty easily, especially if it is bad- maybe your intake manifold, water pump, reservoir may be cracked...
-they will tell you what it is and how much it will cost to get the part
-you say ok do it OR fuck thats expensive, forget it
-they either do it, or don't
-they will probably charge you 30min to an hour for their time if you don't fix it, or they will charge you an arm and a leg, plus their time if they do fix it.

hope this helps.

RNB11
03-18-2011, 02:12 AM
Thank you! Doesn't sound like to much if a hassle haha, any honest shops recommended?

Sentry
03-18-2011, 02:30 AM
An hour labour for diagnosis is typical.

Mikespecr1
03-18-2011, 04:52 AM
northmount auto is very good and this is comming from a mechanic.
And he is not a friend of mine, lol.

G-ZUS
03-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Aussie auto across from regal auction

94boosted
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
-they should figure our where its leaking pretty easily, especially if it is bad- maybe your intake manifold, water pump, reservoir may be cracked...

All good advice except I don't think an intake manifold can leak coolant, a head can but not an intake.

Just nitpicking here :rofl:

leftwing
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

All good advice except I don't think an intake manifold can leak coolant, a head can but not an intake.

Yeah it can...I just saw a 95 ford explorer that had to be "put down" because the lower intake manifold cracked and was pouring coolant out. And the cost to fix the beast was more the then vehicle was worth. And my 98 blazer also has a tiny coolant leak from the intake manifold...:)

Kloubek
03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
"Our Mechanic".
3927 3A Street NE
(403) 277-7174

insanity
03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Hu's Garage in the NE does great dependable work. They specialize in hondas. Its just right before barlow trail.

bspot
03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Knibbe. Crazy honest.

ercchry
03-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Yeah it can...I just saw a 95 ford explorer that had to be "put down" because the lower intake manifold cracked and was pouring coolant out. And the cost to fix the beast was more the then vehicle was worth. And my 98 blazer also has a tiny coolant leak from the intake manifold...:)

yup, lots of cars have coolant passages in the intake...

crapstixs
03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

any engine that has gm stamped on it, will piss coolant out of the intake many times over its life.

RNB11
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys i will head to one of the shops, my car squeals about 50/50 of the time so I think it might be the water pump going. My temp gauge is broken so can't tell to much if im overheating!

Will let you know how it goes!

94boosted
03-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Lol oops don't I feel stupid now. I've tinkered around with many engines before and even worked at a shop for a few years while I was in school and never saw a coolant leak from an intake manifold :rolleyes: Well you learn something new everyday.

Guillermo
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mikespecr1
northmount auto is very good and this is comming from a mechanic.
And he is not a friend of mine, lol.

I used to bring my cars there, the guy's name is Mike and he is really nice. it's just him there, though, and he once had one of my cars for like 3 weeks just to replace a computer (he was swamped with work, i guess). he is honest, really nice, and does good work, but I started taking my cars to OK Tire across the street from him after that experience. they are great too, but have like 3 mechanics so is much more reliable.

RNB11
03-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Went to hu's garage, nice people there and knowledgeable. They couldn't find a leak though.. no charge for diagnosis.

89s1
03-20-2011, 12:00 PM
you could have a coolant leak into one of the cylinders.

you will go through coolant like a leak, but will have no visible wetness or drips.

RNB11
03-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Hope it's nothing seriously like a blown head gasket. Where can I buy one of those combustion leak testers?

VetteRacin
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
you could have a coolant leak into one of the cylinders.

you will go through coolant like a leak, but will have no visible wetness or drips.

If that was the case the engine oil would be white and they should have spotted it.

89s1
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
not true.

if the coolant and oil were mixing then yes, that would be the case, this could be coolant leaking into the combustion chamber(s) slowly and being burned away.

Rat Fink
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM

crapstixs
03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
when a head gasket fails and mixes the oil and coolant, the oil gose more to a pea soup than anything. and your usally going to be replacing the engine. like 95% of headgasket failers dont mix oil and coolant and dont blow white smoke. the engine will just over heat. one of the best ways to check for head gasket leakage is a block test, like what rat fink said. it measures the PH of the coolant. a by-product of combustion is acid, so if your coolant is very acidic theres a good chance the head gasket is leaking. i found the air lift, or vacuum cooling system fillers work awsome to diagnose head gaskets. head gaskets can do some very weird things and be very hard to diagnose at times.
if you came in for just a coolant leak i can garentiee you the shop did not look into anything head gasket related. what car is the one with said coolant leak?

RNB11
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
It's a 94 integra, I will go ahead with the combustion test and see how that goes.

crapstixs
03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
is the coolant leaking on the ground, or do you have to keep on adding coolant?

RNB11
03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
haven't seen any visible leaks as it leaks slowly where I will have to fill every few weeks. Mechanic couldn't find a visible leak when he took a quick look but maybe can with a more in depth look. My temperture gauge also is not functioning so I cannot tell whether I'm over heating or not.

crapstixs
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
is your rad cap venting? if it is your over heating. the reason why a engine over heats with a head gasket leak, is because you have air fuel mixture or exhaust being pumped into your cooling system. this build up of air collects around the thermostate and pervents it from opening. so air and exhaust get in the cooling system and coolant gets in your cylinders. ive had head gasket leaks that will pour coolant out of the spark plug hole, and others that dont burn any coolant. tell the shop how much coolant you are adding and how often. and you dont see any leaking on the ground. seeing is a b18 it wouldnt pass me by thats its a head gasket.

RNB11
03-23-2011, 01:09 AM
alright cool, I will get it checked out as soon as I can. As I said, my temp gauge isn't working, in the meanwhile while I get that sorted out, is there any other way to tell it's over heating while I'm driving? I try to drove short distances as a precaution.

crapstixs
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
with out a temp gauge, really the only way is when the rad cap starts venting. but when that happens its really over heating.

RNB11
03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Well... got hit with a head on collision today with the other driver at fault. So car will most likely be a write off as damage is alot and the airbag went off, no more need to diagnose this! haha.

vtec260
03-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Knibbe. Crazy honest.

Used them @ Crowfoot location and they are very professional and good and reasonably priced.