PDA

View Full Version : Japan vs United States

89coupe
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Was talking to some friends about the situation in Japan and how the people their react to the situation vs how the people in the United States act in a similar disaster, Katrina for example.

In Japan the people pull together calmly and help each other. They wait patiently in lines for supplies, and offer assistance to the elderly.

In the United States you have people fighting, stealing, even killing each other to get anything they can. Riots, violence, pillaging, rape, murder, you name it.

Whats even more pathetic is the disaster that is unfolding in Japan is 100x worse then Katrina for example, and yet the people still pull together and help each other.

derpderp
03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Cultural differences basically, Japan is nearly one of the only nations on earth where people wouldn't just go nuts and start breaking into everything in events like these.

broken_legs
03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Was talking to some friends about the situation in Japan and how the people their react to the situation vs how the people in the United States act in a similar disaster, Katrina for example.

In Japan the people pull together calmly and help each other. They wait patiently in lines for supplies, and offer assistance to the elderly.

In the United States you have people fighting, stealing, even killing each other to get anything they can. Riots, violence, pillaging, rape, murder, you name it.

Whats even more pathetic is the disaster that is unfolding in Japan is 100x worse then Katrina for example, and yet the people still pull together and help each other.

Very astute observation.

Might also be because the US didn't help anyone for days and weeks after the flood. The disaster response in the US was pathetic. They had no problem sending the military cruising around stealing peoples guns though.

Also, you're comparing New Orleans to Japan. Thats like comparing Forest Lawn to Cougar Ridge.

Toma
03-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but Japan cares about it's people, and IMMEDIATELY dispatched 100,000 military to help, with more aid arriving constantly.

The people FELT like someone was there to help, and did not feel abandoned.

Contrast that with New Orleans.

Now I am sure there are cultural differences, but the governments handling of the situation was worlds different.

89coupe
03-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Its an extreme comparison, I'm just praising the people of Japan for their high level of respect for each other.

broken_legs
03-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Its an extreme comparison, I'm just praising the people of Japan for their high level of respect for each other.

OK good. Cause it kinda sounded like your other comments where you diss homeless kids in FL. ;)

Agreed. Japan rocks.

NuclearPizzaMan
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Very astute observation.

Might also be because the US didn't help anyone for days and weeks after the flood. The disaster response in the US was pathetic. They had no problem sending the military cruising around stealing peoples guns though.

Also, you're comparing New Orleans to Japan. Thats like comparing Forest Lawn to Cougar Ridge.

FEMA was too busy with their invisible double-secret death camps and black helicopters to help. Also, Bush was an ineffective leader who picked an incompetent crony to head up the relief effort.

Aniki
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.slate.com/id/2288514/

Read that article this morning before i saw the thread.

Cool picture (http://matadornetwork.com/radar/if-anyone-can-rebuild-and-get-right-back-on-the-horse-its-the-japanese/)

oupzwrongthread
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Very astute observation.

The response was pretty pathetic, but do you remember, cops didn't WANT to go into the flooded area because dudes were shooting at them?! In my opinion that was a perfect example of how close that area is to the brink of total social breakdown. :rofl:

Even when they were helped and given temporary shelters it was a rape and murder fest.

clem24
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
That's Japan for you. I honestly can't think of any other country in the world where you will get this much orderly conduct as well as respect for your fellow man. So really I think the comparison should've been Japan vs the rest of the world, not just vs United States.

I think it was Aquamarine that posted a pic of a shop in the Japan Quake thread that had touques and umbrellas that they were giving away for free and people weren't going and taking them if they didn't need it. And articles all around writing of people lining up for things in an orderly manner, even if only for 2 pieces of buns, and when it ran out, they just turned around and left, no fussing. Some shops were even selling stuff at discount and losing money in the process. LOL what's funny though is when people are packing into the trains... It's a very orderly packing in. Very calm and VERY quiet too but you're packed in like sardines. I could go on and on...

They're not perfect though. Stuff like "saving face" and essentially chastising people that are "different" (i.e. disabled people, people that survived the atomic bomb, etc...) still plagues their society.

broken_legs
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Police tell looters its OK, as the police themselves loot during Katrina:

Un0PX0-nyIE

9-BFqsb1hC8

0DCTSEpFtOQ

5aqsFUK12I0

tirebob
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I think you will find that there were incredible amounts of people helping their fellow man during Katrina... The problems started after there was no help from their own government, and even then, it wasn't the masses looting etc...

Xtrema
03-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Japanese culture and spirit is commendable.

Then across the pond, Chinese are hording salt and baby formula worrying about radiated supplies. And mother was ready to leave 15yr old daughter behind for evacuation bus. :facepalm: