PDA

View Full Version : Need a large amount of cash (USD) on the weekend, how?

dawerks
03-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I am buying something in the US, and I need about $10000 USD, starting now. How? The banks are closed, I have paypal etc. But I would prefer to get cash. How?

I know the foreign exchange place is open on weekends, but then I still need the Canadian currency?

Never dealt with this situation before as I use wire transfers, but this is not going to work this time. HELP!

Unknown303
03-18-2011, 07:44 PM
cibc and td are open on Saturdays now aren't they?

Cos
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
wtf do you need $10k US all of a sudden for? You MAY be able to hit up a couple different banks but I really doubt branches are going to have that much US on hand. I would bet you will have to go to 3 - 5 banks to fill that.

dawerks
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh yes! Perfect, my mind blanked out!

4lti
03-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Skeeeetchy

BigMass
03-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 4lti
Skeeeetchy

you sound like the government

BigMass
03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by dawerks
Oh yes! Perfect, my mind blanked out!

remember over $10,000 cash and you have to fill out forms. So if you have 10k in cash plus some misc change in your pocket you can get in big shit if you don’t declare it. Just make sure you have less than 10k just to be safe and withdraw the rest from a bank machine down south. You don’t want to end up being renditioned to some basement dungeon in Syria for the next 2 years.

Tik-Tok
03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Go to the US and withdrawal from a bank there?

roll_over
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
open a us bank account at td and transefer from your savings to the us account

bitteeinbit
03-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

you sound like the government
HAhahahah. Yeah TD or some other banks, but you'll be getting a shitty ass return. Do you at least have 10k cash with you? If you do just go to some foreign exchange teller, they'll have a better exchange rate than the banks.

bourge73
03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Simple translation. I need 10'gs cash to trade weed for blow.

spike98
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Simple translation. I need 10'gs cash to trade weed for blow.

HUH? You need money to trade? BC bud damn near go's kilo for kilo for coke in the states? You'd be a shitty criminal.

bourge73
03-18-2011, 09:07 PM
^^ HUH? did I say G for G, O for O, K for K ? (maybe he wants more?).....:nut:

slinkie
03-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure 5k and up withdrawals = red flag notification so withdraw it at multiple banks. Idk how much USD they will have on hand though.

nich148_9
03-18-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.africanews.com/documents/1c/3b/1c3bbfdd0c59fc59af0e16ef017e0ee6.article.jpg

Mys73ri0
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
banks can flag you for suspicious activity on any amounts even if it's $100... $10k is the amount for a 'large' cash transaction...

Mar
03-18-2011, 11:57 PM
I've withdrawn close to that amount before, the tellers don't even care. I imagine they get some real high rollers in there at times so this is not that much.

You'll have to withdraw it once you cross the border unless you want to declare it all going down. If you don't, you're fucked.

yellowsnow
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
normally you would have to call your branch and let them know you want to withdraw that amount of cash (CAD or USD). I've withdrew $22k USD once, you had to fill out a form at the branch stating they aren't liable if you lose the money once you've signed.

i made sure i went to a secure room, stuffed the cash in a safe area, speed walked to my car and locked the doors asap :nut: probably the last time i withdraw that amount of cash. and it was for a car purchase in the states.

yellowsnow
03-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
banks can flag you for suspicious activity on any amounts even if it's $100... $10k is the amount for a 'large' cash transaction...

they only flag you if you are depositing an amount higher than $10k. not if you withdraw. it's for anti-money laundering.

dawerks
03-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Letcha fellas know on Monday. Suffice it to say I have not been this excited to buy something for about 10 years. Can't sleep, I'm actually nervous about something and it's kind of a neat feeling. Don't get old guys, it's not fun!

Konj
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Come to Calforex at Chinook. We have better rates than banks but you will be paying a little bit of extra because the rates are higher over the weekend because the markets are closed (to hedge our selves against uncertainties). Take cash or debit....

yellowsnow
03-19-2011, 12:44 AM
i highly doubt his debit card will let him withdraw $10k :nut: i know they used to have no limit debit cards, but they got rid of that a few years ago AFAIK

Konj
03-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
i highly doubt his debit card will let him withdraw $10k :nut: i know they used to have no limit debit cards, but they got rid of that a few years ago AFAIK

Correct, but there is a number on the back of a debit card that you can call to raise your limit or to raise your limit for one particular transaction. I just don't know if there are any customer service representatives working over the weekend...

revelations
03-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Konj

Correct, but there is a number on the back of a debit card that you can call to raise your limit or to raise your limit for one particular transaction. I just don't know if there are any customer service representatives working over the weekend...

I've done 8000$ debit transaction, a one-time authorization.

gqmw
03-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Go to your bank. The banks definitely have enough on hand and most banks are open on saturdays now. 10k shouldn't even be a problem.

Jeremiah
03-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a waive SC card for Calforex at Chinook - and im right across from there if anyone needs one

roll_over
03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bitteeinbit

HAhahahah. Yeah TD or some other banks, but you'll be getting a shitty ass return. Do you at least have 10k cash with you? If you do just go to some foreign exchange teller, they'll have a better exchange rate than the banks.

You sir have no clue what you're talking about. Go to the bank and you will discover this is not 100% true. The rich get richer for a reason because we know how to play with our money.

boarderfatty
03-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Banks will offer a better rate for larger US transactions, also if you have a US account the transfer rate is usually better than the cash rate because cash is not involved and there are no costs for bringing in cash. Solution transfer from CAD to USD account for best rate, then take out of your USD account without additional fees.

bitteeinbit
03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by roll_over

You sir have no clue what you're talking about. Go to the bank and you will discover this is not 100% true. The rich get richer for a reason because we know how to play with our money.
What are you talking about? He didn't mention if he had an account in US dollars, but if he did, I hardly think he'd be posting here on how to get some US$. Some banks might offer decent rates but most I've visited have really crappy rates when you just show up and try to withdraw/exchange in US dollars. The only time you get a "decent" rate off the bat is by doing a wire transfer to an American bank or an account in US dolalrs. Then all they charge is the transfer fee.

boarderfatty
03-20-2011, 11:51 AM

What are you talking about? He didn't mention if he had an account in US dollars, but if he did, I hardly think he'd be posting here on how to get some US$. Some banks might offer decent rates but most I've visited have really crappy rates when you just show up and try to withdraw/exchange in US dollars. The only time you get a "decent" rate off the bat is by doing a wire transfer to an American bank or an account in US dolalrs. Then all they charge is the transfer fee.

Do you have an american account with a big bank? me personally having one and also working at one of the major banks can tell you do not know what you are talking about.

On all foreign currencies except USD the currency exchange places will usually have a better rate than the major banks, but they do have fees not incorporated into their exchange rate that when added make is closer to the same rate, but calforex even with this will still be slightly better.

As far as American goes from a major bank, if you dont have an american account and require cash the bank will usually charge a little over 1.5% over the Bank of Canada Posted Rate. If you have a basic US account the cash rate will be slightly better. If you have a basic US account the transfer rate is usually around 1%. If you have a premium US account the transfer rate is usually the BOC rate +0.5%. There is no "Transfer fee" Just the banks exchange rate. to take US cash out of your US account there is not fee. The more US cash you are taking out or transferring the better the rate you will get, at $10,000 , $25,000, $50,000 the rate will improve, anything over $100,000 we actually have to phone and book a rate which will be very very close to the posted BOC rate.

The rate for a wire transfer to an American bank is no better than any other transfer rate, like if you were transferring to your US account at the same bank, but usually when you do a Wire to a bank in the states you are sending a large sum of money which is why the rate seems better. But with a wire transfer there is usually a $30 processing charge.

bitteeinbit
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Aren't you agreeing with me then? Why except the US$?

On all foreign currencies except USD the currency exchange places will usually have a better rate than the major banks, but they do have fees not incorporated into their exchange rate that when added make is closer to the same rate, but calforex even with this will still be slightly better.
I doubt this guy had a US account or else he wouldn't be asking about it. You probably know more about it than I do, but the reason I say this is because I've gone to RBC and they had a way crappier rate than the small Asian moneylending/exchange places around town. On 5000$ I saved something like 300$ than had I done the exchange at the bank. It's worth mentioning that I have no US account. Just my personal experience.

roll_over
03-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I was offered the real time rate and a $3 fee per transfer or $15 for unlimited transfers, but i know what what you mean if OP knew this he wouldent ask.

bitte ein bit what is the meaning of your name?:hijack: Bitburg woot woot

boarderfatty
03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Aren't you agreeing with me then? Why except the US$?

I doubt this guy had a US account or else he wouldn't be asking about it. You probably know more about it than I do, but the reason I say this is because I've gone to RBC and they had a way crappier rate than the small Asian moneylending/exchange places around town. On 5000$ I saved something like 300$ than had I done the exchange at the bank. It's worth mentioning that I have no US account. Just my personal experience.

Yes I am saying except the US rate because Major banks tie the fees into the exchange rates the fees associated with US are much lower that other currencies. the way banks sell US versus other foreign currencies is much different. Once the fees of currency exchange places are factored in, they are a little but not much better than the big banks. USD if you are just looking for cash I find they are both very close, if you have an american account it is cheaper than currency exchange places. I don't understand why people wouldn't have an american account though, there is no reason not to, a USD savings account has no monthly fee, you could have it just sit there unused for years and not incur a service charge. even the premium accounts that have by far the best exchange rates are normally $5 per month, but have their service fees waived by having a certain chequing account or maintaining a minimal USD balance,

Seth1968
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dawerks
Letcha fellas know on Monday. Suffice it to say I have not been this excited to buy something for about 10 years. Can't sleep, I'm actually nervous about something and it's kind of a neat feeling. Don't get old guys, it's not fun!

Don't get old guys, it's not fun!

WTF?

bitteeinbit
03-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

Yes I am saying except the US rate because Major banks tie the fees into the exchange rates the fees associated with US are much lower that other currencies. the way banks sell US versus other foreign currencies is much different. Once the fees of currency exchange places are factored in, they are a little but not much better than the big banks. USD if you are just looking for cash I find they are both very close, if you have an american account it is cheaper than currency exchange places. I don't understand why people wouldn't have an american account though, there is no reason not to, a USD savings account has no monthly fee, you could have it just sit there unused for years and not incur a service charge. even the premium accounts that have by far the best exchange rates are normally $5 per month, but have their service fees waived by having a certain chequing account or maintaining a minimal USD balance,
But U.S. account typically have dismal interest rates. If I have a normal CND checking account and a US account, are you saying I can transfer money to the US account (and back) with very low fees? Kind of like an internal forex? If that's the case it might be useful to open one. I've always been turned off by them because of the crappy interest rates.

Bitburg woot woot
Yep, not many people get that :bigpimp: