PDA

View Full Version : help I hit a car...

noyzz_boyzz
01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
While reversing I accidentaly hit a car at the back in the parking lot (I didn't even check the back wihle reversing :banghead: ), so I want to know what will happen cause the guy took all my info and I never had any accidents before even minor ones....this is my first one......so he claims that after I hit his car his bumper is a little loose and the back lights have come outta a place a little.....his car btw is a Acura 3.2 CL....

is there any luck left for me or anything I can do cause its my first accident????

help is appreciated...I am 21 btw

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

sxtasy
01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
either you pay him cash to repair the damage or you bite the bullet and take a hike in insurance premiums

ShOwOfF
01-12-2004, 11:40 PM
I would definitly try to make a private cash settlement with him. Especially since it doesnt sound like the damage is too bad. either way you're s.o.l.

Team_Mclaren
01-12-2004, 11:47 PM
I was in the same situation a year ago, i was back up in a col-de-sec but didnt see a car parked behind me. so i totally destory his driver side rear door:eek: ... Left a note and he call me back and we got it done privatly. I was only 16 back then and if i go through insurance i'll be FUCK!:thumbsdow

My advise: be a nice guy, talk nicely, tell him u perfer to do this privatly. If his car is damage then of course u have to pay for the repairs. but w/e u do, try your best not to go through insuance!!!!!!!!

hope this somewhat helps.... if u wanna know what i did u can pm me....

RiCE-DaDDy
01-12-2004, 11:47 PM
yup, pay him cash, and go with him for the damage estimate

noyzz_boyzz
01-12-2004, 11:51 PM
so even if its ur first time ur insurance will go up?:(

sxtasy
01-12-2004, 11:54 PM
yes, probably by quite a bit too

jeep_sahara
01-12-2004, 11:56 PM
yep. But ask for at least 3 estiites. You can't tell him where to get it fixed but you ccan ask for estimites. I just hit a guy first accedent i asked for 3 estimites and then i will pay him cash.

xkon
01-12-2004, 11:58 PM
is it not no-fault in a parking lot? I thought it was... meaning his insurance pays for his car, and yours for yours... IF you claim??

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 12:00 AM
ok the car that was parked was not even parked at a parkling space just beside another car...and also I may have minimal damage at the back of my car...haven't checked it yet..cause its night and hard to see...

kaput
01-13-2004, 12:03 AM

ShOwOfF
01-13-2004, 12:06 AM
I dont think the 50/50 thing applys when one of the cars is parked :dunno:

ninspeed
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I think I read in another thread on these forums that parking lots were 50% fault, no?
for some things... but if ya hit a guy when he is not even in his car... how do you justify 50/50???

Stratus_Power
01-13-2004, 12:08 AM
i dont know. my sis hit someone in the parking lot before and it was completely her fault apparently

u knw how u usually turn out of the road where all the cars are parked and into the "main " road of a parking lot.. she apparently was slow pulling ahead to see any car coming before she makes the turn and some kid in his dad's civic came smoking by and hit her front.

fcuk_it
01-13-2004, 12:08 AM
if you do go through a private settlement then make sure you have him sign a contract that you write up so he doesn't jack you, take your money and tell your insurance!!!

Zero102
01-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Hate to say it, but some people just like to scam you. I agree with fcuk_it, get a contract. Pay him cash if possible.
Since you're 21, you just got into a lower rate group. Have you had insurance since you were 16?
You will probably see your rates go up about $1500-2500/year if he claims. They will stay up for as long as 4-5 years. So, long story short, even if it's $5000, it's still cheaper to take a loan and pay it cash than it is to put it through insurance.
(Although, with the government regulations coming into effect next year, who knows what will happen)

K271
01-13-2004, 10:03 AM
No 50/50 stuff, you hit the car, your fault, nothing else to it, doesn't matter if his car was parked, moving, beside another car, you dinged it, don't go through insurance like everyone said, and just act respectable and nice. Maybe he'll be understanding.

Xtrema
01-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Agreed with all the cash comment above. Doesn't matter what age you're in. If you are at fault and damage is affordable - under $5K - bite the bullet and pay cash.

Otherwise, you just got owned by the insurance company.

1badPT
01-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I think I read in another thread on these forums that parking lots were 50% fault, no?

no.

Originally posted by ShOwOfF
I dont think the 50/50 thing applys when one of the cars is parked :dunno:

50/50 doesn't apply here at all.

Originally posted by ninspeed

for some things... but if ya hit a guy when he is not even in his car... how do you justify 50/50???

You're right - not 50/50

Originally posted by K271
No 50/50 stuff, you hit the car, your fault, nothing else to it, doesn't matter if his car was parked, moving, beside another car, you dinged it, don't go through insurance like everyone said, and just act respectable and nice. Maybe he'll be understanding.

Yep. If you are extremely lucky, he'll let you settle privately. When you spoke to him did you tell him you'd like to settle privately? If not, chances are, he's already got a claim in progress. It doesn't hurt to ask though since he'll have to pay a deductible if he claims - if you offer to pay the damages in full, you have some leverage to keep this a situation where neither insurer is involved.

If he has already placed a claim, then you are screwed - you'll get raped on your insurance renewal. It sucks, but that's the joys of causing damage to another person's vehicle.

Xtrema
01-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

It doesn't hurt to ask though since he'll have to pay a deductible if he claims - if you offer to pay the damages in full, you have some leverage to keep this a situation where neither insurer is involved.

If you're at fault, he's doesn't have to pay deductible.

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 12:56 PM
so would the insurance take care of the damage on my car also? and let's say I switch my insurance company to somethin else (I am planning to cause this one is too $$$$!)? what doies that leave me with?

1badPT
01-13-2004, 01:03 PM
If you're insured for collision. Again, talk with your broker to find out what coverage you have on your policy and what your options are. You should be doing something else first though.

Have you contacted the other guy to see if he's willing to settle with you directly? That should be your first course of action since you are fighting the clock - if he puts in his claim then you WILL have high rates on renewal. Its worth the shot to see if you can get it settled privately first.

Whether you change insurers or not, the AF will be on your record if this guy claims. All other insurers you approach will be rating you (IE charging you more) for the accident.

Originally posted by Xtrema

If you're at fault, he's doesn't have to pay deductible.
That is true in some provinces, but not Alberta. The insurance companies here in Alberta may (at their discretion) wave it, but they are not required by law to do so.

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't have the hefty cash on me (he was asking $500 for the damage :eek: )...so I have no choice but to let the insurance company take care of it... :(

1badPT
01-13-2004, 01:52 PM
You're hooped then :(

sputnik
01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by noyzz_boyzz
I don't have the hefty cash on me (he was asking $500 for the damage :eek: )...so I have no choice but to let the insurance company take care of it... :(

$500!!!!???

you got LUCKY... would be RETARDED not to just pay $500. You will be looking at an increase WAY higher than that for the next few years if you go through insurance... even if you dont have the money... apply for credit cards... ANYTHING...

Weapon_R
01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
$500 is peanuts compared to the amount you are going to have to pay in the next few years. I would have gladly paid him double that to keep it out of insurance, especially until I hit 25.

Xtrema
01-13-2004, 03:14 PM

Dude, if you can get away and make him sign a release for $500, you should borrow money and pay if of RIGHT NOW!

My bump cover got cracked a little and dinked in the rear quarter panel cost the other guy who hit me $1300.

If you're going to get insurance involved, bend over and get ready to be :whipped: .

And you won't get any better rate from another insurance company if there's a record of a claim.

Strider
01-13-2004, 03:19 PM

you will likely pay an increase of more than $500 next time you renew your insurance...
borrow the money and pay him back

kaput
01-13-2004, 04:06 PM

1badPT
01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
lol no worries. Just for your information, 50/50's are rare - easiest example is a multi-car pileup.

Starting from the car at the front:
Car 1: 100% NAF
Car 2: 50/50 AF
Car 3: 50/50 AF
... and so on for however many cars there are
Last Car: 100% AF

50/50 has the same impact on your insurance rates as 100% AF.

Even if there was such a thing as 1% AF while being 99% NAF, you're rates would go up.

sputnik
01-13-2004, 04:34 PM
to cars in motion in a parking lot are often 50/50 due to the many uncontrolled intersections.

however if one car is parked... its 100% your fault (duh!)

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 05:30 PM
might be stupid but here it goes....

how about if the car was NOT parked where it should be, meaning inside the parking space and not just anywhere...cause that was my scenario...:dunno:

1badPT
01-13-2004, 05:36 PM
If its parked, your AF. No grey area. Sorry. If he's parked where he shouldn't be then its up to law enforcement to either ticket him or tow him. That won't have any bearing with insurance.

Seriously, can't you borrow from friends/family/credit the $500 to settle this privately, it will be so much less than what you'll be paying when your policy renews.

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 05:57 PM
but the thing is...he said that before he noticed that the car was also moved in to the pathway so the front might need repair also..so that is more $$$$

kaput
01-13-2004, 06:02 PM

Team_Mclaren
01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
but the thing is...he said that before he noticed that the car was also moved in to the pathway so the front might need repair also..so that is more $$$$

try recommand him to go to a body shop which YOU can trust, tell him that they do a good job... and all that shit. ask them for a quote there and identify EVERYTHING that needs to be fix beucase of the accident.

Thats what i did, The guy gave me est. anywhere from 2.5 to 3g for his freakin door. I got my body guy to looked at it and i had a sweet deal to get it done for 1500. But dont just ask some kids to do it, find an actual bodyshop that u or your friends trust. get them to do a good job and get the guy to sign something saying everything is done and he will not hunt for u for other shit after the damge has been fix!

hockeybronx
01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Don't worry this isn't a big deal. Try and make a cash settlement, but if the guy starts giving you a load of shit telling you that you did more damage than you think you really did then involve the police.

He could try and scam more money out of you.

It shouldn't be a big deal though, just relax it could have been a lot worse, as long as insurance doesn't get involved it's no big deal. It happens to everybody at some time maybe this will be your only fault.

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 08:12 PM
thanks guys for all ur help...I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

:)