PDA

View Full Version : CompuStar Alarm Issue

JonathanLahey
03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this form, I have just purchased a 2007 Ford Escape and I'm enjoying the new toy very much.

The car came with a CompuStar Security System installed and everything seemed to working ok with the exception of the Automatic Start feature.

CompuStar 5532A-JR1600 (Both Fobs)

When pressing and holding the button the interior would light up and I heard some clicking 3 or 4 times then it would just shut off and the truck would not start. From the outside the headlights would come on then go off.

I tried to use the manual from the CompuStar website to try and figure it out. I thought at fisrt it may be in Valet mode.

Now, nothing works except the Lock and Unlock buttons. The Hatch and Autostart do nothing.

Can someone please help with a actual manual for the system, or some insight as to what may be the issue.

Another note, The truck does not chirp or make any noise when arming the system using the lock or unlock keys, and the light on the dash does not light up, ever. I have checked the battery in both remotes and before checking the blue light lights up every time I press a button.

Please help, it would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan

TE4MFaint
03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Jonathan,
You may have the remote set to mute, which is why the siren is not chirping when you lock/unlock the doors.

Few things about the remote start feature;

When you press the start button, do your ignitions and accessories fire up inside of the vehicle? Or does the vehicle simply turn the headlights on, flash a few times, then stop?

If the headlights or dash lights are flashing and the vehicle is not starting, the starter is throwing a code. The number of times it flashes = the code it is throwing.

Sit in the car, press the start button on the compustar remote, and let me know if the ignition/accessories fire up or if you simply hear a clicking noise and the car does not start.

The brain will click once, pause, then click a set number of times.
Count the number of times it clicks/flashes at you and we can get this fixed for ya.

-Kellen.

Mar
03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Sounds like the system isn't programmed, you have to teach it RPM levels and such in order for the remote start to work. Take it by Autodream and talk to Oliver, they fixed me up in no time and covered the work under warranty. All Compustar products have a lifetime warranty.

TE4MFaint
03-19-2011, 09:10 PM
^Looks like the guy is from Toronto unfortunately.

JonathanLahey
03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm located in Toronto, that is correct.

Unfortunately after trying to set the Valet feature to OFF using the manual I downloaded from the CompuStar website nothing is working now.

The only thing working is the Lock/Unlock buttons. When I press the AutoSart button, nothing at all happens now.

In the manual it says to turn the ignition from off to on 5 times in 7 seconds and then press the Lock button, the lights should flash and that means it is turned ON/OFF.

I have tried to redo the same procedure but nothing happens.

Is there a manual to get into the programming.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Jonathan

Mar
03-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Okay, cycling the key in the ignition is to program the remote to the unit. If you're able to arm/disarm the system, it's already programmed so you don't need to do that anymore.

What you need to do now is to program the autostart system, it's a very complicated system and I would advise you to take it to a shop so someone can do it for you. After the guys at Autodream explained to me what was involved in the process, I gave them a blank stare for about 5 seconds before pulling out my wallet. I don't want to mess with that.

JonathanLahey
03-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Hi,

To initiate the Valet mode in the manual it says to cycle between ACC and ON 5 times within 7 seconds. At this point the parkinglights should flash (they do not). within 2 seconds of the flash of the lights you are supposed to hold the Lock button for .5 seconds.

Another way to get in and out of valet mode is to hold Lock and Trunk simultaneously for .5 seconds. This however does not work either.

From what I can remember, when the AutoStart was flashing the interior gauge lights, it seemed like 1 then pause then 3 or 4 clicks after. then the lights went off.

As I mentioned none of this happens now. I;m wondering what I have done to stop the AutoStart from doing anything now.

Here is the information from the Manual:

While the vehicle is in valet mode, the only features that will function will be the keyless entry and optional auxiliary functions. In order to enter Valet mode, press the LOCK/TRUNK buttons simultaneously for a 1/2 second. In order to manually enter Valet Mode, insert your key into the ignition and turn the ignition on and off (between ACC and ON) five times within 7 seconds You can exit Valet Mode only by pressing LOCK/TRUNK buttons simultaneously for 1/2 second..

Regards,
Jonathan

TE4MFaint
03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Just a tip Jonathan, when you press down the buttons "lock" and "trunk" to put it into valet mode, do not actually hold these buttons down in attempt for the .5 seconds simply press and release very quickly. You do not hold the buttons down at all.

Give that a try and see if you can get any response from the car when pressing the start button down.

3 times mean door is open. so if the vehicle is a standard transmission this means the vehicle will not set up, I am assuming the Escape is an automatic transmission.

4 times means the trunk is open, there was no power lift on these, so trunk wont be hooked up, as the lock on the trunk will just be with the door locks.

JonathanLahey
03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Here is the information from the Manual:

While the vehicle is in valet mode, the only features that will function will be the keyless entry and optional auxiliary functions. In order to enter Valet mode, press the LOCK/TRUNK buttons simultaneously for a 1/2 second. In order to manually enter Valet Mode, insert your key into the ignition and turn the ignition on and off (between ACC and ON) five times within 7 seconds You can exit Valet Mode only by pressing LOCK/TRUNK buttons simultaneously for 1/2 second..

When pressing the Trunk button it would UNLOCK all doors, as apposed to hitting UNLOCK 2 times.

I will try this and let you know. Here is the link to manual I was looking at (R1600) which is what I have.

http://www.compustar.com/ownerscorner/usermanuals/old1way/1WAMRG2_manualE_F.pdf

Let me know if this means anything to you. lol

Mar
03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
UNLOCK 2 times? There is no unlock button. Are you using a 1 way remote or 2 way? I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with the 1 way remotes, can't remember.

JonathanLahey
03-19-2011, 11:27 PM
OK

Making some progress.

I have pressed the LOCK/AUTOSTART button quickly and now the AutoStart button is working again. The car is still not starting though.

This Remote has 4 buttons
LOCK (top left)
UNLOCK (top right)
TRUNK (bottom left) - when held opens all doors + hatch
AutoStart (bottom right)

This is the same remote as shown at this link.
www.compustar.com/ownerscorner/usermanuals/old1way/1WAMRG2_manualE_F.pdf

When I press the AutoStart button quickly the interior guge lights flash and parking lights flash once and nothing happens.

When I press the AutoStart button and hold it the parking lights flash then headlights come on for about 3 seconds and nothing happens. This repeats 3 times

Parking lights flash, headlights and gauges come on, stereo turns on and plays music. After about 3 seconds everythig but the stereo turns off and then it repeats 2 more times. After all that the stereo continues to play, I had to unlock the doors and open the door for it to turn off.

Does this help at all.

Thanks for much for trying to help out guys, I really appreciate it.

Jonathan

Mar
03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Could be either of 2 things:

1. You can't program the system with a 1-way remote. Need to find out if this is true.

2. Your bypass module is dead and your vehicle isn't recognizing the key. Trying putting the key in the ignition but not turning it. Now try using the autostart.

JonathanLahey
03-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi,

I don't mean to state the obvious but what good is the AutoStart if I need the key in the ignition.

My key does not have any type of security feature/chip in it, that I'm aware of. It is just the regular Ford Key with the regular keyless entry fob.

What does it mean if the key is in the ignition while truck is off and truck starts.

Jonathan

Mar
03-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLahey
Hi,

I don't mean to state the obvious but what good is the AutoStart if I need the key in the ignition.

My key does not have any type of security feature/chip in it, that I'm aware of. It is just the regular Ford Key with the regular keyless entry fob.

What does it mean if the key is in the ignition while truck is off and truck starts.

Jonathan

Can you just go try it? I'm trying to help you here.
All Ford Escape keys were chipped starting in 2005.

EDIT - Is it manual or automatic? Someone asked this already but you never confirmed.

EDIT 2 - Why is the radio coming on? That's not right, power shouldn't be going to the 12 volt line unless the key is in the ignition, otherwise the stereo's going with nobody in it. Sounds like it was installed wrong.

EDIT 3 -
and the light on the dash does not light up, ever.
Definitely installed wrong.

Originally posted by TE4MFaint
When you press the start button, do your ignitions and accessories fire up inside of the vehicle? Or does the vehicle simply turn the headlights on, flash a few times, then stop?

If the headlights or dash lights are flashing and the vehicle is not starting, the starter is throwing a code. The number of times it flashes = the code it is throwing.

Sit in the car, press the start button on the compustar remote, and let me know if the ignition/accessories fire up or if you simply hear a clicking noise and the car does not start.

The brain will click once, pause, then click a set number of times.
Count the number of times it clicks/flashes at you and we can get this fixed for ya.

-Kellen.
Did you try this? He just pretty much gave you the answer.

JonathanLahey
03-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Hi

So it looks like you are the pro, I'm just the idiot rebutting your answers.

When inserting the key and not turning it the Autostart feature works like a charm.

Thanks all the replies guys, this was great. Do you what has to be done to fix this? Also, can u tell me how to turn the chirp feature on again?

The ruck is automatic by the way.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Regatds,
Jonathan

TE4MFaint
03-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes, seems like your bypass either has to be reset, recodded, or a whole new bypass may be needed.

Best bet is to take it to a shop that works on command starts (make sure its a reputable shop) and tell them exactly what we have figured out here. Tell them the bypass isnt working and you aren`t sure if it needs to be re-learned, or replaced.

Also make sure you take them both sets of keys as well for it is needed for learning the bypasses for the Ford chip keys.

-Kellen.

Mar
03-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Your bypass module is dead and your vehicle isn't recognizing the key. Trying putting the key in the ignition but not turning it. Now try using the autostart.

When inserting the key and not turning it the Autostart feature works like a charm.

Called it! :thumbsup:

You need a new bypass module, it's about $90. Or some ghetto shops will just take an extra key from you and tape it inside the steering column. Good luck explaining that to your insurance company.

Also, can u tell me how to turn the chirp feature on again?
On my remote I press lock and start at the same time without holding them, it is the mute sequence.

If that doesn't work then either the siren is dead (check with a multimeter) or the brain is fried. I had to replace my brain 2 months ago because I had the exact same problem, the siren wasn't making noise. Very common.

JonathanLahey
03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

I will contact a shop out here that deals with these systems and take it by there.

Regards,
Jonathan

Mar
03-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I added information to my last post about your siren.

JonathanLahey
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi Mar,

I saw that, thanks again.

To quickly test the siren problem, could I not jus hold the panic buton down and see if the alarm goes off. Will this not tell me if the rain or siren is faulty?

*************UPDATE*************

I tried the LOCK/START buttons to turn the chirp back on with no success.

I have tried to hold the LOCK button and turn on the Panic alarm. The lights flash showinbut there is no siren sound.

Regards,
Jonathan

Mar
03-20-2011, 04:01 PM
If it's not making noise with the arm/disarm then it's not going to make noise when being triggered. Cut back some of the jacket on the wire just behind the siren and test it for power while hitting one of the buttons on the remote. You should get a reading. This will tell you if it's your siren (practically free) or the brain unit ($100 in labour) that you need to replace. The unit itself should be covered under warranty.