PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sauce

89coupe
03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Anyone into hot sauces? I'm a big fan of hot sauce and tonight a buddy of mine brought over a bottle of Blairs Jersey Death Hot sauce, 1,100,000 scovilles, it was hot, but nothing extreme I found. I had a whole table spoon full and survived with no issues...LOL

I wanna try something hotter now. I know there is much hotter stuff out there, but baby steps right.

Just for reference, a habanero is 500,000 scovilles.

Kavy
03-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Blair's has "sauces" that range from 900k to 16million scov units, yeah 16million.....

I have not tried Jersey death but at 1.1mil scov's that is actually close to where true "sauces" hit their limits and they start to only be used as an additive.

I picked up a few bottles of Blair's 3am and i use it only in chilli or when i have a loud mouth friend. Its rated at 2mil scov I believe. This is an additive and not a sauce.

One of my friends managed to get 2 of the 5am reserve at a food show a few years ago and it comes in at 5.5mil. He makes chilli with it 5 times a year, I have yet to finish a bowl.

I suggest hitting up the 3am, its is retarded hot and you can actually get it unlike others in the same range.

If you shrug the 3am off I could hook you up with a bowl of the chilli made with 5am (final flames game of the season is batch #3) and if that doesn't do it may god have mercy on your soul.

89coupe
03-20-2011, 02:07 AM
I never ate the Jersey Death with anything...LOL...I just took a tablespoon full and enjoyed. :D

Kavy
03-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Straight up tablespoon? GAH. You might have to go hotter.

Brad heres a link for you, this should do it.

Pick up a bottle of this, I have one you can try as well.

http://www.insanechicken.com/the-source-hot-sauce.html

It might be rated at 7.1million scov but i would say its more like 5mil, which is still retarded.

phubu
03-20-2011, 02:33 AM
where do you guys buy your hot sauces??

89coupe
03-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Straight up tablespoon? GAH. You might have to go hotter.

Brad heres a link for you, this should do it.

Pick up a bottle of this, I have one you can try as well.

http://www.insanechicken.com/the-source-hot-sauce.html

It might be rated at 7.1million scov but i would say its more like 5mil, which is still retarded.

Blair's makes a lot of hotter sauces, I will probably just keep trying their's till I can't handl it...LOL

Go here to see there sauce ratings.

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

Kavy
03-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Blair's makes a lot of hotter sauces, I will probably just keep trying their's till I can't handl it...LOL

Go here to see there sauce ratings.

Finding a Blair's past a 3am might be difficult as they are mostly reserves with limited bottling.

That list is insane.

Kavy
03-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by phubu

To be honest most of mine I pick up from food shows that my friend drags me too (owns a restaurant).

Otherwise the best option is to buy online as I know of nowhere local that has anything past 500k but im sure someone know of a place that has them.

Finding a good mixture of heat and taste is whats key. Blair's Mega Death is a top runner for flavor for me which is why I now want to try the jersey death.

89coupe
03-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Finding a Blair's past a 3am might be difficult as they are mostly reserves with limited bottling.

That list is insane.

You can order most of the ones in that list from that site.

bourge73
03-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Blair's insanity sauce. Order that, if you want hot. Please update the thread once you have another spoonful of that sauce.

Guillermo
03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I had a whole table spoon full and survived with no issues...

I LOLed. :rofl:

Originally posted by phubu

there is a shop in crossroads market that sells hot sauces. they have many different kinds, but i don't know if they carry anything from Blairs.

C_Dave45
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
.... I had a whole table spoon full and survived with no issues...LOL

I call bullshit on this.
I used to use a maddog's hotsauce that was somewhere around 1 or 2 mil just to show how tough I was. I could do it but it wasn't what I'd call a "pleasant" eating experience. Now I just like a "nice" heat. The red rooster sauce is what I use on everything.

Mibz
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I feel like I've read this thread before. Like C_Dave's post is a copy/paste.

msommers
03-20-2011, 12:24 PM
There is a little grocery store in Eau Claire that sells hot sauces. Otherwise the Carribbean store on Edmonton Tr.

Vagabond142
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Susie's Hot Sauce. Awesome taste, great heat without having a nuclear war in your mouth, minimal ring of fire afterwards.

Neil4Speed
03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Mad Dog Inferno Hot Sauce - 1999 Reserve Edition
"One drop and you'll wonder what hit you. Raging with fire, this sauce will blow your mind! Watch out, it bites back. This sauce is very hot, use it at your own risk!"
150,000 Sc

This is the most that I ever tried, just a drop on a cracker. It was kind of excruciating.

I will stick to my Sriracha.

DJ Lazy
03-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Take your pick!

89coupe
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Here are a few pics of the botte and package that it came in.

http://www.bradstaylor.com/images/blairshotsauce.jpg
http://www.bradstaylor.com/images/blairshotsauce2.jpg
http://www.bradstaylor.com/images/blairshotsauce3.jpg

Roarasaur
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Blair's hot sauce is available at Crossiron Mills, inside the fudge shop/restaurant inside Basspro. I used to work there so I can vouch for it's availability. :D

Jeremiah
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I had some Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce at a booth in the Miracle Mile shops in Vegas, just a dip of a pretzel in that shit destroyed my mouth and I had no drink, gah, and I love hot stuff too.

I normally stick with the regular stuff though, Srircha, Franks, Grace Jamaican Sauce etc etc.

arian_ma
03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Can you even taste your food when you put that stuff on it?

sputnik
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Can you even taste your food when you put that stuff on it?

No.

Those sauces are only for people that try to impress others with their pain tolerance.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41801_112923335404949_1174942_n.jpg

88CRX
03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
No kidding..... what exactly is the point of eating a spoonful of hot sauce?

theken
03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Funny as it sounds. The hallmark store by my house had a shelf full of blairs.

sputnik
03-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
No kidding..... what exactly is the point of eating a spoonful of hot sauce?

If you eat 2 spoonfuls you will be cooler than 89coupe.

Isn't that what everyone wants?

88CRX
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

If you eat 2 spoonfuls you will be cooler than 89coupe.

Isn't that what everyone wants?

BRB

89coupe
03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
The idea is a little goes a long ways.

I just love hot sauces, but the whole spoon full thing was just for shits and giggles.

Kind of like how you young guys drink till you pass out.

Whats the point?

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
If you knew me, you'd know that no matter how hard I have tried over the years I just CANNOT handle hot sauce/hot peppers. And it's not been for lack of trying....I used to power through hot wings and such regardless just because I loved the taste. That, and I lived in an asian family for 6 years and got hot whether I liked it or not lol....

They fucking hurt my mouth after not very much at all and, make me sweat like a raped ape.

What I find odd is I seem to have developed a psychological response because, as I read this thread and type this, my face started sweating and I got a tingle in my mouth. Happens whenever I think about eating hot shit lol!

:dunno:

SneakyNeek
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I had this stuff called Dave's Insanity Sauce, got it back when that restaurant RED DEVIL or whatever was in crowfoot. They had a big wall of hot sauces you could sample. one drop of this stuff would ruin whole meals. It also had a label on it saying it could be used to remove stains off your driveway like oil and shit. Haha dont know if other sauces have that label but i found it amusing. Ended up throwing it out 3/4 full, Sick of pooping out fire.

89coupe
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by SneakyNeek
I had this stuff called Dave's Insanity Sauce, got it back when that restaurant RED DEVIL or whatever was in crowfoot. They had a big wall of hot sauces you could sample. one drop of this stuff would ruin whole meals. It also had a label on it saying it could be used to remove stains off your driveway like oil and shit. Haha dont know if other sauces have that label but i found it amusing. Ended up throwing it out 3/4 full, Sick of pooping out fire.

Dave's insanity sauce is rated at 180,000 scovilles.

arian_ma
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
What is a scoville exactly btw? It's crazy how different people's reactions are to this stuff.

89coupe I think if I ate a spoonful of the stuff you had, I would be in the hospital.

SneakyNeek
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Dave's insanity sauce is rated at 180,000 scovilles.
Damn Son your crazy, I consider myself a hot sauce person "I put that shit on everything" and that stuff was to crazy for me. You my friend must no the definition of "Double Spicy".

89coupe
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SneakyNeek

Damn Son your crazy, I consider myself a hot sauce person "I put that shit on everything" and that stuff was to crazy for me. You my friend must no the definition of "Double Spicy".

Well according to someone in this thread, you can buy Blairs hot sauces at Cross Iron Mills.

Go buy yourself a bottle for fun and give it a try...lol. If anything, its a fun novelty to bring out when you have the guys over for beers.

Swank
03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
There's a store off Deerfoot and McKnight called 'Some like it hot'. More of a wholesaler, but you can also browse around several shelves of probably 100+ sauces and just buy by the bottle. I've been getting my Alberta Crude from there for a long time, very nice BBQ flavor with decent heat.

bourge73
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
is it really? I heard they use capsaicin extract and is much hotter. Near 1 million> ? If you can do a spoonful of 1 million plus..... your are a thing of legend,my son will read of you in the future. I for one love hot foods, and one good drop on a cracker..... had me on fire for literally 1+ hours. (proof of a full spoon? at the Beyond chili cook-off at the next meet?)

Guillermo
03-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
is it really? I heard they use capsaicin extract and is much hotter. Near 1 million> ? If you can do a spoonful of 1 million plus..... your are a thing of legend,my son will read of you in the future. I for one love hot foods, and one good drop on a cracker..... had me on fire for literally 1+ hours. (proof of a full spoon? at the Beyond chili cook-off at the next meet?)

this!

89coupe
03-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by bourge73

How about I just video tape myself pouring the Blair's onto a spoon and eating it?

LOL, they don't use pure capsaicin in their hot sauces.

Ultra Death Sauce - Replacement for Jersey Death Sauce (Red Habanero Pods, Cayenne Chilies, White Vinegar, Natural Pepper Flavor (Contains Soybean Oil), Tomato Puree, Pirri-pirri Chilies, Lime Juice, Salt, & Spices) with added Naga Jolokia peppers. 800,000 Scoville units.

I guess my original post was off, wiki has it rated at 800,000

89coupe
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Here is a scoville scale by a Hot Sauce fanatic.

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

VWEvo
03-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Ghost Chili?

7gsTxx2SuVk

TKRIS
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
IMO, the only Blair's product worth eating is their sweet mango sauce. The rest of their lineup tastes like ass of varying spiciness.
Dave's Insanity is the same: terrible.

Buying a new hot sauce is a gamble. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it tastes like salted vinegar and cat urine that someone has dumped some capsaicin extract into.

You really can't go wrong with CaJohn's. Their "Killer" lineup (Chipotle, Jalapeno, Cayenne) has been my runaway favorite for the past couple years.
Most hot sauces I've tried that are anywhere near hot enough to cause any reverence have a very distinct extract flavor. Some people like that, I hate it. I can deal with it in the ultra-hots, but those are mostly for parlor tricks anyway so taste isn't as relevant. I'm not interested in "normal use" hot sauces that taste like they came out of a pipe at a chemical plant.
These sauces are hot enough that you'll want to pay attention to how much you're using, and they taste amazing.
IMO, the CaJohns "Killer" stuff is as hot as you can get without sacrificing taste.

Professor Phardtpounders Colon Cleaner is great as well. Not super hot or anything, but it tastes wicked. It's a mustard-type sauce, so it's something a little different.

JZS_147
03-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I call bullshit on eating a tablespoon of hot sauce 1,100,000 scovilles and being fine.

Not really into the sauces that just focus on heat and taste like shit. Hot sauce should compliment your food, not overpower it.

Some very flavorful hot sauces I like:

-Matouks Calypso (all of the Matouks sauces are good)
-Susies Original
-Lotties Original
-Huy Fong fresh chilli garlic
-Blind Betty's pineapple hot sauce
-Tahiti Joes Maui
-A Little Nukey
-Extra Hot peri peri

TKRIS
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
FYI: A LOT of extract-based hot sauces will be labeled with the SHU of the extract used in the sauce. This does not necessarily directly translate into the heat of the sauce itself.

For example: To my palette, "Black Mamba" seems hotter than "Z...Nothing Beyond", despite it being labeled as 2 million SHU vs. 4 million SHU.

The SHU labeled on the bottle doesn't usually count for much, especially when you're talking about extracts.

clem24
03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
Not really into the sauces that just focus on heat and taste like shit. Hot sauce should compliment your food, not overpower it.

QFT.

One of my favorites is Mama Africa Zulu Peri Peri:

http://www.mamaafricas.com/

Have yet to find it in Calgary (only found it in Ed). Flavour is amazing and has a ton of kick.

I've noticed lately though that I break out with tons of zits if I have too much hot stuff....

BlackRadon
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Sriracha, it's nothing crazy hot but I out that shit on everything. Soo good. I'm gonna have to check out some of these hot sauces you guys have been posting up. Really big fan of Jamaican style hot sauces. Tons of flavor.

BlackRadon
04-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
What is a scoville exactly btw? It's crazy how different people's reactions are to this stuff.

89coupe I think if I ate a spoonful of the stuff you had, I would be in the hospital.

Pretty sure it's how many cups of water to completely get rid of the heat..don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that's what Adam Richmond said( man vs food host) on episode.

KandabashiDevil
04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
My favorite is Sriracha! :drool:

Red Rooster is king :bigpimp:

Mibz
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
It's a measure of capsaicin. There's some scientific method to figure it out. Men in lab coats and such.

In Scoville's method, an alcohol extract of the capsaicin oil from a measured amount of dried pepper is added incrementally to a solution of sugar in water until the "heat" is just detectable by a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper or a bell pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable. The hottest chilis, such as habaneros and nagas, have a rating of 200,000 or more, indicating that their extract must be diluted over 200,000 times before the capsaicin presence is undetectable. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity. Tasters taste only one sample per session.

clem24
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
It's a measure of capsaicin. There's some scientific method to figure it out. Men in lab coats and such.

LOL unless it's the same guys over and over again, I'd say it's not very scientific at all, well at least not overly controlled hahahaha.

Disoblige
05-10-2021, 11:55 AM
Anyone try Momento de Muerte from Pepper North before?
I found it at Superstore as they started carrying it recently and it's quite nice.

It's pretty spicy but not overwhelming spicy, but more importantly it's tasty with that hint of black cherry. So good on pizza, sandwiches, burgers, etc.

CompletelyNumb
05-14-2021, 08:17 PM
Pepper North makes good sauces. Thanks for the heads up about superstore.

I personally grab the entire 10 bottle lineup from Hot Ones every season to try out.

phreezee
07-23-2021, 08:56 AM
I tried Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot Sauce the other week; loved the flavor and it was just spicy enough.
Just bought $100 worth to get free shipping, lol
https://mariesharpscanada.com/product/fiery-hot-habanero-pepper-sauce-296-ml-10-ounces/

nismodrifter
07-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Perfect timing for thread bump. Found myself getting sick of sriacha, the taste is just overpowering on alot of things. Thanks for posting that one available from Superstore, will pick it up today.

msommers
07-23-2021, 10:19 AM
Would still love to find Susie's Hot Sauce locally but the struggle is real. Needs to be ordered from Antigua.

Disoblige
07-23-2021, 03:21 PM
I have Stargazer from Pepper North now as well (found it at Urban Fare, which is a spin-off on Save-On Foods).
Stargazer is much hotter than Momento de Muerte, but I still keep going back to the Momento because it tastes amazing with that sweetness from the cherries.

flipstah
07-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Valentina has been great tasting so far for me. Weak though

CompletelyNumb
07-23-2021, 03:30 PM
I have Stargazer from Pepper North now as well (found it at Urban Fare, which is a spin-off on Save-On Foods).
Stargazer is much hotter than Momento de Muerte, but I still keep going back to the Momento because it tastes amazing with that sweetness from the cherries.

I re-upped on the blueberry and cherry hot sauces from Pepper North. They're so damn good.

sabad66
07-23-2021, 03:35 PM
This stuff is my favourite. Good flavour and decent amount of heat. Only two places I’ve seen it in town are Island Foods in Eau Claire and also Latino Food Market on centre street close to McKnight. Worth stocking up on as it’s pretty cheap. Goes great with eggs, tacos, soups, chilli, etc.

ExtraSlow
07-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Valentina has been great tasting so far for me. Weak though

That's my favourite "daily" sauce.

Swank
02-13-2023, 10:52 AM
*bump*

Got this for Christmas and love it, an actual serious hot sauce, not just a gag gift for the label. 2nd hottest sauce I've ever had (next to Dave's Insanity) but a very close 2nd. A bit more on the runny side (similar consistency to Thai red chili sauce), excellent flavor. Good enough for me to feel justified in bumping an old thread. Posting this from the toilet for obvious reasons.

CompletelyNumb
02-13-2023, 11:23 AM
Wife got me a Mustard hot sauce and a Kimchi hot sauce from https://www.cultureshocked.ca/, they hold up well.

89coupe
02-13-2023, 12:12 PM

This is my favourite brand of hot sauces. So good.

http://www.aubreyd.ca/hot-sauce/

hurrdurr
02-13-2023, 01:00 PM
Hot Pursuit one of my faves lately

https://static.mywebsites360.com/f270844f9a12451f910679c4c550e6ba/i/b3ab0a407cb04db1aa41ec956bd13546/1/GCuCv726gZycFxatknDdac/hero13.png

Local too

JRSC00LUDE
02-13-2023, 03:21 PM
I'd put them up against any of your favourites:

https://www.deadlydan.com/

89coupe
02-14-2023, 03:01 PM
Any of you tried the crazy hot wings at Unicorn?

My tolerance is at level 2 which is 2million scovilles.

CompletelyNumb
02-14-2023, 05:30 PM
Unicorn's 3 & 4 levels of suicide wings are hotter than most hot things in Calgary.

ExtraSlow
02-14-2023, 06:43 PM
I like not very hot hot sauce. Cholula and the like.

ThePenIsMightier
02-15-2023, 01:21 AM
I like not very hot hot sauce. Cholula and the like.

There are people who like to keep exotic pets - the weirder, the better. Albino Gila Monster with two few claws? Priceless.
And there are people who pretend to like putting perchloric acid hot sauce on their food.

I'm told that both are people. But I've never really thought about it.

sabad66
02-15-2023, 09:55 AM
Probably already mentioned it in this thread, but my staple hot sauce is Tapatio. Used to be hard to find but now I’m seeing most grocery stores carry it.

Amazing on eggs, tacos, potatoes. Doesn’t work so well with ramen or pizza imo but that’s what chili oil is for.

ThePenIsMightier
02-15-2023, 10:07 AM
Probably already mentioned it in this thread, but my staple hot sauce is Tapatio. Used to be hard to find but now I’m seeing most grocery stores carry it.

Amazing on eggs, tacos, potatoes. Doesn’t work so well with ramen or pizza imo but that’s what chili oil is for.

Chili oil, you say?
I had never had that in my sad life until I tried it at Rocket Pie in Canmore. So good! I bought some.

Now I feel like The First.

hurrdurr
02-15-2023, 10:31 AM
Chili oil, you say?
I had never had that in my sad life until I tried it at Rocket Pie in Canmore. So good! I bought some.

Now I feel like The First.

If we are talking Chili oil, I hate to say it but these white dudes making it out of their garage in Calgary make an incredible chili oil

https://www.sevenspice.com/

No Salt or MSG so it's low sodium (if that's something you're worried about)

Add a lil MSG to the container and stir it in and it's fire, the extra hot is actually hot too.

Also buying from Pho Hoan Pasteur or Pho Chu The is a good option

suntan
02-15-2023, 10:35 AM
It's good, but only somewhat spicy.

JRSC00LUDE
02-15-2023, 11:26 AM
If we are talking Chili oil, I hate to say it but these white dudes making it out of their garage in Calgary make an incredible chili oil

Add a lil MSG to the container and stir it in and it's fire, the extra hot is actually hot too.

I didn't realize they were whiteys, it is good sauce. At least according to this whitey. But it also isn't hot for me, and I am a huge pussy with spicy heat.

hurrdurr
02-15-2023, 11:32 AM
I didn't realize they were whiteys, it is good sauce. At least according to this whitey. But it also isn't hot for me, and I am a huge pussy with spicy heat.

Yeah I met them at the Christmas market and have been buying it ever since. The Extra Hot I find to be a good heat on noodles and in soups - probably intolerable for most.

suntan
02-15-2023, 11:53 AM
Will try that one next time. I do like using oil based hot sauces since the oil draws out different flavours.

Bought it at Sobeys, there were only two of the normal left on the shelf, so they seem to be quite popular. Price seems high but it's actually very good value considering how much you get.

sabad66
02-15-2023, 08:04 PM

This is the exact one I buy now too. Introduced it to a few colleagues at work and they all love it.

4 levels of heat I believe. I buy the extra spicy and it’s perfect on pizza. Safeway and co-op sell it.

Msg idea sounds interesting…I’ll give it a shot when the jar is down to a quarter left

JRSC00LUDE
02-16-2023, 12:24 PM
Oh wow, I only knew about mild and hot not extra hot. Awesome

ercchry
02-16-2023, 12:46 PM
Anyone try Señor Lechuga Hot Sauce? Attempted to buy it a while ago but their Canadian shipping was broken… was more than the products… they have since fixed that, just placed an order. I’m in the “add flavour and compliment food” camp so these look enticing