View Full Version : Basketball Picks and what not

Nadz
01-13-2004, 12:37 AM
just want everyones opininonss
whos gonna win the east?
whose gonna win the west
and whose gonna win it all
and why?

also how do u think NOH are gonna be when mash comes back?
how about sac when c-webb makes it back?

pinoyhero
01-13-2004, 06:42 AM
1. Indi
2. Lake
3. Lake
4. Too much talent, if theyt are healthy and unlike Dallas they can actually play together.

no_joke
01-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the T-Wolves in the finals against any of those chumps in the East. ;)

I think it's gonna be Lakers beating the Pistons in the finals though.

pinoyhero
01-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by no_joke
Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the T-Wolves in the finals against any of those chumps in the East. ;)

I think it's gonna be Lakers beating the Pistons in the finals though.

I'd like to see Minni compete as well. YOu think the Pistons eh? Maybe but I think that Oneal is the answer for Wallace.

Nadz
01-13-2004, 09:27 PM
yea indy all the way.
i think their the only team in the league that can bang with shaq simply bcuz they got 4 centres which many teams dont.

also it would only make sense for minny to make it, but wont happen

shiet they got KG, cassel, spree, kandi man and wally

2 bad for injuriess

shiet u guyz hear about kobe... out at least 5 games

shit just gets worse and worse for them lakers... however i feeel that no matter what place they are in the playoffs, it wont matter, their team has far to much power and experience to need home court for nething..

K271
01-13-2004, 10:30 PM
GRRRR, the Lakers with out Kobe, Shaq, and Malone... 5 games at least.... Hopefully Payton can hold it up... George played a sweet game. And Mevedenko has some sweet post moves...

The West - Sacramento... when Webber is back, they'll be at the top of the game, best shooting and passing team in the league. The only team that really plays like a team. Defense has issues but they still have some 40 games to sort it out. Lakers don't have to play well now, they'll be ready come the play offs, when it really counts, and it'll come down to Lakers and Sacramento.

Timberwolves no playoff experience, not enough talent to over take Sac or LA. Dallas? Heck no, can't play defense, they're done. All they can do is score, and when Nowitzki gets a cold hand, his team is in trouble.

The East - Indiana... O'Neal and Artest are playing like Monsters. I like how the Pacers shut down Dallas the other night. Detroit can't hang, Indiana plays great team D and offense.

pinoyhero
01-13-2004, 10:37 PM
As K281 noted we can't count out the kings will vlade, bmiller and webber able to harrass shaq they have the best chance of success imo.

GingeRRRBeef
01-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
As K281 noted we can't count out the kings will vlade, bmiller and webber able to harrass shaq they have the best chance of success imo.

yeah that's what Malone's for. Unlike, Grant, Mevedenko, Cook, Sampson or any power forward/Center on the Lakers' team, Malone is a threat, you can't leave him alone on the offensive end and go double up on Shaq. You can send a send a wingman over to try to double Shaq but you gotta remember, Shaq's a pretty good passer himself. Ppl over look that because all the see is his post game. Kobe's just sick anywhere on the court. Payton's lost a bit of touch but if you saw last night's game vs Cleveland, you can still see that Payton can be and is a major factor. Plus, George, Russell and Fisher are just solid.

Note that the Lakers only need to make the playoffs, they can take turn resting/putting each of the hall of famers on the IL and they can, at worst case, make 6th or 7th place in the West.

If the Lakers are healthy and they only need to be for the playoffs, the rest of the league are done for.

GingeRRRBeef
01-13-2004, 11:05 PM
On a side note, I realize that the Laker's got 4 hall of famers but that's only this year. Over the past years, ppl hated and bitched about the Lakers. But I have yet to hear anybody whine about Dallas or Sacramento. Before Malone and Payton, Dallas and Sacramento has more of a stacked team than the Lakers. Does anybody remember Portland a couple years ago?

Although, Lakers could pull off the biggest choke in bball history by not winning the championship.

I think Sacramento has the best chance against the Lakers. I don't think the Spurs got what it takes to do it again the Lakers with the roster that the Lakers have.

Dallas make might it far into the playoffs if they can learn how to play defense. But you gotta realize, high scoring teams and scorers in general don't like to play defense. Playing defense is tiring and take away from you O game. A offensive minded person thinks like this ... "I know I can score and I know I'm better than you ... it doesn't matter if you score now and you are bound to miss ... I know I will score every time I come down the court ... I'll make you play the defense"

Ppl who don't understand basketball think Jordan is great because MJ could score at will but that's not it. Playing defense and offense all the time is what made Jordan so great.

max_boost
01-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Dallas: there doesn't seem to be any chemistry on that team, they remind me of the Portland Trailblazers

Lakers: Malone has missed more games this year than he did in the previous 18!

Sacramento: Just wait till Webber comes back, killer front line with Divac, Miller and Webber

San Antonio: Just take out Tim Duncan and it's over, I'm not sure if his supporting cast is over achieving or they are actually that good? hmmm

Minnesota: Is the year they take that big step?

Indiana: Ron Artest, disciplinary issues. J O'neal has got madd skillz, they will probably win the East.

The West is just way too stacked, the East only hope is for the West to beat the crap out of each other that they have nothing left for the finals.

Anyway, I can't wait for the NBA to realign itself similar to the NHL setup, way too many teams in the two divisions.

Nadz
01-13-2004, 11:49 PM
well in my perspective whoever comes out of thewest is gonna win it all unless some fuked up shit happens.

However i do feel that sacramento will slump when webber comes back for the sole reason that brad miller is playing amazing rite now, but yet webber gots seniority on starting spot, also divac wont start the game on the pine, so i think theirs gonnna be issued wit that squad
however i do think b miller deserves an allstar reserve spott.....YES EVEN IN THE WEST!!!

if dallas can learn 2 work 2gether and get some good chemistry they will be unstoppable, imagine a line with dirk runnin center, walker at 4, jamison at 3, finley at 2, and nash runnin the point

how about them raptors
they do have a preety good line up
carter, marshall, bosh and rose... i thikn they can compete with indy for the east... however im loosing faith in a.williams runnin the point, i think they need to trade him and get pilatcio in runin it(once he gets off IL)

A_3
01-14-2004, 12:22 AM
^ Yeah, Alvin Williams is a solid pg... but his starting days may be over, he really flurished under Lenny Wilkens but ever since the coaching change the spark has been gone, but for now leave him in because it's a tough call if Milt Pilatio is better.

Nadz
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
cc alvin williams and the entire raptors management made their mistake when he played threw his ankle or knee or whatever injury it was back when they made that great playoff run and lost to philly in the semis...

he shouldeve had surgery and took sometime off, but being the warrior that he is, hes played threw it, and its know starting to catch up with him...

i say they go for nash somehow in the offseason, even tho its next 2 impossible due 2 salary cap and what nott, it would besweet to see kid canada in a raptors jersey, i think that wouldd guaranteee them hoomecourt in playooffs....

max_boost
01-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Nowitzki is way too thin to play center!

Webber coming back may disrupt the chemistry but what if he doesn't? :D They have the potential to be an ultra dominant team, especially if Shaq remains injured.

Raptors are looking solid, man, I always say this, but what would it be like with T-Mac:D

K271
01-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Webbers return won't disrupt chemistry at all. He's the main man on that team. Miller will come of the bench. Peja, Vlade, and Webber is still one of the top front courts in the league.

Sac will be the only team that is a threat to the Lakers. It will come down to them again this year. The true NBA finals. Dallas is going no where. Nash is gone next year, free agent. If Dallas learns to play with one another??? Not happening, you have 6 guys who all want to score, and only one who will pass the ball. Oh and as well a team that has no commitment to defense. There plan is just to out score everyone else. That won't win anything considering defenses are stopping Dallas' offense.

Malone is still one of the best power forwards in the league. He will always dominate. I don't care if the Lakers are the 1st seed or the 8th seed, they will make it too the West finals. Too much experience, everyone on that team wants to win and can win. Phil Jackson is a great coach.

San Antonio is hot right now, as long as Duncan continues to be a monster they'll be fine, but eventually they cave cause they don't have the athletes to compete with the Kings and LA.

Raps have no room to sign Nash, they have to pay Hakeems salary for one more year... stupid, then they have Carter's, Rose, and Marshall's. Those guys don't come cheap at all.

Going to the Raptors/Knicks game on Monday at MSG! Can't wait, Starbury vs. Carter, it's gonna be hot!

Nadz
01-14-2004, 03:55 PM
shiet, in the east were still forgettin about the 2 time defending champs.... sure they arnt as strong versus their competition this year versus last year, but none the less they are the team to beat.

yea and max_boost that wuldeve been nuts to c tmac and carter both playin side by side in their prime, but its not very practical simply bcuz whose gonna take the backseat, neither player shouldd but it in the NBA shit dont work like that...its like the lakers back in their first championship run, kobe and shaq hated each other...

how about a rose for jamison tradeee
bring back jamison 2 toronto 2 playsidee by side with his fellow NC alum.. and salary cap wise that would work...

then dallas would get a proven playooff playerrr instead of some guy who aint ever been in the playoffs in his life.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
SA is gonna take it again!!! :D

Payton can't play the triangle offense. And their early success was because they had a all star lineup.

Even the slightest injury to one of those players is a huge setback for the lakers. They can't adapt and fight through it. IMO thats immature on their part.

Dallas, good, but not enough.

I'm liking IND right now.

But i think sac is gonna sneak up and bite everyone in the ass.

Nadz
01-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Payton will learn the triangle, hes a smart veteran...
LAKERSA ARE gonna take it all this year

how about rodman and his comeback trail 2 the NBA

yesterday in ABA, he played like 22 minz, pulled down 12 rebounds
looks good 2 me.
ne idea on teams that wuld take/want/need him?

RiCE-DaDDy
01-18-2004, 12:28 AM
did he retire early or something??

Nadz
01-18-2004, 12:31 AM
yea in 2000, he was waived by the lakers then by the mavs...

Hirjee
01-18-2004, 07:03 PM
i think the raptors could really use him, weather he would go to canada or not is a totally different question

i could also c the lakers having interest in him for some reason with all their recent injury issues and what not.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
how old is he tho??

K271
01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Payton doesn't need to learn the triangle for the Lakers to be succesful. The triangle is designed for people who can't create their own shot. But it adds structure to guys who can go nuts like Kobe. And when used most efficiently it creates open shots for everyone. All Payton does it put the ball in the hoop and it doesn't matter how he does it.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by K271
Payton doesn't need to learn the triangle for the Lakers to be succesful. The triangle is designed for people who can't create their own shot. But it adds structure to guys who can go nuts like Kobe. And when used most efficiently it creates open shots for everyone. All Payton does it put the ball in the hoop and it doesn't matter how he does it.

Payton is drive and dish, random player, and obviously the triangle is different. Payton can score, but that's not his strong points. His d, court vision and among either things is what makes him an all star.

What u say is understandable but clearly wrong. Lakers suckin ass.

mo_virgin
01-19-2004, 01:00 AM
No Shaq = No wins

accordboi_02
01-19-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Hirjee
i could also c the lakers having interest in him for some reason with all their recent injury issues and what not.

If you're referring to Rodman, that will never happen. he and Malone HATE each other... in fact, he gave the best quote once Malone signed with LA... he said that he wanted to comeback to the NBA just so he can prevent Malone from winning!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He was a great rebounder and defender, but I really don't think any team will take a chance on him anymore, he just causes way too many headaches for them.

Team chemistry and unity is a hell of a lot more important than 12 rbds per game.