PDA

View Full Version : Slim PS3 - Is one quieter than the others?

Zero102
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
My fat 40GB PS3 died last night, YLOD. I am borrowing a heat gun tonight to try to repair it but if I fail I am planning on parting it out and buying a slim PS3 to replace it with. The old fat one I have has extremely loud fans that run on high almost all the time, and I was wondering how the noise level is with the new slim PS3's. I know with the old fat ones the early ones were much louder than the late ones, does the same hold true for the slim PS3s?

We frequently use the PS3 to stream movies after our daughter goes to bed or while she is napping and the tv is only 1 room from where she sleeps. The old PS3 we had forced us to turn up the volume so that we could hear the quiet parts over the whir of the PS3's fans and occasionally we would wake her up when the movie got loud because I wasn't fast enough with the remote. It is important that whatever model of PS3 we get to replace the dead one is as quiet as possible so I am wondering, is there a particular model of them that is quieter than the others?
My thread title reflects my assumption that the newer ones (after the die shrink) run cooler and are therefore quieter than the older ones, but if there is a model of fat ps3 that is quieter than any of the slims then I would like to know that as well.

arian_ma
03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Slim PS3 is much quieter than the fat ones. I don't know if there is a difference between the slim ones.

THE GOVERNATOR
03-23-2011, 08:32 PM
my cousin has a slim ps3, an he uses it to watch netflix. so he's constantly streaming video, but he has never complained about the noise of the fans ever being louder. I still have a first gen PS3 (40GB Model) with a 100GB Hard Drive Upgrade. I've noticed mine is just as quiet as the new Xbox 360 Slim.