PDA

View Full Version : E46 M3 in Winter?

95golf
03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking about buying an E46 M3 to drive mostly in the winter. I know absolutely nothing about these cars so need some experiences/input.
Has anybody here actually driven their M3's all winter? What are the best tires? studded?
Also SMG or 6speed?
And I'm looking for a convertible that will be parked outside, so I'm thinking a hardtop might be necessary.

Please dont tell me you can drive any RWD in the winter if you know how to drive, or the car is "slower than dog shit on a hot day", etc. I am looking for winter experiences with this car specifically.

-Thanks

brokeass
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Its a RWD car with 333hp. Get a set of winters and be done with it. In the winter it will be cold with a soft-top.

j0nblayz
03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
why buy a m3 to drive mostly in winter? i would spend the cash and buy an xi, 328xi, 335xi, 535xi, etc...

if you are set on getting an m3 for winter, than atleast get a coupe instead of a vert.. why have a vert to drive mostly in winter?

however if you have a vert you want to purchase, then yes vert is really good in the snow/winter as long as you got a good set of winter tires. I drove my previous m3 vert all winter last year with no issues, i did have a set of blizzaks though.. You dont really need a hardtop, got a buddy who drives his vert also in winter, he even parks it outside, and the soft top still looks new to this day..

calgaryFTO
03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
why have a vert to drive mostly in winter?

:werd:

95golf
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
why buy a m3 to drive mostly in winter? i would spend the cash and buy an xi, 328xi, 335xi, 535xi, etc...

if you are set on getting an m3 for winter, than atleast get a coupe instead of a vert.. why have a vert to drive mostly in winter?

sorry i should clarify that it is one specific car that I am looking to buy which happens to be a vert

j0nblayz
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
prob not a good idea to buy an m3 for a winter car, its not gonna be cheap to maintain. You dont even wanna know how much a service inspection II is, let alone a valve adjustment job, which both of these maintenances are requirements for an m3.

If its a killer deal, then bring the car in to get a PPI, get a full list of items that needs attention or needs replacing/fixing.

Hardtops are hard to come by, usually goes for around $1500. However i have noticed people are selling them for more now since they are so rare.

But at the end, m3 will give you smile everytime you drive it :)

rojhero
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't understand why you would buy a M3 convertible mostly for winter driving. Perhaps you could explain?

I can only tell you about the E46 M3 Coupe 6MT. I'm not really sure how the soft top and the extra 400lbs of weight will affect winter driving so you'll have to take that into consideration. The car is very drivable with winter tires (I have Michelin Pilot Alpin performance winters), but I would not recommend it to be driven mostly in the winter. A testament to that is that I've only driven less than 1000kms this winter and almost always on clear streets. The car is clearly much more enjoyable in the summer. Here are two reasons against driving a 300hp RWD car in winter conditions:

- Taking the performance out of a performance car
The M3 is designed to be quick, agile, and refined. Although it has 50/50 weight distribution and a LSD, it’s only average in low traction conditions compared to FWD or AWD cars. There’s also power you will never use. The only fun thing (which I don’t do on public roads) is the ability to slide out the back at will with the DSC off. An AWD vehicle would be much better for performance and fun.

- Engine and Getrag transmission don’t like cold weather
When a car is designed to run laps around a track on a hot summer day, it’s hard to also design for severe cold weather conditions. The M3 requires a 10W60 oil which probably doesn’t allow for nice cold weather starting. I’ve never had to cold start the engine in the winter (heated garage), but I would assume it can’t be too healthy. Also, I find that the transmission is quite notchy when not up to normal operating temperature. In the winter, this annoyance is compounded.

Don’t get me wrong though. I think the M3 is a great car that can be very easily driven year round. I just don’t think it should be the car of choice to drive mostly in the winter. Hope that helps.

Dope7
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
don't be a pussy. put winter tires and drive it.

haters gonna hate.

95golf
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rojhero
I don't understand why you would buy a M3 convertible mostly for winter driving. Perhaps you could explain?

its a car I've always wanted, and I will only be here in the winters, so I figure if its possible might as well enjoy it

Originally posted by Dope7
don't be a pussy. put winter tires and drive it.

haters gonna hate.
haha this is the type of motivation i was looking for. I already know its not a great idea, but I need to know that its possible so that I can actually drive something i love

Sorath
03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
i wouldnt do a vert, but i almost bought an e46 m3 to drive in the winter, non cab though

eglove
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
i drive my s2000 every day rain or shine or snow, i know it's not an e46 m3, but still. slap some winters on and you'll have no problems. do it up homey

Dope7
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
yah not to sure about the cab. but a coupe why not. i would love to DD a Ap1 S2k with a hardtop :( :devil:

sillysod
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
my mother drives a 550i with winters everyday. Im pretty sure that you would be capable of driving an older M3 without crashing it.

rage2
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I've driven my vert on dry cold days (all the way down to -10C) and the soft top is perfectly fine. I used to swear by hard top convertibles, but the E46 M3's top is almost as good. Just a tad noisier at highway speeds.

JordanLotoski
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
I drive my XFR all winter with 20 inch rims and winters, No issues at all.

M3 would be fine with some good winters

redline
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I drive my M3 with winters all the time, it is just fine.

Mine is for sale good deal with low Kms :)

2002e46
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
i drive mine and its fine...pretty good actually...the traction control is awesome.

shakalaka
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
While not a M3, but I have been driving my RWD 350Z all winter. Threw a set of Blizzaks on it and it's great. Yea it still slips and shit if you aren't careful, but it's nothing that a little traction control and little driving skill can't handle. I say stop worrying about what the people have to say about this and just go for it if you really want to. It's not gonna be anything impossible as long as you are careful. I even drove mine today, it was slippery as shit, but it was fine.

rojhero
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 95golf

its a car I've always wanted, and I will only be here in the winters, so I figure if its possible might as well enjoy it

haha this is the type of motivation i was looking for. I already know its not a great idea, but I need to know that its possible so that I can actually drive something i love

It sounds like you have your mind set. It's definitely possible and I know what you mean about driving a car you've always wanted. I wouldn't get too hyped up about the performance aspect of the car though since you likely won't be able to experience it much. As j0nblayz mentioned, you'll want to set aside a decent amount for potential repairs and maintenance. Might also want to look into some sort of oil pan heater or coolant heater to help with cold starts.

Who's the lucky person that gets to drive it in the summer? It's gotta go topless at some point. You definitely have to come back to Calgary to see what it's like with summers on!

RX_EVOLV
03-21-2011, 11:52 PM
I think there's a difference between being fine and enjoyable. I drove my RX8 for a few winters and it was fine. Not fun but manageable. With a winter beater now though, so much more enjoyable.

M.alex
03-22-2011, 01:52 AM

I daily drive a 500rwhp 04 cobra 'vert that has no abs or traction control. Just 235/17 blizzaks, and I do perfectly fine. no regrets here. You'll be fine in an M3

Supa Dexta
03-22-2011, 03:36 AM
:rofl: ^

:facepalm:

Redlyne_mr2
03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Do you leave the city often in the winter? If you do go AWD, if you're always driving within Calgary an e46 with winters will work out just fine.

483hp
03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Winter tires are a must on that car. The stock tires are undriveable on anything resembling snow or ice.

A 911 Turbo is a much better choice than a M3 though. I've had much less issue with traction with the Porsche than the BMW. The Porsche is a tank in the winter. The BMW made me nervous on any incline especially in stop and go traffic.

yellowsnow
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I have an E46 M3 vert and I drive it in the winter (only just bought it a month ago) :thumbsup:

Just put a good set of snow tires, and don't drive like an idiot and you'll be perfectly fine. I don't find the soft top bad at all. It's never drafty, and I never feel cold in the car once the heater and heated seats get going. I have a 6speed, and don't find the gear box notchy at all once it's warmed up. Make sure you get a thorough inspection though. Check the VANOS system, rear subframe for cracks, and whether it's been properly maintained. A badly maintained M3 will get you in a lot of trouble. And yeah, inspection 2 will cost about $1500-$2000, so if that number scares you, the M3 isn't for you.

There's a bit of wind noise, and road noise cuz of the soft top, but I'm not bothered by it. As long as you know what to expect from a convertible, it's a nonissue.

My friends think I'm crazy buying a vert in calgary, but who cares what they think. I enjoy it, so does my wife, life's good ;) I haven't had the chance to put the top down yet though :(

I say go for it. if you have to park your car outside, I would get a hard top, or a car cover.

M.alex
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
:rofl: ^

:facepalm:

I'm serious :dunno:

95golf
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Alright thanks everyone, what would you say are the best winter tires I could buy for this car then?

C4S
03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
As long as you put winter tire on it!! No problem!

M3 cab will be much nicer on snow! (~ 48/52 vs 55/49)

rojhero
03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Alright thanks everyone, what would you say are the best winter tires I could buy for this car then?
If you want to go with performance winters, Michelin Pilot Alpin or Dunlop SP Winter Sports are well recommended. Usually they are rated for higher speeds and have less ice/snow traction. Hankook, Bridgestone, and Kumho are other good options and are likely cheaper. I would recommend going this route.

If you want to go with regular or studded tires, they're too many to choose from. Better just go to tirebob (Urban Expressions) and see what he recommends. Another place you might want to consider is Spec R Tire Service. They're a Tirerack dealer and sponsor of the CSCC (Calgary sports car club).

Also, you may want to consider going to a 17" wheel/tire combo for better traction. I've got some OEM M68 M-Sport wheels with 225/45R17 tires. They clear the calipers fine, but the speedo will be off by about 4% or so.

Check M3forum.net for more.

Originally posted by C4S
As long as you put winter tire on it!! No problem!

M3 cab will be much nicer on snow! (~ 48/52 vs 55/49)
Is that the weight distribution? I always thought the coupe and cab were very close to 50/50. Don't know if these numbers include a driver, but this all I could find quickly:

E46 M3 Convertible: Dry weight 3,781 lbs Weight Distribution (Front / Rear) 49.9% - 50.1%

E46 M3 Coupe: Dry Weight 3,413 lbs Weight Distribution (Front / Rear) 50.1% - 49.9%

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=2704664

Calgarian
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Cars are meant to be driven. The E46 M3 is nothing special by today's standards and it works okay in the winter with 4 snow tires. If you live in Calgary and don't drive your car in the winter when do you drive them.
:thumbsup: