PDA

View Full Version : need feedback for 1999 Hyundai

tehwegz
03-21-2011, 11:35 PM
My sister is getting a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon. automatic, 160,000 kms, silver, 2dr hatch, sunroof, has huge OEM spoiler to generate much needed downforce on FWD cars. price: $1800-2000.

Looking for feedback is all as im unsure about Korean cars from <2005.

wasn't sure what to think of the car when I saw it. owner had her new Genesis coupe with an expensive set of rims parked right beside it.

looks like this

http://www.autocityimports.com/images/products/WINGSWEST/WW-HT-F.jpg

thanks, I 'ppreciate it. :)

Type_S1
03-21-2011, 11:40 PM
It's a hyundai....they are pieces of crap. I'd give it to them they up'd their game in the recent years here and are putting out decent vehicles but these old tiburons are crap imo.

If she is looking for reliability from a little older car grab an older toyota or honda...cannot go wrong.

nixrx8
03-21-2011, 11:42 PM
A friend of mine had one of these and it never let her down... not to mention it was probably the most horribly maintained vehicle on the road and it still kept cruisin.

ddduke
03-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by nixrx8
A friend of mine had one of these and it never let her down... not to mention it was probably the most horribly maintained vehicle on the road and it still kept cruisin.

Don't know a thing about these, but same experience with me. Friend of mine had one and it never broke down, she also didn't change the oil ever.

tehwegz
03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
It's a hyundai....they are pieces of crap. I'd give it to them they up'd their game in the recent years here and are putting out decent vehicles but these old tiburons are crap imo.

If she is looking for reliability from a little older car grab an older toyota or honda...cannot go wrong.

yeah. but toyota/honda are too "popular". :nut:

Originally posted by nixrx8

ive been hearing positive stuff about its reliability. of course things break on any car, but ive heard generally good things about it despite not-the-best build quality on older Korean cars.

the thing is the price. my sister will be just using it for school, work, etc. i could probably get it down to 1500. i've seen some cheaper ones on Kijiji with lower mileage.

dimi
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Have a 2001 accent. Its a tank, no joke.

Ran it out of oil twice (500ml left). Crashed the shit out of it and bent the whole suspension and frame. Probably did over 50 neutral drops, and a few reverse drops. Maxed the thing out at 180 km/h many times.

Still goes, doesn't burn much oil, good fuel economy, drives straight and nothing has gone wrong on it throughout its life that did not have a direct correlation with my driving style at the time. I love the damn thing.

Offer $1000, no more IMO.

Kloubek
03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
It's a hyundai....they are pieces of crap.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hyundai had already made the move 2-3 years prior to improve their vehicles. And while they might not have been quite at the level they are today - they still blew away the quality and reliability of their cars in the 80's and early 90's.

OP: Inspect the car as you would any other - but don't shy away from it because its a Hyundai. These Tiburons are underpowered, but handle very well and are pretty fun to drive.

codetrap
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I had the 2000, and it was ok. Horrible on snow though. Then again, I didn't really know about winter tires back them. It was a nice enough car I guess, but I don't regret selling it. Took a bath on depreciation too... but I guess that's not an issue any more.

Guillermo
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
if she likes the car, go for it. hyundais are awesome. can't go wrong for $2k.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Tiburons seem to be tanks. A few friends have owned them and driven the piss out of them and they just seem to take it.

tehwegz
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
We took it out for a spin.

It seemed very sketchy, apparently a tire holding down drywall on a truck hit the car head on while going 110 km/h. The bumper and hood had to be replaced, the windshield is cracked and could break any time considering how rough residential streets can be. In fact the wipers sounded like they were getting caught on the cracks.

They also said it burns oil. I could even smell it while driving. The owner smokes a lot so it smelled like smoke inside, I could just barely make out the smell of oil.

The front brakes were screeching a bit and I could feel a bit of vibration when braking.

I don't think its had an oil change in a long time. They said theyve just been adding oil each month because its been burning/leaking or whatever.

Its clean inside though and has so much space in the trunk to stick crap when the back seats are down.

I'll most probably end up sticking with the trusty honda and give that to my sister when she starts driving.

they're firm on $2k but its looking like it'll cost another $1k on top to fix up.

rare car, I've never ever seen 97-99 Tib's. oldest ones ive seen have the 2+2 lights like those on the 94+ Integra's.

zipdoa
03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't buy a beat to shit tiburon, or any car for that matter.

Just keep looking until you find one in decent shape, can't be that hard.

dimi
03-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Forget it, don't buy someone else's nightmare

Guillermo
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by tehwegz
We took it out for a spin.

It seemed very sketchy, apparently a tire holding down drywall on a truck hit the car head on while going 110 km/h. The bumper and hood had to be replaced, the windshield is cracked and could break any time considering how rough residential streets can be. In fact the wipers sounded like they were getting caught on the cracks.

They also said it burns oil. I could even smell it while driving. The owner smokes a lot so it smelled like smoke inside, I could just barely make out the smell of oil.

The front brakes were screeching a bit and I could feel a bit of vibration when braking.

I don't think its had an oil change in a long time. They said theyve just been adding oil each month because its been burning/leaking or whatever.

Its clean inside though and has so much space in the trunk to stick crap when the back seats are down.

I'll most probably end up sticking with the trusty honda and give that to my sister when she starts driving.

they're firm on $2k but its looking like it'll cost another $1k on top to fix up.

rare car, I've never ever seen 97-99 Tib's. oldest ones ive seen have the 2+2 lights like those on the 94+ Integra's.

well, what do you expect for a $2k car? for that much money, you're really just looking at beaters. :dunno: (i know, because I drove $2k cars for 15 years LOL)

wintonyk
03-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Don't know a thing about these, but same experience with me. Friend of mine had one and it never broke down, she also didn't change the oil ever.

Same with my friend except he's a dude and didn't maintain the car :facepalm:

The only thing he had to replace on it from 2006-2010 was the ebrake cable and clutch. The guy rode the clutch like you wouldn't believe.

Phenix
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I've had a ton of hyundai's. 2001 tib was pretty good. but it had the 2.0 engine. i believe that one has a 1.8. still a decent engine.

I also had problems with the older tib in the snow. but winter tires wold have been a huge benefit for it.

zipdoa
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
It won't be as new, but older audis can be had in the $1500 - $2500 range and will be a world of difference over the hyundai, and don't have the typical maintenance costs associated with newer (96+) audis.

Look for a B3/B4 90 CSQ. Preferably the 2.3 I5, but the 2.8 12V V6 is OK as well.

Even an older 5000TQ or a 200 20V TQ would be killer.

Ven
03-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Great cars. But even the bulletproof Tibby can't take the kind of abuse those previous morons inflicted on it. Skip that car and keep looking. If she's considering a Tiburon but it's out of her budget she might like the Accent GSi, also a super tough car and because they're so light they actually go reasonable well and handle very nice. Quite like the Accents.

Guillermo
03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
^^i own an '09 accent, but if you're buying used, i would HIGHLY recommend an older elantra hatch over an accent, any day. :dunno: accents are great, but really only when they are used for short work commutes. i would HATE to have to use that for longer drives, or weekend trips to the mountains, etc.

vtec260
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
It won't be as new, but older audis can be had in the $1500 - $2500 range and will be a world of difference over the hyundai, and don't have the typical maintenance costs associated with newer (96+) audis.

Look for a B3/B4 90 CSQ. Preferably the 2.3 I5, but the 2.8 12V V6 is OK as well.

Even an older 5000TQ or a 200 20V TQ would be killer.

I would never buy any older German vehicles unless you know how to fix the electricals yourself, over Hyundai/Kia. Most Audi and VW car owners that I know can testify that their electrical system is plagued with gremelin once the warranty expires. I owned VW Jetta in the 90's and my monthly visit to the dealership soured my experience in German engineering.

zipdoa
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by vtec260

I would never buy any older German vehicles unless you know how to fix the electricals yourself, over Hyundai/Kia. Most Audi and VW car owners that I know can testify that their electrical system is plagued with gremelin once the warranty expires. I owned VW Jetta in the 90's and my monthly visit to the dealership soured my experience in German engineering.

1st mistake = dealership service
2nd mistake = buying a jetta

I've owned a B4 90 CS quattro (1994), a B3 Coupe Quattro (1990), a C4 S4 (1993) and none of them have had electrical issues. Infact, they have been the most reliable cars i've ever owned. The CQ was probably my favorite... It just needed some boost. Aside that, put at least 20,000 kms on each of them and never did anything aside regular maintenance.

My 1993 Corrado was a completely different story... electrical nightmare. early 90's Audi > early 90's VW

vtec260
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

1st mistake = dealership service
2nd mistake = buying a jetta

Went to dealership to get them repair it under warranty. Once warranty expired, sold the vehicle ASAP. Fortunately the Jetta started when they came for the test drive. If Jetta had problems, chances are Golf and Passat models didn't fair significantly better.

123focus
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Buy a 2001 Focus. I've had mine since 2003 and the only thing I've done to it is replace the valve cover gasket, pads and rotors.

Can be had for cheap as well.

slinkie
03-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

well, what do you expect for a $2k car? for that much money, you're really just looking at beaters. :dunno: (i know, because I drove $2k cars for 15 years LOL)

I'd get a corolla for that price...Lol hyundai wtf