PDA

View Full Version : Camera repair quote

HiSpec
03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
So my D90's GPS and USB port was damaged from plugging in the wrong cable. Going through FS's extended warranty plan, they shipped it out to their service center and gave me a quote of $215 + tax for this repair.

My question is, would shipping back to Nikon cost just as much to repair it? And is their service center in Calgary? Is there another possible option for this repair (location/shop-wise)?

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
The nearest Nikon repair center is in Vancouver. You can e-mail Nikon for a repair quote, and see how the price compares.

If you don't use GPS or a cable remote, you don't need to even repair it if you don't want to. As for the USB port, there is no reason to ever use the USB port unless you absolutely have to - a card reader is a much better option, not to mention faster. Firmware updates do not require the USB port either. I've never even opened up the cover over the side ports (usb, hdmi, etc.) on my camera.

Personally, I'd rather hurl my camera into a pit of flames than let anyone associated with Future Shop touch my camera. If I were you, I'd leave it as is or send it to Nikon.

HiSpec
03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Mitsu.

The reason why I want to repair the USB port is because my cable trigger use USB port. Unless there is another option for cable trigger that I don't know about.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
The D90 can use the Nikon ML-M3 wireless remote (Infra red, $20), but it won't be as easy to use as a cable remote. It also requires line of sight, but if you're using a cable anyways that probably isn't a big deal. You could try it out and see if it will work for you, then don't bother with the repairs unless you have to (or want to).

If you use a cable release all the time you might need to get it fixed, because all of them either use the mini usb port or the GPS port.

If you get it fixed, I suggest sending it to Nikon, even if it's more expensive. Your camera will probably come back in even worse shape from Future Shop.

If the repairs are going to be at least 1/3 of the camera's new value, I would try and live with the wireless remote.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/photo-accessories/remotes/nikon-ml-l3-remote

HiSpec
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Would you happen to know if FS sends out camera repairs to actually Nikon or just a 3rd party technician?

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Would you happen to know if FS sends out camera repairs to actually Nikon or just a 3rd party technician?

Its a third party unless something has changed recently.

Since you're going to have to pay for the fix either way, give it to Nikon. Call them for a quote, they might even be cheaper than FS. If you e-mail them a good picture of the damage they should be able to give you a very accurate quote without sending in the camera first.

HiSpec
03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Alright, i will do so once they ship the camera back for me to pick up.

I should ask them again, they CLAIM they got a quote from Nikon, but I don't know how legit that is.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Alright, i will do so once they ship the camera back for me to pick up.

I should ask them again, they CLAIM they got a quote from Nikon, but I don't know how legit that is.

If they say they're using Nikon, and the price is about the same, it's no sweat off your back to send it to Nikon yourself and have peace of mind. I'm quite sure they use an "authorized repair center" and they aren't actually sending it to Nikon.

When you ask Nikon for a quote, maybe also ask them if FS uses them as their sole repair shop. I doubt they do though.

If the cost/hassle is roughly the same, and if peace of mind is important to you, just deal with Nikon directly and your chances of having an issue with the repair will be very slim.