PDA

View Full Version : What V8 summer car to buy?

brucebanner
03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Looking to get into something relatively "cheap" (sub 10K). I've been looking for a 5.0L or something along those lines. I have seen a couple nice 5.0s, z28 and so on.

What would you guys go for?

Seems to be great example 5.0(1993):

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Ford-Mustang-gt-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ262849054

Another 5.0 (1994)

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Ford-Mustang-GT-30yr-Special-Edition-W0QQAdIdZ268197077

Good example camaro(1994):

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-LT1-W0QQAdIdZ265422973

GTA(1988):

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1988-Trans-Am-G-T-A-W0QQAdIdZ262063785

I haven't went to look at anything in person yet, kind of pointless with all this snow we recently have received.

Opinions / Suggestions ?

Tik-Tok
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
I'd take the 5.0 before at T.A. or Camaro... unless you have a mullet?

Personally, I'd try to find something a little older. A "good from far, far from good" muscle/classic for under $10g.

An old friend picked this one up for $6500 2 years ago... :drool:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/65wildcat.jpg

brucebanner
03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Leave my potential mullet out of this. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm actually really considering the '94 camaro, '94 5.0 or the '93 5.0. Can't say much as I haven't looked at any in person yet.

There is really only one classic I want to pursue to purchase and it's going to take more then 10k to get one.

Jlude
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
That red 5.0 is nice looking. Looks to be in good shape (from the one picture).
The GTA, you'll have to start wearing mustard color shirts and selling paper.

The 1994 link you posted is the same for the GTA.

brucebanner
03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
That red 5.0 is nice looking. Looks to be in good shape (from the one picture).
The GTA, you'll have to start wearing mustard color shirts and selling paper.

The 1994 link you posted is the same for the GTA.

I have other pictures of the '93 5.0 that were emailed to me. Interior and exterior look just as good in those as that single picture in the add.

Don't think I'd seriously look at a GTA, so I don't need to go shopping for some mustard shirts haha, but there are a couple of them that seem to be in great shape, especially for the age of them as well.

Cody D
03-22-2011, 11:35 PM
The red Foxbody wins this contest hands down, what a great looking car.

Benny
03-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Looks like shit on the inside, but damn she'd be a fun car for a while.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1980-Chevrolet-Corvette-454-500-hp-8-900-00-W0QQAdIdZ267235890

rojhero
03-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I'd vote for the 5.0. My dad had a white '87 GT and I love the foxbody look. I don't know if you care, but it was dead reliable up to ~120,000km in 2008 when he sold it. It started right up after mainly being stored for 7 years (with a new battery). He even drove it in winters :rofl:. I remember having to push it out frequently even with two sandbags and winter tires. Winter tires were crap back then, but I guess 300 ft-lbs of torque and no traction control didn't help either.

I'm definitely biased because I have a lot of good memories with the car, but I loved everything about that car from the v8 grumble to the pneumatic lumbar support in the seats. If I ever see the same car for sale again and it hasn't been beat on, I'll try to buy it back. Was really sad to see it go, but didn't make sense to buy it from him at the time.

The price seems about right, but maybe a touch high. My dad sold his for ~$5000 in 2008 and it was in mint condition. It sold in hours so we knew after we could've sold it for a lot more.

bourge73
03-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Mustang all the way. That red 93 is a beaut. Last year too for that body style so it is also a desirable model year.

Graham_A_M
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
http://catrestorations.autotrader.ca/used-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListing

/thread :)

I REALLY want that '70 mustang for $4900 FML

Abeo
03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
http://catrestorations.autotrader.ca/used-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListing

Oh you jerk... I did NOT need to see that link

03ozwhip
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
sent you a pm about my bro in laws stang. i would go stang over those except if it was a 1992 camaro RS convertible, fuck those are killer looking if theyre done right, not all mullety. good luck on the search.

03ozwhip
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

WTF i wonder why that shit s so cheap??

Tik-Tok
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

WTF i wonder why that shit s so cheap??

Good from far, far from good cars.

Just like the Wildcat I posted earlier, west coast cars that look decent from afar, but are full of bondo/cheap paint, and need TLC. Awesome summer cruisers.

Graham_A_M
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
^ He gets a lot of them from the states. Not all of them are bondo shit heaps from the Island. Again I dont know how he finds some of them, but there are some wicked deals to be had for sure. I must say, you're the first person to ever say that about a west coast vehicle.

He had a '73 Trans am from Misouri last year I came OH SO CLOSE to buying...
<---- still kicking myself.
:(

I hate checking out that link... I just see so many cars I want..... Its like a Coke addiction. I shouldn't do it, but its just so easy to check that site.

That G.T.A. is kind of a wild card. I used to have a '90 GTA, 5.0 5 speed. I was planning on doing an engine build with a big roots blown 383 sticking out of the hood, but later sold it stock since the amount of shit you have to replace to make it fast is just abysmal.
The Auto tranny on that one is nice, it can handle some decent HP, but the rear end certainly cant. Unless you opt for a cheap Ford 9" rear end, consider spending $2k on a Dana 60 or equivilent. Dont ever buy one with a T5 manual. The reason the TA's never came with a 350 AND a manual was because the T5 cant handle the "power" :nut:

Dont get me wrong they handle amazingly well bone stock, but for serious HP, you need to replace a fair bit of shit, or at least have it strenthened.
Much the same as the 5.0 I guess, but thats just my experience. :dunno:

Kloubek
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I know everyone in here is having a hard-on for the Fox body stangs... and they certainly are classics. But I've owned both the Fox body and the Camaro, and the Camaro is the better car in all respects - with the exception of aftermarket support.

brucebanner
03-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I am leaning towards the foxbody, that camaro is still in the running as well though.

Graham, that site has a lots of stuff to look at.

03- Have to look at your PM later when I'm on a computer and not my phone.

bourge73
03-23-2011, 07:10 PM
<http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1966-Plymouth-GTX-belvedere-2-Coupe-45-years-old-W0QQAdIdZ269474900> this caught my eye. I still say Fox Body....... But that guy's website is killing me Graham!!! maybe I need a 5th car?

Toma
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Got a couple cars I am selling.

I've got my 2002 Camaro SS, Black on Black leather, 65k 35th anniversary. Somewhere around $16k, t-top car

1988 Mustang, had a nitrous 347 in it that ran low 11's, with Tremec trans etc. Sold that engine, but I can build you anything you want mild to wild. $6k to $12k Depending on motor/trans/power ;)

2007 Charger RT, 5.7 Hemi. somewhere around $16k. (warranty for another 2500 km lol!)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/311345/fs-2002-camaro-ss-black-only65k/
http://www.dynomotive.ca/camaro001.jpg

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/311348/fs-10-second-1988-mustang/
http://www.dynomotive.ca/Mustang001.JPG

brucebanner
03-23-2011, 08:44 PM
03 - Sent you a pm back about that mustang.

Graham after looking at that site some more, he definitely has things that are worth looking at it seems.

I really wish this snow would go away, I'd like to take a serious look at that 93 5.0 and that camaro as well, both seem to be solid cars.

I don't plan on doing anything too wild this year as far as mods go anyways.

Full exhaust, gears and wheels would probably be as far as I go with whatever I pick up.

Edit: Toma, seen that you posted as I was typing one up. I'm looking to stay under 10K so the Camaro and Charger are out. I did look at your mustang for sale a couple of days ago when looking through the marketplace. Looking for more of a "streetcar" though, yours looks like it is set up for the track.

Toma
03-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I know everyone in here is having a hard-on for the Fox body stangs... and they certainly are classics. But I've owned both the Fox body and the Camaro, and the Camaro is the better car in all respects - with the exception of aftermarket support.
Not if we are talkin 3rd gen.... pile o crap slow ass Mullet machines lol.

Shlade
03-23-2011, 09:01 PM
The 3rd gens are garbage. The shitty 305's are awful engines and the 350s aren't all that great either! Almost zero aftermarket support for then and costs $$ while the 5.0 is overall a better car with endless amounts of aftermarket support for cheap!

Get the foxbody best choice and very fun cars that can take a serious beating!

Graham_A_M
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
But that guy's website is killing me Graham!!! maybe I need a 5th car?

Yeah I should've warned people lol. it's "the marriage killer" hahaha

To the OP; check that site often as it changes every other week. He seems like a great guy over the phone, so I'd call and ask if he'd locate a certain type of car for you. ;)

leftwing
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
5.0L hands down.

sillysod
03-24-2011, 10:36 PM
For a fun V8 summer car nothing touches a nice fox body IMO. When you get bored of it mods are cheap and they are easy to sell when you get married and have kids. :facepalm:

brucebanner
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Alright guys, went to look at two 5.0's around Red Deer today. One had what seemed like a very solid motor / drivetrain but the body was an absolute mess, definitely needed to see a body shop before I'd drive it (bondo cracks, some surface rust, roof had dents etc etc). So, its very safe to say that car is out of the running.

However car number two I looked at looks promising from the outside anyways (guy is out of town, said I could do a drive by and he'll be back in town soon to have a real look at it. Body seems very good on it, it is a 'vert with a new top a couple years ago. What looks to be new rubber on all four corners.

I know it needs interior work as the seats are not in good shape, but that doesn't bother as that can be fixed.

Here's car number 2 (I know the tail lights have to go, a new set would be ordered up ASAP)

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1987-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ247373420

Toma
03-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
Alright guys, went to look at two 5.0's around Red Deer today. One had what seemed like a very solid motor / drivetrain but the body was an absolute mess, definitely needed to see a body shop before I'd drive it (bondo cracks, some surface rust, roof had dents etc etc). So, its very safe to say that car is out of the running.

However car number two I looked at looks promising from the outside anyways (guy is out of town, said I could do a drive by and he'll be back in town soon to have a real look at it. Body seems very good on it, it is a 'vert with a new top a couple years ago. What looks to be new rubber on all four corners.

I know it needs interior work as the seats are not in good shape, but that doesn't bother as that can be fixed.

Here's car number 2 (I know the tail lights have to go, a new set would be ordered up ASAP)

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1987-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ247373420

That's lotsa k's

Is it a V8? Didnt see that in the ad.

vadeit
03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
I would suggest the 5.0 hard top and here's why.

Back in the day ('98ish or so) within circle of friends there was 3 fox bodies (I had the 5.0, one convert, and one POS 4cyl), two 3rd gen camaros (one 350 auto, and other was some kind of special edition with 305) and one 3rd gen Firebird (305 auto). What can I say, we were all white.

The covert fox was always having trouble with the top, plus it was useless if it got cold in the evenings. Was fun to cruise in during the summer but I was so happy i didn't own it and have to deal with the top issues.

The 350 auto was slow, my fox and the 305 manual camaro would walk it easy.

The special edition camaro was the fastest until i put cat backs and removed the intake silencer on the 5.0.

I don't remember what the special edition was other than it was all white, 305 manual, the intake tract before the throttle body was different and had different exhaust. Is completely possible that it was never a special edition and the guy just bought a modded car that the previous owner convinced him was a special edition. The kid did a lot of drugs.

My 5.0 never gave me an issues, got noticeably faster with every mod and was a blast. I still hate that I had to sell it in 2000 but I was starting 2nd year of post secondary and had no more money to play with cars anymore.

csb

brucebanner
03-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Toma - Yes, it is a v8 and yes I agree that it's a lot of km's. I kind of expect high(er) km's on what I'm looking at due to age though. Not much I can do there. Seems like a solid car, and if everything checks out, who knows.

Vadeit - Yeah, I go back and forth between getting at 'vert and not. I like the idea of being able to drop the top if I want and really, it is going to be a strictly summer car. So why not? Top is fairly new and apparently no working issues.

On Saturday I'm going to check out that '94 5.0 (yellow) and the '94 Camaro as well I believe I may make the trip down to Calgary to look at the '93 5.0 along with some others too possibly.

Toma
03-24-2011, 11:34 PM
One thing... if you take it to the track, 13.5 is all you can run with a vert without a roll bar.

Benny
03-24-2011, 11:49 PM

Fuck... Now I really want that '70 mustang haha. That's a deadly deal. Gotta be something wrong with it. Just gotta.

:drool:

Graham_A_M
03-25-2011, 10:00 AM
^ I doubt it, fly over there and check it out. All three stangs are from the southern states.

I know Im deathy wanting that '70 as well :( :(

bourge73
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Actually i' ve never those types of cars look so clean , run, and drive, and be so FN cheap. Oh no. Here we go again...

brucebanner
03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll have to contact that guy and see how much he could find me my beloved 1965 GTO for:drool:

J-hop
03-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Not if we are talkin 3rd gen.... pile o crap slow ass Mullet machines lol.

agreed 100% and last time I checked the 3rd gen was the direct competitor of the fox body, and it didn't get much better in more recent years, the F-body's LT1 was a heap of shit as well, over a litre bigger than fords 4.6 and not even pushing much more hp...

95teetee
03-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Benny

Fuck... Now I really want that '70 mustang haha. That's a deadly deal. Gotta be something wrong with it. Just gotta.

:drool: there is something wrong with it- it's a coupe:D

sorry-never was a fan of the '69-70 coupes-if it was a fastback I'd be all over it. Of course, if it was a fastback it would be three times that price-easy...

I need to find another old 'stang for meself :(

Moe Man
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
I dont know if you care or not but the 350 T.A is only auto.

you will have to go with the gay 5.0 T.A to get 5 speed.

imo driving any of these cars without a manual is pointless and you will regret it.

its getting harder and harder to find clean 5.0L stangs. these cars are only going up in price.

brucebanner
03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Went and looked at several 5.0L's today and I think I decided on which one. I'll wait until its in my possession before I say though:D

Moe Man, I would love to have my hands on your old 5.0, that was a perfect example of one.

Ugh, today was such a teaser day. I want summer NOW.

Anomaly
03-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
The 3rd gens are garbage. The shitty 305's are awful engines and the 350s aren't all that great either! Almost zero aftermarket support for then and costs $$ while the 5.0 is overall a better car with endless amounts of aftermarket support for cheap!

Get the foxbody best choice and very fun cars that can take a serious beating!

So much thirdgen hate...they really aren't bad cars. They out handle the fox bodies and although the EFI is pretty dinosaur, you have lots of aftermarket EFI intake options... Stealth ram, TPiS miniram, Super ram, modified TPI base/runners...not to mention tons of head choices.

And the best mod of all....
LSx swap with a T56

:clap:

Kloubek
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Just came back into this thread, and was somewhat surprised to see the F-body hate. I love people love Mustangs, but the facts are the facts.

First of all, I was under the impression the 94's had either the V6, or the LT1. I don't believe they even offered the 305 on the 3rd gens, so whether or not you like the 305 is a moot point. (However, for the record, I was pretty much even with my buddy's 88 Fox Body with my 91 305 Camaro. But he had exhaust, headers, and a chip)

The 350 offered 275 horsepower and 325 torque, compared to the Fox body which offered just over 200hp, and about 275 ftls of torque. Yes, the F-body weighted about 200 lbs more but the extra power more than made up for the difference. Stock for stock, 3rd gen Z28's are by far a quicker car than a Fox body.

Then there is the handling. Mustangs handled like shit in those years. The F-body felt heavy, but still handled better than the Fox body. (Not that I would call the handling exactly "good".)

Let's face it... neither vehicle offered the apex of automotive quality - though I probably would give a slight edge to the Mustang.

Again, the only advantage I really see with a Fox body (besides the cultlike following) is much better aftermarket parts support.

Granted, this is all my own opinion. But coming from a guy who has owned all the vehicles mentioned, I'd like to think that accounts for more than those who simply say "F bodies are crap" - just because they own(ed) a Mustang, or are going by what they've heard from Italy Joe down the street.

Neil4Speed
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I know your not exactly looking for these kinds of "toys" as far as a high power summer car, but just something to look at. Unique, powerful, and comfortable.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-BMW-8-Series-850i-red-black-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ213468385

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-S600-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ268033150

Kloubek
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I know you're trying to be helpful Neil, and you still might be being exactly that. I do, however, find it amusing you're suggesting V12 cars when the subject of the thread is V8... :)

With that said, that 850 looks gorgeous. Shame they were not really very quick cars with a big V12...

Neil4Speed
03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I know you're trying to be helpful Neil, and you still might be being exactly that. I do, however, find it amusing you're suggesting V12 cars when the subject of the thread is V8... :)

With that said, that 850 looks gorgeous. Shame they were not really very quick cars with a big V12...

Lol, your totally right, I know it says V8 right in the title, but whats wrong with a few extra cylinders. :D

I was actually looking for the V8 variants of each car, (840, and the S500 coupe), but couldn't find either in the used market. Both of these I have been eying myself for a period of time (just an enthusiast as I do love the styling of both).

I have never driven an 850, but recall the same thing being stated with reviews - The power output is also nothing really staggering (295hp/330tq) - just a cool car. Amazing drag coefficent, and a true luxury cruiser as BMW's flagship at the time.

I have driven a W140 S-Class, and while an exceptionally heavy car, really has a "teutonic" powerful feeling to it. I don't think I have been in car which felt more "solid". The S600 at least had power figures to back up the V12, with both HP and TQ in the 400 range IIRC. The example that I linked to wouldn't exactly be my "preferred example", but these cars really do look formidable and classy in real life

Of course, looks are subjective, but I personally think that both of these still look pretty bad ass today. Both are not for everybody however, I and I understand that.

Don't want to derail the thread though, back to V8 Muscle discussion!

Graham_A_M
03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
^ Those 850I's SHOULD have been block stoppers. A 5.0 V12 by BMW??!!!!!!

COUNT ME IN!!!! problem is that engine just sucked. Lacklaster performance and uber high maintenance requirements. A lot of people that own them say they are your worst nightmare past 200k kms, but they get a good taste of things to come starting at about 130-140k. as they require countless specialty parts that BMW no longer makes.
:rolleyes: Have fun trying to rebuild a german V12. with pistons & cylinder linings that are no longer made and cant be found anywhere. You'd have some serious mis-matching and machining to do. Like I say, have fun doing that on a V12, and an almost gutless one at that. :rolleyes:
Dont get me wrong 335 tq isn't anything to thumb your nose to, but I think BMW still really dropped the ball on what that engine COULD have been.

No for German Muscle, I'd pick up or import a good early 90's SL500 anyday of the week. The F1 technology that went into that award winning engine is incredible. Even today their still very quick cars, bone stock even.
:thumbsup:

brucebanner
03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Does anyone have a truck trailer that would want to make some money and take the car up to Red Deer / Blackfalds? The money they want to tow is rediculous and I don't want to wait for the weather to break to drive, roads still won't be swept.

If anyone does or knows someone, please send me a PM

Thanks guys.

Kloubek
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Did Aaron (on here) sell his S600? That would have been an even better bet since it was real cheap for the low k.

Anyway OP, what about this? Very good deal for what it is. I'd rather have this over a Fox body any day - if for no other reason than it had a style which was only available for 2 model years.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-Pontiac-Trans-Am-GTA-W0QQAdIdZ262017331

Graham_A_M
03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Rent a truck & car dolly. Or at least hire spikers with his truck, then rent a griped or dollyto tow it with ;)

bourge73
03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
<http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Mazda-RX-7-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ269752404> ahhh?

Tik-Tok
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
&lt;http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Mazda-RX-7-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ269752404&gt; ahhh?

Would not trust...

we took 35000 off the block

Anyone who doesn't know that "35 thous." means 0.035 and not 35,000, probably doesn't have a clue to what was really done to the engine.

Kloubek
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
True enough. But if the engine runs properly that car would be bad-ass. I saw it earlier on Kijiji as well and though... hmmm.... that'd be interesting. Good price too - if it isn't a piece.

brucebanner
03-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I have one of the cars lined up to purchase, no monies exchanged hands yet but it "sold" unless he sells it from underneath me.

Pictures to come.

brucebanner
04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Despite the shitty weather, I went to go pick up my "new" car.

It's a 1993 Mustang Gt 5.0L with 132,000kms and it's all factory except for an x-pipe back exhaust.

On to some (crappy cell phone) pictures:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/IMG-20110402-00018.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/IMG-20110402-00019.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/RockyViewNo44-20110402-00024.jpg

And a few others from nicer weather:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/bruceodonnell_/photo4.jpg

Don't plan on changing too much this summer, just enjoy the car. I'll probably put in some 3:73's. Maybe new wheels and Headers back exhaust, nothing really other then that though.

Cos
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Very nice! Super Jealous.

What did you end up paying?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow that is NICE! Congrats.

brucebanner
04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys.

Cos, I ended up walking away with it for $7500. For everything that I looked at and what everyone else wanted, I don't think I could of come out with anything nicer even I got something cheaper and put money into it. Can't wait until weather breaks and streets are being swept!

TorqueDog
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Shit, that looks to be in really good shape. Nice buy!

Kloubek
04-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Nice condition. Great low (for the year) mileage example. Congrats!

bourge73
04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
OMG its kind of twin brother is forsale....<http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Ford-Mustang-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ272294994>

Graham_A_M
04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
^ No shit... wow. Whats the chances of that happening. Only a piddily 35k more.
:eek:

To the OP, you should really check out some goodies by TrickFlow, they make some pretty incredible things for the Fox Bodies.
:drool:

brucebanner
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Holy shit. Of course there is another great example for sale.

New paint :cry:

Someone will be happy with that one too. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Graham, I'm starting to look around now and see what route I may take after summer. Tinker with the 302 or just stroke to a 347 or something like that.

One of the cars I looked at, the guy that owned the car actually had another fox body himself. 331 stroker built with a supercharger (can't remember the specs) but he was claiming 6xxhp and that thing sounded MEAN. So that car had my mind running from the start.

Shlade
04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Go pick up a paxton

Their cheap as fuck

brucebanner
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Had her out for a drive the other day, couldn't resist.

A little video clip and I'll add a few others later today.

xVB0OGtTVWE

Crymson
04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
But but but.. without a rag-top down, how can your hair blow?

Graham_A_M
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Holy shit. Of course there is another great example for sale.

New paint :cry:

Someone will be happy with that one too. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Graham, I'm starting to look around now and see what route I may take after summer. Tinker with the 302 or just stroke to a 347 or something like that.

One of the cars I looked at, the guy that owned the car actually had another fox body himself. 331 stroker built with a supercharger (can't remember the specs) but he was claiming 6xxhp and that thing sounded MEAN. So that car had my mind running from the start.

If you're interested in any sort of build, talk to my neighbor steve. It's this guy
http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=38718
He has an '87 5.0 that's currently 600hp (NA, all engine) with the stock bottom end and T5 tranny, needless to say he knows WTF he's talking about lol. ;)

Jlude
04-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Looks to be in fantastic shape!

Where is the car from (from license plate holder)?

treg50
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
T-Bird
Cutlass Supreme Brougham

bourge73
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
sounds good, should have launched harder ;)

Graham_A_M
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by treg50
T-Bird
Cutlass Supreme Brougham
:nut:
I'd run far and hard from both for a summer car."hey babe, want to go for a ride in my 200hp, 5L '89 cutlass? Just let me drop off my grandma first, then you can ride shotgun"

Btw, about that 600hp NA build, he did that for under $5k too I forgot to mention ;) it's a high 11sec car at race city.
I think he's almost finished the twin turbo build he's doing on it

bourge73
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
even worse more like 140 hp...hahaa

treg50
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Man that Mustang sounds really good.

:nut:
I'd run far and hard from both for a summer car.&quot;hey babe, want to go for a ride in my 200hp, 5L '89 cutlass? Just let me drop off my grandma first, then you can ride shotgun&quot;

:rofl: haha, true, true...

I was thinking the '86 Cutlass Supreme sedan... plus velour BENCH seating front and rear. Girls love the velour, lol. Good times in that backseat...:D

HiTempguy1
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Had her out for a drive the other day, couldn't resist.

A little video clip and I'll add a few others later today.

Ahaha, I know that road well :thumbsup:

brucebanner
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Graham_A_M: I think I will have to send a message his way, that some serious numbers, for little $$!

Jlude: It's in pretty good shape, I'm really happy with it. The car is originally from Vancity.

bourge73: That's about as hard as the car has been driven in years I'm sure (the guy I bought it off of seems to baby his stuff). I'll be put through its paces I'm sure when it's out for the summer.

HiTempguy1: First time I was down that road, it has potential for sure haha.

Still waiting for my buddy that took the vids to send the other ones to me. I think these vids are going to get me by until the car is out.

bourge73
04-08-2011, 08:24 PM
well this really makes me want to buy another 5.0, I ve had an 85 GT, and a 88 LX and man it may be time for another, you bastard HAHAH jk

sillysod
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Man that Mustang sounds really good.

That's one thing about V8 Mustangs, they always sound awesome. X-pipe cat delete for a couple hundred bucks and they sound absolutely amazing.

My '04 wasn't fast (12.9 1/4 mile) but I never used the radio in that car, just listened to that glorious engine. Man I miss that car :(. My Audi is quite a bit quicker, but the 4 banger and turbo blow off still doesn't hold a candle to that gargly V8.

Kloubek
04-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

That's one thing about V8 Mustangs, they always sound awesome.

Agreed. Was never really impressed by their stock performance until the most recent models, but those old 5.0's were one of the best sounding engines ever. Even without exhaust work like the x-pipe, they still sounded pretty nice stock. Add a couple hundred to them and they are simply music.

CUG
04-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Awesome car dude. I can't believe how much aftermarket awesome those cars still have.

Shlade
04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

That's one thing about V8 Mustangs, they always sound awesome. X-pipe cat delete for a couple hundred bucks and they sound absolutely amazing.

My '04 wasn't fast (12.9 1/4 mile) but I never used the radio in that car, just listened to that glorious engine. Man I miss that car :(. My Audi is quite a bit quicker, but the 4 banger and turbo blow off still doesn't hold a candle to that gargly V8.

What did you have done to the 04?

Moe Man
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
man that sounds good. I miss my 5.0, the guys was selling it on kijiji for 12500 not too long ago.

brucebanner
04-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
man that sounds good. I miss my 5.0, the guys was selling it on kijiji for 12500 not too long ago.

Thanks, I WISH I was in the market for one last year when you were selling yours, that was a beautiful car. What did you have done besides the s/c drivetrain wise? Is there a build thread?

Now that you've had the SVT for a while, do you enjoy it as much/more then your old 5.0(SVT would be much more of a car I know but just curious on personal preference)?

Ekliptix
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Your GT looks super clean! Nice buy. The black interior are the best too (imo).

If you want more power, chat with Toma. I think he did the install and tune of an ebay twin turbo kit in a stock GT like yours. It made a shit load of power, for cheap.

Toma
04-09-2011, 04:10 PM

If you're interested in any sort of build, talk to my neighbor steve. It's this guy
http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&amp;action=getinfo&amp;userid=38718
He has an '87 5.0 that's currently 600hp (NA, all engine) with the stock bottom end and T5 tranny, needless to say he knows WTF he's talking about lol. ;)

Bahahahahaha. Not a fuckin chance.

Toma
04-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Btw, about that 600hp NA build, he did that for under $5k too I forgot to mention ;) it's a high 11sec car at race city.
I think he's almost finished the twin turbo build he's doing on it

Are you on crack?

High 11's with 600 hp? What, did it weigh 6000 pounds.

Don't go spouting shit you are clueless about. Steve is not dumb enough to make that claim.

I seen the car run high 12's, and the 120mph pass woulda been on nitrous, and making about 450hp, but I suspect that was one of those days race City's clocks were fucked. On 440hp my car goes 11.2's at that ~122mph

:poosie:

Back to topic.

Toma
04-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Your GT looks super clean! Nice buy. The black interior are the best too (imo).

If you want more power, chat with Toma. I think he did the install and tune of an ebay twin turbo kit in a stock GT like yours. It made a shit load of power, for cheap.

Thanks Graham!

Yeah, it made great power for the boost and the cost (It was a $700 ebay kit), but my partner Steve at the time did the install, as delivered it fit like shit and needed a lot of modifications.

msommers
04-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Damn that thing is in good condition! Congrats on a new toy :D

Moe Man
04-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks, I WISH I was in the market for one last year when you were selling yours, that was a beautiful car. What did you have done besides the s/c drivetrain wise? Is there a build thread?

Now that you've had the SVT for a while, do you enjoy it as much/more then your old 5.0(SVT would be much more of a car I know but just curious on personal preference)?

not that much other mods just cuz I didnt wanna hurt it.

my Cobra is a totally different car. its more controled power, not as loud, twisty. I could swere the 5.0 was faster.....its not... by far. just feels faster because it twists and slides all over the place. SVT can barely break the tires loose at times. Mostly becuse of IRS and 295's.

thats why i love my 5.0, so much fun, everytime i stepped on it i would be scared because i didnt know what it was gonna do... dont know if thats a good thing or not :rofl:

brucebanner
04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Ekliptix: I was the interior that sold me on the car haha

Moe Man: I thought you would say something along those lines lol. Your svt looks awesome, they are definitely one of the best looking stangs ever, I think anyways.

What kind of power was your old 5.0 putting down?

Moe Man
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Ekliptix: I was the interior that sold me on the car haha

Moe Man: I thought you would say something along those lines lol. Your svt looks awesome, they are definitely one of the best looking stangs ever, I think anyways.

What kind of power was your old 5.0 putting down?

315 RWHP on a mustang dyno. toma can tell you what that is in "normal hp"

Graham_A_M
04-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Are you on crack?

High 11's with 600 hp? What, did it weigh 6000 pounds.

Don't go spouting shit you are clueless about. Steve is not dumb enough to make that claim.

I seen the car run high 12's, and the 120mph pass woulda been on nitrous, and making about 450hp, but I suspect that was one of those days race City's clocks were fucked. On 440hp my car goes 11.2's at that ~122mph

:poosie:

Back to topic.
Oh wow :nut:1st off, yes it was with nitrous
2nd, I saw the 11.9 pass with my own eyes, that same night he was doing 12.5's without much difficulty, and issues with it leaning out on the lower half of the rpm range, that in conjunction with shitty launches.
3rd, yes the 600 is while on the bottle. High 400's without.

Edit: and I forgot to mention, yes it is the stock bottom end and T5, holy Fuck you're ignorant. I find it cute you know more about his car then he does, or seemingly anybody else for that matter :rolleyes:

Jvivek
04-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks Graham!

Yeah, it made great power for the boost and the cost (It was a $700 ebay kit), but my partner Steve at the time did the install, as delivered it fit like shit and needed a lot of modifications.

Hey Toma,

It's Vivek, I don't know if you remember me from Incon mailing list. I have a 88 GT convertible with 74 thousand km on it with the twin turbo kit. I haven't driven in the last 7 years, only started it regularly, I started it the other day and took it for a short trip for oil change, speedo doesn't work anymore, I need to get this fixed. Do you know what could cause this, quite upsetting. I want to sell the car but want to make sure it is working perfectly before doing so.

Toma
04-18-2011, 12:18 AM

3rd, yes the 600 is while on the bottle. High 400's without.

Edit: and I forgot to mention, yes it is the stock bottom end and T5, holy Fuck you're ignorant. I find it cute you know more about his car then he does, or seemingly anybody else for that matter :rolleyes:

I'm ignorant? I don't need to know the car, I know MUSTANGS and the 5.0. And you said it made 600 NA (all engine). Which is utter stupidity. NA means NATURALLY ASPIRATED. NA (all engine) does not MEANS "nitrous injected". I'll re quote what YOU said on the bottom for you.

Now you retract and claim an 11.9 car makes 600 hp on nitrous, MORE utter stupidity.

Since I own a dyno, and have been building MUSTANGS since 1989, let me just ASSURE you, that to go mid 12's in a Mustang takes about 300 hp. To go high 11's, takes about 380.

I did actually have a 600 hp stock short block Mustang, (660 actually), but it ran 9.7's at 142+mph)

I don't hear Steve making these ignorant and idiotic claims, I hear you doing it. So don't drag him into it. He would not claim this kind of BULLSHIT.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Toma
04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Jvivek

Hey Toma,

It's Vivek, I don't know if you remember me from Incon mailing list. I have a 88 GT convertible with 74 thousand km on it with the twin turbo kit. I haven't driven in the last 7 years, only started it regularly, I started it the other day and took it for a short trip for oil change, speedo doesn't work anymore, I need to get this fixed. Do you know what could cause this, quite upsetting. I want to sell the car but want to make sure it is working perfectly before doing so.
Holy crap Vivek, it's been a while!!

Could be 2 things that normally go wrong.... the speedo gear inside the tranmission is broken (it just plastic), or you burnt through the speedo cable with those turbos/manifolds.

Either is easy to check. Follow the thiner grey cable that is bolted to the firewall on the drivers side with 2 small screws down and make sure it looks intact, then crawl under the car and undo the single bolt that holds it into the rear driver side of the tranny and pull it out, and see if there is still a gear at the end of the cable.

avow
04-19-2011, 12:10 AM
You guys should be careful about CAT Restorations. Here is a thread I found, there stuff sounds terrible. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=29666