PDA

View Full Version : Canadian CF18s aborted bombing run in Libya

Xtrema
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Collateral damages too great to civilian infrastructures. Way to go!

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110322/canadian-cf-18s-operation-odyssey-dawn-libya-110322/20110322/?hub=CalgaryHome

NuclearPizzaMan
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Collateral damage. More like bonus damage!

Kloubek
03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Somehow, this story reminded me of this. (Fast forward to 2:10)

OJPPQ4wJ2So

lilmira
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Somehow, this story reminded me of this. (Fast forward to 2:10)

OJPPQ4wJ2So

lol, first thing that came to my mind too.

Guillermo
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
they also called off bombings of khadaffi's compound in tripoli, too, because civilians were there looking at the damage.

i'm sure there are several other cases where bombings have been called off due to close proximity of civilians.

the coalition is being very prudent about this, and aren't the ruthless blood hungry killers that some people on this forum would have you to believe.

n1zm0
03-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
they also called off bombings of khadaffi's compound in tripoli, too, because civilians were there looking at the damage.

i'm sure there are several other cases where bombings have been called off due to close proximity of civilians.

the coalition is being very prudent about this, and aren't the ruthless blood hungry killers that some people on this forum would have you to believe.

good on the pilots, they are the last decision maker in the end after all the brass commands etc

but it's not too far off to think if this is true, would be one of the reasons why theres alot of civilians @ these targets areas, because think about it, you as a civilian - if you knew there were jets bombing the shit out of your country, would you be running to the JDAM impact crater or stand next to a SAM site just to hang around and look?, imo i would be as far away as fken possible from those targets:

has audio or you can read

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2011/s3170345.htm

Toma
03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
^^^

Actually, they had video of VOLUNTARY human shields, happy, singing, praying at the Gadaffi compound. Watch from about 0.55 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12814010

Reminded me of what the Serbs did during Nato's Kosovo campaign. They stood out there holding signs with bulls eyes painted on them.
http://www.art-for-a-change.com/blog/images/feb07/target3.jpg
Target? - From an exhibit of 1999 Serbia/Kosovo war photos taken by German photographers Anneliese Fikent and Andreas Neumann. Thousands of defiant Belgrade citizens wore the antiwar target symbol as they gathered on Serbia’s historic bridges spanning the Danube River - all in an effort to save the structures from NATO bombardment. Fifty-five bridges were destroyed by NATO missiles and bombs.

Tremendous support for Gadaffi despite the rhetoric.

The reports from Rebel held areas like you posted are loaded with unverifiable lies and propaganda.

LOLzilla
03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Toma
^^^

The reports from Rebel held areas like you posted are loaded with unverifiable lies and propaganda.

Can you confirm that media is now allowed into non-rebel held areas? Specifically, Al jazeera?

Toma
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla

Can you confirm that media is now allowed into non-rebel held areas? Specifically, Al jazeera?

Allan Little from my video above is in Tripoli. Many others are scattered, some in war torn areas, many with "handlers", but they are there.

No idea about Al Jazeera specifically, last I heard, one of their crews wandered off the beaten path and were captured, and being whiteys (A brit and a Norewigian), were harassed but currently being released.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Actually, they had video of VOLUNTARY human shields, happy, singing, praying at the Gadaffi compound. Watch from about 0.55 seconds.

Happy, singing and praying people voluntarily choose to drink the kool-aid too, so what's your point Toma? Just because someone does something voluntarily doesn't make them right or any less delusional/crazy/unbalanced.

Tremendous support for Gadaffi despite the rhetoric.

And, based on what irrefutable proof would you suggest that reports from Gadaffi and his supporters are NOT loaded with unverifiable lies and propaganda?

Toma
03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12814541

A bit biased ;) but cute.

Toma
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Happy, singing and praying people voluntarily choose to drink the kool-aid too, so what's your point Toma? Just because someone does something voluntarily doesn't make them right or any less delusional/crazy/unbalanced.

And, based on what irrefutable proof would you suggest that reports from Gadaffi and his supporters are NOT loaded with unverifiable lies and propaganda?

A)of course not.... its a matter of perspective. Mine is that Gadaffi enjoys a lot of support from his people, but there is a large faction that turned to guns to get rid of him, and now "we" are supporting them and being their air force.

So, instead of being "kidnapped and forced to be human shields" as one unreliable report suggests, this video clearly shows freedom of choice.

Whether they maybe crazy is not the point.

b) Videos like the one above. People have suggested that Gadaffi has no support, or that his supporters are afraid of him, and only support him out of fear etc.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM

A) I understand what you're saying, thanks.

B) Fear can still be a motivating factor, especially when propaganda is being meted out.

For example, If I am a dangerous and fear inspiring individual with authority in your life, I may scare the living shit out of you and you may not trust me in any way whatsoever. However, if I make you believe that the guy down the street is more dangerous than I and he intends to bring imminent harm to you, your family and your way of life, it won't be long before you support me in ridding "ourselves" of the threat and I have you eating out of my hand.

What did that movie say, "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."? Seems apt in such situations.

NuclearPizzaMan
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM

A)of course not.... its a matter of perspective. Mine is that Gadaffi enjoys a lot of support from his people, but there is a large faction that turned to guns to get rid of him, and now "we" are supporting them and being their air force.

So, instead of being "kidnapped and forced to be human shields" as one unreliable report suggests, this video clearly shows freedom of choice.

Whether they maybe crazy is not the point.

b) Videos like the one above. People have suggested that Gadaffi has no support, or that his supporters are afraid of him, and only support him out of fear etc.

Your ability to blind yourself to anything that contradicts your world view is impressive. Very Fox News like.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan

Your ability to blind yourself to anything that contradicts your world view is impressive. Very Fox News like.

He clearly explained what he meant and the reasoning is valid, that's the point of debate.

mucat
03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
You know what will happen to the pilots:
bwOOkb-FyU8

CUG
03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
You mean... we're not terrorists? Shit. Would anyone else be surprised if Ghaddafi told his military to do that? Purely speculation, but he's such a manipulative rat, that I wouldn't doubt it.

gstone
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like our Canadian lawyers are on top of this and providing the pilots with very good advice. Just like with Afghan bombing missions.

CMW403
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
Collateral damage. More like bonus damage!

Hahahahahahahahahaha