PDA

View Full Version : Raods are extremely slippery....

Kevin1205
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure it's just me or not....roads are extremely slippery this week....almost had an accident this morning.

Phenix
03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
ya the rain sure isn't helping things.

bbcustoms
03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Freezing rain at my house this morning. Roads were really slick :thumbsdow

schocker
03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
This is the calgary driver test week.
When there was snow, they were slippery, then there was the slush and that was also slippery, now there is ice and that is even more slippery. :rofl:
Stoney trail was slick though, rear end kept stepping out during my commute.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
No problems with my car. I had more traction issues walking out to my car.. And then from my car to the train station.

Mind you, I usually leave lots of room in the mornings anyways, regardless or weather.. Everyone is usually just a little sleepy.

J-hop
03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
+1 I haven't noticed any problems this week, but i've seen a lot of horrible drivers sliding everywhere so I guess it could be more slippery than usual.

Kloubek
03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
My Jeep was encased in ice this morning. Kinda neat, really.

No traction issues for me though. Though that is pretty much the norm with the 4X4...

rage2
03-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I had to drive into several intersections on red lights today to avoid getting rear ended by dumbasses that dunno how to drive in freezing rain conditions.

sputnik
03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Be careful on the raods.

n1zm0
03-24-2011, 10:03 AM
really icy in the SW, i couldn't believe how bad it was on the residential roads actually

saw 2 potential accidents this morning but the most significant was this lady in a pt cruiser in the left lane westbound sarcee just after the lights near the electrical enclosure after grey eagle, a cop van flips on its lights right behind her, what does the lady in front do? slams on her brakes in the middle of the road in the left lane, all cars start skidding, one guy jumped the curb to avoid accident, the cop was P.O'd! sirens on and flicking the horn on and off, we need some sort of common sense 5 year recurring drivers license test ffs, or just a recurring 5 year drivers test period, driving is a priviledge, you can't hack it or make proper basic judgemental decisions- take the gdamned bus ffs.

94boosted
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
really icy in the SW, i couldn't believe how bad it was on the residential roads actually

saw 2 potential accidents this morning but the most significant was this lady in a pt cruiser in the left lane westbound sarcee just after the lights near the electrical enclosure after grey eagle, a cop van flips on its lights right behind her, what does the lady in front do? slams on her brakes in the middle of the road in the left lane, all cars start skidding, one guy jumped the curb to avoid accident, the cop was P.O'd! sirens on and flicking the horn on and off, we need some sort of common sense 5 year recurring drivers license test ffs, or just a recurring 5 year drivers test period, driving is a priviledge, you can't hack it or make proper basic judgemental decisions- take the gdamned bus ffs.

:werd:

Recurring every 5 years until your 70 and then recurring every year thereafter. And Mandatory Vehicle Inspections too for christ sakes how many times do you see a shit box on the road that your scared to be sharing roads with. Like this could be a big cash cow for the province and it's something I would gladly pay for, First inspection after 3 years for new cars, then every 2 years after till the car is 11 years old and then every year after that. They could check the basics (steering & braking components, tires...) if anything needed replacement the car is not allowed back on the road until the item is fixed. Many European countries do this why arent we. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

max_boost
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Didn't notice a thing. :dunno:

JZS_147
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
yep i went full sideways on the douglasdale to deerfoot north overpass doing 50k on light throttle, super slick this morning

cloud7
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I didn't think it was that bad this morning... Monday night driving back on Highway 1 was bad though... ABS kicked in instantly whenever you're on the brakes while driving 70 km/h on the TCH.

energie88
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Same situation here, although I never lost traction to the point of going sideways! Turning left @ almost any intersection was rolling the dice for sure... especially on yield on solid greens. I found that some of the roads were deceptively dry and then a huge patch of ice. As for anyone at the U of C, that up/down walking ramp near Murray Fraser Hall is like a death trap lmao. I had to literally shuffle up it and I avoided walking down it; it was pure ice.

M.alex
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Recurring every 5 years until your 70 and then recurring every year thereafter. And Mandatory Vehicle Inspections too for christ sakes how many times do you see a shit box on the road that your scared to be sharing roads with. Like this could be a big cash cow for the province and it's something I would gladly pay for, First inspection after 3 years for new cars, then every 2 years after till the car is 11 years old and then every year after that. They could check the basics (steering & braking components, tires...) if anything needed replacement the car is not allowed back on the road until the item is fixed. Many European countries do this why arent we. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

That's the most retarded thing I've ever read.

Most people would fail a written/phsyical driving test, not necessarily because they're a bad driver, but because it's easy enough to fail on stupid shit (oh, you don't know the exact metres to keep back from an ambulance...fail; you didn't keep your hands in the proper position on the wheel ... fail)

Most cars would fail an inspection - windshield has a crack in it, fail. (where do you draw the line on 'basics')

fees would go up

Instead of standing in line at the DMV for 3-4minutes then being serviced, it'd be like the US - pack your meals for the day because you'll be there a few hours.

f-a-i-l idea

Tik-Tok
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
^^ Umm... that's why you would study? Heaven forbid you actually have to memorize the rules of the road, and keep memorizing every 5 years so it will actually stick with you.

But yes, I agree with you on the Registries... they would have to have 10x the testers.

rpalm35
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by energie88
Same situation here, although I never lost traction to the point of going sideways! Turning left @ almost any intersection was rolling the dice for sure... especially on yield on solid greens. I found that some of the roads were deceptively dry and then a huge patch of ice. As for anyone at the U of C, that up/down walking ramp near Murray Fraser Hall is like a death trap lmao. I had to literally shuffle up it and I avoided walking down it; it was pure ice.

Ugh, everywhere at the university is horribly slick. Walking to mac hall the ground was just frozen solid. Buddy and his gf took a spill just walking along aha.

Definitely a tough week for driving. Will it ever end! :drama:

Xtrema
03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I had to drive into several intersections on red lights today to avoid getting rear ended by dumbasses that dunno how to drive in freezing rain conditions.

M.alex
03-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
^^ Umm... that's why you would study? Heaven forbid you actually have to memorize the rules of the road, and keep memorizing every 5 years so it will actually stick with you.

That's a waste of my time.

And bad drivers can memorize rules just as good as good drivers, so that really doesn't do anything. Whoppity do you know what the handbook says to do when there's an ambulance behind you - it's another thing to judge the best course of action when you're actually in that situation, with his siren blaring at you and you're surrounded by traffic.

simonseys
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
I didn't really notice anything.. I was more nervous about the cars around me, some cars were excessively speeding given the road conditions, and some were going waay too slow :dunno:

SlickA70
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by simonseys
I didn't really notice anything.. I was more nervous about the cars around me

Sure it was you driving?

Or your GF? :devil:

simonseys
03-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Yaa after her backing into my old car twice? hell noo

94boosted
03-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

That's the most retarded thing I've ever read.

Most people would fail a written/phsyical driving test, not necessarily because they're a bad driver, but because it's easy enough to fail on stupid shit (oh, you don't know the exact metres to keep back from an ambulance...fail; you didn't keep your hands in the proper position on the wheel ... fail)

Most cars would fail an inspection - windshield has a crack in it, fail. (where do you draw the line on 'basics')

fees would go up

Instead of standing in line at the DMV for 3-4minutes then being serviced, it'd be like the US - pack your meals for the day because you'll be there a few hours.

f-a-i-l idea

There are so many people on the roads today that would fail even the basics such as properly merging, signalling to turn, properly changing lanes if they had to do their liscense test again. And if we could get even some of those people off the roads or force them to learn to drive properly things would be better.

As for the inspections I don't know about you but I don't like driving beside some of the dilapidated shit boxes you see on the roads today were the wheel may fall off over the next bump on the road. Many countries have a suscesfull mandatory inspection program in place. And why would you have to wait at the DMV for 4 hours? You show up with the peice of paper from the authorized inspection shop showing that your car has been properly inspected and you buy your registration for the year :dunno:

Besides it's not the crack in the windshielf that's the biggest problem it's people running around on worn down, under inflated tires or the people with so much play in their steering you have to make a full rotation of the wheel before the car starts to turn.

heavyD
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM

There are so many people on the roads today that would fail even the basics such as properly merging, signalling to turn, properly changing lanes if they had to do their liscense test again.

Is turn signalling even a criteria now in a drivers test? Nobody uses their turn signals anymore. I feel like a dying breed out there using my turn signals to alert other drivers that I plan on changing lanes (signalling only during a lane change doesn't count), signalling ahead that I plan on making a left or right turn.

Kennyredline
03-25-2011, 08:31 AM
It's waaaay too easy to get a drivers license in this province. I see FOB's driving around in their Toyota Corolla's, having no idea what they're doing behind the wheel; there must be some kind of back-door deals going on for these people to be driving, or they're just driving with no license at all. I heard a lot of people say yesterday that the roads were so bad you couldn't drive on them; so why do people drive on them? Part of making responsible choices behind the wheel is sometimes deciding not to get behind the wheel at all.

GQBalla
03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
it was slippery walkin to work past couple days.

ice and air force 1s don't mix

msommers
03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
How do some of you end up sideways?! That didn't even happen when we were out on polished ice at Ghost Lake unless we're haulin ass around a corner cone!

M.alex
03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

There are so many people on the roads today that would fail even the basics such as properly merging, signalling to turn, properly changing lanes if they had to do their liscense test again. And if we could get even some of those people off the roads or force them to learn to drive properly things would be better.

As for the inspections I don't know about you but I don't like driving beside some of the dilapidated shit boxes you see on the roads today were the wheel may fall off over the next bump on the road. Many countries have a suscesfull mandatory inspection program in place. And why would you have to wait at the DMV for 4 hours? You show up with the peice of paper from the authorized inspection shop showing that your car has been properly inspected and you buy your registration for the year :dunno:

Besides it's not the crack in the windshielf that's the biggest problem it's people running around on worn down, under inflated tires or the people with so much play in their steering you have to make a full rotation of the wheel before the car starts to turn.

Take signaling - most people know to signal. And on a road test they would because they know they're being watched. So what did you accomplish with the roadtest - nothing, but waste everybody's time and dmv resources

Maybe you need to stop driving in the NE or wherever you're driving? I honestly can't remember one single time where I've been afraid to be beside another car. Yes, there's some POSs out there, but i've never once felt a wheel was going to fly off one and strike me.

But you're missing the point with regard to inspections - ifyou have a crack or chip in your windshield it's illegal because it can effect your visibility. So guess what - inspection fail. Congratulations, living in we-like-to-dump-rocks-on-the-road-Alberta you'll need to replace your windshield every damn time you need the inspection done. oh, wait, would you like to now have selected enforcement of inspection laws (e.g., it's okay to have a chipped/cracked windshield, but not okay to have steering slop)

FraserB
03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
You can have the best maintained car on the road and still be a shitty driver. You need to shut down the driving "schools" that just hand licenses out for a few dollars under the table.

I don't see why I should be replacing a windshield every 12 months because a few chips appear or do a full suspension overhaul because a few bushings are 50% worn. This will just turn into a cash grab and the shops will be able to jack the rates up for every mandated service.

94boosted
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Take signaling - most people know to signal. And on a road test they would because they know they're being watched. So what did you accomplish with the roadtest - nothing, but waste everybody's time and dmv resources

Maybe you need to stop driving in the NE or wherever you're driving? I honestly can't remember one single time where I've been afraid to be beside another car. Yes, there's some POSs out there, but i've never once felt a wheel was going to fly off one and strike me.

But you're missing the point with regard to inspections - ifyou have a crack or chip in your windshield it's illegal because it can effect your visibility. So guess what - inspection fail. Congratulations, living in we-like-to-dump-rocks-on-the-road-Alberta you'll need to replace your windshield every damn time you need the inspection done. oh, wait, would you like to now have selected enforcement of inspection laws (e.g., it's okay to have a chipped/cracked windshield, but not okay to have steering slop)

Signaling was just one example, one could go on for quite some time about some of the poor habits that should be tested rigorously for instance; safe following distance for the given conditions, yielding, merging, passing, what a left lane is for, shoulder checking, how to properly turn left...... and while I agree that these are things a lot of people do for their test and then forget how to do right after I think that if testing was far more stringent and frequent it would help.

Personally I'm driving in the SE and the majority of drivers who got their license from a cereal box I see on deerfoot and glenmore.

You have a point on the windshield, that could perhaps be more lenient only requiring you to replace the windshield if the crack is in the line of sight of the driver but that's another story. As for suspension, steering, brakes and tires there should be zero tolerance. And like I said before there are many countries that do this, take for instance pretty much every country in the European Union and coupled with more stringent drivers license testing and voila.

Anyways this is getting off on a tangent, it's plain to see that you don't agree and that's fine it's just something I would personally like to see happen one day.

J-hop
03-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I agree with the inspection idea. If you are worried about your car not passing inspection it probably shouldn't be on the road anyways (unless it is something like a cracked windshield). I hate how effing stupid so many people are, on every car site you see kids posting looking for a mechanic to pass their car because they just failed a shops safety inspection, sometimes common sense evades people. I recently had a relative up from Oregon and she couldn't believe the POSs that are allowed on calgary streets.

I guess the only good thing about about not having inspections is you can determine who doesn't put any money into their cars and subsequently who is less likely to put money into decent winter tires, so you know who you should avoid.

Couldn't believe last night, driving home around 12:00, the roads were fine, in fact they were probably better than they have been all winter and people were sliding everywhere from the freezing mist or something. I find it hilarious that as soon as people can see the pavement they think its ok to start ripping down roads when in fact the roads are still covered in a layer of ice.

M.alex
03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
I agree with the inspection idea. If you are worried about your car not passing inspection it probably shouldn't be on the road anyways (unless it is something like a cracked windshield)..

Hellllo. A chipped and cracked windshield is enough to get a cop to tow your vehicle if he's pissed enough with you.

It would certainly be enough to fail a safety inspection - if inspection are mandatory, do you think a shop is going to risk their business/inspection license/etc... just because a few chips in your windshield isn't as serious as a bald tires? Nope - enjoy replacing it at every inspection period.

J-hop
03-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Hellllo. A chipped and cracked windshield is enough to get a cop to tow your vehicle if he's pissed enough with you.

It would certainly be enough to fail a safety inspection - if inspection are mandatory, do you think a shop is going to risk their business/inspection license/etc... just because a few chips in your windshield isn't as serious as a bald tires? Nope - enjoy replacing it at every inspection period.

not what I meant dude (hence the sentence you highlighted where I specifically said "unless it is something like a cracked windshield", Helllo!!), I agree you shouldn't be failed for a cracked windshield as unless the crack goes through your line of sight it isn't a safety concern.

What I meant was if your car can't pass the majority of a safety inspection (with the exception of something like a mildly cracked windshield as I will again clarify as my original post was apparently not clear enough). Then your car shouldn't be on the road anyways. Safeties are EXTREMELY easy to pass, and generally any car in good working order can pass with flying colors.

edit: and even if they were to fail you on a windshield every couple years that is a mere 200-400$ out of your pocket right? Also I've driven with the same winshield for 3 years straight and never had it crack (but I do get EVERY chip filled) and on my previous car it was 5 years of driving without cracking the windshield (again, got every chip filled before they could crack) so even if they did do these inspections it shouldn't effect you that bad unless you are unlucky or to lazy to get chips filled before they can crack

theken
03-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I have never once changed a windshield on any vehicle I have owned.