PDA

View Full Version : Saddledome Heroin Beer Myth Debunked

kenny
03-24-2011, 04:35 PM
It’s a bit like catching a sasquatch, only to find a zipper running up its furry back.

The disappointment is of a depth reserved for the day Elvis is finally proven dead, or when scientists announce the Shroud of Turin is a dirty bath towel, dating back to 1820.

Brace yourselves, lovers of legend, lore and barley-malted liquor. We have bad news.

The Saddledome’s mythical lager, feared for its ability to inebriate and spoken about in hushed tones as “Heroin Beer”, appears to be nothing more than ordinary draft.

Splutter as you will, and deny as you might, but the Sun decided to cut to the core of one of Calgary’s most enduring legends, and actually have Heroin Beer tested.

After nearly 28 years of rumour about the strength of beer at the Dome, we sought the truth.

It meant smuggling the suds out of the arena, avoiding the watchful eye of security, and then taking the sealed container to a local laboratory for analysis.

Specifically, we asked Exova laboratory in Calgary to determine the alcohol content of the Heroin Beer, to prove or quash the decades-old rumour that the lager is somehow more powerful than ordinary beer.

The results came back a week later, and the answer is very ordinary: 4.9% alcohol.

In other words, almost exactly where it should be, given the Saddledome’s long standing claim that the beer is plain Molson-supplied beer, with an alcohol content of 5%, give-or-take a small margin of error.

“Of course — I’m not surprised at all,” said Mark Vaillant, vice-president of Food & Beverage for the Calgary Flames, which operates the NHL arena.

“Heroin Beer is one of those myths people like to perpetuate.

“Say something enough, and you’ll start to believe it.”

And believe it the fans do. From hockey forums like Calgarypuck.com to word-of-mouth anecdotes among Saddledome regulars, the beer is both revered and respected.

“I’m your average guy in his 30s, and I can drink three or four pints watching the hockey game in a pub, and not feel drunk,” said James Callsen.

“But I drink three or four Heroin Beer over the course of a game at the Saddledome, and I am annihilated — it feels like the equivalent to six or seven regular beers.”

Callsen works at X92.9, a Calgary radio station that has done much to spread the fame of the fabled elixir.

Darren Ollinger, a season ticket holder and another of the station’s voices, once went so far as to do a live report on Heroin Beer from the Saddledome, with one on-air phone call for each beer consumed.

He ended up an incoherent, slobbering mess.

“I’ve done so much Heroin Beer that I try to stay away from it now — it doesn’t make sense that three beers out of can will make you feel good, but drink three heroin beers and you’re seeing things,” said Ollinger.

“It’s a dirty drunk, if that makes sense — you end up pie-eyed wasted, and I’m pretty good at drinking.”

With seasoned beer aficionados in such awe, the truth about the beer’s alcohol content is bound to be controversial: Conspiracy theories and legends rarely die by one lab test alone.

Indeed, if high alcohol content was the most popular theory, it wasn’t the only one — everything from intoxicating gas to dirty beer lines has been cited as a possible source of the brutal buzz.

But the Saddledome denies all. Beverage boss Vaillant says he’s heard all the theories and rumours about the beer, and there’s nothing to it.

“We use standard beer gas, which is the same no matter where you go, and the people saying it’s dirty lines are not right either — they’re cleaned on a regular basis,” said Vaillant.

“There are approved methods of how the beer is pushed through the lines, and we stick to that.”

Calgary Flames officials, though, refused to let the Sun inside to have a look at the system, which apparently involves pumping draft up from a bus-sized beer cooler somewhere in the basement.

If they hoped to kill the Heroin Beer rumour, refusing to show the evidence will likely do the opposite for those clinging to a conspiracy of keg-sized proportions.

Still, Flames boss Ken King was at least willing to give his take on the legend — in the past, team officials have declined to discuss what they downplay as a silly rumour.

“From a formal perspective, I can say there is no difference between that beer and any other,” said King.

King suspects the long climb to the nosebleed section, where a rowdier breed of fan is often found, started the whole Heroin Beer legend.

“We believe the phenomenon is exclusive to the third level,” said King, tongue firmly in cheek.

“People come here — and it’s possible they’ve already had a beer or two before they arrive — then they run up the stairs, and are all dizzy and out of breath, and they quickly buy one of our beers and drink it.

“Then they can’t figure out why the Saddeldome beer seems so strong.”

King is kidding, but the Flames’president may not be far off from the truth.

Roger Mittag is Canada’s leading beer expert, lecturing on the subject as a professor at Humber College’s School of Hospitality in Ontario.

Mittag is the kind of guy you’d want on the stand if a beer ever came up at a trial, and he’s quick to suggest Heroin Beer could be a mixture of excitement and missed meals.

“You’re in an environment that encourages you to drink quickly — and if you drink on an empty stomach, you’re going to end up light headed pretty quickly,” said Mittag.

“If you don’t have food, there’s nothing to absorb the alcohol other than your bloodstream, and you’re going to get intoxicated faster.

“I think that’s a viable theory.”

With Saddledome games starting at 7 p.m., it’s not uncommon to miss dinner in the rush to reach your seats, so empty stomach and excitement could be the answer.

But not so fast, says Mittag.

He’s heard the rumour about the Saddledome’s beer from as far away as Ontario, and he suspects there may be an extra ingredient causing the buzz.

It’s not alcohol — the Sun’s test proves that.

But Mittag says the wrong balance of gas in the service lines could make what alcohol there is much faster acting.

The clue is foamy beer — and the Saddledome’s suds do sport a distinctive froth.

“If it’s foamy, the beer is over-carbonated, and carbonation robs the body of oxygen,” said Mittag.

“Beer with higher levels of CO2 is going to get you drunk a lot faster.”

Could it be that the truth behind the Heroin Beer legend isn’t how drunk you get, but how quickly you get drunk?

One thing’s for sure — there are plenty of Flames fans willing to test the theory.

[email protected]

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/michael_platt/2011/03/24/17733981.html

JimmyJones
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm sure no one really thought that heroin was an active ingredient in the beer, its just a fun name.

roopi
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I've never noticed any difference between the beer in different stadiums. It definitely does get you drunk quick but it's pretty consistent between Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

vengie
03-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Isn't the "Heroin" aspect of the beer due to the high nitrogen content in the beer to bring the beer from the keg rooms in the basement to the taps?

That was my understanding anyhow...

BenC
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
saddledome beer makes me retarrrrded.
so good lol

adam c
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Isn't the "Heroin" aspect of the beer due to the high nitrogen content in the beer to bring the beer from the keg rooms in the basement to the taps?

That was my understanding anyhow...

it's the extra CO2 in the line

HuMz
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by roopi
I've never noticed any difference between the beer in different stadiums. It definitely does get you drunk quick but it's pretty consistent between Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Yeah the sun makes it out to be saddledome specific but its seems like everyone already knows its pretty much draft beer in all stadium.

Same with the alcohol content.....I've never heard anyone argue there's more booze in it, just that there's imbalance in the oxygen level or something with the lines.

And given the last interview from the article is the only part that relates to what people are thinking. Id say they did nothing to debunk the myth.

Hakkola
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Id say they did nothing to debunk the myth.

:werd: Just an alarmist headline from Kenny, title is not accurate and it should be changed. :poosie:

JfuckinC
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
yah this is some bullshit. me and one of my best buds are heavy drinkers and this shit kills us haha... i can drink 16 regular beer and be cool. but 9 dome foams and im fucked up.

msommers
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
I had always heard it was the nitrogen in the lines that get you so f'ed up.

narou
03-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah, something is up with Saddledome beer because that shit gets me fucked up. I have also heard it has something to do with the nitrogen from bumping beer up from the bottom of the done or something like that. Lol please excuse my lack of coherent sentences.

rizfarmer
03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
too long of an article to read the whole thing but there's no way in fuck dome draft is regular beer. Drinking a 12 pack would get me very drunk, 6 or 7 dome draft and im a retard.

Supa Dexta
03-25-2011, 10:46 PM
I worked on their beer system years ago. Its no different then anywhere else. Cleaned less often at that time, not sure about nowadays.

Swank
03-28-2011, 01:10 AM
It makes me cross-eyed and brain damaged in just a few pints too. Maybe a tactic to minimize the lines at the cans; drink less, piss less, still smashed.

[Yu]
03-28-2011, 01:28 AM
I propose you fine gentleman of Beyond endure on a task to test your theory.

You guys say that a 12 pack compared to 7-9 dome beers has a great difference, perhaps it is the time span you drink these?

Next time you frontiers of science go to the Saddledome, time when you start to finish and how many beers you have. Then do the same time with a 12 pack at home.

I am interested to see the results!

Cos
03-28-2011, 07:44 AM
I get crazy headaches from it.... Debunk that sun!

R-Audi
03-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Has anyone noticed that its any better or worse with the new cups? The old hazy ones used to foam like crazy, while the new totally clear smooth cups barely foam at all... Maybe they have changed the C02 as well?

Mibz
03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Looks like it's time for more Science By Breathalyzer.

It's a shame we've only got a few more games left to test :P

stealth141
03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I've noticed that you get drunk quicker, drank 4 of them in half hour there and was kinda drunk.

civic_stylez
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
that stuff gets me clowned... 6 of them at the bruins game and i thought i was at a metallica concert by the second period.:facepalm:

Always good times.

nich148_9
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi, I'm Michael Platt.

I don't know how to use paragraphs.

High school English was a challenge for me.

Sentences and paragraphs are nearly the same thing, right?

The Sun editors also aren't sure when reporters should begin a new line, so they let this writing style pass.

Isn't this crazy?

Someone should hire a real copy editor.

D'z Nutz
03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi, I'm Michael Platt.

High school English was a challenge for me but I was still qualified to work for the Calgary Sun.

Fixed.

Even before I got to the fifth sentence/paragraph, I was thinking to myself, Jesus who wrote this? Someone from the Calgary Sun? :banghead:

s_havinga
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
355mL Beer= 12oz
Pint of Heroin Beer= 20oz (or 19 can't remember it says it on the bottom of the cup)

therefore 12 pack of beer = 144oz

144oz = 7.2 heroin beers

Seems like simple math to me?

stealth141
03-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga
355mL Beer= 12oz
Pint of Heroin Beer= 20oz (or 19 can't remember it says it on the bottom of the cup)

therefore 12 pack of beer = 144oz

144oz = 7.2 heroin beers

Seems like simple math to me? It's starting to make sense now how I drank 4 in half hour and got drunk lol

Kavy
03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by stealth141
It's starting to make sense now how I drank 4 in half hour and got drunk lol

Your back already? Damn open registrations.

To the topic at hand.

I will always believe the additional CO2 does damage as I can easily handle a 12 pack and 5-6 Saddledome beers hit wayyyy harder. Thats how I justify the crazy markup.

BroSakic
04-04-2011, 05:08 AM
It is a will always be Heroin beer, God damn science ruins everything

KandabashiDevil
04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
OP's title is false .... It is contradicted by the conclusion of the article.

The article clearly states that excess carbonation could induce the effects of alcohol more quickly. The beer is always foamy, which me & my friends always understood as proof that the lines were very rarely cleaned. That statement supports the popular belief that Saddledome beer is more powerful.

It is not a "myth", and the OP's reference to the Calgary Sun is irrelevant.

Heroin Beer lives on :)

kenny
04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
They mention in the article that the lines are cleaned regularly, so that argument is out the window. The only left is that the beer is over-carbonated. Now, ask yourself why would someone that makes money selling more beer want to over-carbonate the beer so people get wasted faster and end up buying less?

:rofl:

I think we need to do an official experiment measuring the effects of heroin beer vs regular canned beer at the games.

Mibz
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I vow to do my part... FOR SCIENCE!