PDA

View Full Version : Why can't calgary get roadwork done like this?

D911
03-24-2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369307/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Road-repaired-SIX-days-destroyed.html

pf0sh0
03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
damn!

derpderp
03-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure due to the nature of recent events the Japanese public are eager to fix things and get things going again. A tragedy can be a strong motivator for the public.

theken
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Probably because they have like 4 million people that use that road daily.

Modelexis
03-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Once a week or so I drive down McKnight between Barlow and 12th St NE, and holy christ.

What a friggen hell hole.
The road is completely fucked, it's like a motocross track in the whoops section.

Driving down that road just thinking to myself, what in the blueberry fuck does it take to maintain a major roadway?
:nut:

lellowrx7
:drool:
thats insane!!
calgary get on that shit
deerfoot was just redone and is already bumpy as shit

BlackArcher101
Remember the washout on Hwy 1 last year east of Medicine Hat? Ya, it was a deeper fix and they had it open in less time after the water left.

Highways are easy to fix. When you're in the city and you need to keep lanes open while fixing? Well, that's a different story.

They had the privilege of having the road completely blocked off while fixing this I bet.

ZEDGE
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
The roads are worse than normal right now due to the long cold winter. Its like Edmonton roads which are just as awful every year.

teknical
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
24th St is in some desperate need of repairs. Same goes for those potholes on Elbow Drive heading North just past Heritage :banghead:

Xtrema
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
a) union

b) not Asian

Class dismissed.

CHICHARITZHI
03-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Calgary can do a job in 3 days but then they prefer to work longer.

01RedDX
03-25-2011, 09:11 PM

ZenOps
03-25-2011, 09:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_public_debt

If you are willing to pay 225% debt, then anything is possible. The US went well over 100% to fund the Apollo program, which the US is still paying for.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

http://i.imgur.com/2PJxZ.jpg

Horrible grammar, but what he's saying is the workers don't want to "work themselves out of a job".

They can do a job in 1 day, and then have 2 days with no pay before the next job. Or stretch out the 1 day job to 3, and get paid accordingly.

It's not what actually happens, but that's what he's trying to get across.

chkolny541
03-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Remember the washout on Hwy 1 last year east of Medicine Hat? Ya, it was a deeper fix and they had it open in less time after the water left.

Highways are easy to fix. When you're in the city and you need to keep lanes open while fixing? Well, that's a different story.

They had the privilege of having the road completely blocked off while fixing this I bet.

but even if calgary had the luxury of blocking off roads completely for contruction, do you HONESTLY think they would be able to complete a job like that in even less then 3 or 4 weeks, you'd be deamin!

codetrap
03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I think it might have something to do with the 42% corporate tax rate in Japan.

Not sure what the personal tax rate is, or the general cost of living.

alloroc
03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Once a week or so I drive down McKnight between Barlow and 12th St NE, and holy christ.

The road is completely fucked, it's like a motocross track in the whoops section.

Driving down that road just thinking to myself, what in the blueberry fuck does it take to maintain a major roadway?

Spend a few days in Edmonton and you'll be glad to be back.

Tram Common
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
I heard those images were bullshit... especially seeing as they appeared on Facebook before any news site.

... I really wonder if anyone checked before simply assuming... probably not, especially seeing as there are no quotes or interviews from anyone at all related.

JustinMCS
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common
I heard those images were bullshit... especially seeing as they appeared on Facebook before any news site.

... I really wonder if anyone checked before simply assuming... probably not, especially seeing as there are no quotes or interviews from anyone at all related.

In the first image, bottom right, there is a curb and grass/weeds growing. In the image where they repaired the road, the curb is gone and all the grass and what not has been removed. Looks like the right progression and seems legitimate.

blueToy
03-28-2011, 01:19 AM
As a road builder , I find it very hard to believe this story . Even throwing a large workforce at this area of damage , you'd still have to rip everything out to a stable foundation , then rebuild it one layer at a time . This would have to be done in lifts , all getting moisture and proper packing . Then , laying out the proper material for a road base , then paving . And thats assuming there aren't any utilities such as electrical or water or sewer/sanitary pipes etc ( I'm sure there would be ) . Then , replace or repair the landscaping and such .... no way it could be done in six days .

For the believers , show me the proof . Show me the workers , the machines etc . If they documented the before and after , there must be photos of the work being done . No photos makes me a non believer , and Im willing to bet there are no photos .

The real million dollar question is why would someone put out a story like this ?

Modelexis
03-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by blueToy
As a road builder , I find it very hard to believe this story . Even throwing a large workforce at this area of damage , you'd still have to rip everything out to a stable foundation , then rebuild it one layer at a time . This would have to be done in lifts , all getting moisture and proper packing . Then , laying out the proper material for a road base , then paving . And thats assuming there aren't any utilities such as electrical or water or sewer/sanitary pipes etc ( I'm sure there would be ) . Then , replace or repair the landscaping and such .... no way it could be done in six days .

For the believers , show me the proof . Show me the workers , the machines etc . If they documented the before and after , there must be photos of the work being done . No photos makes me a non believer , and Im willing to bet there are no photos .

The real million dollar question is why would someone put out a story like this ?

Did you see the hotel in china that took 6 days to build?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E76uJi744Do

nuff said.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that even if this particular story is false, it is for sure possible to do in 6 days. Not every society has the same work ethic, not everyone in the world needs 6 coffee breaks a day. :D

blueToy
03-28-2011, 02:18 AM

nuff said.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that even if this particular story is false, it is for sure possible to do in 6 days. Not every society has the same work ethic, not everyone in the world needs 6 coffee breaks a day. :D

Wow , nice building . What does it have to do with road building ? How long did it take to plan that stunt ? Were you part of it ? Were you there or involved with it ?

You build roads or move dirt ? Do you know what's involved with a project like this ? You don't need to answer cause I'm sure you don't . I do . Show me the photos of them ripping this road up and rebuilding it in six day . BET you can't .

As for work ethic ?? What makes you a expert on construction work ethics ? Got a sand pile in the back ?

Again , as for this story , I call

:bullshit:

Tram Common
03-28-2011, 02:22 AM

nuff said.

That story is a load of shit. For one, it doesn't include the time it took to build the foundation.

Simple, to get views, people lie on the Internet about the most outlandish things to get traffic... it's pathetic.

Like David Thorne's "Kate's Party" thing, everyone thought the Kate girl was someone real, hence why it was funny, but then it just turned out to be Thorne himself playing the girl... fucking facepalm worthy.

cancer man
03-28-2011, 02:33 AM
6 days in Biblical Time and on the 7th they rested.

Modelexis
03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
haha, I'm just bustin' your balls blueToy, don't take the internet so seriously. :D

Anomaly
03-28-2011, 09:00 AM

One of our offices is down that way, and every time I drive down that road I get so angry :banghead:

e31
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Like many others I thought our Calgary potholes were bad, but I had the misfortune of being in Edmonton over the weekend.

Guys, we really have nothing on those bastards up north. Their ring road has dips across the entire road about every 100 meters, its like riding a boat. Not to mention giant expansion joint gaps before and after every bridge that can't wait to fuck up your suspension. They have potholes there that consume a full lane width.

Calgary roads could use a little refurbishing, but Edmonton should just re-pave the city from scratch.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
As a road builder , I find it very hard to believe this story . Even throwing a large workforce at this area of damage , you'd still have to rip everything out to a stable foundation , then rebuild it one layer at a time . ...

It's possible they just threw it together to get traffic flowing again. Might be a giant patch job that they don't expect to last for long, and will redo it when the country gets back to a little normalcy.

Toma
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
In Calgary, on going construction and road work is NOT about maintenance, it's about JOB CREATION.

Modelexis
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Toma
In Calgary, on going construction and road work is NOT about maintenance, it's about JOB CREATION.

and the reason these companies are able to get away with this sort of quality of work is because the people paying for the work don't get a say in what company they would like to hire, nor can we fire the company for doing a poor job.

Toma
03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

and the reason these companies are able to get away with this sort of quality of work is because the people paying for the work don't get a say in what company they would like to hire, nor can we fire the company for doing a poor job.
Yeah, but what's the point building a good road....

Or building a light bulb that lasts forever?

Modelexis
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, but what's the point building a good road....

Or building a light bulb that lasts forever?

The new energy saver bulbs last 5000hrs which is 3-5 yrs depending on usage.

which is probably 5-10 times longer than the old style bulbs.

It's all about the consumer toma, things that last a long time cost more, and most consumers will take the cheap and short life item over the expensive long life item.

But when you have a state that pools in money and pays a high premium for road service yet doesn't care for the quality, you end up with the worst of both worlds, you have an expensive service, with no competition and a strong disincentive for a quality job.

When it comes to road work the free market typically chooses the smart method, which is a balance of value and quality, usually higher on the quality scale compared to some other services.
If you look at toll roads that are payed for by the free market you will see them use quality work of a much higher standard than public roads, this is a perfect example of what the free market chooses vs private pooled monopoly choice.

Now that we have these new bulbs with longer life we will see if there is a market for them, and if the market is strong we may see even longer life bulbs produced.

The reason bulbs aren't made to last forever is because people don't really care to spend a lot of money on a bulb.
There is various reasons for this:
-maybe it's a temp residence for 1-2 yrs and a 20yr bulb that costs 10x the price might be overkill
-they might not mind taking 15 seconds to screw in a new bulb and throw the old on away for 1$ once a year.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Lol, bulllllshit. Maybe in the labs, but I haven't met anyone who has a CFL bulb that lasts much longer than incandescent. Maybe if the light is left on for 5000 hrs, but the real world on/off cycle kills them just as quickly.

So you're comparison is actually quite accurate.

Expensive bulb and shitty longevity = more profit for company
Expensive road work and shitty longevity = more profit for company. :rofl:

Xtrema
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
CFL bulb don't last as long as advertised. I have only a few that lasted more than 2 years and they are usually in area that seldom used.

The original reddit post was a fake. But this story on dailymail is real. I wonder if construction company sped up due to the internet exposure of that section.

You can't really compare 6 days for a hotel vs a section of a road. A road take much less skill and safety checks to build and people spend much less time on it.

Our road is shit besides the union factor is that

a) labour laws and prohibitive overtimes charges

b) labour shortage

c) single source contracts.

Maxt
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't know about the road in the pic on the first page personally, but I have seen Japanese construction first hand. They tend to be very organized and they don't shut down at night. They replaced a water main on my inlaws street in about 3 days. The street was back to perfect pavement over the length of about 4 blocks. The road was kept open and there was no mess.
People in Japan are pretty easy going but if something gets f'd up they get very vocal to, they also have a lot of pride in doing things right and quickly

Toma
03-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Maybe.... they dim with time, and really maybe you get a year or two out of them at 10 times the cost....

I know what you are saying, but we still live in a money driven world, and there is no money in a road that last 30 years..... afomr a jobs creation standpoint.

Perhaps the difference in a 30 year road, and a 2 year road is materials only....

But what are all those poeple gonna do for work in the mean time?

Toma
03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol, bulllllshit. Maybe in the labs, but I haven't met anyone who has a CFL bulb that lasts much longer than incandescent. Maybe if the light is left on for 5000 hrs, but the real world on/off cycle kills them just as quickly.

So you're comparison is actually quite accurate.

Expensive bulb and shitty longevity = more profit for company
Expensive road work and shitty longevity = more profit for company. :rofl:

Damn it! I shoulda read a bit further.

Yeah, CFL's on the most part are not what they were supposed to be.