PDA

View Full Version : Selling used gold in the city

CMW403
03-24-2011, 08:47 PM
My grandmother has a lot of used gold jewelry she asked me to try and sell for her. I've heard the mail in places are quite a rip-off. Can anyone recommend me a local store where I can get the best possible value?

Jetta-2.0
03-24-2011, 10:17 PM
used gold? lol gold is gold depending on where it was made and how much other stuff has been added to them, i say take them in to a jewler place and get them checked out get some kinds proof that they are worth what they estimated them at and u can try the pawn shops or make on ad on kijiji

CMW403
03-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
used gold? lol gold is gold depending on where it was made and how much other stuff has been added to them, i say take them in to a jewler place and get them checked out get some kinds proof that they are worth what they estimated them at and u can try the pawn shops or make on ad on kijiji

I vote to ban the mentally challenged and close registration again.

Konj
03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

I vote to ban the mentally challenged and close registration again.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SJW
03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
They had a booth set up at southland mall in the middle for buying gold when i was there wednesday. Take it in, have them kick you in the nuts, then walk out with a small amount of money.

CMW403
03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SJW
They had a booth set up at southland mall in the middle for buying gold when i was there wednesday. Take it in, have them kick you in the nuts, then walk out with a small amount of money.

Yeah, well what else is she supposed to do with all this gold jewelry?

If anyone has any better suggestions please feel free.

Weapon_R
03-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I'll buy em.

Mar
03-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Might be easier to melt it down pure and sell the bar.

TomcoPDR
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SJW

They're there today too... Wonder if they've been robbed or if anyone's actually brough their gold in to 'em.

roopi
03-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Do I put it in the oven or on the stove?

swak
03-25-2011, 12:19 AM
My advice would be take advice from the mentally challanged.

Or tell your grandma to keep it? Does this have no sentimental value to her? Is the $20 worth of useless shit you'll buy with the money from the gold worth it?

derpderp
03-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Do I put it in the oven or on the stove?

On the stove, but first make sure to coat all the gold and pan with ammonium nitrate and put it on high.

DeeK
03-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by swak
My advice would be take advice from the mentally challanged.

Or tell your grandma to keep it? Does this have no sentimental value to her? Is the $20 worth of useless shit you'll buy with the money from the gold worth it?

you realize that gold is at an all time high. and right now its something crazy like $1400 an ounce... My guess is that if you had a couple pure gold necklaces, they would weigh probably an ounce.

$20? Think again.

6mtguy
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mar

+1. tell her to melt it down and make something she wants.

ianmcc
03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Melt it down? You guys are idiots! Think about it-let's say there is 10K, 14K, 18K and a few 22K. Mix then together and what do you really have? Something that no goldsmith can verify as to the purity.
All gold jewelry is stamped with the purity on it to identify it:
10K=10/24=41.67%
14K=14/24=58.33%
18K=18/24=75.00%
22K=22/24=91.66%
Each piece will need to be examined and a price will be based on grade and weight.

Oh BTW the melting point of 14K gold is 1550°F so try to get that temp in your oven!

CMW403
03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Melt it down? You guys are idiots! Think about it-let's say there is 10K, 14K, 18K and a few 22K. Mix then together and what do you really have? Something that no goldsmith can verify as to the purity.
All gold jewelry is stamped with the purity on it to identify it:
10K=10/24=41.67%
14K=14/24=58.33%
18K=18/24=75.00%
22K=22/24=91.66%
Each piece will need to be examined and a price will be based on grade and weight.

Oh BTW the melting point of 14K gold is 1550°F so try to get that temp in your oven!

Guys, I'm fully aware of the process. I have already weighed everything and calculated how much pure gold she really has.

I'm looking for suggestions on local gold buying businesses, somewhere one of you has used and at least have a positive comment about.

I mean I realize I'm not going to get close to full value anywhere, I'm pretty much just waiting for one of you to tell me where to go based on experience.

zipdoa
03-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Your best bet is probably eBay... or sell it to birdsey :rofl:

desi112
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
is it white people gold or brown people gold?

Tram Common
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Just take it into any custom jewellery shop and ask them if they'd be interested in purchasing it from you.

If they are they'll test to see what K you have and offer you a price.

Don't expect to get what it's actually worth though, whoever buys it will have to spend their own time working on it so it will have to be somewhat worthwhile for them.

ianmcc
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
It's funny how Beyond quickly morphs into a bunch of idiots making stupid suggestions on what to do rather than have any useful info (like actually answering the question you posed).
While I don't have a suggestion as to where to go to sell jewelry my post was aimed at the suggestions of melting it in the oven.
Or heating ammonium nitrate (a component of explosives!) on the stove. Real smart.

roopi
03-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

Guys, I'm fully aware of the process. I have already weighed everything and calculated how much pure gold she really has.

I'm looking for suggestions on local gold buying businesses, somewhere one of you has used and at least have a positive comment about.

I mean I realize I'm not going to get close to full value anywhere, I'm pretty much just waiting for one of you to tell me where to go based on experience.

There are 'Indian' jewelery stores in the NE that will usually buy this stuff of melt/remake it for you. They usually just take a percentage. As for the percentage I'm not sure what it is but I've been in there with people taking in gold. They weigh it melt it down and make something else and weigh it and give it back to you. They normally just keep a percentage of the gold when they melt it down.

Originally posted by ianmcc
It's funny how Beyond quickly morphs into a bunch of idiots making stupid suggestions on what to do rather than have any useful info (like actually answering the question you posed).
While I don't have a suggestion as to where to go to sell jewelry my post was aimed at the suggestions of melting it in the oven.
Or heating ammonium nitrate (a component of explosives!) on the stove. Real smart.

So you're saying I shouldn't melt this on the stove? I've already bought the Ammonium Nitrate. WTF should I with it now?

silviak91
03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Can you pm me pics i will buy some .

top_speed
03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Money Mart buys gold.

http://www.moneymart.ca/gold/index.html

ExtraSlow
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Well done, I just got my new sig!

roopi
03-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Well done, I just got my new sig!

:rofl:

It was sarcasm from the beginning. Mar stated it would be easier to melt the jewelery down and sell it. Not exactly easy without first finding a good place to do this which is essentially the OP was asking.

chkolny541
03-25-2011, 02:40 PM
im pretty sure your BBQ can get hotter then your household oven, try that first CMW403

bourge73
03-25-2011, 02:45 PM
<http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-jewellery-watches-Dont-Mail-Your-Gold-Local-Buyer-Pays-More-Up-to-90-of-Melt-V-W0QQAdIdZ240933471>

Found this on kijiji :dunno:

Smokem
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Try Albern Coin, I will be doing the very same thing in a few weeks, apparently they pay 80% spot on the karat melt value.

http://www.albern.com/

Smokem
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Update on my last post. First, you must know that gold buyers just give you a sketch feeling altogether, so expect this in your quest to convert that gold into cash. That being said...

Albern Coins (Center St. and 16th Ave) does take old gold jewellery at 80% of spot price converted to Canadian dollars. Not sure how often pricing is updated but as of today, they paid about C$1400/oz based on exchange. Note that purity also affects payout. ie. 10k is 10/24 x $1400 x weight x rate, etc.

I also contacted the guy from bourge73's post (kijiji), set up a meeting, and he "forgot" we had it when I showed up (he wasn't there). What a waste of time. He also said he would pay 75% so not sure where the 90% from his ad comes from.

Also emailed another person who does gold parties, she said she would give me 80% but then offered me as an example, $10.96/g of 10 karat, this was around last month. My math check showed it was really 60% of gold price.

Contacted another local coin shop and they pay based on some weird formula. 1% of spot is equal to 1g of 10k and anything else is a multiple, ie 14k = 1.4, 18k = 1.8. Wasn't comfortable with that either, so I didn't check it out.

Contacted another person on kijiji and she wouldn't give me what her payout is, told me to go to her shop, so didn't check it out.

Finally read/heard the stories of mailing gold to companies on the internet. DO NOT DO THIS.

So Albern Coins it was.

Depending on volume, if you have one or two big pieces they can do it on the spot, otherwise you'll have to leave it with them and they get back to you. Not sure of how comfortable you are with that though if you have several large expensive pieces. Note that if you appraise while you wait, they do not appraise in front of you (they have a security window and I think they do it off to the side). Not sure of their testing methods but I would assume acid test and/or machine test.

Last week, I had two larger pieces (bracelets) done on the spot then left them my small "scraps" (broken pieces, unwanted items, etc) and they got back to me today and I picked up cash. If you have scraps, it might be worth your while to check out, I got $245 for about 15g of scraps (checked out to be mostly 10k)... total win, the jewllery would otherwise be junk.

If you have an accurate digital kictchen scale it would be advisable to weigh the pieces to confirm, and then google up gold melt value to calculate what you'd get. Best educate yourself beforehand.

Take this info as it is... I landed my objective of selling my old gold. I am no way endorsing any of the businesses above, but at the end of the day, my research and inevitable sale to Albern left me with a feeling that I wasn't being completely fleeced.