PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans car-cam

Tik-Tok
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I made it just in case of an accident (I recently had one, and the offending party lied through their teeth about what happened).

I used the MLG-RD21 ($30), which comes with a suction cup for your windshield, and cig.lighter -> Mini-usb adapter for charging the lithium-ion battery. It's not that great of video, but works for my purposes. I didn't like how clumsy the suction cup looked, especially with the wire dangling down to the cig. lighter, so I installed the camera to the base of my rear view mirror (that way if the mirror moves, the camera doesn't), and hardwired it to the constant 12v power in the roof interior lighting.

It records 5 min. videos, then loops when the mem.card is full and records over the first vid. I don't like the angle of the lens, so I've also ordered a 160* wide-angle for $12 each (it'll have more of a human eye angle, and see more of the traffic beside me). It's also audio-detecting, so in my garage it's not recording, but as soon as it hears anything, it'll start.

So in total the cost was $45 with shipping. Here's some pics/vid. I'll post another one when I get the wide-angle installed.

Camera MLG-RD21 (AA batt. just for size comparison)
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/Camera2.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/Camera.jpg

In my Audi
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/AudiCameralookingout.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/AudiCameralookingin.jpg

In my Subie
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/SubieCameralookingout.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/SubieCameralookingin.jpg

And a ride in the Subie (Camera is mounted upsidedown, so it's more hidden. I have to rotate the vid 180*, hence the date at the top is upside down) I'm not sure what the deal is with the sound crackling like that, the other one in the Audi doesn't. Must be a defective mic.

80MIxJsVAzI

Nismorphed
03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Thats a really good idea, I was thinking of setting up the go pro for something like this. But this is a really good cheap idea.

revelations
03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Have been thinking of something like this as well.

What is the night time resolution like?

n1zm0
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM
where do you get them from? i'd like to get a few, are there Ir detecting ones (record upon motion) ?

also the car in the video sounds like a GTA 3 car lol

Tik-Tok
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by revelations

What is the night time resolution like?

This is the Audi at night.
GIxQ1_3mLSI

Originally posted by n1zm0
where do you get them from? i'd like to get a few, are there Ir detecting ones (record upon motion) ?

also the car in the video sounds like a GTA 3 car lol

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_141&item_id=035169

Didn't look for anything fancier. Just saw these while browsing that site. I had bought a couple of other ones from Mem.Ex. at Xmas for the same idea for $20, but those, as it turned out, didn't have loop recording, so kind of useless to me.

Lol at the car sound. What you don't like my "V8" Subaru? It's one of those "SoundRacer" cig.lighter plug-ins. Gotta keep that V8 sound going until the '72 Goats back on the road.

Jetta-2.0
03-28-2011, 02:41 AM
nice idea normaly i turn on my iphone lool

AndyL
03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-2-0-mega-pixels-dv-camera-usb-2-0-webcam-with-microphone-tf-card-slot-34157

:angel:

rp_guy
03-28-2011, 04:17 AM
i've been searching for a decent one for a long time, but haven't found anything that really suits what i want. the D011 camera off ebay is a cheap alternative (you can find them at meritline, dx as well).

the newest one that does 720p 30fps is the #11 camera off ebay, comes to about $40 shipped. it's in the shape of a keyfob which would look sort of strange mounted on the dash, but it offers the best video quality of all these cheap cams. however, it does not offer cycle recording (ie. delete oldest file when space is full).

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hd+720p+car+dvr&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Tik-Tok
03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-2-0-mega-pixels-dv-camera-usb-2-0-webcam-with-microphone-tf-card-slot-34157

:angel:

Pretty much the same kit I got, but that one doesn't have the cig.lighter DC converter, which costs $10 if you buy local.

Edit: That one also doesn't come with the suction cup and bendable arm, which I ended up not needing, but if someone else wants to use it, get the one from canadacomp. I found that multi-piece attachment assembly way too jigly to be used in the car with our roads.

I'm honestly surprised in this day and age, auto manufacturers aren't offering car cams as an option. Who wouldn't want the extra security of knowing there's video evidence of their complete car in case of an accident... (well, except for bad drivers I guess, lol)

AndyL
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I went a little different, Using a standard USB webcam, Curioustech Minicam to record; but yeah that means there's a laptop in the truck with me. But it's a bit more useful of a setup, as it can overlay GPS and OBD2 data.

Being able to drop to a 15fps record speed is even nicer, saves pretty much half on the disk space... And really a tenth of a second between frames doesn't miss much.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, this was just a "install it and forget it". Lots of cool ways to do it, I just wanted something cheap and fairly out of view.

I wish I could have made the Audi one a little more hidden, I don't like seeing it stick down like that, but couldn't think of an easy way to hide it better. From the outside, I bet if I pain those grey circles, no one would even look twice.

It's also convenient, because I can take them off in 2 seconds, and clip it to my waist belt. That way, in case of accident, I can have the entire conversation recorded too.

The dates keep reseting though, kind of annoying.

Cos
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Can you upgrade the memory so it is more than 5 minutes? In a major accident i doubt I will be running back to the camera to remember to turn it off.

Sorry if you already mentioned that.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Can you upgrade the memory so it is more than 5 minutes? In a major accident i doubt I will be running back to the camera to remember to turn it off.

Sorry if you already mentioned that.

Records as big as your mem.card is. What it does is create multiple 5 min. videos. I think my 4gb card holds around 2 hours worth, so 24 - 5 min. clips. Then when the card is full, it loops over the earliest clip.

Cos
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Ahhhh makes more sense. Thanks.

I thought you had to run to turn it off otherwise your 5 minutes would be gone. Great idea gonna pick one of these up now.

97luder
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
well done and so cheap !

flipstah
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I'd buy one because it's cool but no one wants to see my mundane routine of Deerfoot lol.

revelations
03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I'd buy one because it's cool but no one wants to see my mundane routine of Deerfoot lol.

You buy one of these things hoping you will never have to use it.

Mar
03-28-2011, 11:51 PM
That's cool, I put one in the same place in my car a few years ago. I wrote some custom software for it that would pull the NMEA data from the GPS receiver and overlay my speed onto the video with date/time. So if I got a speeding ticket I could go back and look at my exact speed at the time I got hit with radar. And then tell them if they need to recalibrate their machine or not. :)

Cos
08-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Sooo since I forgot all about this and now canada computers won't sell them online.... Any idea where to get one of these cameras now?

Also tik-tok... How did the fish eye turn out?

Tik-Tok
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Sooo since I forgot all about this and now canada computers won't sell them online.... Any idea where to get one of these cameras now?

Also tik-tok... How did the fish eye turn out?

The lens didn't fit, I can't find any that are the same size as the cheap little unit. Not a big deal though, it still works fine. I'll probably make a better one in the future, with a standard mini-cam, so the wide-angle lens will work.

Cos
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The lens didn't fit, I can't find any that are the same size as the cheap little unit. Not a big deal though, it still works fine. I'll probably make a better one in the future, with a standard mini-cam, so the wide-angle lens will work.

So what would you do different. I am planning to start to make a couple of these in the next few weeks.

I need a new project.

canadian.eh84
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
i just bought a kit from over seas
it has 4 cameras 1 front / 2 sides / 1 rear and mic inside
paid about $1200

thing is installation manual is not english lol

Crazyjoker77
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm also real interested in this but seems those camera's have been discontinued.

I have a gopro HD that I use but It doesn't really work well as a dash cam. I like the idea of it charging itself and self looping and being small in size and always working.

Whats else is available that's similar or who still has stock of that unit?

dingmah
08-16-2011, 07:30 PM
There's tons of cheap ~$50 dash cams that automatically turn on/off for sale on eBay.

Cos
08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by dingmah
There's tons of cheap ~$50 dash cams that automatically turn on/off for sale on eBay.

Yes but I have been having a hard time finding one that will loop record.

Crazyjoker77
08-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Yes but I have been having a hard time finding one that will loop record.

As well I would really like for it to come with the 12v charger so I can hardwire it like the OP.

I'm trually going for a set it and forget it type of deal.

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by canadian.eh84
i just bought a kit from over seas
it has 4 cameras 1 front / 2 sides / 1 rear and mic inside
paid about $1200

Not really in the "poor mans" category now, is that, :rofl:

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

As well I would really like for it to come with the 12v charger so I can hardwire it like the OP.

You can also pick up cheap chargers as well. A cig.Lighter -> USB one is only $10, then you just need the micro or mini usb cord.
Keep that in mind if you manage to find a cheap loop-recording camera, that doesn't have the charger with it.

Originally posted by Cos
So what would you do different. I am planning to start to make a couple of these in the next few weeks.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to do a better one now. As you said, it's difficult enough to find a cheap loop-recording camera, let alone one as small as my current set-up.

Little Dragon
08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
What do you guys think about the eBay dash cams from china?

Most have loop recording and an LCD screen to boot.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD-1080p-Car-Dashboard-Dash-Camera-Cam-Accident-DVR-/280710494402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ba638c2#ht_4016wt_905

Crazyjoker77
08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
What do you guys think about the eBay dash cams from china?

Most have loop recording and an LCD screen to boot.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD-1080p-Car-Dashboard-Dash-Camera-Cam-Accident-DVR-/280710494402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ba638c2#ht_4016wt_905

I seen these awhile ago but just passed them over as ebay junk but did some research on them and came across a few videos that were taking with the cam and they were decent quality. I was only able to find one bad review and it was some redneck old man expecting it to be blue ray quality 1080p.(get real its a 2.5mm lens ffs)

I just ordered one from a US seller. It was only 70$ shipped so I figured it is worth trying out for that price. It is coming usps first class air so should be here rather shortly and I will post up my initial impressions.

Disoblige
08-25-2011, 07:44 AM
^^ Looking forward to that. Thanks in advance! :)

puya.ro
09-02-2011, 06:40 PM
got me one of these but in recording mode it just records a fat 20~ min video then shuts off... am i missing something ?

shouldnt it record 5 min clips or something ???

tried it on 512MB and 4GB microSD cards

Crazyjoker77
11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Well Been quite awhile kinda forgot about this thread but thought i would throw a update up on the ebay cam I bought.

The unit was pretty much what I was expecting and comes close to their claims.

It does record in 1080 but there is not much difference between the 1080 and 720 (other than file size)

The night mode is useless (turns on a set of white led that just end up reflecting off the window and blinding you) but surprisingly still takes good videos at night even with the LEDs turned off. (works good as a flashlight though!)

The mount is very stable and have not had to reattach it at all (unlike my sat radio mount) the camera quick mounts to it for easy removal.

The little lcd screen is real nice for replaying stuff without a computer and for making sure its aimed correctly.

It comes on and off with the car if plugged into a switched cig lighter. Only ran it once off the battery and it lasted 2hrs before i noticed it wasn't plugged in. (the plug has a converter built into it so you cant cut it off and hardwire it)

It can be set to record 30s 2m 5m 20m videos and automatically deletes the oldest file once its full.

It comes with a usb to hook it up to a laptop (drivers wouldnt load on a mac or vista) and you can replay the videos but I find it easier to just remove the Micro SD card and put it in a reader than to bring in the whole camera.

Has a HDMI mini port to hook it directly up to a flat screen

The sound quality on it actually really impressed me. You can clearly hear the conversation in the cab with the windows down driving around town, and was quite surprised that you could make out when I was rolling down the windows can hear the deaf chirps for the crosswalks when sitting at a intersection. It does suffer from wind noise on the highway if you have your windows down.

My only real complain that i do have is the file size is massive. at 1080 with sound a 5min video comes out to 580mb.

I'll try and post up a couple videos.

The BMW Guy
11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Please post asap!
And what seller did you buy from?

Crazyjoker77
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Not the best video as its mostely highway driving with the window down so there is alot of wind noise.

At 1:50 you can watch the talon pulling a james bond style smoke screen when he downshifts...

Vid (http://youtu.be/Z50s-DIUw6w)

The BMW Guy
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
^ pretty good quality for night time.
Which seller did you get it from?

Want to make sure I get the correct model as a lot of them look a like but are different.

revelations
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Thats not bad at all.... any day time shots?