PDA

View Full Version : Fuel settings and sr tuning

megafandrew
03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I plan on doing a small turbo upgrade on my 180sx this year if it doesnt sell spring/early summer. Ive got most the parts already from before plans so this wont cost me a whole lot if I did install, and it might help it sell as well.

Anyways a few questions. Once I swap out the old injectors and toss in my 555cc injectors and my Nismo fuel pressure regulator do I need to manually adjust the fuel pressure? Or if Im running something like Apexi power fc can it be done threw that or am I confused?
And what are you sr20det guys in Calgary using for tuning, what can be tuned in Calgary?? Is there a shop that can tune power fc? I think I looked into Toma's shop for the tune. Any other tuning system I can use? Can I expevt somewhere close to 300whp out of this turbo and setup below?

Heres a quick list of what Ill have:

-S15 7 layer manifold gasket
-Greddy reclock suction kit
-z32 maf
-z32 fuel filter
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-Garrett GT2871R 0.64 AR
-FR oil drain return kit, and oil lines
-FMIC/ssqv recirculated
-arp head studs
-Apexi head gasket
-Tomei rocker arm stoppers
-Brian Crower Cams & Valve Springs & Retainers Kit Stage 2
-s14 oil strainer/pickup
-Innovate air/fuel controller/gauge
-cobalt boost gauge, manual boost controller will upgrade**
Apexi power fc or some other running system tuner

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
If you have a power FC you change the settings in it when you put in different injectors. I had my 1992 Nissan 180SX tuned by Toma on a power FC last fall, and I made 251.7WHP on a S14 turbo with a stock downpipe.

Cooked Rice
03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes you should make sure that your base fuel pressure is in check when installing a adjustable FPR. Make sure your cams are dialed in correctly and you should be golden. I would scratch the Z32 MAF and just get a standalone with a MAP sensor. Remember to throw in a fresh set of spark plugs and gap accordingly to new boost levels.

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 02:31 AM
ya haha twin cam I was just looking at your old for sale thread before posting this and thought man that guy made good power on a slighlty bigger turbo and with a stock downpipe none the less?? I have a full 3 inch system. Cooked are you saying I dont really need a z32 maf I can just adjust and use the stock maf? Ill probally go power fc, whats the d-jettro mean? No sensors included? What is the best/most complete power fc I can go with I would like something I can datalog with as well

Cooked Rice
03-29-2011, 04:43 AM
If you get D-Jetro, you don't need to use a MAF at all. Just connect the MAP sensor to a good manifold vacuum source.

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 05:43 AM
D-jetro is great if you can get it for under 1000$ for a new one, or like 500$ for a used one. If you cant find a djetro, or a super cheap l-jetro, then i would suggest another standalone, like a haltech e8, or a Vipec drop in ecu for s13. A bit more expensive, but better than overpaying for a powerFC. The PowerFC is great, but its not worth what some people are selling it for. The fact is, its old technology, and its slower than what a lot of the newer ecus have. Another option for you, if you want to stick with maf, is Nistune. Its a daughterboard for the stock ecu that you can tune on the fly, and it works quite well. In fact, toma runs Nistune on his 11 second s14 :devil:

The above setup will net you 300 hp, but maybe bump your base pressure up to 45 psi from the stock 39 before you tune. Those injectors should be able to take the rise in pressure. Toma can tune it no problem, we will have a dataloggit box at the shop.

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
D-jetro is great if you can get it for under 1000$ for a new one, or like 500$ for a used one. If you cant find a djetro, or a super cheap l-jetro, then i would suggest another standalone, like a haltech e8, or a Vipec drop in ecu for s13. A bit more expensive, but better than overpaying for a powerFC. The PowerFC is great, but its not worth what some people are selling it for. The fact is, its old technology, and its slower than what a lot of the newer ecus have. Another option for you, if you want to stick with maf, is Nistune. Its a daughterboard for the stock ecu that you can tune on the fly, and it works quite well. In fact, toma runs Nistune on his 11 second s14 :devil:

The above setup will net you 300 hp, but maybe bump your base pressure up to 45 psi from the stock 39 before you tune. Those injectors should be able to take the rise in pressure. Toma can tune it no problem, we will have a dataloggit box at the shop.

any idea where I might be able to find one for a good price used? I might need some help with the head work, or I might build the whole motor depending what happens with my job here. So Ill look into your shop for that sr20, you guys will do things like that as well correct>? I might even pull the motor out myself if I go that route. If I end up keeping the nissan I want to keep it soley for track use mostly, as I have a good daily driver already etc. I will start looking for used powerfc see what I can find for pricing on a d-jetro.

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Keep an eye on ebay, you can usually find them on there. If you find one without a map sensor, thats no big deal, you can pick up a gm 3 bar maf for about 50$, and a map harness for around 13$. Way cheaper than the overpriced apexi unit (180$ just for the map)

Yes we will be doing engine builds. I better not say too much more until we get our advertising set up on beyond tho haha. :nut:

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Keep an eye on ebay, you can usually find them on there. If you find one without a map sensor, thats no big deal, you can pick up a gm 3 bar maf for about 50$, and a map harness for around 13$. Way cheaper than the overpriced apexi unit (180$ just for the map)

Yes we will be doing engine builds. I better not say too much more until we get our advertising set up on beyond tho haha. :nut:

Haha ya keep it undercover until it gets closer I guess seems like it will be an awsome shop though and a much needed one for Alberta if you ask me:drool:

Anyways I found a good one on ebay, I think its $590, its the power fc and commander, and what sweetens that deal for me besides the price already is that it comes with the add on boost control kit (I want this feature might as well control everything from one unit) and pressure censor and harness extra. If I can scoop this up for 600 bucks its a deal that will be hard to top. Beats paying 1200 for a new one anyways. Hey and idea where I can find a rebuilt or good used turbo for my setup Im looking for a 2871 or similar, I want 300whp in the setup. I found on here its pretty slow right now for used turbos. Or should I just buy a new turbo to avoid any possible issues with used ones? Other then that Ive got everything else, except for my head stuff which is easy though. Are those Brian Crower cams any good?

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
What cams do you have? 264 degree? Also, yes, get brand new...and get a 2876....its worth the extra size (= the lag isnt bad at all IMO.

Cooked Rice
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I would go Tomei PONCAM. Brian Crower is hit and miss, they fudged the cam card specs on my KA cams and neglected to say anything on their site or put updated cards in the boxes. Centerlines were slightly off too, so they weren't a true "drop n play" cam, needed cam gears to get them to proper spec.

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 05:53 PM
What cams do you have? 264 degree? Also, yes, get brand new...and get a 2876....its worth the extra size (= the lag isnt bad at all IMO.

Just stock right now havent bought my cams yet. Cookedrice Ill look into the Tomei poncams Ive heard good things about those, and I like the quality of Tomei anyways! If I go to the 2876, should I go with the smaller a/r or go for that 86 turbine A/R would the lag really be that bad? I actually want to use the car at the drag track in Edmonton more so then drifting. I think actually I used to have the 2876 in my other 180sx a couple years back.

To fit a 2876 it would be same deal as the 2871 correct? Just need the clocking plates etc. Frsport has a good little kit for adapting the t28 turbos to a redtop sr so Ill probally just go with something like that.

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 06:01 PM
For the 2876 you Will need to notch your motor mount and make a
Custom hot pipe and an intake pipe. That's it. Usual braided lines etc...
I would get the smallest ar you can. I forget what mine is ;)

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 06:22 PM
For the 2876 you Will need to notch your motor mount and make a
Custom hot pipe and an intake pipe. That's it. Usual braided lines etc...
I would get the smallest ar you can. I forget what mine is ;)

doesn't sound too bad Ill have to look into it more here is what I found on fr anyways for those turbos.

http://www.frsport.com/Garrett-GT2876-Series_c_235.html

While were at it any idea what wold be the stock head gasket size Im looking for?? Would a 86x1.1 mm work? be close to stock?

http://www.frsport.com/Apexi-814-N102--86mm-x-1-1mm--Metal-Head-Gasket-SR20DET-S13-S14-S15_p_9425.html

Thats what I was looking at with arp headstuds of course once its all ready to be bolted back together

Toma
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Haltech E8 here on Beyond for sale. Slightly dated software, but it works!

Doesnt say for what year harness.... but....

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3655099#post3655099

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
1.1mm is stock head gasket thickness. It will do you fine. The arp headstuds are a nice touch. yes that is the turbo i was talking about. Also found here. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2876R_705330_1.htm

the 2871R is a great choice too, i just really like the kick of the 2876.

Toma
03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I'll have a 2860rs and what I think is a Tomei header for sale in ABOUT 2 weeks.... I can pull it sooner if you are interested.

This turbo has NO lag. From a roll, from almost any rpm, I can outpull my friends 2010 GT500 Mustang like he forgot to step on the gas.

A little smaller than you were looking for, but it does 300 wheel all day long. (I think I'm at about 325 actually)/

megafandrew
03-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Toma
I'll have a 2860rs and what I think is a Tomei header for sale in ABOUT 2 weeks.... I can pull it sooner if you are interested.

This turbo has NO lag. From a roll, from almost any rpm, I can outpull my friends 2010 GT500 Mustang like he forgot to step on the gas.

A little smaller than you were looking for, but it does 300 wheel all day long. (I think I'm at about 325 actually)/

Definitely Toma just send me a link when you post it or let me know by pm. I talked to you a while ago about tuning but this year it looks like Ill actually be ready for that eventually of course Ill talk to you about that later. Ive got the car to a leak free/trouble free state right now would it possible to schedule in something for a quick base run to see what type of whp Im making now? I want to see if my upgrades net me, and I would be curious to see what Im making at 12psi right now with what I have done.

Haha ya I would probally like the extra kick of the 2876 too zenki, I do like those smaller ones like Toma mentioned for the reason of quick spool up. If I could hit around that 325 Id be happy! What about the top end pull of that turbo? Since Im looking into the 1/4 this year it would be important for my car to pull relatively strong all the way to a shift.

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by megafandrew

Definitely Toma just send me a link when you post it or let me know by pm. I talked to you a while ago about tuning but this year it looks like Ill actually be ready for that eventually of course Ill talk to you about that later. Ive got the car to a leak free/trouble free state right now would it possible to schedule in something for a quick base run to see what type of whp Im making now? I want to see if my upgrades net me, and I would be curious to see what Im making at 12psi right now with what I have done.

Haha ya I would probally like the extra kick of the 2876 too zenki, I do like those smaller ones like Toma mentioned for the reason of quick spool up. If I could hit around that 325 Id be happy! What about the top end pull of that turbo? Since Im looking into the 1/4 this year it would be important for my car to pull relatively strong all the way to a shift.

That turbo will pull solid all the way until redline. It had his car running 11.4 seconds in the quarter. (=

right now, if its an s13, your stock s13 turbo will be making you around 210 whp at 12 psi.

megafandrew
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM

That turbo will pull solid all the way until redline. It had his car running 11.4 seconds in the quarter. (=

right now, if its an s13, your stock s13 turbo will be making you around 210 whp at 12 psi.

Wow thats not bad ya its a stock t25 redtop sr, and it definitely pulls hard even at where its at. O ya thats a good turbo if it got Toma into 11.4, I imagine his mods were fairly intense.

Toma again pm me or Ill keep an eye out for your turbo for sale give me a price for the turbo/manifold and mabey the turbo by itself. Id actua;ly by any of the setup I could so I can mount it directly onto my sr.

Im thinking as this goes along I should turn it into a mini build thread it would be easier for people to follow along and that way you'll know/see what problems I might run into. Again zenki when that shops up and running I might do some engine work at the least get you guys to help me out with my head building.