PDA

View Full Version : Awd alignment shops

stealth141
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
What are some shops you would recommend and also price if you know?

Asking because there's some places that 'align' it and the second you're out it still isn't driving straight.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Country Hills Toyota is where I take my Subaru.
Go see Jason Morrow, guy knows his stuff.

Idratherbsidewayz
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Kirk's Tire on Blackfoot. They've always done great work for my Subaru and my dad's Tacoma 4x4.

stealth141
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
That's the other end of the city for me. How is koncept autoworks? They have a special on right now.

psycoticclown
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Country Hills Toyota is where I take my Subaru.
Go see Jason Morrow, guy knows his stuff.

+1

Did a good job on my car.

Tuner1
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Right here! Today we aligned a Porsche 997 and a lifted Land Cruiser - no job too small or too large :D

g-m
03-31-2011, 12:17 AM
knibbe automotive on 15th ave and center st. Honest, cheap, and good. I'd never go anywhere else and I only let people touch my car for alignments.

Seikencube
03-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Tuner1
Right here! Today we aligned a Porsche 997 and a lifted Land Cruiser - no job too small or too large :D

How much roughly do you guys charge for alignment?

stealth141
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
The one I found is 65 for an all wheel drive alignment

ExtraSlow
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by g-m
knibbe automotive on 15th ave and center st. Honest, cheap, and good. I'd never go anywhere else and I only let people touch my car for alignments.
Kinda OT, but how do you find Knibbe for diagnostic work? I'm pretty close to them, and I can't stand the dealerships.

crapstixs
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
what is this awd alignment you speak of? if its a awd, front drive, rear drive, or 4x4 its the same procedure. the 4 wheel thrust alignment is what is normally done. cheap and good dont go in the same sentence. if you want a decent alignment your going to be paying about $120.

n1zm0
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs
what is this awd alignment you speak of? if its a awd, front drive, rear drive, or 4x4 its the same procedure.

:werd: when i worked at the dealership FWD/AWD alignments all took the same steps..

g-m
03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Kinda OT, but how do you find Knibbe for diagnostic work? I'm pretty close to them, and I can't stand the dealerships. haven't had anything approaching a poor experience there. I do my own diagnostics but my brother and friends have had good experiences having diagnostics done there

stealth141
03-31-2011, 06:07 PM
The one I'm getting is on special and 65 dollars for an awd alignment.

m10-power
03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
This is one of those 'you get what you pay' things. Alignment for a give a shit car is really a no brainer. When you want specifics and knowledge you must pay for results. What are you looking for?

crapstixs
04-01-2011, 01:38 AM
some food for thought,
with a good new aligner, you can bring in a car, set it up, do a sweep and set the front toe. in about 20 min. thats were the cheap ass alignment stops. even if it needs camber/caster adjust you will be told not to worry about it or its non-adjustible. when you pay $120, you are paying for a hour of labour. most techs will adjust everything up to one hour. then thats when you start paying by the hour. you can get alot done in a hour, last week on a chev half ton i shifted a rear axle, adjusted camber/caster and set toe in a hour. you really do get what you pay for. and concidering you can destroy a set of brand new tires in under 5000km with bad alignment, is $120 really that bad.

ExtraSlow
04-01-2011, 07:08 AM
yeah, I agre with crapstixs, you can't just buy "an alignment" like you would buy a large fries at macdonalds. There are different steps , and the cheaper places will skip them.

BlackFyre
04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Judging by his name, I would think he's probably referring to having the rear wheels aligned in accordance with the AWS, but it's just a guess.

crapstixs
04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BlackFyre
Judging by his name, I would think he's probably referring to having the rear wheels aligned in accordance with the AWS, but it's just a guess.
you missed the sarcasm.

BlackFyre
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
what is this awd alignment you speak of? if its a awd, front drive, rear drive, or 4x4 its the same procedure. the 4 wheel thrust alignment is what is normally done. cheap and good dont go in the same sentence. if you want a decent alignment your going to be paying about $120.

Yes, I can see your stunning use of sarcasm. However, doing an alignment on a vehicle with functioning AWS is NOT the same as doing an alignment on a non-AWS equipped vehicle.

What I'm saying is that the poster most likely meant a vehicle with AWS not AWD.

crapstixs
04-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Yes, I can see your stunning use of sarcasm. However, doing an alignment on a vehicle with functioning AWS is NOT the same as doing an alignment on a non-AWS equipped vehicle.

What I'm saying is that the poster most likely meant a vehicle with AWS not AWD.
how many wheels drive the car has nothing to do with wheel alignment. and becides there is no different procidure for cars trucks, and awd. if there is a car with a awd option, and it dose have different specs, when you put the vehical info into the alignment computer the correct specs will come up.

BlackFyre
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM

how many wheels drive the car has nothing to do with wheel alignment. and becides there is no different procidure for cars trucks, and awd. if there is a car with a awd option, and it dose have different specs, when you put the vehical info into the alignment computer the correct specs will come up.

:facepalm:

FraserB
04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
So I assume that any good shop will adjust caster as well. My new suspension setup is a bit rare and I don't trust the monkeys at KalTire after the Jeep's last stay with them. I have no issues paying for a good job, I just want someone with a brain to be working on it.

So far I'll be calling Tunerworks, Southside Frame, Kirks..

Any others?

crapstixs
04-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
So I assume that any good shop will adjust caster as well. My new suspension setup is a bit rare and I don't trust the monkeys at KalTire after the Jeep's last stay with them. I have no issues paying for a good job, I just want someone with a brain to be working on it.

So far I'll be calling Tunerworks, Southside Frame, Kirks..

Any others? solid front axle i assume? If it is, any good shop will adjust caster. its just two cams on the trailing arms, really easy to adjust. I know when you start screwing with chyslers solid fronts you can get alot of axle and pinion noise if caster is out.
Ive had a few people tell me southside is not a good place, but thats going back a few years. if you have a crazy set up why dont you try modern motors or 4wd center.

FraserB
04-09-2011, 01:14 AM
SFA, 3 link in the front with a part on the UCA mount to adjust caster. 4 adjustable control arms in the rear.

MM just sends them to Kal I think and I refuse to do business with National.

crapstixs
04-09-2011, 01:21 AM

ooohhh, your saying all wheel steering not all wheel drive. Im silly. but no the procedure and the specs are still the same. the rear steering rack is totaly hydrolic controlled and will lock into place when the front wheels are straight and also when the engine is off. the only time the rear wheels move is during parking.

crapstixs
04-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
SFA, 3 link in the front with a part on the UCA mount to adjust caster. 4 adjustable control arms in the rear.

MM just sends them to Kal I think and I refuse to do business with National.
that should be easy to adjust, really any compentent tech should be able to do it. drag links are super easy, really all that you can adjust is caster and toe. camber you have to get collers for, but most of the time camber is good unless you have really waled something.