PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who Series 6 (2011)

Vagabond142
03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
This is starting up soon (April)... and they just released this trailer for it:

9vIsQ25Krq8

:eek: I'm... just slightly... kinda... well, REALLY stoked for this :D :drool:

Anyone else a Dr Who fan that is champing at the bit for the show to start up again? :D

Feruk
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Dr Who is so cheesy, but I can't help but watch it! The only thing that sucks about British shows is they always do so few episodes per season.

Vagabond142
03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Dr Who is so cheesy, but I can't help but watch it! The only thing that sucks about British shows is they always do so few episodes per season.

Dr Who is epic cheese. It's silly, it's sometimes scary, but it's always excellent. It's the storytelling, despite the cheese factor, that wins :D

As to the length, while a season of 20-24 episodes per year of a show is normal over here, in the UK, a series of 13 with 2-4 specials (which can range from short TV movies to small charity episodes for fundraisers to live performances of an episode) is the norm. As well, it's the taxpayers that are paying for the content, not a studio, so BBC shows have to be high quality and low production, sadly. That's why Top Gear dropped from something around 15-17 shows a series to 4-7.

That said, Dr Who has actually pioneered a lot of tv advances... prosthetics, camera moves, it was even the first show to use nothing but synthesizers for it's music:

EwUgh073qqE

Compare that to the now mostly live-symphonic score... kind of an interesting reversal of how things normally are with music XD

RV6bbP1rZ84

Plus... is there ANY more iconic theme in all of TV? I mean, even people that have never seen a single episode KNOW where the music comes from

And yes, I am geeking out a bit here, so sue me :whocares: :goflames:

And if you want SUPER cheese... here's a documentary on the making of the early 80's synth theme, done for an after-school program, so its... cheesy... XD but super cool. Also, all the gear he's playing on in this video costs about the same as middle market CAR did in the 80's o_O

-OWMGAiaNeQ

TKRIS
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
A fellow Whovian!!
I'm super excited as well.
This season is going to be split into 2 sections. Apparently, Moffet has done a lot of the writing this year, so it should be awesome.
I'm hoping this season lives up to the hype. I really want to be a Matt Smith fan, but as good as last season was, Tenant is still my doctor...

I've been trying to get into Torchwood to hold me over between Who seasons. It's not terrible, but it's not that great either.

I'm pretty geeky at the best of times, but I get especially geeky when it comes to Doctor Who...

My ring tone is the TARDIS sound...

Vagabond142
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

My ring tone is the TARDIS sound...

So you leave the parking brake on too? :D

Feruk
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Haha I miss Tenant as well; Smith just isn't as cool. Hopefully the writing does pick up because that Christmas special was epically bad.

TKRIS
03-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

So you leave the parking brake on too? :D

Works great as a little personality test.
If I meet someone and they recognize my ringtone, we're probably going to end up being BFFs...

Vagabond142
03-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Works great as a little personality test.
If I meet someone and they recognize my ringtone, we're probably going to end up being BFFs...

The real test of a geek vs a Whovian is if they can tell you what the Eye of Harmony is :D

Man, we are geekjacking this thread (then again, it's my thread, so nyah!) :D

On topic, though, I think I'm most looking forward to getting to the crest of the River Song arc, because she's travelling backwards in relation to the Doctor travelling forwards, so finally seeing the big clash in the middle is gonna be cool. Also, I'd wager there'll be a Dalek episode in there somewhere, what now with Davros back in the time loop. This is gonna be one HELL of a season :D

SGForever
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
OMG so happy I found this thread! Once I got over the horrible voiceing they use for the Daleks its really addicting haha
Now if I could only get some of my girlfriends into it....

bball2
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I've never seen doctor who, anyone know what a good place to start would be?

I checked out wikipedia and it's pretty confusing:

Classic series:
23 November 1963 –
6 December 1989
Television film:
12 May 1996
New series:
26 March 2005 – present

Related shows:
K-9 and Company
Torchwood
The Sarah Jane Adventures
K-9
Doctor Who Confidential
Totally Doctor Who

Vagabond142
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
bball2:

If you weren't raised on the earlier versions, then the 2005 season with Christopher Eccleston, while referencing the earlier shows, was designed as a modern introduction to Dr Who for a new generation, and as such has a lot of quick-n-dirty history lessons packed into the show.

David Tennant's tenure of 4 years builds up the whole mythos again, and I would say is equivalent to Tom Baker's stint in the 70's, and Matt Smith is sort of this generation's Peter Davison, ie the silly-serious Doctor.

Another reason there are so many series and so many actors playing the role, is through a nice loophole the original writers created for Time Lords (the Dr's race). They can literally die 13 times and regenerate, due to their unique understanding of time and space (the whole mythos is that they don't see time as a linear line, instead as a giant vortex constantly spinning around itself), so, technically, we can have 13 Doctor's. We're on #11 now, and if each actor does 3-4 years, we have at least 6-8 years before another loophole will have to be written in to keep the series going :D

So, to answer your question, start with the 2005 season. Be warned, it is VERY camp, but also great fun. :D

As to the other shows you linked... Torchwood is a spinoff from the last episode of the 2006 series, Sarah Jane Adventures is a "kid's show" (term used VERY lightly) that has one of the Doctor's original traveling companions (Sarah Jane Smith, played by the original actor too) adopting an "archetype" human-clone genius and covering that day to day life while also living in the shadow of the Doctor (never watched it, but read up on it), K-9 Adventures is an Australian abomination of a show based off of the Doctor's faithful companion K-9 the robot dog in the 70's, Totally Doctor Who is sort of a pop culture show about Dr Who, and Doctor Who Confidential is a documentary show that comes on directly after each episode talking about how the episode was made, thoughts and feelings from the director, writer, actors, staff, etc. It shows how certain effects are done, and is of keen interest if you want a behind the scenes peek at how British TV is made :)

SGForever: Dalek voices are so much win. http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/Doctor%20Who/thxcoojpz1hckzmqm62w1.gif

Vagabond142
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Two weeks till the new series 6 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Started watching Series 5 again. Fucking LOVE eps 4 and 5, the weeping angels episodes. Best "suspense/horror" episodes of the series :D

Vagabond142
04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
This weekend :eek: :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
04-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Also, for those that do not know... Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith in the 70's/80's/00's) passed away a few days ago :( The first episode is going to be dedicated to her and there will be a special after the first episode that reflects on her involvement with Dr Who

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qU-IICdOQR0/Ta3-h5n4PKI/AAAAAAAAB0k/2ctRJ1nRFks/s400/_42714351_sarahjane_seeds400.jpg

Vagabond142
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Okay... THAT was an impressive start to the season. Let's just introduce a race that ranks nearly as high as the Daleks in the "oh fuck we're dead" scale :eek:

TKRIS
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Goddamnit. I hate having to wait for episodes...
Moffat's cliffhangers are going to give me an aneurysm.

Solid first episode!

Also, Chris Hardwick put up the Doctor Who Q&A panel he moderated after the U.S screening of the first 2 episodes of season 6 as a special bonus podcast that's worth checking out if you're a Who fan (Thr Nerdist Podcast).

Vagabond142
04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Very solid first episode. I also like the fact that the guy from Firefly is the ex-FBI dude... for the life of me, I can't remember the name, but he does just have that sense of "badass" about him, no matter what he acts in :P

Also, is it just me... or does the Matt Smith Doctor have some of the most epic lines of the new series (since 2005). Example:

MbihgxRYMCE

TKRIS
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Riiiiiiiight! Badger!
That's why he looked so familiar.

ZedMan
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I'vre been pretty happy with Smith, I liked Tennant better but I'll trade him for Smith anyday to have Karen Gillan ( :drool: )on board.

Vagabond142
05-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Karen Gillan + full black suit = :love:

That said, WOW what a firecracker to start the season. And...

A new time lady?!?! She does regenerate, but I want to see what she regenerates into O_O

Vagabond142
05-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Okay... WOW. S6Ep4... that has to be one of the top 5 or so episodes EVER of Dr Who.

And those who doubted Matt Smith's dramatic abilities, watch the last 10 minutes of this episode. Gravitas of Ecclestone, dramatic somberness of Tennant, and mad energy of Smith. Love it :D

TKRIS
05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, this season is shaping up to be the best season ever, which isn't a huge surprise with Moffat at the helm.
That was Neil Gaiman's episode too, FYI.

Wakalimasu
05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
wow didnt notice this thread

awesome episode 4.. mebbe we'll see sexy again :D

Vagabond142
05-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Wow.... just... what the hell just happened? That has gotta be one of the most fucked up endings for the recent few seasons of Dr Who. I NEVER saw that ending coming, even though they hinted at it so heavily (looking back over this season so far)

TKRIS
05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm going to have to rewatch all the episodes back to back during the mid-season break. I'm not used to watching new episodes as they come out, so I know I'm missing some of the nuance from this season because of having to wait a week between shows.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I hate when they do a mid season cliff hanger, but they've been talking about doing it for a while..

Going back a bit, as for the 13 time lords thing, I thought there was a loophole, that the doctor could regenerate indefinitely, unlike other time lords.

I've watched all the new series stuff (including Torchwood, excluding Sarah Jane, and excluding Planet of the Dead), and I'm a huge Tennant fan, whereas my girlfriend likes Smith more.

Vagabond142
06-01-2011, 07:44 AM
IIRC, there is one more episode before the midseason break, so at least we'll start in on the "wtf happened to Amy?!?" stream :P

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Well they said "To be continued..." and I know that the writers were really excited to break a 2parter up by the season break, to see what kind of hype they could get.

Edit: And I'm wrong.
BBC America website stated that Episode 6 (the 2nd part of rebel flesh) would be played June 4th, even though it already aired.

According to tv.com, episode 7 will air this saturday:

Season 6, Episode 7 – Aired: 6/4/2011
A Good Man Goes To War (1)

When Amy is kidnapped as bait in a trap, the Doctor declares war on those responsible and assembles an army of allies to recover her. Meanwhile, River realizes that the Doctor's darkest hour has come and she must reveal her greatest secret to the Time Lord.

Vagabond142
06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Referencing River's secret: What's the bet that the person that River killed (ie what got her in jail in the first place) is the Doctor? :O

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh. My. God. I think I have to agree with your spoiler however Vagabond...

Vagabond142
06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, the ending of episode 7 is a bit of a doozy :D

Vagabond142
08-23-2011, 07:56 AM
I'llll just leave this here ;)

76vzfxJRByA

Feruk
08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh YEAH! I don't even know why I like this show as it makes literally no sense most of the time, but can't wait!

Vagabond142
08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Oh YEAH! I don't even know why I like this show as it makes literally no sense most of the time, but can't wait!

To quote Season 5 Ep 1:

"There is one thing you must understand, your life might depend on it some day: I am definitely a mad man with a box!"

:D

almerick
08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Cannot wait!! Especially the music when the Doctor is about to do something epic/clever

iUMEzUMcu64

Been watching Torchwood as well but it just isn't as good as Doctor Who.

almerick
08-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Just a quick bump. A few facts are shown in this episode. Good episode, can't wait for next week! :clap:

Vagabond142
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Okay... just watched the Christmas Special...

All I have to say is that while the episode itself may not be the best christmas special made, holy FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK does it end well... the last 3 minutes are, to me, some of the singlemost powerful acting done by Matt Smith in his tenure on the show

almerick
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
R7YGoVyRSik

Vagabond142
08-03-2012, 10:50 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kritafo
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
I can hardly wait! I have been watching since the 70's can never get enough Dr Who