PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a vehicle, need advise

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
On my way home tonight i was walking across center street downtown,
light was walk, 2 suv's fail to stop for me as i was in the middle of the crosswalk, first one nearly hit me while turning, the other smoked me in the right side, it pushed me a good car length.
My lower leg got pulled under as my right side hit the grill
and my whipped my neck pulling me onto the hood.
I copied down her info, my side is hurting bad, my necks stiff and face is numb, ankle is sprained bad and i cant walk,
luckily a cop drove by as it happened and a witness helped me gather info as i was in shock and couldnt figure out what to do,
I definitely need to see a doctor in the morning and I cant
go into work like this tomorrow, as for physiotherapy i know ill need it i cant sleep because of the pain.
what do i do next ? go into the station and fill out some sort of report or
do I contact a lawyer and they contact her insurance.
never have i wanted to do this but i have no choice. need some help and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.
:banghead:

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:21 AM
her excuse was im sorry i knew i should have filled up my windsheild fluid....

badatusrnames
03-31-2011, 12:26 AM
I can't really offer any advice, but man, that sounds rough.

Contacting an injury lawyer may be the first step. They'll probably recommend you get into see a doctor/physio ASAP so you can document your injuries.

Hope you aren't too badly beat up. I'm surprised the cop didn't offer more advice, did he at least ticket the driver that hit you?

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:30 AM
thanks man, no he told the witness to give me all her info as well and made sure i didn't need ems and drove off.

shakalaka
03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Contacting a good injury lawyer should deff be the first step. From the sounds of it, you could have some kind of a claim against the stupid driver in your hands. If you need a recommendation for a good injury lawyer, let me know, I know off a really good one.

revelations
03-31-2011, 08:08 AM
IMO you only need a lawyer if one of the following is true:

a) your settlement is nowhere near a typical case
b) you dont want to deal with any of the paperwork

Lawyers can eat up around 33% of your settlement right away and can delay your settlement years as compared to what the female drivers' insurance company can offer you pretty soon.

Document everything, and keep a log of physio etc. bad nights sleep. The insurance company is interested in closing this case as soon as possible.

SJW
03-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't feel bad for you. LOOK BOTH MOTHER FUCKING WAYS BEFORE AND DURING YOUR STREET CROSSING. I see this at least 5 times a week. Nobody fucking looks any more.

You should consult a lawyer.

Perhaps watch this video.

I'll pass it on to my son when he's 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhaxrpTqro

A790
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by SJW
I don't feel bad for you. LOOK BOTH MOTHER FUCKING WAYS BEFORE AND DURING YOUR STREET CROSSING. I see this at least 5 times a week. Nobody fucking looks any more.
He had the right of way.

And this comment is so douchey it's almost funny.

Well done. :thumbsup:

SJW
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Right of way or not. Do you not look both ways? I'd honestly say if I was crossing and a truck wasn't stopping, the truck would have the right of way.

Just sayin.

Take some responsibility for your safety. I stop for pedestrians but one day another won't. If you die in a cross walk who's fault is it really?

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by SJW

Are you serious? The guy had a walk light. A vehicle can cross the street and hit you *real* quick - even if you did look.

The OP is in pain - and you scold him because he was hit by a vehicle which wasn't where it was supposed to be? Wow. Just wow.

A790
03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by SJW
Right of way or not. Do you not look both ways? I'd honestly say if I was crossing and a truck wasn't stopping, the truck would have the right of way.

Just sayin.

Take some responsibility for your safety. I stop for pedestrians but one day another won't. If you die in a cross walk who's fault is it really?
I'm not really disagreeing with what you said, but you said it in the most arrogant and condescending way possible.

HyperZell
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Are you serious? The guy had a walk light. A vehicle can cross the street and hit you *real* quick - even if you did look.

The OP is in pain - and you scold him because he was hit by a vehicle which wasn't where it was supposed to be? Wow. Just wow.

SJW put it a little insensitively, but I agree with the basic message. "Right of way" doesn't mean shit when you're dead or badly injured - a crosswalk, lights or no, is not a forcefield.

Anyways, best of luck getting better and getting compensation OP.

SJW
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by A790

I'm not really disagreeing with what you said, but you said it in the most arrogant and condescending way possible.

It's because i'm a dick. I do feel bad for the guy. But have a look is all i'm sayin.

George Carlin said it best - The kid who swallows too many marbles, doesn’t grow up to have kids of his own. Simple as that! Nature knows best. Nature should be able to kill off the weak and sickly and ignorant people, without interference from batting helmets and airbags.

I hope he gets a great settlement and knows he got off with a free lesson.

SJW
03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Sorry if i'm a bit sideways today. I have a pregnant wife that is tearing away at my soul.

badatusrnames
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SJW

Ok, you lack a little tact, but I can see where you're coming from.

Why put blind faith in the fact that some stranger speeding towards you in 4,000 lbs of steel is not going to hit you because of some abstraction called "right of way?" They could be drunk, distracted, stupid, or all of the above.

Sure, if you get hit, technically you're in the right. But at the end of the day, as the pedestrian, you're the one that's getting fucked up the most, whether you had "right of way" or not.

Sort of reminds me of the couple that got plowed into at night on 32nd ave by the University a few years ago. Sure, they technically had the right of way, but how do you blindly walk in front of a van speeding towards you at 70 km/h, when it's dark, in a poorly marked crosswalk, and just assume the driver is going to see you and stop? That's a pretty serious assumption to make, and it ended up costing them their lives.

Still OP, hope everything works out for you, not many people deserve to get hit by a car.

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SJW
I have a pregnant wife that is tearing away at my soul.

Ha! I lol'd.

I do understand what you're saying SJW. Its just that things happen so fast, even if he did look it might not have made a difference.... we just don't have diagrams and specifics that could lead us to such conclusions.

And besides that, I would suggest that someone not following the rules of the road in their vehicle would be primarily considered at fault - yet your statements seemt to indicate it is entirely the OP's fault... which is quite unfair imo - especially, again, without the specifics.

SJW
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
If you get hit by a car in a crosswalk forget what the law says, it's 50/50.

whiskas
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by SJW

So if a car runs a red light and crashes into another car that was going through green it's 50/50?

Your pregnant wife is making you go full retard.

SJW
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

So if a car runs a red light and crashes into another car that was going through green it's 50/50?

Your pregnant wife is making you go full retard.

Look spindoctor, read exactly what I wrote. Go back review the thread. Then perhaps you can respond in a way that makes a shred of sense.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by SJW

Look spindoctor, read exactly what I wrote. Go back review the thread. Then perhaps you can respond in a way that makes a shred of sense.

Can't wait until some retard hits you while you're on your bikes. It'll be 100% your fault for riding a bike.

Isaiah
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
SJW: That's you in the picture yes?

narou
03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SJW

50/50 is actually quite extreme. Although I do believe that someone getting hit crossing a roadway has to be at fault by some measure 50/50 is just not right.

A person crossing the road does not have as much ability to avoid getting struck by a car, as the driver has the ability to avoid hitting a pedestrian.

The only situations where any significant fault should be placed on the pedestrian getting struck on a roadway is in situations where a pedestrian gets struck J-Walking or failing to look both ways crossing a one way street. You all might think looking both ways downtown crossing a one way street is not necessary but you should see how many tools frequently drive the wrong way on one way roadways both downtown and in the burbs.

leftwing
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SJW

What he wrote is exactly what your arguing against...
If there was a "walk" light the car obviously had a red light or a yeild. So the pedestrian was walking on his signal to go (his green light (walk light)) and the car went through the red /yeild and hit him.

SJW your a plain ol retard. I feel sorry for your wife and soon to be kid. I can imagine how 'sideways' it is going to be after learning whatever sort of twisted lessons your gonna teach it

leftwing
03-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

Can't wait until some retard hits you while you're on your bikes. It'll be 100% your fault for riding a bike.

haha yepp!

tom_9109
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
I've skipped all the other replies because it sounds like you do need help.

Since you are the pedestrian you are in a pretty good position.

Call the insurance company for that vehicle and let them know what happened and that you are injured. The Section B 'Accident Benefits' will treat you the same as an occupant hurt in an accident. Theres benefits for medical, lost wages etc.

Should by some strange circumstance that person be uninsured and you happen to have a vehicle insured YOUR section b will come into effect.

The section B should get you through the initial medical costs and is a 'no fault' coverage so regardless of what could happen later as to who was at fault that coverage is there and won't change.

As far as suing goes you will need a lawyer for that and would be suing the driver. Normally the onus is whomever initiates the legal actions however since you are a pedestrian the onus is automatically reverse and the driver is considered negligent until they prove otherwise.

So in short, use the section b to get healthy and cover lost wages (if any).

If there is anything long term or that wasn't covered by that, then hire a lawyer and sue.

PM me if you need any advice.

narou
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

So the pedestrian was walking on his signal to go (his green light (walk light)) and the car went through the red /yeild and hit him.

SJW your a plain ol retard. I feel sorry for your wife and soon to be kid. I can imagine how 'sideways' it is going to be after learning whatever sort of twisted lessons your gonna teach it

:thumbsup:

Seriously! How can you argue that someone in getting hit when they half a walk light is the one at major fault. If i decide one day to hop in my P.O.S JDM RHD GTS-T Skyline and run through a few red lights I could easily strike someone crossing the road. I don't do this because this is the real world not a video game. We should know that hitting someone in a cross walk with our vehicles is wrong and it is our fault if we cause them harm when they have the right of way.

You have to learn this shit or at least should learn about roadway rules and standards if you want to drive your vehicle in public. Of course I don't follow all the laws when driving around daily, but I am sure as hell going to take responsibility for something if I am in the wrong.

:guns:

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by SJW

Totally disagree with this. And so does the law.

Say I want to cross at a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal and look both ways, but see nothing except for a vehicle stopped on the other side of the street for a red light. And as I'm crossing, from behind the stopped car, someone decides to pull into the empty lane and cross on a red light, and hit me.

Now it is half my fault because I didn't "anticipate" that might have happened? Are we playing Frogger here or is this real life?

What the driver of this truck did was illegal, and the OP had every right to be where he was. Could he have looked (better)? Maybe. Could he have anticipated a vehicle doing something illegal? Perhaps.

Is he 50% at fault? In my opinion and (I'm sure) the opinion of the courts, no.

leftwing
03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
By SJW's logic, blind people are fucked. Walking in a crosswalk is like a war zone for them, and they are blind which is probably 50% their fault anyways so they wouldn't stand a chance in court.

SJW
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

What he wrote is exactly what your arguing against...
If there was a "walk" light the car obviously had a red light or a yeild. So the pedestrian was walking on his signal to go (his green light (walk light)) and the car went through the red /yeild and hit him.

Nice touch.

SJW
03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Look before I get beyonded, i'm simply saying look both mother fuckin ways. Not just a glance, but both ways before you cross and while you're crossing.

If this statement makes me a retard then i'll accept that.

SJW
03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Totally disagree with this. And so does the law.

Say I want to cross at a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal and look both ways, but see nothing except for a vehicle stopped on the other side of the street for a red light. And as I'm crossing, from behind the stopped car, someone decides to pull into the empty lane and cross on a red light, and hit me.

Now it is half my fault because I didn't "anticipate" that might have happened? Are we playing Frogger here or is this real life?

What the driver of this truck did was illegal, and the OP had every right to be where he was. Could he have looked (better)? Maybe. Could he have anticipated a vehicle doing something illegal? Perhaps.

Is he 50% at fault? In my opinion and (I'm sure) the opinion of the courts, no.

and so by this logic since i've looked both ways and i have a green light to cross, i should immediately start texting the piece of ass i'm going to nail tonite and expect to be perfectly fine?

I'm not talking about what the law has to say, i'm talking about what YOU as a person deem safe enough to cross.

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
No, I don't think anyone will dispute that looking both ways is a good idea when crossing the road. That's common sense, and something that should have been taught to everyone as a child.

But to say "If you get hit by a car in a crosswalk forget what the law says, it's 50/50" is a pretty absurd thing to say, imo. No matter how you look at it, the driver is doing something illegal and the pedestrian is not. That's reason enough for me to put at least 95% of the fault on the driver.

SJW
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
You are misconstruing what i'm saying.

What i meant by 50/50 is no one is responsible for your own safety but you. If you take a chance on crossing a road then you are taking your life into your own hands since we share the road with cars.

Regardless of what any douchebag lawyer says. You are responsible for your own safety. No one else is.

All you other clowns need to learn what a debate is. Comparing me on my bikes to pedestrians? Really?

I'm simply taking one side of the story here. I've noticed countless times people crossing the road without even bothering to look and it pisses me off. Are we shocked when people get mowed down? I'm not.

Next time you are out driving around have a look what people's behaviour is. Then you'll see what I mean.

I don't wish any ill will on the OP at all, i'm simply taking one side of a debate.

jdmXSI
03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
I kinda agree with SJW on this in a common sense view not a legal view that the responsibility should be shared.

Same as everyone else, i do feel bad for the OP and hope he has a speedy recovery and gets what he is entitled for his injuries.

I can see its half the pedestrian's fault for not looking both ways. Believe it or not, you can tell if a vehicle is going to slow down or just plow through the cross walk (If you can't, just wait to see if they stop). The other half of the responsibilty lays on the operator of the motor vehicle not paying attention to clearly marked intersections or crosswalks. Is it the motor vehicles fault for hitting the pedestrian, yes. If the pedestrian looked both ways before they crossed or assumed that the vehicles were going to stop, could the incident have been avoided? Probably...

Of course not all circumstance are not going to be as clear an open intersection were the pedestrian can both ways clearly. If that was the case, well thats just suicide if you think everyone is going to stop for you, especially the soccer mom on her cell trying to shut up her bratty kids in the back.

Feruk
03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
I feel bad for the OP but agree with SJW on common sense. If OP had exercised the wisdom of a 5 year old, he wouldn't be in this situation. It's legally not his fault, but he could've prevented the accident. Too many Canadians these days (especially asians in my experience) live in this imaginary bubble thinking they will be safe as long as they follow every rule and throw common sense out the window.

Good luck travelling. The "chicken with it's head cut off" attitude might work here for the most part, but not outside of North America.

kvg
03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
GO TO A DOCTOR FIRST!!! Who's fault it was, how a lawyer can help you, and everything else should come after you make sure you don't need something medically immediately.

Guillermo
03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
wow, i'm truly amazed at all of the hate in this thread.

#1 - OP never stated whether or not he looked before crossing. since just about 99.9999999% of people look when crossing, i think it's safe to assume OP did too. saying that you don't feel sorry for someone for not looking, when there is no evidence to suggest that they didn't look, is completely dickwad-ish. :dunno:

#2 - to OP: dude, it sounds like you're in bad shape, but thankfully you're still alive. i've been brushed by cars at least a couple of times when i was on bicycles, and man that's really scary. i can't imagine how shaken up you must be right now. make sure you get a really, really good lawyer. good luck to you. :thumbsup:

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
dual turning lane, i was crossing center street along fifth avenue sw, when the car hit the intersection it was green, given it was a solid light and walking light, she followed the suv infront and in the right lane of her, before crossing there were no vehicles even approaching the intersection.... in no way could i have prevented this... sjw your an idiot... if they were at the intersection while i started to cross id understand where your coming from ? ... lol

mac70135
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

this one. :hitit:

mac70135
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Then when you're in a lot of pain and you go on beyond asking people what to do, i'm gonna post something like this:

Originally posted by SJW

take out the word "crosswalk", then insert word "bike"

'cuz it's your fault for not looking right???

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
in other word's guy, THE VEHICLES APPROACHED THE INTERSECTION WHEN I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET.

slinkie
03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Damn man, hope you are okay, sue the pants off them.

egmilano
03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
I gave her the choice of paying me for my physio,meds and week of work, or ill file the claim tonight.

Xtrema
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
I gave her the choice of paying me for my physio,meds and week of work, or ill file the claim tonight.

No. No. No.

Insurance please. You are doing us a favor. Anyone who doesn't deal with insurance are letting bad drivers get away scott free.

Also, you don't know how extensive the damage is or how long these symptoms will last. The driver can always skip town and you are screwed. Please deal with insurance for your and our sake.

IMO, I think the driver is @ 100% fault. How can you turn there without seeing pedestrian crossing? Especially with a walk light. And if her excuse is not enough windshield fluid, she doesn't deserve to be on the road, period.

G-ZUS
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Xtrema

No. No. No.

Insurance please. You are doing us a favor. Anyone who doesn't deal with insurance are letting bad drivers get away scott free.

Also, you don't know how extensive the damage is or how long these symptoms will last. The driver can always skip town and you are screwed. Please deal with insurance for your and our sake.

IMO, I think the driver is @ 100% fault. How can you turn there without seeing pedestrian crossing? Especially with a walk light. And if her excuse is not enough windshield fluid, she doesn't deserve to be on the road, period.

:werd: Don't be an idiot OP, go through her insurance.

jdmXSI
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Definatly go through insurance. My girlfriend was rearended by a drunk driver which gave her moderate whiplash and this was about 5 years ago, she still suffers today from a sore neck. What the driver did will affect you for te rest of your life, you might as well be compensated for it!

Good luck!

Speed_69
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

:werd: Don't be an idiot OP, go through her insurance.

:werd: You're being stupid if you don't go through her insurance. It would be much easier for you and you would be guaranteed payment from her insurance company for your Physio. You could possibly even need much more then a week off of work. You could also get some payment for pain and suffering.

egmilano
03-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah i'm thinking that insurance is the best bet, i've just talked to my uncle who is a corporate lawyer and he said if there are any other symptoms in the next two weeks's id be shit out of luck if I wanted to be reimbursed. I think insurance is definitely the way to go now. I asked for 2500, which pays for the physio which is 1400 with 21 visit's its a car accident. and 1100 for work. Do you guys think insurance will pay more ? I mean Im just concerned with the physio and work being claimed .

Guillermo
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO GO THROUGH INSURANCE. i've heard of stories where people were in accidents and thought they were fine, only to find out later that their neck/back/whatever was totally FUCKED. you NEED to go through insurance to cover yourself for injuries that might appear with time.

hope you start feeling better, man!

SJW
03-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mac70135
Then when you're in a lot of pain and you go on beyond asking people what to do, i'm gonna post something like this:

take out the word "crosswalk", then insert word "bike"

'cuz it's your fault for not looking right???

:facepalm:

Xtrema
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah i'm thinking that insurance is the best bet, i've just talked to my uncle who is a corporate lawyer and he said if there are any other symptoms in the next two weeks's id be shit out of luck if I wanted to be reimbursed. I think insurance is definitely the way to go now. I asked for 2500, which pays for the physio which is 1400 with 21 visit's its a car accident. and 1100 for work. Do you guys think insurance will pay more ? I mean Im just concerned with the physio and work being claimed .

Set goals instead of set price if you can, especially medical expenses. I'm not sure the soft tissue cap applies here, you probably need to find someone more knowledgeable.

As for missed work, you'll need a doctor's note to confirm that you can't work.

Weapon_R
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Adjusters love guys like you. The real injuries don't flare up for months, sometimes years. By settling now for a couple of weeks of physio, you may sign away your right to claim if something serious arises as a result of this.

egmilano
03-31-2011, 03:08 PM
cops called, they both ran the red light, maybe a camera by james short parkade ? .

egmilano
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
insurance ftw, no taking a chance lol

Tik-Tok
03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
cops called, they both ran the red light, maybe a camera by james short parkade ? .

That doesn't seem right? If you had a solid walking figure, then those lights would be green. The "don't walk" figure comes up long before those lights turn yellow/red. Maybe they both ran lights at another intersection before that?

yogert
03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
OP got hit by a turning vehicle.

Its easy to look both ways and tell if a through vehicle is going to stop because you can tell they are slowing down as they approach. Turning vehicles need to slow down to make the turn which appears like they see you and are preparing to stop. Is it realistic to wait for all vehicles to come to a complete stop before crossing?

Looks like it's not a matter of looking both ways when crossing, you have to constantly check all 4 directions!!

egmilano
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by yogert
OP got hit by a turning vehicle.

Its easy to look both ways and tell if a through vehicle is going to stop because you can tell they are slowing down as they approach. Turning vehicles need to slow down to make the turn which appears like they see you and are preparing to stop. Is it realistic to wait for all vehicles to come to a complete stop before crossing?

Looks like it's not a matter of looking both ways when crossing, you have to constantly check all 4 directions!!

I was looking behind, the 301 is east bound and makes the same turn. the vehicles were at the other intersection when i looked, i couldnt tell they were suv's just lights that how far they were.they could have came from anywhere prior to approaching the intersection. I was keeping an eye out for the bus which makes the same left turn. I have common sense aswell.

4lti
03-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by SJW

I dont know if I was expecting to much... but that was a pretty lame video. Maybe all the Australian realistic ones have set a new standard in my head.

bart
03-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by SJW

i agree, i see lots of people entering cross walks not looking and not caring. i always look because assume drivers are dumb like proven in the 1st post and i want to live.

recently there was an ambulance on an emergency blasting through downtown and a couple dumbasses entered the crosswalk like there was no ambulance and just at normal speed strolled across and the ambulance had to come to a complete stop!!!!!!! :guns:

if you are like those people who don't care or don't look i'm glad you got hit

yellowsnow
03-31-2011, 07:30 PM
my friend of mine was hit by a car around 8-10 years ago. She STILL has headaches, major back pain, and sometimes she can't even get out of bed. Don't want to scare you, but her symptoms got steadily worse as the years went by. she goes to chiro, and physio almost every week now, seen numerous specialists, and it's helped a bit, but she's still not 100%. She probably will never be 100% again.

So yeah, go through insurance. And make sure they pay you an adequate amount of money. Depending on your injuries, you could be facing YEARS of medical treatment, and potentially not be fully healed even.

If her insurance tries to dick you around, talk to some injury lawyers and see what they think you can get. I don't believe in screwing someone because you can, but if you have to go through life with constant pain, then you need to make sure your medical bills are covered at the very least.

tom_9109
03-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Just to say it again, this is like the perfect situation to address your injuries.

Their section B will cover medical expenses up to $50,000 initially and then if you sue them the onus is reversed and they are automatically assumed to be negligent unless they prove otherwise.

frizzlefry
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
I witnessed a female jogger get hit by a car. I was waiting to cross at an intersection. Light turns green, I get the walk sign, I cross, started walking away on the sidewalk on the other side then I hear a woman scream and I turn around to look. She jogged into the crosswalk, heading the same direction as me, when the light was almost red and got nailed by a turning car. I was already across and walking on the sidewalk when she ran across, did not want to stop and break her workout I guess. I told the cops what happened, told the drivers insurance company when they called what happened and that it was her fault. She ran into the intersection on a flashing hand that was about to go solid. The driver still got held liable and the jogger sued I'm pretty sure. Joggers are the worst, they don't want to interrupt their workout and enter intersections when they should not all the time.

Tik-Tok
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Joggers are the worst, they don't want to interrupt their workout and enter intersections when they should not all the time.

Still better than the walkers who start on the flashing hand. At least joggers are moving a little more quickly than a casual stroll.

mac70135
04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SJW

So what if your pregnant wife gets hit by a car in a crosswalk? Still 50/50??

Easy for you to act like a "dick" and act all tough until it happens to someone you know.

SJW
04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by mac70135

So what if your pregnant wife gets hit by a car in a crosswalk? Still 50/50??

Easy for you to act like a "dick" and act all tough until it happens to someone you know.

You sir are a moron. Go ahead and live in your hypothetical life and take your stupid retorts back to the mouth breather mansion you live in.

Start debating like a normal grown up and then we can continue. Until then go the fuck away.

CUG
04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I've seen some pedestrians go into aspergers mode and just hope for the best. It's stupid. I hope you didn't do that OP.

5t3v3
04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
I witnessed a female jogger get hit by a car. I was waiting to cross at an intersection. Light turns green, I get the walk sign, I cross, started walking away on the sidewalk on the other side then I hear a woman scream and I turn around to look. She jogged into the crosswalk, heading the same direction as me, when the light was almost red and got nailed by a turning car. I was already across and walking on the sidewalk when she ran across, did not want to stop and break her workout I guess. I told the cops what happened, told the drivers insurance company when they called what happened and that it was her fault. She ran into the intersection on a flashing hand that was about to go solid. The driver still got held liable and the jogger sued I'm pretty sure. Joggers are the worst, they don't want to interrupt their workout and enter intersections when they should not all the time.

WTF. Even with your testament and witness account, the driver was still held liable? Fuck, I hate how the law always sides with the peds in an accident; this only breeds retards crossing the road without looking. Some of the replies in this thread (particularly against SJW) truly shows some of the people out there with entitlement issues.

"Ha! green light for me, I'm just gonna cross. Hit me motherfuckers, 'cus I'll sue your ass off if you do."

*BAM... hit by a drunk driver*... an idiot killing another idiot and guess who comes out on the shittier end of the stick?

slinkie
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Definatly go through insurance. My girlfriend was rearended by a drunk driver which gave her moderate whiplash and this was about 5 years ago, she still suffers today from a sore neck. What the driver did will affect you for te rest of your life, you might as well be compensated for it!

Good luck!

+1, a relative of mine was in a rear ender several years ago and still has back/neck pain. Not the type of guy to complain either. He did get over 100k to make up for his lost work time but it took at least 18 months to come through, this is in BC btw.

He said he would rather it never happened since doing things like home reno's or even playing with his kids can really drain him now

egmilano
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SJW

You sir are a moron. Go ahead and live in your hypothetical life and take your stupid retorts back to the mouth breather mansion you live in.

Start debating like a normal grown up and then we can continue. Until then go the fuck away.
meh hopefully your kid walks with a limp after birth ,
...........not too nice when someones rude back hey lol you need to grow up dude.

SJW
04-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Just make sure you take a look next time there are trains around. They're much bigger than cars or SUVs.

By the way that post wasn't even directed at you. Have a read.

http://blog.ascentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/The_More_You_Know.jpg

chkolny541
04-03-2011, 04:52 AM
You’re driving down the road and, in a moment of inattention, you run a red light. In one universe a cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket. In another universe you hit a little old lady and kill her. In the first universe you’re just an ordinary motorist. In the second you’re a shameful monster. But you had no control over the presence of the little old lady; the same (small) list of controllable actions were available to you in both universes. If our moral responsibility extends only to our voluntary actions, then in both universes your only transgression lies in running the red light. Why then do we assign additional blame for hitting the lady, an outcome over which you had no control?

stumbled on this today, kinda an interesting quote. Thought it was pretty relevant to this thread

kenny
04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Lawyers can eat up around 33% of your settlement right away and can delay your settlement years as compared to what the female drivers' insurance company can offer you pretty soon.

The reason her insurance company will make a settlement offer asap is because it'll end up costing them less. If the OP ends up suffering long term pain, it will be too late to get more money to pay for it. This is the reason that injury lawyers "delay" the settlement, its in their client's best interest. Document everything and make sure you're good to go before trying to get any settlement.

whiskas
04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

stumbled on this today, kinda an interesting quote. Thought it was pretty relevant to this thread

It is an interesting quote, but it argues that we shouldn't be punished for our actions, but rather for the consequences. Expecting people not to be accountable and responsible for their actions isn't a good deterrent.

creeper
04-04-2011, 05:12 AM
I feel your pain OP, I see near misses all the time DT, Calgarians behind the wheel = disaster.

mac70135
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by SJW

You never answered the question. You're quite the hypocrite. Not so tough now when someone you know is put in a position where she' the one getting hit.

But hey, you said "I stop for pedestrians but one day another won't". Quite the irony if you end up hitting someone related to you.

SJW
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Tough? What? We're done here. I don't argue with people like you. I'm sure you can barely make sense of what you write in the first place.