PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy (tempered) shelving glass?

M.alex
03-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Any suggestions? I need some for doing some plain weave carbon fiber work.

Home Depot didn't carry any; I'm thinking maybe trying Speedy Auto Glass? (I've heard they also do showers and other stuff). Any other suggestions? :dunno:

jzz30dk
03-31-2011, 05:36 AM
you could order some from a glass shop called goldray they can cut whatever size you want

revelations
03-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Unless its for safety reasons, a 6 or 7mm thick plate glass should be fine for a shelf :dunno:

I made my own cabinet from 7mm plate glass to hold books, liquor, etc. Works fine.

HHURICANE1
03-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Any glass shop should be able to cut you some. A few years ago I needed some and just went to the local glass shop and they cut me some to measure.

redsrt4
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM
what size do u need?? how thick??

95teetee
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
just to mention: if you want tempered, no one can cut it.

It has to be cut before tempering, so you'd have to order it.

Like revelations said, thick enough plate glass is probably what you want- any glass shop can help you there.

redsrt4
03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
just give me the size and how thick u want.. ill cut and temper it 4u..

M.alex
03-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks but Speedy (on Macleod between Anderson and Southland) cut me some for free today :clap:

I didn't realize you can't cut tempered; learn something new everytime.

Now i just have to hope I've applied enough mold release wax to the 2 pieces, otherwise I'll have lost my glass and a few sheet of carbon fiber, heh.

rob the knob
03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
what you make?

Kloubek
03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
You guys think glass shops will cut a new piece for my patio set that shattered? It has rounded corners and a hole for the umbrella.... seems a little complex which probably means I might as well buy a new table....

Mar
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
I just picked up some glass shelving from Big A for free, he just had it cut out of scrap glass. Ask him to get you some, it's not tempered though.

big A
03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
^^^ Sure let me know the size. Downfall with me is it won't be tempered and the thickest I got is 5mill.

M.alex
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm beginning to see why our old friend George (rice_eater) took forever to deliver carbon products - making this stuff is hard.

I end up with a nice perfectly flat sheet, everything's good, except for the numerous air bubbles/voids in it. Sand sand, be careful not to go down to the carbon. Sand sand sand. Be careful. Re-coat with epoxy. Sand sand sand. Grgaggagagaga!

I bet I'd have been luck if I vacuum bagged it or autoclaved it (right now I'm just doing it by hand). Hmmm.

M.alex
04-01-2011, 01:18 AM
what does carbon fiber have to do with home and garden, heh :nut:

95teetee
04-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
You guys think glass shops will cut a new piece for my patio set that shattered? It has rounded corners and a hole for the umbrella.... seems a little complex which probably means I might as well buy a new table.... we do it all the time (I'm in Drumheller- you probably want a local shop:D ). Most people bring the table, we make a template and send it out to get the tempered piece made.

...but the 'buy a new table' option is likely cheaper, unless it's part of a large expensive set that you would have to buy.

Kloubek
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Nah, it's a $250 superstore set.

Perhaps thats why it shattered... hmmm....

M.alex
04-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Btw, helpful hint - don't try to do carbon fiber work on glass (non-tempered) - even mold release wax'd with 5 coats the glass exploded on me when I tried to pull the mold off it. Boooooo.