PDA

View Full Version : Plains Midstream

fajita123
04-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I've read the other thread on Plains and had a few more questions...

I've been looking to apply here with the crude oil engineering group and have been checking out their site.

On their website, they claim to have a bistro for lunch and a lounge where employees can socialize after work - does this mean what I think it does?

Also, I've heard they're building a gym on site - any e.t.a. on this?

And finally, I see you guys are all in I.T. but if you had any comments on the crude oil engineering group that would be great.

Thanks all.

Edit... I had meant to reply to an old thread on Plains, but it created a new thread instead :dunno: , oh well

Tik-Tok
04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by fajita123
Sorry to pull this back from the dead but I had a few applicable questions...

I've been looking to apply here with the crude oil engineering group and have been checking out their site.

On their website, they claim to have a bistro for lunch and a lounge where employees can socialize after work - does this mean what I think it does?

Also, I've heard they're building a gym on site - any e.t.a. on this?

And finally, I see you guys are all in I.T. but if you had any comments on the crude oil engineering group that would be great.

Thanks all and, once again, apologies for digging this up.

Digging what up?

edit: nice ninja edit, lol.

topmade
04-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Not sure what group you're talking about since I'm not aware of any Crude oil Engineering group? Are you talking about crude scheduling or trading? Anyhow the company in general is good and promotes within. Average age I believe is like low 30's. Bistro has TV's, free coffee, capachino, smoothies, popcorn, nacho and cheese, pop and juice, and a vending machine for snacks. Loung is probably what you think, and a lot of groups use it friday evenings to chill out and there is a big screen tv with a karoke system that I don't think has ever even been broke in yet. IMO it's a good company overall with great benefits. No gym in the near future, it was mentioned before and a few rumours went a round but I don't forsee it happening anytime soon.

2.2vtec
04-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Not familiar with the engineering side but take it from someone who used to work there for a long time the corporate culture is by far the worst in the industry.

Dot be fooled by all the "bonuses" and perks cause when you factor in your overtime (which is expected not appreciated) you end up making much less. I know lots of people there now not happy in their roles but stay cause the pay is good. These people are in accounting and trading/scheduling and again not sure if engineering is as bad.

fajita123
04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
There are/were separate job postings for project engineers with two different engineering groups: crude oil and LPG.

Thanks for the heads up 2.2vtec, from the other thread on Plains (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=217375) the hectic schedule seemed typical of accounting in a midstream company?

I was informed you could start any time between 7 and 9am, work your 8 hrs (have to take an hr lunch) and take off. Seems pretty good from the outside, but a lot of uncompensated overtime isn't cool either.

Thanks for the info guys.