PDA

View Full Version : Jade China Inn

max_boost
04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
How the hell do these guys stay in business. I know there are a few Beyonders living in McKenzie Towne so have you guys been here?

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1434240/restaurant/Southeast/Jade-China-Inn-Calgary

They charge for water. They automatically add tip. If you don't like their food, it's non-refundable. Menu is also way overpriced.

3 meats fried rice and pork noodle soup comes out to $33. :eek: :rofl: No wonder my Mac Towne customers are super nice to me when they order lol if they are use to dealing with these mofo's.

ga16i
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
haha, I know what you mean! Went there once just to try and had a close to $40 bill for 2 dishes. That's highway robbery for Chinese food! I'm Chinese and was expecting pretty hohum fried rice and noodles, but man some of that stuff is just grim.

The automatically adding tip part pisses me off too especially when the "service" is pretty lacking. When I went, I was the only table there. It took forever to get my bill, the phones weren't ringing off the hook or anything, the lady was just sitting at a table almost next to us cutting the next batch of receipt papers while ignoring us.

Peking Express in Douglasdale is WAY better for Chinese food in the deep SouthEast.

sputnik
04-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I lived in the area for several years and never ate there once.

tobypaddock
04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
they give huge discounts for pick up - i think thats what they mainly focus on. food has always been pretty decent when i've ordered. but i cant speak on the service as i have never dined-in there.

pf0sh0
04-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

Peking Express in Douglasdale is WAY better for Chinese food in the deep SouthEast.

never been to the place in mac towne, but the peking express in doug glen is good

Jeremiah
04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Deerfoot North to 24th to 18th st to Peking Peking. - Case solved.

88CRX
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I've ordered takeout a couple times.... it's not that good and extremely expensive.

Sorath
04-04-2011, 12:40 AM
peking peking is the best! i miss it, havent been there since i moved to the north :(

n1zm0
04-04-2011, 11:39 AM
imo i am extremely skeptical about any chinese restaurant with the word 'INN' in their name.

*ahem* homefoodinn :barf:

Pihsiak
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
My brother moved to McKenzie Towne a few years ago, we went around looking for good asian places.

Their Menu is like a slot machine. It's the same stuff just in different combinations.

3 different meats with 3 different sauses and Yes/No to Cashews or baby corn.

Just Terrible....

HuMz
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah I refuse to order from this place, along with being overpriced and not very good the portions are small. Think I'm gonna have to start making the drive up to Max boosts restaurant.

duaner
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Deerfoot North to 24th to 18th st to Peking Peking. - Case solved.

Originally posted by Sorath
peking peking is the best!
:drool: Good to know. My company just moved in across the street. We overlook the back door of that place. I'll let you know if anything fishy is going on there. lol

00sir2
04-05-2011, 02:47 AM
The Food is terrible at Jade China... I've lived in Mckenzie towne for a long time and have gone there maybe 3 times. Everything is over priced and gross, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

sputnik
04-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by duaner

:drool: Good to know. My company just moved in across the street. We overlook the back door of that place. I'll let you know if anything fishy is going on there. lol

I hear the owners son does some contract work for the humane society.

:D

nonofyobiz
04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I've stayed clear of the place because of negative comments, but I've ordered from that Chili Island twice (late night drunk orders) and both times it was pretty horrible. I won't order again.

However, my wife and her family (they are Chinese) oddly enough seem to really like their lunch buffet. They are some picky ppl regarding restaurants! so figure that one out.

but ya def won't be going to jade china inn. Especially if they are auto charging tip. that is complete bullshit

taemo
04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
out of curiosity but can you refuse paying the tip?

duaner
04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Was over at someone's place last night and we ordered from Jade Inn. $64 for 5 dishes. No free dishes thrown in like many places when you pay $X. Won't order from there again.

On a side note, I have not eaten at Peking Peking yet since someone I know who has eaten there said it's loaded with MSG. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case?

max_boost
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
We use very little MSG in our food. Items like Chicken Balls/Lemon Chicken/Deep Fried Shrimp/Ginger Beef/Sweet and Sour Pork don't even have MSG! If you request no MSG, we won't put any in.

BTW, $64 would get you 7-8 dishes at Peking Peking. And Yes we deliver all the way to Auburn Bay.

duaner
04-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
We use very little MSG in our food. Items like Chicken Balls/Lemon Chicken/Deep Fried Shrimp/Ginger Beef/Sweet and Sour Pork don't even have MSG! If you request no MSG, we won't put any in.
That's what I like to hear. :thumbsup:

BTW, $64 would get you 7-8 dishes at Peking Peking. And Yes we deliver all the way to Auburn Bay.

I know. :cry: Between the three of us, which included my light eating wife, that would have been as insane amount to get through, but I would have tried. lol Well, at least the savings would have been there with only 5 dishes. Although, I don't know if that included the mandatory tip mentioned above. And we were only in Douglasdale.

Either way, there were leftovers and I got a gut ache from boxing on the Kinect after I ate. Don't eat and box. lol

HuMz
04-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Thats awesome, off hand what's the delivery charge to come to auburn bay?

max_boost
04-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Over $30 we will deliver free to Auburn Bay! :eek: But the wait time is a bit longer given the distance, how busy we are, traffic etc. (usually around 1 hour wait) but we have no problems making the drive. :thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
04-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Over $30 we will deliver free to Auburn Bay! :eek: But the wait time is a bit longer given the distance, how busy we are, traffic etc. (usually around 1 hour wait) but we have no problems making the drive. :thumbsup:

I tried getting delivery from Peking Peking once on a 1 person order, but the owner forced me to make a $20 order min. but without delievery charges tho.

max_boost
04-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I tried getting delivery from Peking Peking once on a 1 person order, but the owner forced me to make a $20 order min. but without delievery charges tho.

Minimum order rules apply. It's nothing personal, just business.

On your $10 order I will charge you $10 delivery. So you pay delivery or you order another item. Fair. LOL

:rofl:

pf0sh0
04-18-2011, 01:10 AM
peking peking is the shit. :drool:

max_boost
04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
peking peking is the shit. :drool: haha cool. Glad it doesn't give you the shits.

jokes lol

e36bmw///
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
nm

calgary403
04-18-2011, 12:20 PM

I will vouch for his restaurant.

HUGE portions!!

theken
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
max...jade has good pork. i would rather come down and see you though ;)

Phat_Tercel_YO!
04-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Funny, I haven't been on this forum in ages.

I was, however, in the mood for Chinese tonight, and if I ever order from Jade China, I always end up disappointed.
So I googled "Jade China Inn is horrible" and saw this thread right near the top.

I guess I'll soon find out how good Peking Peking is.
Hopefully it's a good alternative for those of us stuck way in the south.

InRich
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM

Hey max I'll order from ya sometime, support your business and all, I'll even say its for enrich. better not spit in it though. discount for beyonders? next time I'm craving chinese food I'll give you a call. phone number?

The Winger
04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
The food here really is horrible, and the service is beyond belief! I have eaten here twice over the past few years and really should have learned my lesson but a couple of weeks ago ordered 3 dishes, rice, shanghai noodles and kung pao chicken and went and picked them up. When I got home my wife took a bite of the chicken and said there was something wrong with it, so I tried it and it was disgusting, chicken texture was like rubber and it tasted off. So I phoned and asked them to prepare me a new dish and I would come back and exchange it, and I was told they wouldn't give me a new dish or refund my money. This ended up in a big fight and in the end I gave up. How does this place stay in business?

Normally I order from the place in Douglasglen, or Lake Bonavista Peking house, both of which I think are excellent.

max_boost
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
This thread wasn't meant to promote my restaurant lol I don't want to violate advertising rules but I was just seriously curious about this place. Everyone I've asked tells me the same thing, they just have a "I don't give a fuck attitude" lol

rage2
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
This thread wasn't meant to promote my restaurant lol I don't want to violate advertising rules but I was just seriously curious about this place. Everyone I've asked tells me the same thing, they just have a "I don't give a fuck attitude" lol
I'll let it slip once if you buy and personally deliver lunch for us beyonders here downtown next week in the NSX... :rofl:

Xtrema
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I'll let it slip once if you buy and personally deliver lunch for us beyonders here downtown next week in the NSX... :rofl:

Where do I sign up for this? :rofl:

R-Audi
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Does the NSX have enough room??

max_boost
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
The trunk actually has enough space to probably fit up to 10bags of food plus there's the passenger side. LOL :rofl: :facepalm:

Xtrema
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
The trunk actually has enough space to probably fit up to 10bags of food plus there's the passenger side. LOL :rofl: :facepalm:

You can probably fill a few more bags between the engine cover and rear window.

cloud7
05-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

The automatically adding tip part pisses me off too especially when the "service" is pretty lacking.

I bet the restaurant took the advice of one of the Urbanspoon reviews, after the reviewer didn't pay tips.

A790
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by cloud7

I bet the restaurant took the advice of one of the Urbanspoon reviews, after the reviewer didn't pay tips.
HA! I read that review and was thinking the exact same thing.

clem24
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You can probably fill a few more bags between the engine cover and rear window.

With the added bonus of keeping the food nice and warm! Make sure to VTEC it all the way for maximum hotness.

tictactoe2004
05-26-2011, 07:31 PM
So I live in Auburn Bay and have pretty much only ever ordered from Jade China Inn since we don't have as many options for delivery... after reading this thread I thought I'd give Peking Peking a try.

Even though they are considerably further away they were able to deliver the food to my house faster than Jade China Inn has ever done. :clap:

When I pulled the containers out of the bag at first I thought they looked a little smaller but they were all totally jammed with food, probably 25-30% bigger portion sizes than Jade for far less money. :clap:

Lastly, the food itself was fantastic and we'll be ordering again for sure, after seeing the difference in price and size of portions I think it's pretty safe to say we'll never order from Jade Chini Inn again. :clap:

Honestly, if you add up the difference in portion size, price and free delivery it probably works out to be somewhere between 30-40% less money for the same amount of food.

Jeremiah
05-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Sam (max_boost) is fam, him and his dad, always take care of me.

Courteous service, Good prices, delicious food - very rare for an asian restaurant, quite refreshing.

Anyone in Mckenzie, take Deerfoot to 24ST, Left on 18th ST and it's in the back of the riverbend shopping centre (you'll turn right into it)

Davetronz
05-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Definitely time to try Peking Peking, maybe even for lunch today. So excited to see Egg Rolls on their menu. I haven't had those here in > 10 years.

I refuse to eat at Jade China Inn after a few disgusting, over-priced, under-filling takeout meals.

I tried Chili Island on 130th, and while it was much better than Jade China Inn, it wasn't "great", so its time to try something new.

max_boost
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the positive reviews.

Just remember this:

Originally posted by Jade China Inn
Tastes based on personal preference, may not suitable to everyone.

heavyD
05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
You guys have it so much better in the south when it comes to eating. NW blows when it comes to restaurants.

clem24
05-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
You guys have it so much better in the south when it comes to eating. NW blows when it comes to restaurants.

Are you talking about good Chinese restaurants? If so, Edgemont actually has 1 excellent and 1 very decent restaurant: Bobby Chao's (one of the best and most authentic in Calgary) and Shanghai Dynasty (I think that's what it's called, it's in the strip mall by Superstore).

88CRX
05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Might have to give you a try Sam..... you deliver to Copperfield?

max_boost
05-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes delivery to Copperfield no problem.

HuMz
05-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
So I live in Auburn Bay and have pretty much only ever ordered from Jade China Inn since we don't have as many options for delivery... after reading this thread I thought I'd give Peking Peking a try.

Even though they are considerably further away they were able to deliver the food to my house faster than Jade China Inn has ever done. :clap:

When I pulled the containers out of the bag at first I thought they looked a little smaller but they were all totally jammed with food, probably 25-30% bigger portion sizes than Jade for far less money. :clap:

Lastly, the food itself was fantastic and we'll be ordering again for sure, after seeing the difference in price and size of portions I think it's pretty safe to say we'll never order from Jade Chini Inn again. :clap:

Honestly, if you add up the difference in portion size, price and free delivery it probably works out to be somewhere between 30-40% less money for the same amount of food.

I'm in the same boat. I make the drive or call for delivery from auburn bay every time I order Chinese food. Nothing else in south matches price, quality, and quantity. I used to live in evergreen and for the price of standard beef dishes at brothers, I can get seafood at Peking with a lot more food. And jade China isn't even an option anymore.

4doorj
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I've lived in the area for six years. I went to jade when I first moved here. Soooo gross, and super expensive. I'm surprised after the first time some of you guys went back. I'll never step in there again. I have no idea how they are in business.

I love peking peking! I go there all the time! I go there with my co-workers, family, sometimes bymyself haha.
Maxboost always takes care of me:thumbsup:
I love the food so much that they usually cater my special occasions. When ever I go to a potluck I never cook just order from peking peking. Wings and salt and pepper squid :love:
But sadly my wife is pregnant and is never in the mood for chinese food so I don't get to go as much:(

FraserB
05-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Had Peking Peking about a month or so back. SOOOOOO good:drool:

Have to get back sometime.

nonofyobiz
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I think there is the Pavilion in Citadel, and also Peking Garden by market mall....both very good places.
Wife is chinese and her parents are pretty picky (we can't take them ANYWHERE new lol). They really like those two. I think the north is way better for chinese.

heavyD
05-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Are you talking about good Chinese restaurants? If so, Edgemont actually has 1 excellent and 1 very decent restaurant: Bobby Chao's (one of the best and most authentic in Calgary) and Shanghai Dynasty (I think that's what it's called, it's in the strip mall by Superstore).

They are both good but not great. As of late any chinese food we order is from Bobby Chao's because it's probably the best I've found in the immediate area. I do find that opinions vary more with Asian food than any other. What some people call garbage others call the best, etc.

SilverGS
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
What about delivery to Signal Hill? Same distance as Auburn Bay and Just down Glenmore :)

cloud7
05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
IMO, the north has by far more selection of authentic Chinese restaurants and dare I say better quality. That's simply due to the population of Chinese people up north.

I have worked in Chinese restaurants in the past when I was growing up and I can truly say that authentic Chinese restaurants do not automatically make them more successful/profitable. That's why you see so many non-authentic Chinese restaurants that cater specifically to non-Chinese.

Do u deliver to Race City? LOL;)

max_boost
05-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Tastes definitely vary.

There's Western style Chinese food which caters to the Caucasian folks and then there's Hong Kong style which is more broader and where all the good stuff is IMO. That's probably what most would consider as authentic Chinese food.

Anyway we are a small time operation so can't offer City wide delivery but you are more than welcome to come for pick up. :D

SilverGS
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Tastes definitely vary.

There's Western style Chinese food which caters to the Caucasian folks and then there's Hong Kong style which is more broader and where all the good stuff is IMO. That's probably what most would consider as authentic Chinese food.

Anyway we are a small time operation so can't offer City wide delivery but you are more than welcome to come for pick up. :D

both are 18km from you... no love :(

dirtsniffer
05-30-2011, 05:00 PM
sarcee is such a cluster fuck, sometimes it would take me an hour to get from 17th to bow trail. does peking peking have a lunch buffet?

max_boost
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

both are 18km from you... no love :(

haha I understand that my friend but like I said we are small time here so we have to stay within certain areas. However, depending on timing, size of order etc. I have been able to cater to Beyonders, living in areas we normally don't deliver to so it is possible lol

Clever
05-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Do you deliver to Shawnessy or Evergreen?

max_boost
05-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes we have a lunch buffet Monday to Saturday 11am to 2pm.

Yes we have occasionally delivered to Shawnessy/Evergreen but it's not an area we frequent often so wait times could be a lot longer depending on how busy it is.

schocker
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Lets say I am a gwailo looking for palace chicken, salt and pepper squid and sizzling rice. Are these items part of the dinner buffet?

SilverGS
05-30-2011, 11:00 PM

haha I understand that my friend but like I said we are small time here so we have to stay within certain areas. However, depending on timing, size of order etc. I have been able to cater to Beyonders, living in areas we normally don't deliver to so it is possible lol

Heh heh no worries. Had to give it a try :).

I rarely order chinese takeout these days but I'll definitely keep you in mind when I do. Hmmmm maybe a lunch run.

Cheers

ga16i
10-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Good news! Jade China Inn is kaput. Golden National is now in. Went there last night and it's much improved. Chatted with the owner for a little bit (they initiated this with everyone) and the story is that they've been running a Chinese restaurant in High River for something like 20+ years. So far the oil is clean and plenty of seasoning on the dishes. Pricing is much better than Jade China Inn as well. You can smell the Asian walking near High Street now haha. Not sure if that's good or bad in the long run.

A790
10-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Just a reminder that peking peking is EFFING DELICIOUS. Mmm...