PDA

View Full Version : Competing

MaYzE
09-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Anyone here put there car is audio shows? Im thinking about it if I do my custom trunk <wont be for a while>. What kind of stuff do they judge? I know db count is one thing. Anything on setup or clairity? Just figured Id ask.

P.S. Has anyone here won any competitions? And if so what did you win?

ninspeed
09-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Last year i particpated in several ISACA Events. They will look at everything from wiring, clarity of the system, placment of equpment, alternator feedback noice, Power levels ect... Its a lot of fun, and you learn so much by going to these.. There is another org that is more canadain, but i found there judges and equpiment is not soo good, where as iacsa really takes the time to help you out. Contcat Dru at Audio Concepts Mobile and ask him when the next even is, you can allways go just to check it out

Madspinner
09-10-2002, 12:18 AM
There is a compontion thats tommorow sept.10 and 24 .usually every 2nd tuesday .

MaYzE
09-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Where at?

boi-alien
09-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by MaYzE
Where at?

yea where is it at?!

ManHunter
09-10-2002, 11:05 AM
I competed in IASCA in 2000. I finished in 5th place in the World Championships in Oklahoma City.

They check everything ninspeed mentioned, plus...

When you get to that level of competition, everything is in the details. Everybody in the finals has a great system. You absolutely need a photo book of your install. You need pictures of everything the judge can't see. Are the wires properly soldered? Is there any gaps between parts of the system, or between the system and the rest of the trunk? Are screws visible or not? (not visible is better, cleaner look). At the World Finals, they were checking if the crosses in the centre of the screws were aligned across all screws. Is there a theme carried throughout the vehicle (important)? Can you get to your fuses and replace any of them under 5 minutes? You get bonus points for originality, unique setups never seen before. I got bonus points for my 2 EQTs installed in the rear side windows. Cleanliness. Attention to details. the more custom stuff, the better. I had all my amps and all audio control hardware (EQTs, Epicenter, 4xs) chromed and resilkscreened in blue to match the theme of my car, and to make sure it would be unique.

MH

Madspinner
09-10-2002, 01:11 PM
yeah its at audio concepts .

Madspinner
09-10-2002, 01:11 PM
starts around 6pm

OMOYYC
09-17-2002, 02:10 AM
One of the biggest things about "beginner" audio systems is the focus on the rear speakers. Many of the world champion systems (at least when I was in car audio) did not even have any rear speakers (except for the subs)

Keep this in mind. What you are ultimately trying to do is to reproduce a high quality home audio system. Make sure it's home AUDIO system NOT a home THEATRE system. The closer you can reproduce the same sounds as a good home audio system, the better your car stereo system is.

Check for these things..

- Staging -
How high is your stage. Imagine there is a stage in front of you with a band playing. Is the stage near your feet, or is it on top of your dash board? Is the stage flat across the dash? Or is your stage a curve from your left foot to the middle of the dash to the right foot of the passenger? Your goal here is to achive a high and flat stage, just like in real life.

- Imaging and stereo separation
How focused is your vocals. Is the singer's voice focused in the middle? Can you tell the distinct location of each instrument as they are played, as if it was a live stage? ie. Trumpet to the mid right, sax to the left, singing to the middle, etc.

- Realism -
How real is the sound? Play a track with a piano, and play one with trumpet, and another with violin. If you close your eyes, do they sound real? How real do they sound?

- Clarity -
Play the same track at different volumes. Does the system sound the same way at all volumes? Does it miss anything at low volumes? Does the system distort at higher volumes?

These are just a few of the many ways to gauge your system.

Good luck!

OPGForce
09-25-2002, 03:09 AM
One of the biggest things about "beginner" audio systems is the focus on the rear speakers. Many of the world champion systems (at least when I was in car audio) did not even have any rear speakers (except for the subs)

when i bought my system, i did not buy any "rear speakers" due to the fact the it would effect my "sound staging". when you include rear speakers in the mix, the sound focuses more in the middle of the car. for competition reasons, ppl only use front speakers because the sound staging is judged from the driver/passenger part of the car, not the center or back seats. only draw back to this setup is when i drive with ppl in the back seat, all they hear is bass, but in the front seats, everything sounds good. :rofl:

Blue Devil
09-25-2002, 12:06 PM
:thumbsup: CWAVE that is some really good advice!

ninjak84
09-27-2002, 01:59 PM
whoa, thats crazy ManHunter!
congrats though, thats an accomplishment and a half

Thor
10-08-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by OPGForce

only draw back to this setup is when i drive with ppl in the back seat, all they hear is bass, but in the front seats, everything sounds good. :rofl:

bah... i paid my money... I'm driving... I wanna hear it... screw the people in the back... they can get their own system!!!

oh wait... I don't have a back seat :banghead: lousy regular cab truck...

gonna be a real pain in the *beep* getting a good soundstage out of the doors in a regular cab truck...

ah well... if Ken can do it... so can I :thumbsup: