PDA

View Full Version : Mobile freon recovery?

Zero102
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I am wondering if there is anybody out there who does mobile freon recovery, possibly for free?

I am in the process of parting out a car that has a fully charged R12 system in it but I want to remove the compressor and condenser to sell them later. I am trying to do the environmentally responsible thing and have the system evacuated before opening it, but so far people want around $100 to come and recover the freon which is too much. Does anybody on here know of a person or company who does this work for free, or for a small charge? I checked Kijiji and there are a couple appliance people on there but they make no indication of bringing the equipment out and doing the recovery at your place.

Zero102
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Nobody? :dunno:

Idratherbsidewayz
04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Dude, fuck the environment...

master hec0
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
store it in balloons?

Darell_n
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I would do it for free if the car was in Cochrane, but my time and fuel is too valuable to make a special trip into the city for nothing.

Zero102
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by master hec0
store it in balloons?
:rofl: :rofl:

Darell, you have a PM :)

In case Darell cannot come through for me and somebody else is curious, the car is located in Royal Oak, and although I work during the day I can arrange for somebody to be there at almost any time to provide access to the car.

g-m
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Seriously it was a 12mm wrench on both of my cars. The problem is refilling...

Maxt
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Have you tested it to make sure there is actually pressure in it?
Last week I climbed a 36 foot vertical ladder with my recovery machine in tow to an air conditioner to find out it was already flat after being told it was fully charged. :thumbsdow

Zero102
04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by g-m
Seriously it was a 12mm wrench on both of my cars. The problem is refilling...

Venting R12 to the atmosphere is something I am not willing to do. You can do whatever you like, I am doing this the right way. Refilling isn't a problem for me, I am pulling the parts off then scrapping the shell.

Regarding the question whether or not the system is charged, yes I have verified it is charged. I ran the A/C all the way home when I drove this car back to my place, it worked great :thumbsup:

None of the previous owners can recall having the system serviced in any way so I am pretty confident it has R12 in it, the fittings have not been adapted and they appear untouched for at least the last few years.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
They actually do sell a bag thats used to trap and recover as much as possible. But I've yet to see it anywhere but industrial HVAC stores. Also I don't know if they have automotive fittings.

Most shops wont recover R12 anymore because they lack the equipment. Sadly most owners just dump it to atmosphere due to the lack of options.

MonteCarloLS
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
OP Did you end up finding someone that could do this for free or a minimal charge? I'm in the process of removing the A/C from a project and i'm not interested in leaking it into the atmosphere any help would be appreciated

Zero102
05-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Darell was able to do it for a very reasonable price but not for free. I would suggest PM'ing him for further information :)

MonteCarloLS
05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Well Darell_n contacted me shortly after posting in this thread, and after a bit of discussion and helpful info it was apparent that my A/C system was no longer charged. He was extremely helpful and had a very reasonable fee although I didn't end up needing his services just his helpful advice.