PDA

View Full Version : insurance requires Structural safety Inspection????

master hec0
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
so my insurance agent just called me and I am being told that Aviva my insurance company is now Demanding a structural safety inspection because my car is RHD.
its a 89 nissan silvia. I want to know if they can actually require this or is it just some kind of bs ploy to avoid RHD cars.

I mean this vehicle passed all the inspections needed to be imported into this country in 03-04 why does it need this done. also i did give them a insurance inspection that said it passed.:banghead:

bart
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
if someone were insuring a hunk of junk with me i would require the same thing ;)

AE92_TreunoSC
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Most RHD's are absolute crap and I don't know how so many passed the OPI.

I don't blame them either.

Change companies if you don't like it.

master hec0
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks for the useless advice.

basically what im asking is do they have any legal grounds to deny me coverage based on a rhd bias.

because as far as I understand the standard insurance inspection is the only legal requirement.

Agent_Oorange
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
They are private companies they don't have to insure you if they don't feel like it.

Tik-Tok
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by master hec0

basically what im asking is do they have any legal grounds to deny me coverage based on a rhd bias.

because as far as I understand the standard insurance inspection is the only legal requirement.

Insurance inspection is not a legal requirement. Only OOP ones. Perhaps you should just get your car inspected, or find a different company that's more RHD friendly?

Even better, you should call the good Rev. Jesse Jackson, and bring these assholes to court on racism charges.

master hec0
04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
so basically insurance companies can make up any sorta bs reason if they dont want to insure a vehicle?

sr20s14zenki
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Yep, change companies, they obviously dont want to insure RHD. From what my wife tells me (insurance broker) they cant DENY you coverage, HOWEVER they can make it difficult to impossible for you to get it, its because they dont want RHD cars...period. I believe because of the "All comers rule" they cant DENY you basic liability. Could be wrong, thats what i get from it.

Speed_69
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
so basically insurance companies can make up any sorta bs reason if they dont want to insure a vehicle?

You can always insure your car through the facility market (Nordic Insurance). This is for people with bad driving records and all the other crap that other insurance companies don't want to insure. This market has to provide you third party liability insurance. You are going to love their rates :)

Tik-Tok
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Why don't you just get the inspection done? Is your car structurally unsound? You'll have to pay for another general safety inspection with a different company anyways if you switch...

master hec0
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I already paid for a insurance inspection a month ago i dont see why i need to incur more costs.

FraserB
04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I already paid for a insurance inspection a month ago i dont see why i need to incur more costs.

Because they want one. If you don't like it, get a new company. The amount you are resisting this it sounds like you have a real shitbox, so Im glad they are making you do this.

The dont have to make it easy to get insured.

Cos
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Insurance companies are under no legal obligation to give you anything more than PLPD (and that I am not even sure about).

master hec0
04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Insurance companies are under no legal obligation to give you anything more than PLPD (and that I am not even sure about).

thats all i want.... and im sure it would pass a structural inspection. i just dont want to pay for it if I dont have too.

89s1
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM

thats all i want.... and im sure it would pass a structural inspection. i just dont want to pay for it if I dont have too.

But you DO have to.

...unless you change companies.

I understand you're cheap but those are your options...

Xtrema
04-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Shop around then.

Find one that doesn't require inspection. It's pretty clear that Aviva doesn't want your business. Take it elsewhere. Be thankful that you are not in BC where you don't have a choice and ICBC deem RHD are 40% more likely to crash.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safety-research/righthand-drive.pdf

bignerd
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I was told that no company can deny you coverage as it is law you have to have insurance to drive a vehicle.

I ran into this with my motorcycle looking for insurance, lots of places don't want to insure a street bike but technically they cannot say no, so they would just quote you some insane price like $5300 a year for insurance. Obviously you will not go with them.... so yes they can make up whatever rules they want and just make it difficult so you go somewhere else.

I don't even know where you would take a car for a structural inspection. I am sure if you call around you can find an insurance companty that will not require this and just give them your business instead.

rage2
04-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
I was told that no company can deny you coverage as it is law you have to have insurance to drive a vehicle.

I ran into this with my motorcycle looking for insurance, lots of places don't want to insure a street bike but technically they cannot say no, so they would just quote you some insane price like $5300 a year for insurance. Obviously you will not go with them.... so yes they can make up whatever rules they want and just make it difficult so you go somewhere else.

I don't even know where you would take a car for a structural inspection. I am sure if you call around you can find an insurance companty that will not require this and just give them your business instead.
Technically, they're not saying no. They're asking him to do the inspection before they sell him insurance, something they are entitled to do.

As for the inspection, that would be the inspection done for getting salvage vehicles back on the road. It's a pretty extensive inspection.

G-ZUS
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Because they want one. If you don't like it, get a new company. The amount you are resisting this it sounds like you have a real shitbox, so Im glad they are making you do this.

The dont have to make it easy to get insured.

If it is in the same shape that Ranger he is/was selling is in, I'd bet it's a huge POS.

master hec0
04-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Im leaving the country in 9 days Any recommendations on where to go that is end friendly

master hec0
04-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Are you resisting because this car is in the same shape that Ranger you are/were selling is in?

No that Ranger was bought out of the jy and would not have passed a basic inspection. But structurally it was sound when I sold it.

FraserB
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
OP already has insurance on said car so Im not sure why this thread is relevant.

G-ZUS
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

No that Ranger was bought out of the jy and would not have passed a basic inspection. But structurally it was sound when I sold it.

Define "structurally sound". Does it include huge rust holes in the floor which are not repaired properly? Patched without clearing the rust properly

Jay911
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
so my insurance agent just called me and I am being told that Aviva my insurance company is now Demanding a structural safety inspection because my car is RHD.

I love how people on this site confuse "RHD" with "non-North American domestic market compliant import".

master hec0
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Define "structurally sound". Does it include huge rust holes in the floor which are not repaired properly? Patched without clearing the rust properly

this is irrelivant to my my question but whatever......

the work was done by a licensed welder and imo was satisfactory. also the holes were not as integral to the structure as say a uni body construction. either way I sold it I disclosed everything that it needed to the buyer and It was price very accordingly.

master hec0
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
OP already has insurance on said car so Im not sure why this thread is relevant.

because after getting a regular inspection done at insurance companys request they have been insuring me no problem for the last 2.5 months. this is just something new they decided to do as of yesterday.

either way im just going to take my business elsewhere.

:closed:

sputnik
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM

They can do whatever they want.

They are a private insurance company and if they don't want you as a customer, they aren't required to give you insurance.

Contrary to the beliefs of other RHD drivers... cheap auto insurance isn't a "human right".

badatusrnames
04-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Agent_Oorange
They are private companies they don't have to insure you if they don't feel like it.

Wrong. Insurance companies can't deny coverage. They can make the terms difficult though if they don't want your business.

As for calling RHD junk, I've seen some pretty shitty Canadian market cars that are falling apart and have been able to keep on the road for 20+ years without ever being required to pass any sort of inspection.

Masked Bandit
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
This is one of the oddest situations I've come across. I've never in my entire career had an insurance company ask for a Structural Inspection, never anything more than a generic safety inspection or an Out of Province inspection if the vehicle wasn't last registered in Alberta.

For those who aren't sure in Alberta no insurance company can deny you PLPD coverage unless you meet certain criteria and RHD isn't one of them:

- vehicle modifications
- too many tickets
- too many accidents
- money owing to other insurance companies
- lack of vehicle safety inspection if the car is over 12 years old.

Of course nothing says the insurance companies have to offer you any kind of payment plan either so they can demand full payment up front to try to get you to go away.

master hec0
04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
This is one of the oddest situations I've come across. I've never in my entire career had an insurance company ask for a Structural Inspection, never anything more than a generic safety inspection or an Out of Province inspection if the vehicle wasn't last registered in Alberta.

For those who aren't sure in Alberta no insurance company can deny you PLPD coverage unless you meet certain criteria and RHD isn't one of them:

- vehicle modifications
- too many tickets
- too many accidents

Of course nothing says the insurance companies have to offer you any kind of payment plan either so they can demand full payment up front to try to get you to go away.

so could I "fight this" mainly because they are significantly cheaper for my truck.

Cos
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM

so could I "fight this" mainly because they are significantly cheaper for my truck.

What arent you getting.... NO you cant fight this. They are not denying you coverage they are putting conditions on it.

They can flat out tell you to fuck off if you have one of the conditions MB listed above.

guessboi
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
^ +1...good post. can't say it any better myself. gotta pay to play for RHD vehicles.

BlackArcher101
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Cos

What arent you getting.... NO you cant fight this. They are not denying you coverage they are putting conditions on it.

They can flat out tell you to fuck off if you have one of the conditions MB listed above.

Exactly.

By the way OP, how do you even know this is because it's a RHD? Is that an assumption? Perhaps they are actually concerned about the structural integrity due to it's age?

master hec0
04-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Because they told be that was the reason. Simple as that. And I have found out they cannot do that and the alberta superintendent of insurance has started a case

master hec0
04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Because they told be that was the reason. Simple as that. And I have found out they cannot do that. This would be less of an issue if I wasn't leaving the country in q week

J-hop
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't understand what everyone is talking about, I believe last time I saw the basic safety inspection sheet (NOT OOP insp sheet) it included structural integrity. Could be wrong but I swear its on there.

Aren't safety inspections dirt cheap???

n1zm0
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

As for calling RHD junk, I've seen some pretty shitty Canadian market cars that are falling apart and have been able to keep on the road for 20+ years without ever being required to pass any sort of inspection.

:werd: specifically CDM S13s from experience, but i'm no RHD fanboy either...

Cos
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I don't understand what everyone is talking about, I believe last time I saw the basic safety inspection sheet (NOT OOP insp sheet) it included structural integrity. Could be wrong but I swear its on there.

Aren't safety inspections dirt cheap???

Maybe he sent the normal inspection into the company and the safety portion was either missed or didnt pass and they want a second one?

master hec0
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Maybe he sent the normal inspection into the company and the safety portion was either missed or didnt pass and they want a second one?

no everything passed the inspection. they do not want another safety inspection. that would be easy but what they want is basically a salvage vehicle inspection. but this vehicle is not salvage they want it for the sole reason that it is a RHD import. they have only given me 30 days to comply and im leaving the country in 8 days for a few weeks.

Masked Bandit
04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
So just delete the vehicle from the policy when you leave and put it back on when you get back to restart the 30 day process.

winson2001
04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

- vehicle modifications
- too many tickets
- too many accidents

[/B]

Does the insurance company have the rigths to define "
- vehicle modifications" in their own words?