PDA

View Full Version : S13 240sx Suspension Help...

mikey_p
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Go figure.... Sloppy 240sx suspension...

So here's my issue.. I have possible blown struts/shocks that are stock.. I want to replace them with either coilovers or a spring strut combo like eibach sportline and kyb g2's.. Havent decided yet.. Anyway.. my issue is also wheel hop and when i go over bumps the back end feels like its sliding out from underneath. It does not feel safe at all. My question is what would you do first.. Eventually i would like to do everything but both right now might not be affordable.. My goal is to get this thing going for summer..

Whats your opinion on s13 subframe collars?? and or bushing replacments.?? will that fix my issue? How can i test them??

I'm not going to be drifting so what suspension would work for a daily summer driver.. Not to harsh...?? I just want it lowered with ok spring rate and affordable..

sr20s14zenki
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I would go with a Tein HA or similar, i find that mine are very nice. You can usually find used sets for fairly cheap, around the 600$ range. Beware of leakers. you shouldnt be able to compress them easily, should take your full body weight to move them and it should be smoothe. The reason you are hopping, is because your struts have no rebound left in them, so they are doing whatever the springs do haha, had the same thing with my worn out crap. Collars are ok, but are very harsh, if anything i would change the bushing to maybe urethane or something. Check your sway bar end links and bushings as well, something could be fucked in there. Ball joints are a good thing to check on as well.

Hope that helped, good luck.

mikey_p
04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked any of the above. It's stock suspension so maybe its one of them. I know bushings would be better but I'm not 100% on dropping the subframe and burning / cutting the old ones.

mikey_p
04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
would a set of eibach sportlines and tokico blue's be ok?? i just want to replace my stock and sit lower.. I dont need anything crazy..

Abeo
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Depends on how much you pay for them. If you end up buying them new and locally, you'll probably pay the close to the same as a used coilover set (or, a new crappy coilover set (http://cgi.ebay.ca/89-94-Nissan-240SX-S13-GODSPEED-RS-Coilover-Damper-Kit-/370450522746?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564092627a#ht_2835wt_1139))

edit: Years ago, I paid $220 for good used agx's, and $50 for used intrax springs. My buddy paid $700 for tokico blues and eibach springs, and couldn't sell them for $400 after he was sick of them after a few months.

sr20s14zenki
04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Depends on how much you pay for them. If you end up buying them new and locally, you'll probably pay the close to the same as a used coilover set (or, a new crappy coilover set (http://cgi.ebay.ca/89-94-Nissan-240SX-S13-GODSPEED-RS-Coilover-Damper-Kit-/370450522746?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564092627a#ht_2835wt_1139))

edit: Years ago, I paid $220 for good used agx's, and $50 for used intrax springs. My buddy paid $700 for tokico blues and eibach springs, and couldn't sell them for $400 after he was sick of them after a few months.

QFT. Springs and struts just arent worth it IMO. You dont have to go crazy to have coilovers, all that bullshit people spout about how bad the ride is, is crap IMO, i cant ride in a car without them now haha.

Chantastic
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
My concern with coil overs was cost, and everyday usability in terms of ride height. Now, I'm not saying the ride will be crap with coils, it's just that the car is going to be pretty freakin low, and if it's a dd especially in the winter, I can imagine that being problematic, but manageable. It's just easier being higher up in the winter, simple as that. However, if you have no winter plans, I'd say go with coils, it just looks better and probably handles alot sharper.

I currently am running Eibach Sportlines and KYB GR2's. I know cookedrice had this same set up for a while as well, so you might wanna ask him for a second opinion. And to be honest, I really like them for DD, and I drive it in the winter too. It's just enough lowering to look respectable (not that hideous foot wide gap up front on stock springs, but lower would look better), and just high enough to never get stuck in winter, and never scrape anything, asides from my exhaust over really big speed bumps and my front left fender liner scrapes on dips, but it had to be modified to fit my side mount intercooler anyways.

They corner WAY flatter than stock, and feel almost exactly the same as the oem setup as far as regular driving goes, so in other words, they're comfy. However, if you're looking for the racers edge, this isn't it, I'd look at coils instead.

If you want pics or anything of the ride height on this setup, lemme know. Also, I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times before, but don't just replace the springs. I did that cause I was broke, and my left rear pretty much just died right away so I replaced all the oem struts with the KYB GR2's, and haven't had any issues.

sr20s14zenki
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Coilovers dont HAVE to be low, most people just slam them. Ive had them at almost stock height before...just need to get the right set. Some are made to slam, others are made with compromise.

lastlatvian
04-05-2011, 09:01 PM