PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on different helmets?

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm a beginner to bikes and already started the too cool school, I have a bike lined up along the lines of something I want to ride from a friend (84 honda magna v30). Kijiji seems like a great place to buy cheaper bike clothing like armor and jackets, but where does a guy go for a good quality fair priced helmet?

Looking on blackfoot motorsports site it is mind boggling how far the price varies depending on how fancy the helmet is. All I really need is a full face (with a jaw that slides up or not) for a good price without sacrificing quality and safety.

- What are the drawbacks of the cheaper full face (sub 200$) compared to the 300+ ones?
- Where is a good place to go to find what I am looking for?

The bike cost 1500, I don't need an 900 dollar helmet that has fans and bluetooth!

theken
04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I can sell you an icon helmet for 200. Has skulls and demons and shit on it, I never really wore it, I'm more into my arai helmet

Supa Dexta
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
A 150 dollar HJC will do you fine.. I've had some that are just as quiet and nice fitting as my arai's and stuff. I still rock a few HJCs from time to time.. But I've got like a dozen helmets kicking around now. :nut:

GQBalla
04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
higher end more expensive helmets tend to have more features.

sound deadening
how light the helmet is
memory foam
obviously brand name
dot and snell approved.

any helmet that is DOT approved will be fine.

just depends how picky you are.

some helmet are easier to say change visors etc

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I've heard its a bad idea to buy used helmets since they tend to fit one person - and you never know if its been dropped or not. A dropped helmet is pretty much garbage, no?

Dexta - where do you find a basic helmet like that brand new?

GQballa - Thanks for the info. From the sounds of it a helmet is like a bike in the sense that when you actually get more involved with riding it's something you will upgrade.

TYMSMNY
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
If you buy online, it'll be about $100 cheaper. Check out Bayside Performance out of Vancouver... free shipping on most of their helmets.

Make sure you buy brand new and not off someone on kijiji. You'll never know if they've dropped it or not.

Like GQ stated, make sure they have DOT or SNELL approval on them.

In my mind, I wouldn't cheap out and buy a $100 helmet or splurge on a $800 on your first helmet. There are MANY good ones in the $300 range.

Good luck and... welcome to riding.

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks again. 150-300 is my ideal budget, but how can I test fit a helmet from online? I was thinking of going to a store, trying in on and then ordering online but I would hate to waste the time of a local dealer just to buy it elsewhere.

Supa Dexta
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Most dealerships will have HJC.. Canadian tire used to, not sure if they still do.. Last HJC I bought was a snowmobile helmet, and I ordered it thru my buddy at honda.

Don't let people talk you into needing a 500, or 100 dollar helmet. They say a helmet is done when dropped, or if its over 5 yrs or so.. I've seen more people accidentally drop a helmet then I can count, they don't run right out for a new one.. Myself included.

A plain black HJC will do for years, best not to buy some crazy design to match a bike if you're not keeping it long..

TYMSMNY
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ihatetowait
Thanks again. 150-300 is my ideal budget, but how can I test fit a helmet from online? I was thinking of going to a store, trying in on and then ordering online but I would hate to waste the time of a local dealer just to buy it elsewhere.

Not really, just go into blackfoot and try one on. Do your research prior and just go in and try them on. Different brands could mean different sizes.

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I checked out the website. It seems they have HJC helmets ranging from 89$ and upward. They're all dot approved according to the website. Maybe I could test fit an HJC and then order it online. I don't much care what it looks like. Flat black is fine in my books.

They also have one of the types with the fold up chin for around 180, I think I would prefer that type so I can get some air to my face at stop lights and during slow riding.

Any advice for buying online? If I could get boots/jacket/helmet for under 300 I would be a happy camper.

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Not really, just go into blackfoot and try one on. Do your research prior and just go in and try them on. Different brands could mean different sizes.

Just from browsing websites and what I've heard it seems most other brands of helmet push into the 300-500 range. HJC might be my best bet until I decide to upgrade equipment in the future. Maybe I will go in with a list of helmets I like and try whatever they have on.

Supa Dexta
04-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Its 150 bux, try it on and buy it at a shop.

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Thats not bad at all.

What would the next step up in your opinion be?

Supa Dexta
04-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't know, I like HJC... If I were you, thats what I'd get, I've been riding for over 20 years and still use one sometimes..

Ihatetowait
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Im going to have to hit up a local dealer and try on some HJC modular style helmets.

Blackfoot? BowCycle? Where to go.....

TYMSMNY
04-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Im going to have to hit up a local dealer and try on some HJC modular style helmets.

Blackfoot? BowCycle? Where to go.....

Blackfoot has quite a few.

HJC CL-Max II Modular Full Face $150-170 online.
Suomy D20 Modular $325 online.

Ihatetowait
04-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I'll have to check out blackfoot before my road portion of the course starts. I'd love to have a comfortable and broken in helmet before I start.

What is everyones thought on pants? I'm definitely getting a jacket with armor but I'd like to be able to rock jeans if I plan on taking the bike anywhere that I plan to spend some time.

Draggin jeans?

Normal jeans?

Assless chaps? ( :rofl: :rofl: with no pants underneath. For people who ride my ass in traffic)

Supa Dexta
04-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Normal jeans 90% of the time for me.. Thicker ones though, not nut hugging skinny jeans..

I actually starting getting more squiddy the last couple of years around town, wearing shorts.. Which is weird because I never would have years ago.. :dunno:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/superbikes/73133d1280203011-beating-heat-squid.jpg

Ihatetowait
04-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Is that seriously a speedo??? :clap: :rofl: :rofl:

My luck I'd catch a bee right to the nipple and bail off.

GQBalla
04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
lol that pictures been around forever

i got a shoei RF-1000 when i started riding.

still use it, haven't dropped it ever.

fits me nice and i dont care it doesn't match my bike.

The helmets that always catch my eyes are crazy designs with colors that don't even match my bike with a yellow iridium lense.

that's just my style though.

kevie88
04-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Buy the best helmet you can afford, but make SURE it fits. Try on many helmets. I'll ONLY buy Arai or Shoei as they are the only helmets that fit my head. Sure they're expensive, but cheap helmets will kill your head in a few hours or less- imagine putting your head in a vise.

Plus I've seen enough crashes in my life to know that a good helmet is worth it's weight in gold.

dharminder
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
check out GW Cycle, they have a wide range of helmets. You should be able to get into a new helmet for around $250-$350 roughly. They usually have a larger selection of low/mid range helmets.

yamaha_rider777
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Do not cheep out on a Helmet, I have seen first hand what a cheeper helmet gives for protection and its not the best...but in saying that you do not need to spend 700-1200 on a lid. Try on helmets at your local dealers and see what fits you properly. I like Shoei myself, I have the RF1100 and it is quiet light and very comfortable. I did not get the crazy graphics, I went Matte Black.

Here are 2 sites that might work for you, Sportbiketrackgear has a closeout section that can get you some great buys on gear!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/index.php

civic_stylez
04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I run the Shoei RF1000 and i absolutely love it. Fits like a glove, its lighter than most helmets and looks great. I side with those that say dont cheap out. If you take a spill, you want the best. How much would you be willing to pay in a crash?

GOnSHO
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
im with alot of the other guys, i run a shoei RF1000 as well, i love it and fits great!!

dharminder
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
I run the Shoei RF1000 and i absolutely love it. Fits like a glove, its lighter than most helmets and looks great. I side with those that say dont cheap out. If you take a spill, you want the best. How much would you be willing to pay in a crash?

As mentioned above when you are paying nice chunk of change for a helmet your paying for name, features, and graphics/design. As long as its dot and snell approved and fits you will/should be fine if you crash.
I could be completly wrong but I for one started with a lower end helmet and worked my way up to a shoei

Just my two cents

Unknown303
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
RF1000 here and love it. Bought it on sale so it was definitely worth picking it up at the time I did.

BrknFngrs
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I also bought a cheap helmet to start with and I'm not sure I buy into the more expensive helmets being safer if a less expensive helmet is DOT/SNELL approved.

That being said, when I rode with a friends shoei it was noticeably more comfortable, lighter and quieter. These factors are why I'll be upgrading this season.

Colin_R6
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I bought my Scorpion Exo-1000 on Ebay for $280 a couple years ago. It was listed as NIB condition, and arrived as such.

The built in sun visor has saved my bacon a number of times, love that helmet! Fits me fairly well and is pretty quiet.

I had an Icon helmet, didn't fit quite as well and felt clunky, heavy and noisy. Might just have been my goofy shaped head though. :dunno:

turbotrip
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Go and buy a $100-150 hjc locally. I believe GW cycle has them in that range. Sure you could probably get the same helmet online for 75ish but I would never ship a helmet

Ihatetowait
04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
I tried on a variety of helmets today. The only brands that actually fit my head comfortably were HJC and scorpion. Both weigh slightly more then the helmets that are over 3 times the price, but I actually found the shoei and arie to be awkward around the ears.

Good thing I went and tried a bunch on. Learned a ton.

I also didn't look at any prices until I had tried it on for comfort. The 2 helmets I liked the most were under 200$ and one of them (the hjc cl-max II) was only 140 or so.

I'll probably go pick it up tomorrow as long as they have something other then gloss black.

TYMSMNY
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I tried on a variety of helmets today. The only brands that actually fit my head comfortably were HJC and scorpion. Both weigh slightly more then the helmets that are over 3 times the price, but I actually found the shoei and arie to be awkward around the ears.

Good thing I went and tried a bunch on. Learned a ton.

I also didn't look at any prices until I had tried it on for comfort. The 2 helmets I liked the most were under 200$ and one of them (the hjc cl-max II) was only 140 or so.

I'll probably go pick it up tomorrow as long as they have something other then gloss black.

Good stuff!

From a previous post, HJC CL-Max II Modular Full Face $150-170 online.

So $140 is perfect and hopefully it'll be in stock.

Ihatetowait
04-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Good stuff!

From a previous post, HJC CL-Max II Modular Full Face $150-170 online.

So $140 is perfect and hopefully it'll be in stock.

I hope so! I'll be going back to blackfoot for sure. The guy in the helmet section had a lot of information for a first time buyer.

CUG
04-06-2011, 04:02 AM
I cracked an extremely expensive Suomy in a pretty bad crash once. It saved my life. It was a $$$ helmet. Don't waste your money on the bare minimum. An accident can have so many fucked up dynamics to it that will definitely kill you if given the opportunity, so get the best engineering and R/D money can buy. It will be the difference between a concussion and a funeral.

I didn't crash until my 6th or 7th year of riding, and then I crashed a shitload.

Cos
04-06-2011, 07:07 AM
I have had a basic HJC, then got a Shark, then got a Shoei RF1000, now have a RF1100.

The Shoei is by far the best but the shark was alright. HJC was garbage and hurt my head.

yamaha_rider777
04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I had an HJC and I suffered a bad concussion when I crashed, I moved into higher end helmets after that. I am not saying this to be a dick or anything but take care of your head! I have seen a rider suffer brain damage and he now needs special help to do his day to day tasks. PLEASE do not risk your health and your life for a few dollers!!!!

03ozwhip
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
my opinion, dont buy by the brand or the price, buy by the fit. i bought an icon helmet without trying it on i thought it fit ok until i tried on arai, shoei and some other brands. icon has a SHITTY fit for my head based on what i tried on, shoei the best. just my .02

rony_espana
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I have had a basic HJC, then got a Shark, then got a Shoei RF1000, now have a RF1100.

The Shoei is by far the best but the shark was alright. HJC was garbage and hurt my head.

:werd:

I've also owned a few including HJC and Shoei RF1000 was the best for me. I'm not liking the RF1100 though, I think they made it more oval shaped that the 1000.

Go4Long
04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I've had Shoei RF1000, Arai RX7 and now rock an AGV GP-Tech.

I wrecked the shit outta the Shoei, and literally could have walked away from the crash (had I not been strapped to a back board by the paramedics), the arai fit as well as the Shoei, but was much louder and heavier, I just replaced it because I wanted to. The AGV is between the two in terms of noise, it's by far the lightest, it fits completely different than the others, the bottom of it comes in a lot more than the other two which gives it a very secure feel...I have large gauge ear piercings and I do find that it tries to take them out every time I take it off to the point that I gave up and just take them out when I ride now.

Ihatetowait
04-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Maybe I have a fat head, the shoei and arai felt like they were just mashing my head into a pulp even on the large size, when I was a medium on other brands.

Maybe just a different shape of head?

Go4Long
04-08-2011, 04:26 AM
every helmet fits differently, because you're a medium in one brand doesn't make you a medium in another...Suomy for example fits TINY.

I always cringe when I hear someone new to riding talks about how they're going to buy "helmet x" online and they've never tried it on. Each helmet fits a little differently in a lot of ways, not just in terms of it's total size, but in how it's shaped. Having the most expensive helmet on the market doesn't mean shit if it doesn't fit you correctly.