PDA

View Full Version : auto-update restart issue

CMW403
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Alright I just bought an ASUS N53 laptop from Memory Express, this morning I was just doing homework and the thing just starts closing programs and restarts. I believe it did this because there were windows updates, but I want it set so that I decide when to terminate all of my applications and restart. Any ideas?

I lost a 5 page paper and to top it all off apparently firefox 4 doesn't know how to save your tabs like the last one did, any ideas on that front? there has to be a way to set it to save tabs again.

Thanks guys

topmade
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
You can disable auto restart for automatic updates in Group Policy.
Go to Start > Run > type gpedit.msc and click OK. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update. Double click “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installation”. Select Enabled and click OK.

CMW403
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
theres no "run" option of of the start menu. It's windows 7 if that helps.

Also, I apologize. I am computer illiterate.

EDIT: OK I found the "run" option. I typed "gpedit.msc" and press ok and I got "Windows cannot find gpdit.msc. Please make sure you typed it correctly and try again."

adam c
04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
type it in the search box under the start menu

Mibz
04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I typed "gpedit.msc" and press ok and I got "Windows cannot find gpdit.msc. Please make sure you typed it correctly and try again."
I typed "gpedit.msc" ... I got "Windows cannot find gpdit.msc. Please make sure you typed it correctly and try again."
"gpedit.msc" ... "gpdit.msc. Please make sure you typed it correctly and try again."
gpedit.msc
gpdit.msc
"Please make sure you typed it correctly and try again."

In all seriousness I didn't think GP showed up unless you were on a domain and, if you aren't, you use "Local Security Policy" for stuff like this.

EDIT: NM, Windows Update stuff is only in GP, my bad.

jwslam
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
you can enable the run command
right click taskbar
properties
start menu tab
customize
run command

gpedit.msc also works from my search bar... i don't know why mibz can't find it...

CMW403
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

In all seriousness I didn't think GP showed up unless you were on a domain and, if you aren't, you use "Local Security Policy" for stuff like this.

EDIT: NM, Windows Update stuff is only in GP, my bad.

That was just a typo... I put copy and pasted exactly what he told me to into the "run" command and I got that error. I had to type out the error because you can't copy and paste from an error box.

topmade
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks like you are running W7 home which doesn't have gpedit. If that is the case change your windows update option to anything other then Automatic and you should get a restart prompt after any updates run.

OR DO THIS REGISTR HACK AT YOUR OWN RISK. It's the 5th post down.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/i-want-to-turn-off-the-automatic-restart-for/88191194-d3e7-428d-a2a5-89e427756ccc

And BTW these were like the first hit on Google.

Mibz
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

That was just a typo... I put copy and pasted exactly what he told me to into the "run" command and I got that error. I had to type out the error because you can't copy and paste from an error box. Heh, I figured as much, hence the attempt at actual help afterward. I just thought it was funny.

CMW403
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Looks like you are running W7 home which doesn't have gpedit. If that is the case change your windows update option to anything other then Automatic and you should get a restart prompt after any updates run.

And BTW these were like the first hit on Google.

I realize what I have to do is change my "windows update" settings to anything other than automatic, this whole thread is about HOW to get to to windows update settings in order to change them to anything other than automatic...

Originally posted by Mibz
Heh, I figured as much, hence the attempt at actual help afterward. I just thought it was funny.

Just thought I'd clarify, thank you though.

CMW403
04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
To clear things up:

All I want is for my computer to prompt me before it restarts after installing updates. How do I get to the settings in order to do this?!?

topmade
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry didn't realize that was what you were after. Go into your control panel and click Windows Udpate. If you do not see this option, on the top right hand corner there will be an option "View by". Change the setting to small icons and you should now see Windows updates that you can click. Now in the Windows update window on the left hand side there is an option to "Change Settings", then now you can change the option from Automatic to something else.

Kg810
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
this whole thread is about HOW to get to to windows update settings in order to change them to anything other than automatic...

This is going off my head so it may or may not be 100%, but it'll be enough for you to figure it out correctly.

Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update -> On the left hand panel click on "Settings" or "Change Settings" and then select and configure what you want it to do

I'll go home and confirm this if you aren't able to see these steps

CMW403
04-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Sorry didn't realize that was what you were after. Go into your control panel and click Windows Udpate. If you do not see this option, on the top right hand corner there will be an option "View by". Change the setting to small icons and you should now see Windows updates that you can click. Now in the Windows update window on the left hand side there is an option to "Change Settings", then now you can change the option from Automatic to something else.

Originally posted by Kg810

This is going off my head so it may or may not be 100%, but it'll be enough for you to figure it out correctly.

Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update -> On the left hand panel click on "Settings" or "Change Settings" and then select and configure what you want it to do

I'll go home and confirm this if you aren't able to see these steps

All fixed! - Thanks guys :thumbsup: