PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade (93 Mustang)

brucebanner
04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
It's been so long since I even looked at audio gear, hoping some of you guys can weigh in.

Not looking to do any big crazy stereo system, just something that sounds good and has a little "thump". I don't really want a sub, just some good speakers with good range. I kind of like the factory look with the tape deck and everything, so I was thinking about putting a hidden deck in or just pulling out the tape deck and putting a screen in.

So I'm looking for input as far as what brands to go after for headunit/screen and speakers.

Don't want to have a big budget maybe upwards of $2000 if I have to buy all new stuff, but I'd definitely look at getting used stuff as well. I'd rather keep cost low.

Thanks guys.

brucebanner
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Anybody have any input?

Had her out for a short drive today and it needs to be upgraded badly, luckily I love the exhaust note haha.

Graham_A_M
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I'll edit this thread later with some suggestions (on the iPhone now), but if you want any kind of "thump, you'll likely need a sub, even just an 8".

Tarrantula
04-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Alpine type R speakers will add enough bump you are probably looking for. decent pricing on them.

Shlade
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
2 grand on a sound system?

WTF supercharger fund.. bolt on fund.. what are you doing?

R!zz0
04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
2 grand on a sound system?

WTF supercharger fund.. bolt on fund.. what are you doing?

My thoughts exactly.

brucebanner
04-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I'd appreciate that Graham.

Guys as far as the go fast mods go. I've said in my other thread what my plans are this year, gears, headers and not to much else I don't think. I don't know what route I want to take the car yet, winter will be the time to decide what I want to do(331s/c 347n/a etc).

As far as the 2g budget. That on the very top of what I want to spend and it's only that high because I want a decent indash otherwise it would be half that for sure.

Shlade
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Im going to tell you this right now and hear me out..

Have you ever tried to break into a hatchback mustang? Its very easy.

If your wanting to spend 2grand on a system spend it on a good alarm system and anti theft device. Then go spend 1 grand or so on a deck and some speakers or whatever.

Graham_A_M
04-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Anyway, finally on an actual computer now.

For speakers, I'd recommend checking out Lanzar's Heritage line up. You can get them for a song and a dance on ebay, and they sound excellent for how very little they cost. A full set for your car will cost you about $100 shipped to your door. They compete very well against speakers costing several times as much. Lanzar sucks now as a company, as they've basically sold out, and now make shit on par with Pyramid or Legacy, but their speakers are still of excellent cost VS. performance. Any of their speakers are quite good, but I have a fair bit of testing with their Heritage's, and Im quite sure they still make them.
I'd also very highly recommend against Alpine speakers in general. Back in the mid-late 90's, they made some amazing stuff. The speakers were well balanced, with very crisp and detailed sound. Not too mention the bass response was surprisingly good for even just a 6" full range.
Now I find the Type S & R line ups have the most absolutely brutally brash and uncontrolled mid to high range I've ever seen in any aftermarket car audio speaker. You can always tell them from the rest, from the brash and non-linear output.
You'll notice the 2k and up to about 12k are very uncontrolled and metallic sounding. That is due to a combination of a poor crossover choice, and a poor individual driver pairing/selection.
Alpine speakers/subs are just to be avoided now... that Type S & R were the biggest blunder they've done in quite a few years, it amazes me people can look past the suck factor, just because its "good ole' Alpine" :nut:
(sorry for the rant, I just cringe when I see people recommend or god forbid; buy that overpriced shit)

For amps, if you're cool with buying used, I'd scour the local cash converters for finding a good amp.
Like I said: Alpine made phenomenal quality amps in the mid to late 90's. The transient overhead was huge, and so were the details & coloring.
Now you can get a decent 4x50 watt amp (or the like) for $50 or so, yet it would take a $600++ modern amp to match them in terms of sound quality.
Let me know what you find before you buy it. There are some WICKED deals to be had, but also a lot of shit out there. With amps its hit & miss. If you want incredible sound quality, I know of a Zapco AG350.2 for $400. Frankly it almost hard to find anything much better then Zapco for sound quality. Vintage PG is also just *fantastic* stuff, but goes for a pretty penny on Ebay.

I have a nice JVC deck Im not using, if you want it let me know, but its Ipod/USB ready, and plays MP3's. The face can change to an almost infinite amount of colors you choose, I dont have the model number ready, but if you want it let me know. Its actually quite a nice deck (have remote and original box), I paid $200 for it, and used it all of two months.

So for all the above, you'd be at $200-300 or so, and with a full system.
For that "bump" you're after, you can get a nice 8" that'll weigh nothing, and take up very little room.
Cool part is, most 200-300 watt RMS amps will cost you nothing used, and are quite easy to find. Let me know if you want help finding one, or finding a decent 8".
Here are a few good ones, that'll create quite the quake without costing a boat load of money
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-456
^ I'd get this one first

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-657

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-854
^but a very close second.

If you decide on one, let me know. I have subwoofer box modeling software on my computer, so I can design an absolutely perfect built-to-spec box for any sub you choose.

It all comes down to know how. I've been in car audio for 16 years now, since I was 12. For $700-$1k you can blow these $5k++ systems out of the water, with simple know how. Sure you can blow retarded amounts of money on these new fancy amps etc, but they are seriously not needed. If you would have seen some of my old stereo's, you'd know how far even $800 can take you, as I've beaten out a couple guys with $7k+ systems with mine that cost me as much. $2k is just crazy...
but like what was said, make sure you buy a nice alarm for it, as its not hard to break into a fox body.
But if you know what to look for, there is absolutely no reason you cant have a *bumpin* sound system for more then $700 in your case.
Like I say, let me know or PM me if you need any further help.