PDA

View Full Version : How to protect new 5 day old paint job?

maxwinedog
04-06-2011, 10:33 AM
On bumper, have whole new paint job on a new front bumper. I want to get 3M film but was told by the shop that i have to wait at least a month for the paint to finish curing to put anything on. And if i put it on now and something happens to the paint they wont warranty it.

So any other alternatives? Or is 3M the best way? No cheaper alternatives? Also how long does 3M last and can any of you recommend any places with reasonable price?

M.alex
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think there's any alternatives other than maybe taping it up with blue tape and removing it/reapplying it every few days?

The paint needs time to degass - you don't want to restrict it and possibly trap stuff while it's trying to do this.

HiTempguy1
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
If its a nice enough car/it matters that much, rent a car for a week or two or 4.

RecoilS14
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Take the bumper off for a month. :dunno:

other than renting a car, this is your only option i can see.
I wouldn't put the tape on, it could hurt the paint job.

tom_9109
04-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Shops send cars out with 3m almost immediately after paint all the time. Don't worry about it.

integra_xsi
04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
You can apply the 3m on it no problems. There is no reason to wait. We do it all the time at our work. Althou we had a customer who wanted the 3m redone, When it was removed it made an impression on the fresh paint. It had to be wet sanded and polished before the film was re applied.

DSM4LIFE
04-29-2011, 09:32 PM
3m it now, it will be fine. like stated earlier the paint needs to de-gas, which can cause bubbles, but that can be fixed.

483hp
04-30-2011, 08:50 PM
You need to wait a minimum of 30 days for the paint to cure. Follow that advice.

If you don't you risk the paint coming off with the film in places where the preparation was less then perfect when you remove the film.

Just drive carefully, keep your distance and drive roads with speeds under 80km/hr until you can install the film and you will be fine.

shakalaka
04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Get one of those leather bra's for your car for the time being. They are butt ugly but will do the job you want them to do.:dunno: