PDA

View Full Version : Sports Med Doctor Without A Referral

BrknFngrs
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good sports medicine doctor that I could see without requiring a referral from my family doctor?

My shoulder bothers me off and on when I work out and it's recently flared up again. I'm hoping to avoid having to get a referral from my family doctor as it generally takes months.

kcasement
04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I own a chiropractic and massage therapy clinic on the west side, and you can come here without a referral. Depending on what your issue is, its quite possible that our chiropractor and/or massage therapists can help you.

Our chiropractor has treated a variety of people with shoulder pain, using a technique called Active Release Technique. It's a very common muscle manipulation technique that can bring a lot of relief to people.

Recently we had an 89 y.o. lady here that couldn't move her arm up much past her shoulder, and after 3-4 ART treatments she was much better, and claimed should could start dancing again. Now, I don't know if you're a dancer :dunno: , but its possible one of our practitioners could help.

I'm hesitant to make my first few posts on here look like I'm promoting my business, b/c that isn't why I came on here (trying to give away a few parts I no longer need once they let me on the marketplace forum), but if you want the name of the clinic/practitioners you can let me know.

Cheers, Kevin

Darkane
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by kcasement
I own a chiropractic and massage therapy clinic on the west side, and you can come here without a referral. Depending on what your issue is, its quite possible that our chiropractor and/or massage therapists can help you.

Our chiropractor has treated a variety of people with shoulder pain, using a technique called Active Release Technique. It's a very common muscle manipulation technique that can bring a lot of relief to people.

Recently we had an 89 y.o. lady here that couldn't move her arm up much past her shoulder, and after 3-4 ART treatments she was much better, and claimed should could start dancing again. Now, I don't know if you're a dancer :dunno: , but its possible one of our practitioners could help.

I'm hesitant to make my first few posts on here look like I'm promoting my business, b/c that isn't why I came on here (trying to give away a few parts I no longer need once they let me on the marketplace forum), but if you want the name of the clinic/practitioners you can let me know.

Cheers, Kevin

You guys do ART? Can you PM me location and a # please?

rob the knob
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
just curious, do you own clinic and you are not a practitioner by training?

kcasement
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes, I own the clinic but not practitioner by training. I do have a science/medical research background by education. I was in the corporate world for 15 years, most recently as VP and then interim CEO for about a 30 person company that facilitated commercialization of new high tech inventions through licensing or new company creation. Finally had enough of working for someone else and decided to do my own thing, and this was the business I chose. I hire the practitioners as independent contractors and do all the sales, marketing, admin support, provide facilities for them so they can focus on treating clients.

Kevin

kcasement
04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Darkane, PM sent.

BrknFngrs
04-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the reply, if you could also PM me your details that would be great.

J-hop
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
No offense intended towards kevin but just make sure that your recovery focuses on methods other than chiro. Chiro can be a good starting point but taking my dad for example who has suffered shoulder problems. After a year of Chiro he saw very little improvement and he developed a dependence on the chiro. for relief of the pain. After giving up chiro. and going to a physio therapist he noticed drastic improvements after a year just through exercise techniques and stretching given to him to strengthen the muscles(although he had to live through the pain as the relief was not as immediate as the chiro)

It could be something as simple as a weak rotator and a sports med doctor can easily diagnose it and give you exercises/stretches to improve this.

It really bothers me knowing Chiros have so many repeat customers that stick with them for years, this is generally a good indication that whatever they are doing, isn't working. Again no offense intended towards Kevin, this is just my biased opinion

kcasement
04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi J-hop, no offense taken. Actually, I and our chiropractor would agree with your statements. One thing I've learned is that not all chiro's are the same. We too are dumbfounded by people that go to a chiro for years and never seem to get any relief from the actual cause of the pain, but rather just treat the symptoms, e.g. the pain. One this I've learned is that the newer school of thought and practice is not like the older school of thought.

Many of our clients come in, get treated for the cause of their pain, and sometimes after just a few treatments their issue is resolve and we don't see them again and that's a good thing. You won't find our chiro telling you on the first visit that you need to come in 10 more times without even knowing whether or not the treatment is having a positive effect. Most newer school chiro's these days also do much more than the traditional "back-cracking" that historically they have been known for. Most of our chiro's work is actually muscle and soft tissue based rather than spine related adjustments.

Anyway, our chiro takes a very different approach to chiro compared to the traditional chiropractic practice. Now that I've seen both styles, there is a big difference in my opinion. I'd never even been to a chiro before I bought the clinic but I personally have found some benefits from it (particular the ART).

As far as the OP, of course it all depends on what the shoulder injury is, as far as whether or not chiro or ART will help. Our chiro is not hesitant to refer out to physio or other treatment modalities if she feels that will be more successful in treating and rehabiliting the injury.

Cheers,
Kevin