PDA

View Full Version : 180SX saved my life

180drft
04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/101biker101_photo/car-1.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/101biker101_photo/photo.png

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/101biker101_photo/photefreo.png

This is what happens when a van runs a red light doing 65km/h. Happened at 9:30 AM saturday, I was heading to garage box to go hang out with paul for a bit. On Macleod North just crossing 9th avenue dowtown when he struck me. He pushed me from the middle of the intersection to the concrete steps on 9th and macleod north. Too bad for him there was 4 cops standing on that street corner watching a Protest. Im ok though, got out of the car without a bruise.... I saw a flash of the van in my left eye and clenched every muscle as hard as I could, thank god I didn't shit myself lol. Not bad for no airbags and a racing steering wheel. Well this is extremely sad given the time and money invested into the car but im lucky to be alive so I really can't complain.

They pulled the passenger door out a little bit to get my hand out, my hand was stuck between the passenger door and the console. If I was driving a 240sx i would be dead...

JDM saved my Life!

WTB: car... :(

More pics soon....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Shit man, that sucks.

e31
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Holy Shit! JDM very well could have made the difference there!

PS: With the damage to your car I think it now looks like my least favorite Porsche model. Does anyone else see a 928 in there?

180drft
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I just signed the Total loss Form so your least favorite porsche model will be a tin cube soon :( Too bad I couldnt buy it back.

Abeo
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Yikes... that was incredibly lucky. No whiplash or soreness? I hope the cops nailed the other driver with what he deserves.

180drft
04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Well he didn't report the accident or even submit a claim to his insurance for a few days... So im hoping he was in trouble.

jdmsource
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Ouch! Glad you are ok dude

94_S14
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
+1 for JDM's proving the contrary to the public.

I had also spoken with a sergeant a few years ago, and the topic of RHD came up. So i had to ask his opinion about safety and he said, in his opinion, often people die in left hand accidents or head on collisions during passing on the highway because the drivers collide on their drivers sides.

He said statistically shown the drivers will pass away but their passengers will survive. And since driving a RHD puts you on the passenger side, your chances of survival are higher! Who would have thought.

Regardless ^^ topic that has been discussed more than anything on this planet.

Happy your okay man! Guess those plans of having a MK4 or newer version may come true soon enough :P

Kloubek
04-06-2011, 03:58 PM
That's a pretty serious crash. Glad you're ok!

blackpeople
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow thats nuts man. When you said you were in an accident i had no clue it was that bad. Glad to see you are ok. Man sorry about your car though.

ercchry
04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
that looks a lot like when some old lady hit me... my car did a 180, she drove her old boat of a sedan right on through the intersection... just kept going after she hit me, super awesome reflexes in that 80 year old!

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/657/4601/14142300030_large.jpg

[Yu]
04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey Dustin?? Glad to see you kicking around still!

I think you know who this is ;)

180drft
04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys, i'll be just fine :) Yea It was a wierd feeling when I got hit lol. Uncotrollable roller coaster?

MK4 eh?... hmmm

89s1
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear you're alright.

Cooked Rice
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Considering the 80s engineering and technology it's quite amazing seeing and hearing about all the accidents S13s get in and how often the occupants walk away. Couple years ago one smoked a light post on memorial, the whole front end forward of the firewall came detached from the car, and supposedly everyone in the car walked away. Glad to hear you are ok.

n1zm0
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
yeah i remember installing speakers on one of my s13s and thinking, man is this door ever useless in an accident, good that youre ok tho!

Gibson
04-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I often thought about this when I still had my Skyline, about whether or not if I got into an accident my position in the car would decide whether I would walk away or not.

The scarier part was when I started thinking about whether somebody in the car with me who I cared about would have survived if I had a LHD car.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear you're OK and I hope everything works out.

nissanguy
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
gotta love jdm in that scenario

Tram Common
04-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Glad to hear your ok man, not to rain on your parade, but I doubt you would have died had you been in a 240SX.

Definitely a lot worse for wear... but likely not dead.

Jetta-2.0
04-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Glad to hear your ok man, not to rain on your parade, but I doubt you would have died had you been in a 240SX.

i dont know what pic you are looking at, but look at the pic again if he was on the left hand driving he would of been fucked up all his left side of his body will be crushed if he doesnt die from the crash he sure will from the pain... just saying lol

OP glad your ok :thumbsup:

davesparky6
04-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

The guys hand was stuck between the passenger door and the console.... If there was someone in that seat, they'd be fucked.

chkolny541
04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
wow glad to see you walked away from that one!

but honestly it doesnt matter JDM or USDM, you have a 50/50 shot and what side you could get hit from, sometimes your lucky, sometimes not, here OP was VEERRRYY lucky sitting on the right side

ExtremeSi
04-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Good to hear man that looks like a nasty accident

Tram Common
04-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6

The guys hand was stuck between the passenger door and the console.... If there was someone in that seat, they'd be fucked.

Sure, but his torso would have likely simply been shifted into the center of the car.

Come on, I mean, I'm admitting he'd have been much more worse for wear... but saying he'd be "dead for sure" is a stretch.

The human body is capable of enduring some horrible things.

180drft
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
added more pics. had to copy and paste from the iphone cause I lost the originals. the door was literally touching the center console before they pulled it out a little to get my hand out. Looks a little cramped lol.

I agree that I probably wouldn't have died but the paramedics said I would have been dead of I was sitting on the Left side. So I dunno. It is what it is.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Kind of a side question, but isn't it bad to clench your muscles during a crash? Is that not the reason drunk drivers often survive crashes and their passengers don't? (drunks are relaxed during the crash).

Also I agree with Tram above, you'd be surprised what can happen. 3 of my friends were in an older Ford Explorer (read: incredibly unsafe vehicle). An old lady T-boned them, sending them into a pole afterwards. The front passenger seat was pushed through the dashboard. My friend in the passenger seat crawled out of a hole near the engine with only some scratches on his foot. Zero other injuries. The paramedics saw him stand up, took one look at where he was sitting, and rushed to get him on a spine board and into the ambulance but he was 100% fine. The driver got it the worst, and now has a rod in his leg but it otherwise fine. The rear passenger had some damage done to his knee, but was otherwise fine. The vehicle was not recognizable as a Ford Explorer after the crash, I wish I had a picture for you guys. All emergency personnel said they had absolutely no clue how any of them survived at all, but their injuries were very minor. Not to downplay what happened, but I also highly doubt you'd be dead if you were sitting on the other side. Glad you're OK.

J-hop
04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
wow glad to see you walked away from that one!

but honestly it doesnt matter JDM or USDM, you have a 50/50 shot and what side you could get hit from, sometimes your lucky, sometimes not, here OP was VEERRRYY lucky sitting on the right side

^this, I do not believe this is a case proving that jdm saves lives :facepalm: . I think its the fact that he was on the right hand side of THAT particular car. I could be wrong but I don't even think for its time the 240/180 was high on the safety rating list.

Very glad the OP is ok, could have turned out much worse.

180drft
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, it could have been alot worse....