PDA

View Full Version : Jaw pain???

ekguy
04-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Well for the last week I've had pretty intense jaw pain. To the point where opening my mouth to take a bite of food hurts.

No wisdom teeth left...Ear infection maybe???

stealth141
04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I had that too after I got in a fight with 3 dudes... It was sore just to chew stuff. Just take some t3's and it will go away.

Shouldn't be an ear infection, as I have one right now and my jaws fine.

ekguy
04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
yeah dunno. I don't fight. So it's not that hehe. It's been hurting for quite a while.

Muji
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Could be almost anything, I had an ear infection once that really hurt my jaw/ear area. I think you would know if it was an ear infection if you have had one before. A fiend of mine had a cancer situation which was in the early stages (fine now), his jaw was bothering him. Get to a doctor or dentist, chewing is kinda important unless you are looking to drop a few kilos before the beach season hits. Really, get to a clinic.

ekguy
04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I've never had an ear infection. But yeah im going to give it a couple days more. If it's still the same I'll go to the clinic.

Any other thing it could be? Any other advice?

I can still eat fine btw, just hurts a hell of a lot for the first few bites. Other than that dunno what to think. I barely ever get sick, infections or otherwise...

G-ZUS
04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Do you grind ur teeth when you sleep? I had a teeth gridning problem which made my jaw hurt like a bitch. Whenever id take a bite or even laugh it would hurt.

lint
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
tmj syndrome?

ekguy
04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Do you grind ur teeth when you sleep? I had a teeth gridning problem which made my jaw hurt like a bitch. Whenever id take a bite or even laugh it would hurt.

how much pain can this cause? I've been catching myself with a clenched jaw pretty often lately while awake. So I had considered this a possibility at some point.

How would one figure out if they are doing this during sleep?

J-hop
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
yea I was going to say, grinding teeth.

Also have you had orthodontic work done? have you ever considered it.

my mom used to get severe headaches and jaw pain, ended up being a combination of grinding her teeth in her sleep and poor tooth alignment so she now wears a small mouth guard for sleeping and is having ortho work done.

shadowz
04-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I grind my teeth, makes my jaw click, puts a lot of tension on my jaw and even my neck/shoulders. Recently I took a hockey stick to the face, and my jaw/one ear have been really sore.

arian_ma
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Probably from all that MDMA.
:D

G-ZUS
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

how much pain can this cause? I've been catching myself with a clenched jaw pretty often lately while awake. So I had considered this a possibility at some point.

How would one figure out if they are doing this during sleep?

My dentist told me when I went in for a cleaning. After I started wearing a $20 mouthguard from shoppers, no more pain!

89coupe
04-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I know a girl who developed a stone in her salivary gland, caused extreme pain in her jaw.

mr2mike
04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

My dentist told me when I went in for a cleaning. After I started wearing a $20 mouthguard from shoppers, no more pain!

So those mouthguards at shoppers work well? I've been debating one since my dentist told me I had to get a night guard.

Kloubek
04-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Stop sucking dick?

;)

shadowz
04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

So those mouthguards at shoppers work well? I've been debating one since my dentist told me I had to get a night guard.

Not the same, Im on my third night guard, the positioning they have your jaw in will help relax your jaw, also the material is much more solid than what you can buy off the shelf. Should help with sleeping also

ekguy
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Honestly I think i must be grinding my teeth during sleep. Can't think of anything else.

Gonna go talk to a doctor.

At least I have questions I can ask at the doctor's office now.

Skyline_Addict
04-07-2011, 03:16 PM
could be a number of things. a sinus infection can cause extreme pain in the jaw/upper teeth. I've had this problem before.

403Gemini
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Stop sucking dick?

;)

I'm disappointed it took so long for somebody to say it ;)

ekguy
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I'm disappointed it took so long for somebody to say it ;)

Honestly same here hehe.

But yeah I'm thinking grinding my teeth or sinus infection.

arian_ma
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
With a sinus infection, your upper teeth would hurt more-so than your jaw....at least with my experience. I say go to the dentist. They'll do a quick xray of your skull and see if there's any infection in your sinuses.

ekguy
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
With a sinus infection, your upper teeth would hurt more-so than your jaw....at least with my experience. I say go to the dentist. They'll do a quick xray of your skull and see if there's any infection in your sinuses.

yeah but how much does a "quick xray" cost without dental benefits...Or any benefits for that matter...

top_speed
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

Honestly same here hehe.

But yeah I'm thinking grinding my teeth or sinus infection.

when i used to grind my teeths, my ear would hurt like a bitch in the morning.

kcasement
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Grinding one's teeth at night is very common, and often a response to stress. A lot of people even do it during the day, subconsciously. I do both. It can cause a lot of pain, particularly in the jaw but is also the cause of many headaches b/c the muscles that move the jaw are attached to various places on the skull. If those muscles are constantly tensioned (e.g. when you are clenching your jaw), they will begin to ache if they don't have the opportunity to relax.

Another poster also mentioned TMJ, and that is also fairly common - usually diagnosed by a dentist I believe.

Night guards can help, but mainly they help prevent you from destroying your teeth from the regular clenching/grinding. They don't really help treat the cause of the clenching (e.g. the tensioned muscles).

Now I'm not expert, but I do have a bit of knowledge due to my own experience but also because about a year ago a bought a chiropractic and massage therapy clinic. I've learned lots from the practitioners here, and both our chiropractor as well as one of our massage therapists regularly treat these types of conditions. Our massage therapist does intra-oral therapy (e.g. get's her gloves on and works on the muscles inside the mouth) as well works on the muscles on the head, neck, etc. . The chiropractor works externally on the face, and neck muscles using a few different techniques.

So, I'm not trying to advertise, but if you want the name of the clinic/practitioners I'd be happy to pass it on. I mainly signed up to try to give away a few auto parts but I guess I have to wait 30 days to even post in the marketplace so until then I thought I'd browse the forum and ran across this sub-forum, so thought I'd lend what knowledge I have.

Cheers,
Kevin