PDA

View Full Version : korean bbq - mac hall is really good, and how do you do this at home?

Guillermo
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
so i actually had my first korean bbq today... i know, isn't that outrageous? anyhow, i got the spicy chicken at the place in mac hall, and MAN is that shit great!

I don't know what the seasoning is, but it's fucking awesome. do any of you guys know how I can make this flavor on my BBQ at home?

Jeremiah
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Hmm..

Soy Sauce
Garlic
Sesame Seeds
Pepper
Red Chili Flakes
Sugar
Ginger
Green Onions...

Or thats at least how I marinade my Korean Beef...

Sound about the same?

Guillermo
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
^^LOL, i'd have to think about that whilst eating it! so is the meat typically marinated then? (i know i could google this, but some people on here might know and i would trust that more than some random page on the internet)

Jeremiah
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm fairly certain - from years of watching my mom cooking it, and then cooking it myself, that anytime you're making Korean BBQ, it is marinaded at least 24 hours prior to consuming.

Now that being said, I have personally never made the chicken myself, so this recipe may not be the same.

I have always done equal parts Soy Sauce to Sugar and everything else as preference....

Good luck, let me know how it goes if you decide to use that recipe.

Guillermo
04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
^^awesome dude, it's suppossed to be warmish on sunday so i'm gonna try what you said. i'll let you know how it turns out! (i'll try and do a bit of internet reading between now and then, too).

the chicken was really flat, is it usually pounded out first?

Modelexis
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
You should eat dinner at the Bow Bulgogi House here in calgary,

fucking awesome food, the meat is like candy.

if you look up recipes for Bulgogi you will likely find what you're looking for.

Jeremiah
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm sure they filet the breasts and pound em flat!

Post pics!

Guillermo
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
You should eat dinner at the Bow Bulgogi House here in calgary,

fucking awesome food, the meat is like candy.

if you look up recipes for Bulgogi you will likely find what you're looking for.

ok so i just wikipedia-ed "bulgogi" and it's pretty much what jeremiah said. thanks guys. for some reason, I always thought bulgogi was noodles :nut: those pictures on wiki got me drooling and i just ate dinner LOL

Modelexis
04-07-2011, 09:19 PM
:thumbsup:

TYMSMNY
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Secret ingredient = Pepsi/Coke, actually 7up works better.

Jeremiah
04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
UGH - So after all this talk last night I decided to get to marinating!

http://img215.imageshack.us/i/imagevbb.jpg

holden
04-08-2011, 03:17 PM
ywKXvUBKjg4

Pacman
04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I had to visit a customer at the UofC yesterday and ate lunch there. The spicy beef was fantastic. I wasn't fond of the sweet potatoes or vegetables. Next time, I'll just get the beef and rice.

JRSC00LUDE
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
It will only ever be Korean "style" BBQ if you're not Korean....

Guillermo
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
OK, since i've only had korean bbq once in my entire life (lol), i don't really have any idea wtf i'm doing. i googled "korean bbq spicy chicken" and got the recipe below. does that look ok to you guys who know more about this? is there a particular brand of korean soy sauce that would give it a good flavour?

* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup water
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
* 4 teaspoons hot chile paste (optional)

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan over high heat, whisk together the sugar, soy sauce, water, onion powder, and ground ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Remove the mixture from heat, cool, and whisk in lemon juice and hot chile paste. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours before preparing chicken as desired.

Jeremiah
04-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't get why they add water!??

Guillermo
04-09-2011, 08:46 AM
what could i add instead of water? i read above and on wikipedia that lots of people use soda. should i replace the water with soda? (clearly, i have no idea wtf i'm doing LOL)

Jeremiah
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I guess? I dunno why you need either to
Be honest

Guillermo
04-09-2011, 10:37 AM
maybe it would get too salty with soy sauce??? i guess i'll just try something and see what happens LOL

TheRealTimHorton
04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the water is just for a medium to combine everything? They say bring it to a boil and simmer to reduce it, so the flavors will be concentrated after mixing it together.

This is just my guess.. It's like boiling some coke to get the syrup

Guillermo
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
OK, so based on the comments here and the place i got the recipe, I decided to go with the following:

1 cup sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water (this is a compromise between the original recipe and the comments in this thread, but after making it I think it's not necessary)
1 bunch green onions (like maybe 6 or 7 individuals)
6 garlic cloves
1 hunk of fresh ginger, peeled (i'd say maybe like 4 Tbsp in volume)
4-5 tsp chile sauce (huy fong chile garlic “cock sauce”)
1 Tbsp sesame oil

basically, I threw all but the last 2 ingredients into a food processor and pureed the hell out of it. Then, I dumped it into a pan and simmered for 5 minutes. It's not cooling, after which I'll add the cock sauce and sesame oil.

I tasted it (no chile or sesame oil yet), and THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE TASTED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. This is the PERFECT balance of salty and sweet, and it's so fucking good I just want to pick up the whole pot and chug the fucker...

I'm going to pound out 2 chicken breasts and marinate them for about 24 hours in this stuff. I can't wait! :drool: This should make enough marinade for 4 chicken breasts, so i'm going to freeze 2 additional breasts in the marinade in foodsaver bags... and then next time I want this, i just have to defrost the package for a day and i'm ready to roll!

thanks to everyone for their comments in this thread - especially Jeremiah! i'll post some pics of the finished product.

msommers
04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
1 cup sugar?! No wonder it tastes so good :rofl:

Guillermo
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
^^LOL I know! but it's jsut a marinade, so luckily we won't be eating most of that.

some people on the site where i got the original recipe add cornstarch to the extra, and make a dipping sauce with it. :drool:

Jeremiah
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah cornstarch is a great thickening agent for soy/sugar based sauces

Guillermo
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
well it turned out pretty good. i forgot to take pics, though. :( the only thing is that it reminded me more of teriyaki than the spicy chicken I had at Mac Hall. it was too sweet, so next time I will use less sugar (probably about half).

HiSpec
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
the soda is to break down the meat so it is more tender.

Jeremiah
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Sprite
1 Onion Sliced
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Salt

Marinate your Meat in that for 24 Hours after tenderizing!

It's Delicious!!!!

Low Sodium Soy for the Sodium conscience
and Sprite Zero for the Carb Conscience..

When you're cooking with Soy Sauce you know its going to have a ton of sodium though :rofl:

cdnsir
04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I use this at home, can be found at most asian supermarkets. You'll have to add your own hot sauce if you wanna make it spicy tho.

http://www.sempio.com/eng/upload/Product/big%5C090605_bgg_b.jpg

secol
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I use this at home, can be found at most asian supermarkets. You'll have to add your own hot sauce if you wanna make it spicy tho.

http://www.sempio.com/eng/upload/Product/big%5C090605_bgg_b.jpg
yeah that's the shit man.......they have spicy versions available too

nagooro
05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
anyone know what there seasoned rice is seasoned with?

Guillermo
05-30-2011, 09:25 AM
MSG probably.

Pahnda
05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo
MSG probably.

:drool: