PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Questions

Z_Fan
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Suppose a guy wants to rip out electrical to do a reno.

Here's the problem.

A major wall that is going to be removed contains several switches, as well as wiring for outlets, cable, CAT5e, etc. When the wall is removed, some of the plugs that are in this wall contain the first outlet on the breaker...and the next outlet and all the other things on that circuit are in walls that aren't being removed. Presenting the problem of can you join up two wires with some kind of certified connector that can be in the roof, or in a wall, etc but is not actually an outlet.

Basically 2 pieces of fourteen-two somehow tied together because now the original run piece will not be long enough after the outlet is removed...and the run back to the main breaker box is not going to be accessible.

Thoughts on that?

Also, similar idea - only now the LAST outlet is in a wall being removed. But the previous outlet is in a wall that is not being removed. I'm certain I don't want to just leave it open, lol, so if I unplug that from the outlet and stuff it up through the junction box - in essence abandoning it, is that OK ... because I have no way to remove the wire without destroying what would otherwise be good walls.

I'm trying to minimize how much shit I have to rip out...

HuMz
04-07-2011, 09:23 PM
The first question is impossible to answer without fully seeing how the room is layed out. But by code you would have to re-route the circuit and make a splice in a CSA approved enclosure that is accessible. In regards to the last question, disconnect and remove wires from previous box andstuff in the wall so that there's no chance of the dead wire being re-energized.

As well a permit should be pulled for ripping out existing wiring.

Z_Fan
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I know I need a permit and will get one. It's a basement, but I got a permit when I developed it and so I'll get another one to make the changes - if I decide to do this.

I'm just trying to establish a plan, cost it out, etc.

HuMz
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Are you able to post a picture of the wall your ripping out showing the ceiling and the other wall that it intersects with. Pretty much the only way myself or anyone else could give you a concrete answer and work involved.

Z_Fan
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to find the plans. But while the plans show the locations of stuff (I assume) - they don't show where I actually ran the wires.

I will be able to figure it out mostly by memory once I have a good look at it...

I'm going to find the plans, and then try to draw on where shit more than likely goes. Etc. Etc. And figure out from there. But I know I will have some problems that won't be easy or cheap to resolve...

Thus the questions about connecting wires and/or abandoning shit in the walls.

Alterac
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Connecting wires can only be done in a junction box, (or a switch box, plug box whatever) and if you use a seperate juntion box, it cannot be covered up, it has to be accessable.

Z_Fan
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Alterac
Connecting wires can only be done in a junction box, (or a switch box, plug box whatever) and if you use a seperate juntion box, it cannot be covered up, it has to be accessable.

OK, so I can have a junction box, in the wall or ceiling, that has wires in and out, connected by marrettes (sp?) and as long as that box isn't drywalled over, I'm OK. But it can have a plastic, screwed on face plate like normal outlets, only no hole in it.

I got it, yeah?

HuMz
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

OK, so I can have a junction box, in the wall or ceiling, that has wires in and out, connected by marrettes (sp?) and as long as that box isn't drywalled over, I'm OK. But it can have a plastic, screwed on face plate like normal outlets, only no hole in it.

I got it, yeah?

Pretty much yeah, you can buy decorative blank covers for a standard 4 x 4 box. Keep in mind when splicing the copper wires that after your marrettes are on and twisted, you should be able to hang off of them... just to give you an idea of how well they should be twisted on.

How do you plan on cutting the box in though, is the ceiling already drywalled??

HuMz
04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Also make sure you buy a box that has either nmd 90 knockouts or pick up approved connectors.

Z_Fan
04-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, the ceiling is going to have to come out. And pretty much a lot more of the ceiling is going to have to come out than one might expect just by looking at it. But the room with the main electrical box in it is in a bedroom, where I built a nice box & door for it. But I don't want to have to rip out that area at all.

It's gonna be a real bitch to do this economically.