PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running a boosted IS300?

jjjheimer
01-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Just like the title says. Curious to know where the install was done, which setup, costs,etc - the standard stuff you're willing to share. I've always loved the IS300 and curious about the performance after-market.

Cheers, Chad

rage2
01-13-2004, 11:55 PM
1avatar was talking about supercharging or turboing his. This was about 6 months ago when I talked to him, not sure if he's done yet.

silverEL
01-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2
1avatar was talking about supercharging or turboing his. This was about 6 months ago when I talked to him, not sure if he's done yet.
oh boy
You'll SEE

:drool: :drool:

jjjheimer
01-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Let's hear from the man himself. Are you out there 1avatar?

1Avatar
01-14-2004, 12:08 AM
yep it's going turbo, but I need to finish my phsyical rehab and start driving again before I finish up the project (yes Altezza - you heard it - project, not plans anymore :) )

Can't reveal too much right now, but hte investment cost when all is said and done in motor work (parts & labour) will probably push the 15k mark (CDN) and suspension work will be done on top of that so I'm going to be a poor man by the end of spring. Target final safe horsepower will be in the 350rwhp range with potential for doing 400ish safely (if I don't want to keep my tires for long)

I'll start posting updates and what not within the next month or so and set up a mini site so you can see the pending disaster that's coming :)

jjjheimer
01-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the disclosure. Are there many in Calgary? How does an IS300 with this much power compare, in your opinion, to the M3 (E346) or V-8 S4? Will you say which turbo you installed, or is that giving too much away?

1Avatar
01-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by jjjheimer
Thanks for the disclosure. Are there many in Calgary? How does an IS300 with this much power compare, in your opinion, to the M3 (E346) or V-8 S4? Will you say which turbo you installed, or is that giving too much away?

As far as I know, the only unit in calgary is the RCTS Twin Turbo GTE converted IS300. I know Altezza and I have been toying with the boost dreams for a while now and it's only been in the last few months that I've gotten organized enough to start acquiring all the parts for it.

The system in my car is Turbonetics based although not quite a kit. My holdup right now is negotiating with a few parties on part sourcing as well as saving up for the pending labour charge.

I love the E46 M3 and it's a wonderful engine. I personally think as a drivers car, the M3 is more hardcore than even a boosted IS with high hosrsepower numbers. My boosted IS project is more of a "I'm only going to do this once in my life" approach and for me it's to have fun on the track when I go for a lapping day and to be comfortable enough on the street and highway to drive around and not have to worry about lack of passing power.

I like Audi S4 as well and my uncle recently got one, but as a personal preference, I'm not a fan of big displacement engines such as the V8 in it. Great car, but a little too heavy for my tastes. I'm more famialiar with technical data as opposed to driving experience with the S4 so I'm going to say based on that, I'd choose the M3. I would have bought an M3 as well over the IS, but I needed the practicality of a 4 door.

rage2
01-14-2004, 02:42 PM
How does an IS300 with this much power compare, in your opinion, to the M3 (E346) or V-8 S4? Will you say which turbo you installed, or is that giving too much away?
The power to weight ratio for a boosted IS300 will be significantly higher than the E46 M3 or the V8 S4. On the streets, I'd prefer the IS300 turbo over a E46 M3.

I've never driven a E46 M3 at the track, but I have driven several E36 M3's. BMW's track handling is awesome, very very well balanced. Never driven an IS300 at the track, so I can't make a good call on what would be nicer.

1Avatar
01-14-2004, 02:52 PM

The power to weight ratio for a boosted IS300 will be significantly higher than the E46 M3 or the V8 S4. On the streets, I'd prefer the IS300 turbo over a E46 M3.

I've never driven a E46 M3 at the track, but I have driven several E36 M3's. BMW's track handling is awesome, very very well balanced. Never driven an IS300 at the track, so I can't make a good call on what would be nicer.

My car is a pig :) You can run it next time - center of gravity is high, but front/back balance is good so it's stable, but it takes extra effort to get it to run smooth.

I'm hoping I get healthy soon and start driving again - I miss the IS and I don't want a shock of boosting it and not having driven since October.

Seanith
01-14-2004, 03:05 PM

Its pretty much the same engine as a MkIV supra.. so that block can definitely take alot of power.

rage2
01-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
Its pretty much the same engine as a MkIV supra.. so that block can definitely take alot of power.
If I remember right, there's a lot of differences between the 2JZ-GE and the Supra 2JZ-GTE. Which is why a lot of people drop int he Supra motor as a swap instead of converting the existing motor.

Seanith
01-14-2004, 03:27 PM
aren't the internals pretty much the major difference in a supra motor? obviously it is built to handle boost and would have a lower compression ratio..

Altezza
01-14-2004, 05:37 PM

An IS300 with a basic turbo kit w/fmic will put out anywhere from 300-340rwhp. That's without lowered compression and running up to 9psi - enough to overtake stock e46 M3s and S4. Most people with these kits seem to be running low 13s, even in the automatics. As far as I know, there is only one boosted IS300 in Calgary, as 1Avatar pointed out - RCTS. There will soon be more ;)

If I remember right, there's a lot of differences between the 2JZ-GE and the Supra 2JZ-GTE. Which is why a lot of people drop int he Supra motor as a swap instead of converting the existing motor.

The major and most important difference between the NA and TT versions of the 2JZ are the forged internals of the GTE engine. The GE can hold up to 400rwhp on stock internals, however. People with giant horsepower dreams usually do the swap. Unfortunately, a 2JZ-GTE swap isn't as easy as most think. True, its bolts in relatively easy, but the electronics are a mother bitch. A lot of people (myself probably inclusive) will use a GTE shortblock with the stock GE head once they start itching for more boost. The 2JZ engine is fairly robust and bullet proof. Only if the 5-speed manual was stronger in the IS300...that's the weakpoint when it comes to boosting this car. One IS300 owner is running over 500rwhp and 550rwtq on the stock tranny but that's definitely not the norm.

Altezza
01-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 1Avatar
yep it's going turbo, but I need to finish my phsyical rehab and start driving again before I finish up the project (yes Altezza - you heard it - project, not plans anymore :) )

That's good...you can be the guinea pig, LOL. Don't worry...you always have to scope out the competition before releasing your own details, hehe. JK JK

1Avatar
01-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

That's good...you can be the guinea pig, LOL. Don't worry...you always have to scope out the competition before releasing your own details, hehe. JK JK

Haha - you on board and wanna be a co-pig in this one? We can see how well Al reacts to "is that under warranty?"

Ya the tranny thing is bothering me cause it's going to have to be done at some point down the road regardless of a GTE swap or work with the current block. And it comes down to, I'm just to cheap to pony everything up in one shot cause that money can go to actual useful things in life like settling down (good god I can't believe I just said that)

I want GTE, but I'm too cheap :) at least by boosting the stock motor, I can talk myself into GTE as a replacement when I have 6 pistons shoot through the hood and my shifter catches fire when I make my Safeway run.

That.Guy.S30
01-14-2004, 08:12 PM
has anyone heard from trd and the kit they are making for this car? what are the numbers

Altezza
01-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
has anyone heard from trd and the kit they are making for this car? what are the numbers

TRD dropped R&D for their supercharger. Don't know what other kit you may be referring to.

That.Guy.S30
01-14-2004, 08:56 PM
hmm^^ thats probably the one

jjjheimer
01-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info guys. Sounds like quite the project. I was hoping to hear there was a few more and than one of two on the road. Any ideas what the future of the IS300 holds? I think its unfortunate that Lexus doesn't want to play with the big boys in this market. Could you imagine the TT supra engine in its last iteration as a factory option? Maybe all-wheel drive....

1Avatar
01-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Interesting, thanks for the info guys. Sounds like quite the project. I was hoping to hear there was a few more and than one of two on the road. Any ideas what the future of the IS300 holds? I think its unfortunate that Lexus doesn't want to play with the big boys in this market. Could you imagine the TT supra engine in its last iteration as a factory option? Maybe all-wheel drive....

Japan gets AWD option on the Altezza - they also get the option of the 4cylinder 3S-GTE turbo option that started the Altezza name in sports. We just get screwed. There are a lot of Turbo IS300s - just not in Calgary :)

Rumor pretty much confirms that the next generation IS300, scheduled for 2005. Will come in with a 3.3L V6 currently seeing work in the new Solara and Sienna mini-van - hopefully output is higher than their 230hp and maybe twin turbo, but it is toyota and their conservatism is leaving them behind the enthusiast curve.

jjjheimer
01-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 1Avatar

... but it is toyota and their conservatism is leaving them behind the enthusiast curve.

Talk about it - I'd say anti-enthusiast :rolleyes:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/15/car.selfpark.ap/index.html