PDA

View Full Version : $5K for 200mph?

Xtrema
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.worldclassdriving.com/events/200mph

Anyone tried this?

Graham_A_M
04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Dude, just buy a bike, then you can do 200mph when ever the hell you want. You can find a ninja zx12r, a busa for around $5k right there. Getting to 200 mph in around 10-12 seconds is half the fun :)

Cool part is, it's dirt cheap to own and insure!

That being said, I've done quite close to 200 on my triumph, and paying $5k just to do that in a Ferrari, in a desert; fuck that :nut:
Maybe I'm cheap, but $1k-$1500 sounds about fair to me

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I'll let you drive 200mph in my car for HALF the price. PM me. :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't know if I would spend $5000 on that.

JRSC00LUDE
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
paying $5k just to do that in a Ferrari, in a desert; fuck that :nut:

No kidding hey? Reminds me of the Nascar goofs who where shocked I would rather watch my buddies drive a few boring controlled laps for 600 bucks than pay that much myself.

Them - "Don't you want to go 160 MPH????" in their incredulous tone of voice

Me - "Uhhh....I can do that in my own car for free, baring a speeding ticket, is a staight line really ANY more boring than ones with left turns at the end?" in my flat unimpressed response.

The dismayed looks on their faces were worth six hundred bucks right there lol, they honestly thought I was insane for not drooling at the chance.

bjstare
04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Dude, just buy a bike, then you can do 200mph when ever the hell you want. You can find a ninja zx12r, a busa for around $5k right there. Getting to 200 mph in around 10-12 seconds is half the fun :)

That being said, I've done quite close to 200 on my triumph, and paying $5k just to do that in a Ferrari, in a desert; fuck that :nut:

:werd:

The only thing I'm not sure about... were you able to break 170mph on your triumph? I haven't heard of a 600 that can actually do this. (The speedo will tell you that you are going faster, but they start to lie after about 240kph) :/

Graham_A_M
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
^173/285kph with the current gearing. That's all it has, no more revs or power beyond that. Although you may be right about the speedo inaccuracy. :dunno:

More if I were to mod it probably, but that's fast enough for almost any track or road to me at least lol
340kph is a little much :rofl:

How about you?

962 kid
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'll let you drive 200mph in my car for HALF the price. PM me. :)

In the 944? not a chance

m10-power
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

In the 944? not a chance

you beat me to it, i lol'd

Almost as funny as the 10-12 sec on ANY sport bike, let alone the 200mph or for $5k

Cos
04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I was gonna say my bike would only hit about 125 mph in 10-12 seconds

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

In the 944? not a chance

I never said it would be safe. You pay for the discount.

chkolny541
04-08-2011, 07:48 PM

:dunno: :dunno:

chkolny541
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM

lol. 200 mph in 12 seconds, WHATT!???!

and "quite close" to 200 isnt 173. Thats far, quite far in fact

^173/285kph with the current gearing. That's all it has, no more revs or power beyond that.

beyond_ban
04-08-2011, 07:54 PM
lol @ people thinking they can hit 200. Power isn't everything, some of you may have heard of aerodynamics before?

chkolny541
04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
i worked with this guy who hit 191 mph on his bike last year on deerfoot at like 6 am on saturday, he said it was terrifying, all his bikes panels were rattling like crazy haha

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
lol @ people thinking they can hit 200. Power isn't everything, some of you may have heard of aerodynamics before?

Wow.. you're normally not so ignorant. *Expense* isn't everything.

You do know they did wind tunnel testing and everything in the 80's too right?

Ferarri F430: 480hp. .33 drag co. 3200lbs. 200mph
A 944 with over 500hp. .33 drag co. 2900lbs. _______

Plus if I recall correctly (Aaron can verify if this is right), but it beat a 430 on the track down the straights.

Now, I'm not going to claim my car would be stable at such speeds... nor mechanically safe. But I see no reason why I couldn't achieve at least 200mph.... not that I'd ever be foolish enough to try.

beyond_ban
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Okay, so technically your car should hit 200. Barely. Now go do it on an open road/track in Alberta and then get back to me :)

I am impressed with the drag coefficient or .33 though... I just guessed it would have been significantly less based on year and shape.

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Truth be known, the aerodynamics surprised me too when I looked them up. :)

And no, I'll pass on the top speed test. I'd rather watch spectacular crashes on the 'net.

Modelexis
04-08-2011, 09:19 PM
What tranny does the porsche have Klou?

I bet your top gear doesn't even go to 200mph at redline.

From what I understand, a porsche tranny from that year 944 top speed would be about 18X mph.

sillysod
04-08-2011, 09:39 PM
gearing would definitely limit the 944. It would get up to speed a lot quicker then a Ferrari for sure with that kind of power, but gearing would limit it.

The Hyabusa is speed limited at 300km/h (185mph), with the limiter removed I'm sure with some mods it could do it, but....

Sure puts the 300+mph drag cars in perspective though... 1320ft and Kitty O'Neils 412 MPH in 3.22 second 1/4 mile pass.

962 kid
04-08-2011, 10:37 PM

I didn't say it was unsafe, I say it's impossible. This being one of several reasons:

http://www.944online.com/images/products/techforum/944turbogearratiodiagram.gif

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
It's a 5 speed manual. I see the graph.... looks like 185 or so is the max on this tranny. And even then the engine would be screaming.

If only there was a 6th gear...

I'm curious though 962 kid. What are these other "several reasons" it would be impossible? I did think of the gearing, but assumed there would be a bit more room. But I honestly can't think of anything else which would technically make it impossible...

962 kid
04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Honestly? The car isn't powerful enough. 951s have a huge frontal area... I've been in many, many fast 951s in my life - faster and better built than yours (no offense) and I've never been anywhere north of an indicated 280 in one, which is a far, far cry from 320. I know of one local 951 that hit an indicated 315, but it was a full out race car making a fair bit more cheese than yours.

Plus, knowing 944s, it probably wouldn't last long enough to hit 200mph lol

Kloubek
04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "large frontal area". Would the size of the nose and wind resistance not be one of the things measured when testing the drag co efficient?

And I mean no offense in return, but whether or not *you personally* have gone so fast in a 944 isn't really the evidence I was looking for. I'm more looking for actual reasons why 200 wouldn't be possible. (Lack of 6th nonwithstanding, of course). I really thought that power, mass and resistance were the only three things to be factored in velocity.

sillysod
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
A 944 with 500+ hp could reach 200 MPH considering the gearing was right IMO, but still it would be completely tapped out.

Ferrari 575M - 202MPH - 533HP

Aston Martin Vanquish S - 203MPH - 520HP

Carrera GT - 205MPH - 605HP

Ford GT - 205MPH - 550HP

SLR McLaren - 208MPH - 690HP

And the fastest 5 production cars....

Spyker C8 - 215MPH - 600HP

Lamborghini 650 - 218MPH - 632HP

Koenigsegg CXX - 245 MPH - 805HP

Saleen S7 - 248MPH - 750HP

Veyron - 253MPH - 1001HP

Regardless you still have by far the nicest front engine Porsche I have ever had the pleasure of not seeing.

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Its all in the gearing unless you rev the engine up to 10000rpm.

962 kid
04-09-2011, 12:09 AM
I am not sure what you mean by "large frontal area". Would the size of the nose and wind resistance not be one of the things measured when testing the drag co efficient?

And I mean no offense in return, but whether or not *you personally* have gone so fast in a 944 isn't really the evidence I was looking for. I'm more looking for actual reasons why 200 wouldn't be possible. (Lack of 6th nonwithstanding, of course). I really thought that power, mass and resistance were the only three things to be factored in velocity.

Frontal area is not taken into consideration when calculating drag coefficient, but it is as an equally important component of drag. Why did I mention that I've been in several 944s faster than yours, all of which have failed to hit 320kph on hugely long stretches of road? Maybe to substantiate my claim that your car isn't powerful enough to hit 320. I know how fast your car is, it will not do 320kph. In fact, I'd put money on it.

Kloubek
04-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I thought we already established that, given the gear ratios?

That's totally fine - it's perfectly fast enough for me. When you say you've been in faster 944's, I believe you. You are clearly familiar with my particular build, which is something I did not realize.

I also didn't realize that frontal area had no effect on measuring drag. Even wiki has it wrong, where they claim that the projected frontal area is exactly what they *do* use to measure the drag coefficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

Can you explain to me the purpose of drag coefficient then if other factors, such as frontal area make it a nearly useless measurement? I'm clearly new to the details of figuring stuff like this out - so it's pretty cool to have a resource like Beyond with people as knowledgeable as yourself. There's so much incorrect info on the net these days...

sillysod
04-09-2011, 12:46 AM
[B]I also didn't realize that frontal area had no effect on measuring drag. Even wiki has it wrong......]

dude who give a shit if you can hit 200mph. You have a beautiful fast as shit car that will school pretty much any car you will come across on the streets. You and your car have nothing to prove to anyone.

Kloubek
04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Oh, I really don't give two shits about what anyone else thinks. But all this time I had in the back of my mind that I had a 200mph car... which really would have put it into supercar territory. Now seeing I'd be lucky to get 180 is kinda disappointing.

And now, I learn that what I previously thought I knew about vehicle dynamics is pretty much thrown out the window as well.

It's been a humbling day. :)

Originally posted by sillysod
Regardless you still have by far the nicest front engine Porsche I have ever had the pleasure of not seeing.

BTW: Just saw this. Thank you! It is starting to show its age though, and there are a few things I want to fix up on it before it is up to my "standards". There are plenty of nicer front-engined Porsches out there.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Its all in the gearing unless you rev the engine up to 10000rpm.

Ha! I'm afraid to push it to redline in the first place. I'm going to guess the engine is pretty stressed to get this kind of power out of a 2.5l. How these 944's which are significantly faster than mine that 968 Kid is talking about managed to put out that much power, I'd truly love to know.

sillysod
04-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Now seeing I'd be lucky to get 180 is kinda disappointing.

haha, yeah 180 MPH for a 4 cylinder is really disappointing. :facepalm:

Every car in the list I posted has at least 2x (one is 4x) the cylinders and displacement of your disappointing 500hp 944.

962 kid
04-09-2011, 03:26 AM
I thought we already established that, given the gear ratios?

That's totally fine - it's perfectly fast enough for me. When you say you've been in faster 944's, I believe you. You are clearly familiar with my particular build, which is something I did not realize.

I also didn't realize that frontal area had no effect on measuring drag. Even wiki has it wrong, where they claim that the projected frontal area is exactly what they *do* use to measure the drag coefficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

Can you explain to me the purpose of drag coefficient then if other factors, such as frontal area make it a nearly useless measurement? I'm clearly new to the details of figuring stuff like this out - so it's pretty cool to have a resource like Beyond with people as knowledgeable as yourself. There's so much incorrect info on the net these days...

drag coefficient isn't nearly useless... it's just one of several factors that are needed when calculating drag. I suppose I shouldn't say that area isn't involved in determining Cd (sorry I was on the way out the door when I wrote that), but when calculating drag it needs to be considered as well. Some basic reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_%28physics%29

Here's a decent writeup on how a wind tunnel can be used to determine Cd of an object: http://www.coes.latech.edu/tutorials/htwalr/COES_laboratory_sample.doc I have a bunch more reading material, unfortunately it's buried somewhere in the middle of a 500 page PDF file lol.

The car is pretty damn fast there's no doubting that. I'm not ragging on your car in any way lol just trying to bring a little reality to the difficulty of actually hitting 200mph. At any real-world speed, there aren't many supercars that will romp yours outright.

Ha! I'm afraid to push it to redline in the first place. I'm going to guess the engine is pretty stressed to get this kind of power out of a 2.5l. How these 944's which are significantly faster than mine that 968 Kid is talking about managed to put out that much power, I'd truly love to know.

There are many ways to make a faster car than the route Aaron chose. Realistically, if you want to make much more than the 450ish WHP that he did, you're best off with a 16v head. Above that, the 8v simply isn't the best tool for the job. There are many ways to improve on your build though, mostly by increasing useable hp. My little brother's 951 is down a fair bit of peak hp on yours, yet is just as quick (Aaron thinks quicker). If you're serious, shoot me a PM I could shoot off a half dozen things I'd change on the car.

/thread hijack

J-hop
04-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I think 5K to hit 200mph is a pretty big waste of money. I've been a passenger when my buddy hit 220kph in his VW, i'm willing to bet that his VW at 220kph was much less stable than most of these supercars would be at 320kph so all you are paying for is to brag that you hit a certain number. I very much doubt it would be much more thrilling than winding out your daily POS to 200+kph.

chkolny541
04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
I think 5K to hit 200mph is a pretty big waste of money. I've been a passenger when my buddy hit 220kph in his VW, i'm willing to bet that his VW at 220kph was much less stable than most of these supercars would be at 320kph so all you are paying for is to brag that you hit a certain number. I very much doubt it would be much more thrilling than winding out your daily POS to 200+kph.

lol agreed, ive hit 180 in my civic and been in my buddies mazda when he hit 220 km/h on the way to leth. SOO sketchy