PDA

View Full Version : Telus Hiring Fair April 16th. Looking to hire 250+ new employees

spikerS
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Telus Hiring Fair Details (http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/media_news_viewer.cgi?news_id=1383&mode=2)

{quote]April 6, 2011
TELUS hiring 250 people in Calgary to support growth

Calgary, AB – TELUS is getting creative as it works to hire more than 250 new customer service agents, technicians and professionals in Calgary within the next three months to support the growth of TELUS Optik TV and wireless services.

By this summer, the new recruits will join the 3,000 TELUS team members who already call Calgary and surrounding area home.

To help the company bring so many new employees on board, TELUS will host a unique hiring fair on Saturday, April 16, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at TELUS House Calgary (411 – 1st St. SE). Potential new hires are invited to come by the TELUS Career Showcase and sit in on information sessions about what's it is like to work as a contact centre team member or technician, speak to current TELUS team members, take a tour of the TELUS call centre and other facilities, and apply for a job on the spot. Calgarians interested in joining the TELUS team can come by the hiring fair with a resume.

“Optik TV is a game-changer – the customer response has been terrific and, as a result, we're hiring in Calgary,” said Monty Carter, senior vice-president, TELUS Enterprise Solutions. “To keep up with growing customer demand, we need 250 new technicians and customer care agents in Calgary alone by the end of June.”

Anyone can view current job postings and apply online at TELUS.com/careers.

TELUS is an employer of choice in Canada, offering numerous career options and unique flexible work programs, including:
• Work Styles and At Home Agent programs. 70 per cent of team members will work at home at least part time by 2015. 1,400 customer care agents will work at home full-time by the end of this year, up from 1,000 last year.
• Active support for causes important to team members. TELUS was named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Since 2000, TELUS and its team members have contributed $245 million and volunteered 4 million hours to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and local communities.
• A wide range of benefits tailored to today's lifestyle, including a personal concierge service; three personal days off a year; meditation and prayer rooms in larger buildings; fitness and health programs; and support for employee diversity.

More about Optik TV
Not only does Optik TV give Albertans a better choice about where to get their TV service, but it offers un-matched flexibility and some of the best features available anywhere in the world today.

By the end of 2010, TELUS had 314,000 TV customers, up 85 per cent from a year earlier.

At the close of 2010, TELUS had installed the infrastructure necessary to bring wireline broadband Internet speeds of up to 25 megabits per second and Optik TV to more than 1 million households in Alberta communities including Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, to name a few. Optik TV runs over a high-speed Internet connection, providing customers with game-changing services and features as well as more than 480 channels, including 85 in High Definition (HD). The TELUS Optik TV expansion is part of the company's $650 million investment across Alberta this year to further expand and enhance its wireless and wireline networks. This year's network investment builds upon the $23 billion TELUS has invested in its operations and technology in the province in the last 10 years.

Optik TV provides never before seen functionality and features. The internet-based service features PVR Anywhere, with one PVR acting as a server for the entire home so that Optik TV customers can watch and record shows on any TV, record up to three shows at once, and pause a program in one room and pick it up in another, right where they left off. Recently TELUS introduced Remote Recording, an application that allows Optik TV subscribers to manage their PVR recordings from any Internet connection, iPhone or select BlackBerry device. Optik TV also offers: Picture-in-Picture browsing; onscreen Call Display; HD Video On Demand; HD Pay Per View; and an improved search capability that enables effortless searches for shows and movies by actor, director, show title or sporting event, for immediate viewing or recording in the future. With Optik TV, TELUS customers can even use their Xbox 360 as a digital television box. It's easier and more flexible than ever.

TELUS also offers TELUS Satellite TV service which complements TELUS' Optik TV by expanding the availability of TELUS home bundles, including TELUS TV, home phone and High Speed Internet to more than 90 per cent of households across Alberta and British Columbia.

To order TELUS TV or for more information, go to telus.com/tv or call 310-MYTV (6988).

About TELUS
TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada, with $9.8 billion of annual revenue and 12.3 million customer connections including 7 million wireless subscribers, 3.7 million wireline network access lines and 1.2 million Internet subscribers and more than 300,000 TELUS TV customers. Led since 2000 by President and CEO, Darren Entwistle, TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services including data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, entertainment and video.

In support of our philosophy to give where we live, TELUS, our team members and retirees will, by year-end 2011, have contributed $245 million to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and volunteered four million hours of service to local communities since 2000. Ten TELUS Community Boards across Canada lead TELUS' local philanthropic initiatives. TELUS was honoured to be named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, becoming the first Canadian company to receive this prestigious international recognition.

For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com.

[/quote]

I gotta endorse TELUS here. I have been working here the past 5 years, and the pay and benefits are all pretty good, and the jobs themselves are pretty decent.

Grogador
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
In the IT/technical fields, is the pay competitive with similar work in oil and gas?

Cos
04-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
In the IT/technical fields, is the pay competitive with similar work in oil and gas?

hahahahahahahaha

breath

hahahahahahahahahah

Spikers you have PM

lint
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

nope. but the benefits are way better than Smart

Spoons
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I just started, can say I already like what I see. Pay is great, benefits are awesome. Plus 40% off Telus Services and you can get the Ambassador cell plan (Unlimited talk/long distance, unlimited text, caller ID, voice-mail, 2GB date) for $15/month... :clap:

Bring your A-game though, the interview process isn't a cake walk. With my group that is training right now, we are 20% of everyone who applied that got the job.

silvercivicsir
04-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Worse job ever is in a Call center.. it's not worth the $$$ you will want to kill yourself in less then six months...

Spoons
04-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Worse job ever is in a Call center.. it's not worth the $$$ you will want to kill yourself in less then six months...

I don't know. I'm still in training but I've done a few sit in's already... To one their own but I really didn't mind it, always kept busy, etc.

Plus there is plenty of room to grow. Most of my managers were promoted in 6 months - 1 year.

$19.40 + bonus' is a pretty decent wage. I'm 22, it's enough for me to make my student loan payments and pay them off quicker, rent, savings, and more than enough for fun. But I always rate a job on how good the benefits are. 100% dental... You really can not beat that.

rated_R
04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

I don't know. I'm still in training but I've done a few sit in's already... To one their own but I really didn't mind it, always kept busy, etc.

Plus there is plenty of room to grow. Most of my managers were promoted in 6 months - 1 year.

$19.40 + bonus' is a pretty decent wage. I'm 22, it's enough for me to make my student loan payments and pay them off quicker, rent, savings, and more than enough for fun. But I always rate a job on how good the benefits are. 100% dental... You really can not beat that.

Hey Spoons, are you in training for the Technical support position, I'm currently in training for that as well, our training started March 7th

mazdavirgin
04-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Just going to go off on a limb here and say you should look at the fine print. Typically 100% dental is up to some magic cap which means anything above and beyond is coming out of your pocket. The other one is how often they allow you to go and see the dentist. My experience has been that everyone claims to have 100% dental but when you actually sit down and look through the paperwork, it often comes up rather short.

Spoons
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Just going to go off on a limb here and say you should look at the fine print. Typically 100% dental is up to some magic cap which means anything above and beyond is coming out of your pocket. The other one is how often they allow you to go and see the dentist. My experience has been that everyone claims to have 100% dental but when you actually sit down and look through the paperwork, it often comes up rather short.

You're right, but the cap is set at a pretty good level. I can't remember the cap, but it is more than enough for me. It's all unionized, so there isn't too much screwing over.

@rated_R I'm training for Client Care. I was offered the position in Technical Support but me and the interviewer both agreed that my sales experience would be better used in Client Care.

silvercivicsir
04-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Just a word of advice, it's an good paying job for working part time and going to school... but if your going it full time I would rather flip burgers...

The $$$ looks good now, but seriously call center jobs are horrible. It's call after call, and they monitor everything. You have to be accountable for almost every minute of your time when your on the phones... You Pee when they tell you can.. if you go when you have too, they ask what you were doing.. MICRO managing at it's finest.. You have to promote the "website" on very calls, and make sales attempts, Blah blah blah..

You say No to Mr Customer, cuz that's Telus's policy... and you disagree with a customer for 10 minutes, and the call get escalated to your manager, the first thing the manager says sure no problem..

Call center jobs are front lines, your in the trenches, and people take liberties over the phone that they wouldn't normally do in person.

I hated it, and it makes you hate how cheap and petty some people are. They will call and fight you tooth and nail for 1 cent. it's never about the money, but it's always about the principle. (so they say)... and you really find out people in the world are just stupid. They think ingnorance is an excuse.

But these are just my experiences.. I hope you find it different, but I know you won't..

Troll-ol
04-09-2011, 04:58 PM
How are the I.t jobs there? I need to find one.

spikerS
04-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

There is a $2500 cap on dental for surgery stuff, but for fillings, extractions, ect, there is no limit. Quite honestly the best benefits package I have ever had.

Originally posted by Troll-ol
How are the I.t jobs there? I need to find one.

IT is usually pretty good, depending on where you go and what projects you are on.

FraserB
04-09-2011, 11:43 PM
silvercivicsir

You just described 99.9% of people that you will encounter if you work any customer service job. If you work in the service industry long enough you will eventually lose all faith in people.

Spoons
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

You just described 99.9% of people that you will encounter if you work any customer service job. If you work in the service industry long enough you will eventually lose all faith in people.

That summed it up nicely. I lost faith in all people years ago, but I put up with it and I enjoy it. I'm good at it, so why not continue to apply my skills. Not sure when you worked there silver, but I've been in pretty good contact so far with my boss' and ops manager, and they all seem very decent people. The ops manager is pretty laid back and seems fair.

I don't know, you can go flip burgers, but I'll be fine making ~$20/hour with room to grow. It is all about how you apply yourself, and everyone starts some where.

Type_S1
04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Just a word of advice, it's an good paying job for working part time and going to school... but if your going it full time I would rather flip burgers...

The $$$ looks good now, but seriously call center jobs are horrible. It's call after call, and they monitor everything. You have to be accountable for almost every minute of your time when your on the phones... You Pee when they tell you can.. if you go when you have too, they ask what you were doing.. MICRO managing at it's finest.. You have to promote the "website" on very calls, and make sales attempts, Blah blah blah..

You say No to Mr Customer, cuz that's Telus's policy... and you disagree with a customer for 10 minutes, and the call get escalated to your manager, the first thing the manager says sure no problem..

Call center jobs are front lines, your in the trenches, and people take liberties over the phone that they wouldn't normally do in person.

I hated it, and it makes you hate how cheap and petty some people are. They will call and fight you tooth and nail for 1 cent. it's never about the money, but it's always about the principle. (so they say)... and you really find out people in the world are just stupid. They think ingnorance is an excuse.

But these are just my experiences.. I hope you find it different, but I know you won't..

Sums up my experience. Managers and supervisors are a bunch of idiots. They had less education then me and acted like their jobs are sooo important when a 15 year old could make a spreadsheet better then most. They undermine employee's on every fucking escalation because they don't want to deal with it. They make you put your foot in your mouth and go back on a phone and tell the customer the exact opposite of what you just did.

Shittiest place to work in the world is a customer service call center. I wasn't an underachieving employee in mine either I had top sales Canada wide for 4 months straight and you know I was never once given anything for it? Not even a good job or thanks for doing so well. Thank god that chapter of my life ended. Hopefully telus is much better then Shaw Direct because I can honestly say it was a terrible job with a huge turnover rate.

The one upside is if you want to make a "career"(if you can call it that) at a call center you can easily become a supervisor in a year or so working there. The pay is decent even though you are treated like a robot by the company and shit like people for 8 hrs a day. :dunno:

Troll-ol
04-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by spikers

There is a $2500 cap on dental for surgery stuff, but for fillings, extractions, ect, there is no limit. Quite honestly the best benefits package I have ever had.

IT is usually pretty good, depending on where you go and what projects you are on. Thanks, I'll definitely check this out since I need a career badly.

derpderp
04-12-2011, 01:20 AM
silvercivicsir is right in the end, it just depends on your personality but jobs at call centers do take a back bone. My ex-girlfriend worked in Telus call retention (keeping customers with Telus mobility and not switching providers) and had plenty of interesting stories of people telling her she was "a dumb bitch and should kill herself". And they do micro-manage time, every second you're not on a phone its recorded in a computer and added together and if it is to high you're going to have a chat.

It is union though, so you can do ridiculous stuff like just not show up to work a bunch of times only to get a letter warning you're on the first step of a million to dismissal.

The pay is pretty good if you can take the environment and the hours are better then most service industry jobs.

Can't say I agree so much with FrasherB, yes service industry can be harsh I've been in it for awhile, but call center is a whole new level people treat call center staff like shit. This happens for the same reasons any other form of anonymous communication make people assholes, they can't actually be called out on it so they turn you into a punching bag when you refuse to cancel their three year contract they only had for one month (this exact scenario happened to my ex and the guy threatened to shoot up a Telus store and then commit suicide over it. :rofl: )

pheoxs
04-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Think they are just hiring techs / sales reps or R&D Engineers as well?

targetpi
04-12-2011, 02:06 AM
I don't usually post here, but I was hired by Telus today. Seem like a good company and I can't wait to start. That, and they seem to have a decent benefits plan and work environment.

EDIT: I got hired to work under Client Loyalty and Retention FYI

Spoons
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
The one upside is if you want to make a "career"(if you can call it that) at a call center you can easily become a supervisor in a year or so working there.

I agree with most of your post, but I like those kinds of jobs. But really I have done a sit in and the managers now are not too bad.

There is career opportunity. I was going to go back to school, but instead I am going to work my ass off, work my way up a bit, then go back to school with something that is applicable to Telus (Business analysis, etc.) and they will help me pay for it. TWU-STT (union) also offers free management classes.

It's all about how you apply yourself and the opportunities you take.

Mibz
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by targetpi
EDIT: I got hired to work under Client Loyalty and Retention FYI I would like $40/month knocked off my bill.

Thanks brah.

Cos
04-12-2011, 05:35 PM
You can RETAIN me from Shaw.... lol

Type_S1
04-12-2011, 07:56 PM

I agree with most of your post, but I like those kinds of jobs. But really I have done a sit in and the managers now are not too bad.

There is career opportunity. I was going to go back to school, but instead I am going to work my ass off, work my way up a bit, then go back to school with something that is applicable to Telus (Business analysis, etc.) and they will help me pay for it. TWU-STT (union) also offers free management classes.

It's all about how you apply yourself and the opportunities you take.

I don't know what kind of career expectations you have for yourself but man...managers at places like shaw and telus do not make good money. They think their 60k a year is "good" which it may be for most...but definitely not close to what I want.

Good luck trying to apply yourself if it is something you want but I've met many people who have spent 10+ years in places like shaw/telus and have not much to show for it as managers other then the title.

Spoons
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't know what kind of career expectations you have for yourself but man...managers at places like shaw and telus do not make good money. They think their 60k a year is "good" which it may be for most...but definitely not close to what I want.

Good luck trying to apply yourself if it is something you want but I've met many people who have spent 10+ years in places like shaw/telus and have not much to show for it as managers other then the title.

Completely agree. Simply using it as a stepping stone is all and possibly (hopefully) help pay for my masters. I go back to school in September where I'll drop to part time.

zipdoa
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
The pay is good, you can work from home, but eventually you will want to end your life.

mazdavirgin
04-13-2011, 10:34 PM

Keep in mind you are talking about the call center. Managers from other depts would be making significantly more. It's not like call center managers are well payed no matter where they work...

Telus or Shaw couldn't retain anyone in the IT/Engg depts if they paid 60k a year in Calgary. Granted nothing pays like oil and gas...

SillyChell
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I have worked for TELUS for 7 years and I am now in mangement. I am only 25 years old and think that TELUS has offered me room to grow and I have moved up quickly. All 7 years of that was in a Call Centre environment as well and I can say yes I have seen alot of people come and go because that job isnt cut out for everyone. But working for TELUS comes with alot of perks.

The money is good, the discounts are good, and the benefits are awesome.

Spoons I would recommend moving from Client Care to the Business side when you have the opportunity because you will grow much quicker from there. You have a great trainer and should do well in the company! Good luck!

silvercivicsir
04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Agreed it takes a strong back bone to work in a call center, and the only reason why I took the pain for so long was so I could finish school. Can't beat a $20.00 an hour job with decent benefits for only working part time.

But I knew I wasn't going to be a "lifer" just had to finish school. I used it as a motivation tool. Kinda like a buddy who only lasted one day at the meat packing plant in high river. He finished his degree in 4 years, cuz he couldn't stand the thought of having to go back to that job.

As for Job security, I would be careful, Telus knows they pay their call center people alot for what they do, and if given the chance, they will ship those jobs overseas where it's cheaper..

To this day I hate talking on the phone.. and the thought of hearing that "BEEEP" just before the next call is delivered to you.. gives me the creeps.....

Good luck in your Job, but I Like many others, are Thankful my call center days are over.

CT-C
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I am looking for a part-time job and was on the Telus website. I am currently working full-time right now but they say in the website that you have to be available for 10 weeks of full-time training. Is this true or do they make exceptions for Students and people who have full-time jobs?

Originally posted by spikers
Telus Hiring Fair Details (http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/media_news_viewer.cgi?news_id=1383&mode=2)

{quote]April 6, 2011
TELUS hiring 250 people in Calgary to support growth

Calgary, AB – TELUS is getting creative as it works to hire more than 250 new customer service agents, technicians and professionals in Calgary within the next three months to support the growth of TELUS Optik TV and wireless services.

By this summer, the new recruits will join the 3,000 TELUS team members who already call Calgary and surrounding area home.

To help the company bring so many new employees on board, TELUS will host a unique hiring fair on Saturday, April 16, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at TELUS House Calgary (411 – 1st St. SE). Potential new hires are invited to come by the TELUS Career Showcase and sit in on information sessions about what's it is like to work as a contact centre team member or technician, speak to current TELUS team members, take a tour of the TELUS call centre and other facilities, and apply for a job on the spot. Calgarians interested in joining the TELUS team can come by the hiring fair with a resume.

“Optik TV is a game-changer – the customer response has been terrific and, as a result, we're hiring in Calgary,” said Monty Carter, senior vice-president, TELUS Enterprise Solutions. “To keep up with growing customer demand, we need 250 new technicians and customer care agents in Calgary alone by the end of June.”

Anyone can view current job postings and apply online at TELUS.com/careers.

TELUS is an employer of choice in Canada, offering numerous career options and unique flexible work programs, including:
• Work Styles and At Home Agent programs. 70 per cent of team members will work at home at least part time by 2015. 1,400 customer care agents will work at home full-time by the end of this year, up from 1,000 last year.
• Active support for causes important to team members. TELUS was named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Since 2000, TELUS and its team members have contributed $245 million and volunteered 4 million hours to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and local communities.
• A wide range of benefits tailored to today's lifestyle, including a personal concierge service; three personal days off a year; meditation and prayer rooms in larger buildings; fitness and health programs; and support for employee diversity.

More about Optik TV
Not only does Optik TV give Albertans a better choice about where to get their TV service, but it offers un-matched flexibility and some of the best features available anywhere in the world today.

By the end of 2010, TELUS had 314,000 TV customers, up 85 per cent from a year earlier.

At the close of 2010, TELUS had installed the infrastructure necessary to bring wireline broadband Internet speeds of up to 25 megabits per second and Optik TV to more than 1 million households in Alberta communities including Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, to name a few. Optik TV runs over a high-speed Internet connection, providing customers with game-changing services and features as well as more than 480 channels, including 85 in High Definition (HD). The TELUS Optik TV expansion is part of the company's $650 million investment across Alberta this year to further expand and enhance its wireless and wireline networks. This year's network investment builds upon the $23 billion TELUS has invested in its operations and technology in the province in the last 10 years.

Optik TV provides never before seen functionality and features. The internet-based service features PVR Anywhere, with one PVR acting as a server for the entire home so that Optik TV customers can watch and record shows on any TV, record up to three shows at once, and pause a program in one room and pick it up in another, right where they left off. Recently TELUS introduced Remote Recording, an application that allows Optik TV subscribers to manage their PVR recordings from any Internet connection, iPhone or select BlackBerry device. Optik TV also offers: Picture-in-Picture browsing; onscreen Call Display; HD Video On Demand; HD Pay Per View; and an improved search capability that enables effortless searches for shows and movies by actor, director, show title or sporting event, for immediate viewing or recording in the future. With Optik TV, TELUS customers can even use their Xbox 360 as a digital television box. It's easier and more flexible than ever.

TELUS also offers TELUS Satellite TV service which complements TELUS' Optik TV by expanding the availability of TELUS home bundles, including TELUS TV, home phone and High Speed Internet to more than 90 per cent of households across Alberta and British Columbia.

To order TELUS TV or for more information, go to telus.com/tv or call 310-MYTV (6988).

About TELUS
TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada, with $9.8 billion of annual revenue and 12.3 million customer connections including 7 million wireless subscribers, 3.7 million wireline network access lines and 1.2 million Internet subscribers and more than 300,000 TELUS TV customers. Led since 2000 by President and CEO, Darren Entwistle, TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services including data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, entertainment and video.

In support of our philosophy to give where we live, TELUS, our team members and retirees will, by year-end 2011, have contributed $245 million to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and volunteered four million hours of service to local communities since 2000. Ten TELUS Community Boards across Canada lead TELUS' local philanthropic initiatives. TELUS was honoured to be named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, becoming the first Canadian company to receive this prestigious international recognition.

For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com.

I gotta endorse TELUS here. I have been working here the past 5 years, and the pay and benefits are all pretty good, and the jobs themselves are pretty decent. [/QUOTE]

targetpi
04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Just a quick heads up, Telus is still looking for more hires. Lots of positions still available.

Originally posted by CT-C
[B]I am looking for a part-time job and was on the Telus website. I am currently working full-time right now but they say in the website that you have to be available for 10 weeks of full-time training. Is this true or do they make exceptions for Students and people who have full-time jobs?

You must be available during that time. If you can't commit to the training, Telus won't hire you.