PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Guitar Question

killramos
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi I've noticed there are at least a few musicians on these forums and wanted to pose a question.

My girlfriend bought me my first guitar set about 4 months ago; Epiphone Les Paul Custom II set with amp gip bag etc. I currently live in Nova Scotia during the school year as I am in University but i live in Calgary during the summers.

I am really enjoying my new hobby, something completely relaxing for me and really clears my head, and play at least 6-8 hours a week on average. I obviously want to continue through the summer but looking into transporting the guitar back to Calgary for the summer and then bringing it back in september is looking to be pretty expensive. I would have to buy a hard case, pay for additional luggage on the plane, transport the amp etc. All of which is probably going to end up costing more than the guitar is really worth.

So here is the decision I am trying to make, I have a friend who bought a Squier Strat set a couple years back in Calgary and never really played it. When i told him i has started taking up guitar he said i should have just bought the guitar off him for a deal. I have also been wondering if i should look into getting something a little nicer, the Gibson Les Paul Juniors look absolutely amazing to me and are definitely my style. I will admit though that I am not very good and have been mainly trying to teach myself in my spare time from tabs and online videos.

So in your guys honest opinion should i consider looking at a nicer guitar or will i regret it and i should just pick up the used cheap strat off my friend?

Thanks

D'z Nutz
04-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Why don't you just bring your guitar home with your carry on? Then find a cheap practice amp when you get here.

msommers
04-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I think it really depends on your budget and your want. I don't know if anyone can answer that here. Gibsons are sweet; I had a Les Paul awhile ago and relucantly sold it. The only thing I would say is that if you're buying a Gibson here and leaving your Epiphone in NS, you might miss the Gibson when you go back!

That said, I'm trying to get rid of a guitar set that may be up your alley.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/330743/fs-epiphone-les-paul-squire-amp-and-more/

killramos
04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I had thought about that but when i called Air Canada to see if it was allowed i was told that their policy is to force me to check the guitar with checked baggage, particularly because apparently the end of april is considered a "busy period".

killramos
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I think it really depends on your budget and your want. I don't know if anyone can answer that here. Gibsons are sweet; I had a Les Paul awhile ago and relucantly sold it. The only thing I would say is that if you're buying a Gibson here and leaving your Epiphone in NS, you might miss the Gibson when you go back!

That said, I'm trying to get rid of a guitar set that may be up your alley.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/330743/fs-epiphone-les-paul-squire-amp-and-more/

Yea that is a good point, money isn't really to much of an issue but i want to be realistic considering I am a beginner.

I will definitely take a look into your set there when i get back to calgary, it looks pretty nice, especially if my friends strat is in bad condition and i do decide against the gibson.

timdog
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I would get an amp modeler that you can plug in headphones too. something like a line 6 POD. these are sweet for traveling as they take up very little room and you dont need an amp at all. plus if you are staying in a small space with your gf you wont annoy the shit out of her with the amp but can still go full volume.
if it were me, and i was a beginner, i would probably just buy the squier if its only for the summer. then sell it on kijiji or something when the summer is over and get most of your money back. I find beginners always waste the money on nice guitars... work your way up to your dream guitar in a couple years and get good on playing shitty ones, it will make you a better player.

rage2
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
From the guitar thread...

Originally posted by rage2
For all you iPhone and iPad guitarists...

Amplitube for iPhone:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube/id373524000?mt=8

Amplitube for iPad:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-for-ipad/id373750924?mt=8

Screenshot of my "And Justice for All" distortion setup:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/79b51790.png

What a wicked setup. I can import my songs, play along to them, record them, change amp settings on playback (it records your clean guitar tone), 4 track multi-tracker, tons of amps, pedals, cabs, and mics.

It's wicked for practice with headphones on. I can slow down a section of a song without affecting pitch to learn it... great for late night practices.
I pretty much use this most of the time I'm playing nowadays, in the office or in my bedroom. I can play any of the songs off my music library on the ipad/iphone and just use headphones, slow down the tough parts such as solos, and work my way up in speed till I can play it at faster than normal speed.

The best part is, because you're using headphones, the sound is so clean you can easily hear your mistakes, forcing you to play cleaner.

killramos
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Wow that iPad setup is cool, I geuss you have to buy their iRig dongle online to get it to work though? Garageband can do something similar, just plugging my guitar into the line in of my Macbook. I have always found the sound to be a bit noisy compared to what i get from even my little epiphone amp.

When you use your iPad as an amp do you use the dongle that they advertise with the software?

rage2
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Yup. Bought 2 dongles one for work one for home.

timdog
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
yeah, thats way better than my POD recommendation. same general idea though.

TKRIS
04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
If you can dig the modelers, that's definitely the way to go. I just can't get into them myself, but that's just me being ignorant and stubborn.
That Squier is really going to depend on what kind of squier it is, and how old it is.
I have had a few of the newer squiers (tele and strat) that have been decent instruments for the money (I think you can do better, mind you). I've also had a couple older "Made In Indonesia" Squiers that needed a lot of work just to be enjoyable to play (new pickups, hardware, refinished, several set ups, etc).
I have a Squier Standard Strat right now that is, as far as build quality and sound, every fucking inch as good, if not better, than my beloved Telecaster. It doesn't have the tele's mojo, but it's solid as fuck. I leave it at my office and rarely play it because I'm not a strat guy...
Get someone to help you look, and buy used. You can easily buy an excellent guitar for less than $250 if you know what you're looking for.
I've bought or traded for nice Fenders, Squiers, Jacksons, and Ibanez guitars with less than $250 into them.
Keep that in mind before you go spending $120 on an Affinity Squier or $100 on a Squier bullet. Most people have a pretty unrealistic view of what their gear is worth, especially on kijiji. There was recently a guy trying to sell an Epi Special II and cheapo amp for $450...

msommers's rig looks to be a good deal in my opinion if that's what you're after.

Buying quality stuff is important, IMO, especially when you're a beginner.