PDA

View Full Version : quick lube place forgot plug

Neons4life
04-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Well an interesting story for you that involves one of those quick oil change places (Mr.Lube).

I went to get an oil change about 3 weeks ago which was just a day before my vehicle went in to get some body damage fixed due to an accident.

Prior to going into the bady shop we noticed a very small pool of fluid sitting on the driveway which we had thought was just from some drained oil the lube techs didn't clean up.

Get the vehicle back yesterday, driving around and start to hear a faint humming sound, don't really think anything of it till today when it starts to get so loud sounds like a flat tire or worse.

I start to diagnose what may be the god awful sound...what do I find? the inspection plug in the rear differential missing entirely.

My wife had put around 300kms on the vehicle with absolutely no oil in the rear differential before I noticed it.

I go to Mr.Lube today to address this issue and am still waiting to hear back from the owner as he was not in when I went down.

Has this or anything like this happen to someone else? what will the possible outcome be?

I will keep this updated as things unfold.

HuMz
04-10-2011, 10:57 PM
They will be on the hook to replace the rear end. Did you take any pictures of the missing cap with leak? Also did you call them as soon as you noticed the leak?

The sooner there fuck up is documented the less chance they have to prove they weren't at fault.

btimbit
04-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

The sooner there fuck up is documented the less chance they have to prove they weren't at fault.

:werd:

Best of luck, keep us informed

Type_S1
04-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Used to work at Mr. Lube many years ago. Had no experience and they had me working as a "tech". Probably some 14 year old doing your diff as I was back then. Take Pictures. Every plug they replace they spray white spray paint type shit on all plugs so if it has been tampered with they are not liable. Take picture immediately and make sure you go get an estimate from a mechanic to fix your vehicle and take that estimate to the owner.

SPEEDY Zoom
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
thats why you i never take or recommend going to these quick oil chages places, you never know who is working on it. definitely not a trained or licenced tech. 5 years ago i took my car to mr lube on 32ave NE, they over filled the oil and did some damage to the engine, luckly it was coverd under warranty still.

badatusrnames
04-11-2011, 12:48 AM
A Mr. Lube left a pair of channel locks under the hood of my mom's car, precariously balanced on the ledge over top of the rad fan. It's a good thing I popped the hood when she got home from getting her oil change done to make sure everything was in place.

One bump in the road, or one hill and those things could have fallen down into the fan and belts, where I'm sure they could have done some damage.

The emphasis at these places are getting as many people in and out as quickly and cheaply as possible, there isn't much care or attention to detail taken. I'd never go to one.

BensonTT
04-11-2011, 02:42 AM
where do you guys recommend to get a quick oil change then if mr lube is no good? this is where i usually go...

CUG
04-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by BensonTT
where do you guys recommend to get a quick oil change then if mr lube is no good? this is where i usually go... The dealer. They don't charge much more than the lube places. Lube shops seem like they are to mechanic shops what security guards are to police. I don't go to them anymore. I do them myself. They get bitchy when you check their work or watch them because they want you to think they know what they're doing when they straight up fucking do not: not qualified, and they know enough to be as dangerous as the OP describes. That's the experience I've had.

I feel bad for owners. They probably have huge turnover rates and aren't drawing from a very educated pool of candidates when they hire. Not but fake chains, not but shitty tattoos, not but bad mustaches, and not but terrible hairdo's combined with rightfully fragile ego's. Is there a nightmare greater than this for someone charged with the task of hiring?

That said, the dealers can be dishonest bags of shit too. They do so under the pretenses of having to protect their company purse from fraudulent claims. Realisitically, and don't let anyone ever bullshit you, if they can get out of paying, they won't pay.

zakizdaman
04-11-2011, 03:47 AM
another good place is certigard. they over oil changes at competitive rates compared to lube shitty etc.

plus anybody who touches your car is a liscensed mechanic, no 14 year olds there.

Rat Fink
04-11-2011, 06:50 AM

J-hop
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I think we need to start a warning thread to stop people from going to these garbage places. Threads like this pop up WAY too much.

Neons4life
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm 28 years old now and owned so many cars in my life time and this is the first AND LAST time I will take my car to a place like this.

Hopefully the owner will be calling me shortly, if not I will call and pop down for another visit.

FraserB
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I went to one of these places ONCE, because I was in a jam.

I had water in my rear diff and needed it changed, I would have done it myself but it was cold out. I insisted on watching and by the time it was done I had to clean the old gasket off the mating surfaces because the guy didnt believe me when I told him to clean them off, then had to fight to get the LSD additive in per spec and then stop him from taking an impact to the cover bolts.:banghead:

Never again. I either do it myself or if I cant, it goes to one of two mechanics in this city who touch my car. Same with oil changes.

sillysod
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I had my drain plug fall out of my audi on the highway after getting an oil change at Jiffy Lube in Moose Jaw.

Ended up towing the car to Estevan and getting the local GM dealership to flush the engine etc and refill with synthetic.

I called the lube shop and talked to the owner, he was amazing. He covered all the bills and when I said I am going to take my car to Glenmore Audi to get the motor compression tested and the valve cover and pan pulled off to check for damage he said no problem.

He paid for everything and sent me a letter of apology.

So grouping all these shops together isn't fair. Forsure some of the employees are incompetent, but not everybody can have shining stars all the time. The difference comes with the owners/management.

GT.....O?
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Back a couple years ago, i got my differential fluids changed in my car ( lol i was young)

For 2 years my car never leaked a drop, yet sure enough as soon as i get home my car is leaking oil.
I bring it back to Mr Lube on Bowtrail by westbrooke mall and the retarded "Technician" had overtightened the drain plug on my diff so much that it actually cracked the drain spout on the diff in half.

They said it wasn't their fault and that it probably cracked when they loosened it to drain it because it was probably so tight from the last person to tighten it.

Scam artists at their finest.

Luckily my uncle is a HONEST mechanic and took care of it for me.

adidas
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
what location?

CapnCrunch
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Hopefully the owner does the right thing and makes it right for you. Usually they'll just deny it.

Kloubek
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
They will probably fight it at first - especially if it was an "experienced" tech working on the car.

Just rember to work your way to the top if you need to. Don't take no for an answer.

n1zm0
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Every plug they replace they spray white spray paint type shit on all plugs so if it has been tampered with they are not liable.

i always thought the white crap was spray silicone or rtv because they always managed to strip the threads on the pan

when i was working @ a dealership, i remember dreading already doing the oil change when i saw the reminder sticker was not from our dealership previously. simply because it was either stripped pan thread, oil filter is on so tight that you'd think it was holding the fken car together ffs or dangerously finger tight (loose)

then they have the audacity to ask you if you want that same little shit to replace your accessory/fan belts :banghead:

i understand its hard to schedule sometimes for something that literally takes 20 mins but the dealership has the better resources to deal with complacency and proper teaching in the workplace alot better than some 'fast lube' place where they have a 16 y/o part-time lube tech who was taught by a backyard billybob self proclaimed "mechanic" change the 'lifeblood' of your car. OR just learn to do it yourself, get nice and intimate with the underside of your ride :thumbsup: rhino/pro ramps and a pair of jackstands @ crappy tire are only about ~$50-$60 for a lifetime of use.

Scat E46
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I feel your pain. They stripped my oil drain plug, said it was because it was old (car was a 2000, had an oil change in 2008), they drained my oil and put it back into the bottles and pushed my car out saying it was costing them money sitting in the bay and taking up a spot.

I will NEVER go to a lube place again. I tried to go to the top, but not dice.

300 dollars later, re tapped pan, towing, and oil change. Not to mention 2 days.

I was lazy because it was -25 outside and didn't feel like crawling on the floor. Never again.

beyond_ban
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I always do my own... not only does it give me a tiny bit of a sense of accomplishment but it also saves money and lets me rest easy knowing that my car is in the best of hands.

Offroad
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
They will rebuild your diff......they did the same thing to ex wifes safari few years ago and they sent it to a shop and rebuilt the diff .....and yes i double checked it was done :)

derpderp
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
My mother got an oil change at one of these places once and they forgot to put the oil cap back on :facepalm:

THE GOVERNATOR
04-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
My mother got an oil change at one of these places once and they forgot to put the oil cap back on :facepalm:

hopefully her car wasnt dual overhead cam, that would have made a awful mess.

Kennyredline
04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I always do my own... not only does it give me a tiny bit of a sense of accomplishment but it also saves money and lets me rest easy knowing that my car is in the best of hands.
I do as well, but as I was reading this thread, I thought if I fuck up my own oil change, and blow my engine (or tranny in the OP's case) I'M on the hook for it; if Mr. Lube fucks it up, and I document things properly, they'll have to pay.

JRSC00LUDE
04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

I did that to myself once! haha And yes, it made a real mess!

BlackArcher101
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
if Mr. Lube fucks it up, and I document things properly, then they deny, I take them to court, and they'll have to pay.

You missed a few steps which I added. Unless actually forced to, they don't have to pay in their eyes.

crapstixs
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
you have to 100% prove that they fucked it up. they will take every single road to deny that they did anything wrong. in your case im betting there going to say it was the body shop that could have taken out the plug. unless the component failed in the lube shop, your going to have a fun time proving it. I fix so many lube shop mistakes its not even funny. and most of the time its on the customers dime. even if you find your diff plug in there pit, they will say how do you know that its from your truck.

shops also do have insurance for this type of thing, they pay the deductible and thats it.

max_boost
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I've been going to Mr.Lube for years and haven't had any screw ups yet but all the threads scare me. I'll just have to bring it to a trusted mechanic even for just an oil change.

G-ZUS
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
anyone see that TV commercial Mr. Lube has going on? That they are quicker than stealerships, they make it sound like dealership techs are really slow.

max_boost
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Any dealership recommendations who have a service bay for strictly oil changes? In and out in 30 minutes kind of deal. Mr.Lube is annoying because they ALWAYS push those engine flushes, and fluid changes even though you are nowhere near the scheduled intervals.

bbcustoms
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Mr.Lube is annoying because they ALWAYS push those engine flushes, and fluid changes even though you are nowhere near the scheduled intervals.

This just happened to my cousin. New Subaru, under 40,000 km with long life coolant from factory (240,000 km). They showed her the drop color test and told her it needed to be flushed and changed. She didn't know any better so about $150 later she is driving away. Found out about it after talking to a couple people, called and complained with no results.

Mr. Lube :thumbsdow

J-hop
04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms

This just happened to my cousin. New Subaru, under 40,000 km with long life coolant from factory (240,000 km). They showed her the drop color test and told her it needed to be flushed and changed. She didn't know any better so about $150 later she is driving away. Found out about it after talking to a couple people, called and complained with no results.

Mr. Lube :thumbsdow

question, why are people these days bringing expensive cars to these garbage places. I could understand if it was a rusted out 94 ford tempo you use as a daily beater and don't give a shit about or a work vehicle that you don't have to pay for. But a brand new subaru?!?!?

bbcustoms
04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

question, why are people these days bringing expensive cars to these garbage places. I could understand if it was a rusted out 94 ford tempo you use as a daily beater and don't give a shit about or a work vehicle that you don't have to pay for. But a brand new subaru?!?!?

I think to the average girl or weak minded man an oil change is an oil change. It is warranty approved either way. You can make an appointment and drop it off for half a day at the dealer or sit in your car for half an hour with a complimentary coffee and paper to get it done.

.norco.
04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Its retarded how tight they put the stupid oil filter on and drain plug in...

bignerd
04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Any dealership recommendations who have a service bay for strictly oil changes? In and out in 30 minutes kind of deal. Mr.Lube is annoying because they ALWAYS push those engine flushes, and fluid changes even though you are nowhere near the scheduled intervals.

Not sure what kind of car you are looking at the oil change for, but I went to Airdrie Honda and was very happy, pretty quick service, washed the car nicely afterwards and left a thank you card inside for me. Was $38.50 I think for a basic oil change.

J-hop
04-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by .norco.
Its retarded how tight they put the stupid oil filter on and drain plug in...

my guess is whoever is teaching them doesn't understand that inch lbs and ft lbs of torque are different.

Neons4life
04-13-2011, 07:06 AM
my update;

So I been trying to get ahold of the owner of the shop since Sunday and I am unable to, instead another individual that works there has been the middle man relaying messages between myself and the owner haha, which I do not find amusing.

After talking with the middle man he states they have cameras in their shop to watch for this sort of thing so they can cover them selves in cases like this. Checked the camera's and say it's inconclusive that they did or didn't put the plug back in. But to me it sounds like the guy knows their guilty but don't want to confess.

Yesterday the middle man comes to my house and inspects my vehicle to notice no plug and fluid all over the differential and concrete. Puts new fluid in and a new plug. Even said they will come back today and clean the oil off my driveway - really impressed about that.

Before he leaves he gives me a card to a mechanic shop that is contracted out to fix any Mr.Lube shop errors like this. Even stated the owner will be paying for the damages.

Go out for a test drive last night and while it doesn't sound as bad like a flat tire, the horrible humming sound is still there.

I will be calling the mechanic shop today to get booked in to get this fixed.

Thanks goodness this will be covered, it's my wifes vehicle to drive and I can't handle to much more of her complaining that she has no wheels LOL.

Offroad
04-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Told ya they would .......we didnt even have to fight for it either :bigpimp:

Neons4life
04-13-2011, 07:24 AM
I was actually fairly surprised to hear they will cover the damages after hearing some peoples comments on the forums.

It's not going to be a cheap fix.

Neons4life
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Update;
Truck was towed down to repair center as per what I was told by the lube tech (assistant manager), before I talked to the owner, to get fixed.

After finally talking to the owner (took a week for him to call me). He is denying they did any damage and will not pay to have my vehicle fixed.

The lube techs say one thing, that they were at fault, while the owner says no they weren't at fault, and now has the lube techs not saying anything more to me.

So now I am screwed, and don't know what to do.

:banghead:

max_boost
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Holy fuck. That is fucking retarded! :thumbsdow

FraserB
04-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Guy should not have opened his mouth or "fixed" the diff in the driveway, hope you have his name. He admitted fault by doing both.

Either small claims or go to the district manager, or head office.

max_boost
04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
That's the last time I'm ever bringing my car to Mr. Lube then.

Which location was this?

Neons4life
04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I have been calling the head office and the local head office (prairie lube) numbers, leaving messages on both for the last week and no call backs yet.

Oh yeah I have all the techs names that I have talked to this far, first and last names. If I go to small claims and sue the owner and obviously these guys would be witness' - am I able to make them (lube techs) appear in court also?

FraserB
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Sue the owner.

Or name the shop here. Change thread title accordingly.

Neons4life
04-15-2011, 04:38 PM
This was serviced in Country Hills location.

FraserB
04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
"Country Hills Mr. Lube destroyed truck and refuses to fix"?

TE4MFaint
04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
You can 100% make sure the lube tech comes to court. You know him, his name, and received his card. He will definitely be summoned to court if you go this route (which i suggest you do 100%)

get your receipt, with the date on it, and the manager will have to get every employee that was working that day and more specific the one working on your vehicle to appear if you choose.

kvg
04-15-2011, 05:45 PM
If they weren't at fault why did they refill it and put a new plug in?
What a sketchy joint.:thumbsdow

Rat Fink
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Jetta-2.0
04-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
Update;
Truck was towed down to repair center as per what I was told by the lube tech (assistant manager), before I talked to the owner, to get fixed.

After finally talking to the owner (took a week for him to call me). He is denying they did any damage and will not pay to have my vehicle fixed.

The lube techs say one thing, that they were at fault, while the owner says no they weren't at fault, and now has the lube techs not saying anything more to me.

So now I am screwed, and don't know what to do.

:banghead:

You messed up when u let the "tech" fix your truck on your drive way... another thing you didnt get the "tech" to write a note stating they fcked up but good luck dude

know1edge
04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
I have been calling the head office and the local head office (prairie lube) numbers, leaving messages on both for the last week and no call backs yet

Afaik the country hills location is a franchise operation and not afiiliated with prairie lube

@maxboost; you bring your nsx to mr lube? :o