PDA

View Full Version : The BBQ and Smoking Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

D'z Nutz
04-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Just a continuation of my other thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/328008/in-the-market-for-a-bbq-grill/) since it sounds like a lot of people like talking about BBQs. The weather's getting nice, so grilling season is upon us. Let's use this thread to share recipes, tips, questions, etc.

As I mentioned in my other thread, I just picked up a Broil King Signet 20 (http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=4) over the weekend. I assembled it yesterday but didn't get to use it yet since I didn't have all the right parts to hook it up to the gas line. I got what I needed before BBQs Galore closed so I'll get to break it in tomorrow.

To be honest, up until now BBQing wasn't much more than turning on the grill, throwing meat on, and flipping it around a couple times until it was ready, but after talking to the guy at BBQs Galore, he gave me lots of tips to try out that I never thought of or heard before.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try smoking a couple chicken breasts with some apple wood chips. Anyone have any suggestion as to how long I should be doing that for?

lilmira
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Get a wireless thermometer then you don't have to guess or open the lid to check.

When I cook my chicken under low heat in my BK, it usually takes 1.5 to 2hrs.

I can't wait to fire up my grill neither. Had I not been sick for the past few days, I probably would have done it.

D'z Nutz
04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh nice, I didn't even know they made wireless thermometers. What are you using?

lilmira
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I bought my Signet90 last yr from BBQs Galore too. Love it.

You can buy those wireless thermometers just about anywhere, they are around 30-50 bucks.

You probably have smoker box already, you may also buy spray bottle to oil the grill, basting set, silicone glove. A griddle is the next thing I want to buy. I want the whole neighbourhood to smell like bacon and sausages in the morning.

Rotisserie chicken, beer can chicken, chicken thigh, chicken wings, steaks, ribs, cedar plank salmon, lamb chops, pork chops, grilled squid, bacon wrapped scallops, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus, sweet potatoes, tomatoes..........I basically cooked outside whenever I could last summer, can't wait to do it again, yum.

nonofyobiz
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I was just gonna make this thread! haha

Anyways, ...

I tried smoking some ribs over the weekend.

Put a couple racks of pork side ribs on the bbq with a spice rub. I had 2 smoker boxes with maple chips. I soaked them a little bit beforehand.

I used indirect heat and and tried to keep the temp like 200-250 deg F. Basically the one burner was on low and that's it. The problem I had was that it wasn't hot enough and barely burnt the chips at all. It didn't really end up being smoked at all.

Any tips on this sort of thing, or should I buy a smoker?

edit : I REALLY wanna smoke a pork shoulder for like 12hrs and make pulled pork sandwiches. mmmmm

VWEvo
04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
For people new to smoking, I like the Bradley smokers. They are relatively cheap, easy to control temp (electric) and have wood pucks that work amazing. I've had mine for over a year, and have made awesome brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc. I am now thinking of making the leap into something more pro, but will definately keep my Bradley for those easy, lazy times.

mix123
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I have a webber smokey mountain cooker..love it. As for "smoking" something on a gas grill. I've never had much success with those little boxes and wet chips. This year I started using chunks of wood in my charcoal...works well.

lilmira
04-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I usually crank the heat up until you can see smoke coming out of the box. It doesn't get that hot inside with just one burner on. Then I turn it down to low and put the meat on. If it's too hot, you can open the lid and cool it down a bit too.

Sometimes I don't even put the lid on the smoker box so that I can add more chips later.

r3ccOs
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
look for my old threads...

my team is "Team 58" on the pnwba

D'z Nutz
04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz
I used indirect heat and and tried to keep the temp like 200-250 deg F. Basically the one burner was on low and that's it. The problem I had was that it wasn't hot enough and barely burnt the chips at all. It didn't really end up being smoked at all.

Haha yeah my attempt at smoking a couple chicken breasts was a failure yesterday too but I think I figured out a couple ways to fix that.

I also used indirect heat and tried keeping the temperature around 200 with one burner on med/med-low. When I first started, the temperature wasn't hot enough to burn the chips so I cranked the heat until I got some smoke going then lowered the temperature.

Like lilmira said, next time I'm just going to keep the smoker box open so I can add more chips if needed.

My biggest goof? When I assembled my grill, I left the rotisserie holders off since I don't have one. In doing so, it left gaping holes on each side of the BBQ and all the smoke got out! After about 20 minutes there was no more smoke cause the wood had burned out and it had escaped through the sides :rofl: Yeeaaah, I'm gonna go put those on today after work haha

My chicken did taste like it had been smoked, however it didn't have the apple flavour.

nonofyobiz
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
try a whole chicken. takes like 2 hours with one burner on med heat. had no trouble getting smoke doing that

phreezee
09-27-2012, 10:24 AM
:drool:

a80zscz7W8k

Disoblige
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Yep, I'm hungry now. Thanks.

flipstah
09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Sonofabitch. :drool:

ExtraSlow
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm in the process of building a flower pot smoker. Supposed to replacate the kamado style. Check youtube for "alton brown flower pot smoker" to get an idea.
Not complete yet, but I'm hoping to have that done this fall and be smoking shit all winter.

tirebob
10-07-2012, 06:18 AM
I smoke on my propane BBQ all the time when I want to do something easily controlled and with little prep. Smoke boxes with soaked wood chips directly on the burners on one side and no fire under the meat. I usually crank the heat until the chips start smoking, than turn it down and add the meat to the other side, keeping the BBQ internal heat around 225/250 degrees.

Now when I smoke for the pure enjoyment and ritual of it, real lump charcoal and pieces of apple wood from my mom's orchard in BC are the only way to go! You don't need to go nuts either to do some nice food. You would be surprised what you can do with one of those cheap $50.00 kettle smokers from Bass Pro. I have a Turkey on one as we speak! Up at 4:30am today getting that bad boy ready for dinner tonight! Yummmmmmmm!!!

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/150102_10152158147800693_1944751961_n.jpg

tirebob
10-07-2012, 09:34 AM
4.5 hours into the day long smoke and already looking wicked!

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417236_10152158533320693_1926642135_n.jpg

phreezee
10-07-2012, 09:45 AM
:thumbsup:

r3ccOs
10-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I smoke on my propane BBQ all the time when I want to do something easily controlled and with little prep. Smoke boxes with soaked wood chips directly on the burners on one side and no fire under the meat. I usually crank the heat until the chips start smoking, than turn it down and add the meat to the other side, keeping the BBQ internal heat around 225/250 degrees.

Now when I smoke for the pure enjoyment and ritual of it, real lump charcoal and pieces of apple wood from my mom's orchard in BC are the only way to go! You don't need to go nuts either to do some nice food. You would be surprised what you can do with one of those cheap $50.00 kettle smokers from Bass Pro. I have a Turkey on one as we speak! Up at 4:30am today getting that bad boy ready for dinner tonight! Yummmmmmmm!!!

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/150102_10152158147800693_1944751961_n.jpg

you just need to mod the "el cheapo" brinkmann with a better thermometer and some additional heat resistant gaskets and other quick mods to retain more heat and make it easier to add fuel

and it will be a "decent" butdget smoker for a fractgion of a weber smokey mountain

BigDL
10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow, is there a guide some where about how to get started with one of those "el cheapo" smokers and what I need to do to cook a turkey.

I have the brine and oven method down pat, but I want to try a smoked turkey for Christmas.

phreezee
10-10-2012, 09:05 PM
^^^ I'd just invest in a good smoker upfront. I bought an ECB this spring and really struggled with it at first. Save yourself the frustration and buy a good one since there is no way you won't get addicted to smoking bbq. I'll probably buy a Kamado/BGE from Costco next year.

Not that you can't get good results in an ECB, just takes more effort. Check out the smoke ring and moistness on my pork rib roast over the weekend:

http://images54.fotki.com/v883/photos/7/778037/9729715/IMG2012100600113-vi.jpg

Dave P
10-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Ummmm Ribs. :drool:

Decided to go with a homemade rub and homemade sauce. Pretty damn tasty

Dave P
11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Up'd my Smoking Game.

Love this thing.

wtf im nameless
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I picked up a 55 gallon barrel from another beyonder and built my own UDS or Ugly Drum Smoker a couple of weeks ago. I've cooked on it a couple of times now and the food is OMG good. I'm going to try making jerky this weekend and make some more ribs again next week. It's not totally done yet, I'm adding a pretty cool wireless t-stat that has 4 probes, one for the smoker itself and 3 for the meat you put in it. It also has a fan controller that I can screw into the third air intake that you cannot see in the picture, it maintains proper air flow to maintain temperatures. You can even control it via iPad or iPhone lol, WIFI smoking FTW. The charcoal basket is 15x12 and can hold a lot of charcoal/hardwood, there's three racks, two cooking racks on the top and a diffuser rack to make it more indirect heat.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/wtfimnameless/bbq/photo.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/wtfimnameless/bbq/bbq1.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/wtfimnameless/bbq/Ribs.jpg

I made back ribs using a modified 3/2/1 method with the texas cheat and it turned out soooooooooooooooooooo good. Take ribs and remove the membrane on the back, cut in half racks, cover each half rack with yellow mustard, it acts as a glue for the rub. Add home made rub then smoke for 2 hours uncovered at 225 degrees. Remove from smoker, generously cover each half rack with a good amount of BBQ sauce, sprinkle more rub if desired and tightly cover in heavy duty tin foil, before wrapping the foil back up add 1/4 cup of apple juice to each 1/2 rack and smoke for another 2 hours. Take how ever much BBQ sauce you want and put it in a small sauce pan on the stove, turn it up to med-low heat, remove ribs from smoker and carefully add the juices from the bottom of the foil into the BBQ sauce and cook it down until it gets back to BBQ sauce consistency. Add more BBQ sauce to the ribs (not the stuff on the stove) and put them back on the smoker uncovered at 225 for one more hour. After the hour is up your BBQ sauce on the stove will be ready. Pre-heat your oven to broil, lay the ribs out on a cookie sheet covered in foil, put some more BBQ sauce on them and broil them until the sauce just starts caramelizing. I mixed hickory and apple wood in the smoker, a total of around 3 fist size chunks.

Enjoy the most amazing ribs ever :)

wtf im nameless
12-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Where's the BBQ love?

Bump.

Slow smoked turkey wrapped in a bacon blanket:

2.5 hours in, 3.5 to go.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/wtfimnameless/bbq/IMG_2114_zpse6245d9b.jpg

lilmira
12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Looks deadly :drool:

Kjonus
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Where did you get your plans from?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/wtfimnameless/bbq/photo.jpg

wtf im nameless
12-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Kjonus
Where did you get your plans from?

I just googled UDS or Ugly Drum Smoker. Basically the idea is this:

- Find 55 gallon drum
- Drill three 1 inch holes equal distances around the drum, 2 inches from the bottom
- Go to home depot / walmart, get some pallets and cut them up and burn them in the drum. It will get so hot most of the liner/paint will peel right off
- Sand it down to metal inside and out
- On the bottom I have a charcoal basket, 15 inch circle by 12 inches tall. It uses some nuts/bolts/washers so it has a couple inches of air space underneath it for ashes to drop
- Use grates from a 22.5 inch kettle grill. Walmart is clearing out 22.5 inch grills for $20, I bought a couple and used the grates from both and the lid from one
- My friend also game me a 22.5 inch grate from a BBQ he was throwing out, so I had three in total
- Top grate is 1 inch from the top
- Second grate is 7 inches below that
- Third grate is 5 or 6 inches below that
- I grill food on the top two grills and have a heat diffuser on the bottom one
- Sometimes, like in the case of the above turkey I have a diffuser on the bottom grate, tray full of water that moistens meat and catches drippings
- Use 3/4 inch plumbing with valves for air intakes, there are three intakes, but the one on the back doesn't have a valve, it's just a hole with a nipple so it's either open or closed.
- Paint the outside with high temp BBQ paint
- Spray the inside with Pam
- Do a couple test smokes before smoking food

It will hold around 15lbs of charcoal and so far i've been able to maintain temp within 10-15 degrees with minimal adjustments to the valves one it's dialed in. A couple weeks ago I used it when it was -20, it had no problems maintaining 250 for 7 hours.

suntan
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I have a Masterbilt, it's electric, works great. Might even smoke the Christmas turkey this year.

KRyn
12-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I have a Masterbilt, it's electric, works great. Might even smoke the Christmas turkey this year.

If you do, be sure to take some pictures and share with us!
I really want to get into smoking, maybe this summer!

suntan
12-17-2012, 05:06 PM
No problem. I also smoke basically every weekend once the weather turns nicer.

nonofyobiz
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I need a new smoker :(

I overpaid for the one I got from BBQ's Galore. Unfortunately I talked to the wrong person. I got a Brinkmann Vertical cabinet smoker with side fire box (that doubles as a charcoal grill). I had to screw around with that thing so much and it still doesn't work that great. I built a large charcoal basket because all it came with was a flat grate that sat about 1" above the bottom. Not enough air could get to the fire after awhile and it wouldn't be near hot enough. I have to use ALOT of charcoal just to get some decent heat in the smoke chamber. I also had to make this heat deflector and tried to seal up all the doors with that fiberglass rope, but that crap just comes off.

I can do ribs and chicken pretty good, but anything longer like a pork butt or brisket...fuggetaboutit.

I want to get that Weber Smokey mountain, 18.5". ...or a ceramic grill.:nut:

ramminghard
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Anyone with experience with a charcoal grill/smoker like this? How are they?

suntan
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Read this:

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html

cet
12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Some of the Napoleon Grills have an option to add a charcoal tray and use that instead of gas. Does anyone have any experience doing this? How easy is it to control the temp?

I like the convenience of a gas grill for throwing on burgers or the odd steak after work but I want to get into propper BBQing using charcoal when I have more time at the weekends.
I'm trying to decide whether to go with one of these units or to get a cheaper gas grill and a charcoal grill as well.

VWEvo
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Vertical smokers are typically the way to go. If you are like me and not handy enough to build one, go with a Weber Smokey Mountain. They are awesome, tonnes of websites devoted to them. Temp control is easy once you get the hang of it.

nonofyobiz
12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
If you want to do some proper smoking don't bother with the gas grill, just get a good smoker. I would also recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain 18", or if you have the cash go for a ceramic grill (big green egg, steal keg, Komado etc). Those are very good for smoking AND charcoal grilling. They are so efficient with the heat that you would use the least amount of wood and lump charcoal. I'm after one of those myself. My current setup uses a ton of charcoal.

The hard part is convincing the wife that you absolutely NEED a gas grill, charcoal grill AND a smoker haha

cet
12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I like the idea og a ccharcoal grill and smoker in one and the Big Green Eggs look good.

tsi_neal
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
Anyone with experience with a charcoal grill/smoker like this? How are they?

Thats what I have, needs a few very simple modifications out of the box but works great afterwards. My only complaint is it is hard to keep up to temp on cold days (I have a few old blankets that I cover it with) but is cheap and works.

Dave P
12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
So who is doing some holiday smoking? Im thinking a bacon wrapped turkey in the smoker for xmas day.

digi355
12-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
So who is doing some holiday smoking? Im thinking a bacon wrapped turkey in the smoker for xmas day.

I'm thinking about smoking some pork shanks. Anyone ever done a shank? I need a good recipe.

R-Audi
03-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Heads up for anyone looking at the Bradley Smokers... Canadian Tire has both models on sale until tomorrow. 499 for 399 and 399 for 299...

BBQ Galore will also match if you bring in a copy of the add.

phreezee
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
The Vision Kamados are back in stock at Costco for $599. Waiting for price drop or when BGEs come back to buy one.

Check out this crazy temp/air controller:

http://allchinas.com/probe/lion1.jpg

phreezee
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Heads up for anyone looking at the Bradley Smokers... Canadian Tire has both models on sale until tomorrow. 499 for 399 and 399 for 299...

BBQ Galore will also match if you bring in a copy of the add.

The lazy man in me is really tempted. Not having to fuss with coals is a big plus. Anyone have comments on electric versus charcoal taste/flavour wise?

r3ccOs
03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

The lazy man in me is really tempted. Not having to fuss with coals is a big plus. Anyone have comments on electric versus charcoal taste/flavour wise?

taste is a little different... compared to briquette's, its better

compared to lump... different

it tastes like just wood smoke, but not the charcoal itself, and as such, some items kinda taste like bacon (that type of smoke taste)

I am intriqued with buying one, strickly due to convenience, but the price of the refills has me turned off a bit

suntan
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Get a Masterbuilt electric smoker then. It uses just regular wood chunks.

phreezee
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I read up on the Masterbuilt and apparently there's lots of complaints about metallic smoke taste due to the paint on the wood scoop.

Got advice from a Bradley owner and I've ruled it out. His cons list was longer than the pros list.

suntan
03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a Masterbuilt, there is no metallic smoke taste because there's no paint on the wood... scoop... What the fuck are these people even talking about? Paint isn't even made of metal.

Okay, some have Titanium dioxide in them. But my wood holder is just metal. Maybe the metal taste comes from the metal of the scoop.

nonofyobiz
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
U could always go for a propane smoker

R-Audi
03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
What were the negatives on the Bradley?
I am planning on buying one tonight....

I know the wood chips are more expensive, but I figure thats a price you pay for being lazy. I used a friends on the weekend and it was great.. set, left it for 4 hours.. checked on it..added wood, left it again for another 3.

sillysod
03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
I have the Masterbuilt 30" Digital and I really like it.

Has a remote control too so I can keep an eye on the temperature without having to go outside.

Truth is I've only used it maybe 4 or 5 times but I made wings on it a couple weeks ago and they were deadly. Salmon came out good too. I really have no idea what I am doing with it but it is very forgiving and everything that has gone in has come out fantastic.

http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.php/products/smokers/electric-digital-smoker.html

DENZILDON
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Hows the electricity consumption on these electric smokers? I'm thinking it uses a lot since it takes hours to smoke. Yes? no?

phreezee
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
What were the negatives on the Bradley?
I am planning on buying one tonight....

I know the wood chips are more expensive, but I figure thats a price you pay for being lazy. I used a friends on the weekend and it was great.. set, left it for 4 hours.. checked on it..added wood, left it again for another 3.

Probably too late but, he said it's hard to keep temps unless weather is perfect (windy, cold). The proprietary pucks is obvious. Tough to clean. But the clincher was he said his digital smoke generator froze and stopped working, after about 1.5 years ownership. Maybe he had a lemon?

phreezee
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I have a Masterbuilt, there is no metallic smoke taste because there's no paint on the wood... scoop... What the fuck are these people even talking about? Paint isn't even made of metal.

Okay, some have Titanium dioxide in them. But my wood holder is just metal. Maybe the metal taste comes from the metal of the scoop.

Read about it last year when I was shopping them, maybe just older models: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-Generation-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/product-reviews/B003XJGEGY

Or maybe the owner didn't properly season the smoker, don't know if it's required in the instructions.

R-Audi
03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Well I went and bought the Bradley digital anyways... ended up going to BBQ Galore and they price matched with Canadian Tire, so I am pretty happy about it all. Basically ended up with a free cover and two boxes of wood pucks for the regular price.
They were a little shocked that Cdn Tire had them so cheap... they werent that happy about matching but did it anyways.

suntan
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Read about it last year when I was shopping them, maybe just older models: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-Generation-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/product-reviews/B003XJGEGY

Or maybe the owner didn't properly season the smoker, don't know if it's required in the instructions. Yeah I suspect he didn't season it properly if at all.

The Amazon reviews are always eye-opening because it's clear that some people are incredibly shitty with following directions and assembling anything more complicated than a ham sandwich.

Oh yeah, another thing that will result in an acrid taste is smoking too much. Yes, there is such a thing. For most items you should only smoke for the first 3-5 hours. Any more and things get acrid. Also hickory is very strong and should be used lightly. Applewood is a much, much better beginner choice.

drtoohotty1
03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Alright its been awhile since i have posted in here and ive got to say if you are serious about smoking and want an awesome BBQ i would pick up the big steel keg. I have always loved using charcoal over propane or natural gas and after a slight learning curve its super easy to maintain a 235 degree smoke for 14-16 hours, or a 800 degree steak sear, here is my current setup

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/drtoohotty/84114449-B2B7-41F9-B060-CB4D9F92C4BE-8653-0000048DE12EF265_zps8ded2fc0.jpg

Also another must have in my arsenal is the Oregon wireless digital thermometer best 50.00 dollars ever spent pop the probe unit in the smoker to monitor temperature take the wireless readout back up stairs a go back to bed :D the alarm will go off if it rises above your preset maximum temperature

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/drtoohotty/50D7C7DC-DA64-4693-A10E-DC8C314965F3-8653-0000048DE99A17DF_zps8ef9a6fd.jpg

As for recipes its all about trial and error through experimentation here is one of my favorites that a good starting point http://chefbolek.blogspot.ca/2011/07/big-bob-gibsons-eight-time-world.html I cant think of much more to say any questions i can gladly try to answer

nonofyobiz
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I would love a big steel keg!!!

Check out this little beauty! Just saw this yesterday and it's the cheapest ceramic grill i've see....a little more in my price range.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/akorn-kamado-kooker-grillsmoker/10138982?collectionName=Top+Sellers&fromCollectionPage=false

ExtraSlow
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Sick dude. Glad to see you got the pennies together, that's both functional, and cool.

drtoohotty1
03-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Sick dude. Glad to see you got the pennies together, that's both functional, and cool.

Thanks i didnt think this was the right section for the making of part of the penny table so i put those pictures in the "what did you do around the house today" thread

drtoohotty1
03-31-2013, 11:54 AM

Check out this little beauty! Just saw this yesterday and it's the cheapest ceramic grill i've see....a little more in my price range.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/akorn-kamado-kooker-grillsmoker/10138982?collectionName=Top+Sellers&fromCollectionPage=false

personally i am paranoid of ceramic they always seem to crack on me and with our climate i decided to go with the BSK as a safer option, the main thing to check out with the walmart canadian tire brand kamodo grills is the warranty if any. I had a hard time justifing the price of the BSK but after working the system a bit i got it from home depot for 530 shipped to my door and worth every penny.

weezy00
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I bought the Kamado from Costco.

It cooked my food awesome! The only issue I had was that the fire bowl crack right through, where a slit is cut into the ceramic. I returned it...

Might pick one up again, but looking at other options.

phreezee
04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
^^^Good to know, I heard about a few that have cracked over at RFD. I think I will take it off my list. Maybe do more research on Big Steel Keg or shell out of BGE.

It's metal though, not ceramic, just kamado style. My friend has one and it's $299 in the US.

D'z Nutz
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
Also another must have in my arsenal is the Oregon wireless digital thermometer best 50.00 dollars ever spent

Nice, where did you get it?

lilmira
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I need to get a new one too. My old GrillPro one just gives me some kind of error code. :(

Something special about the Oregon one?

Dave P
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Anyone making jerky?

I didnt feel like firing up the smoker, and happen to be unpacking some boxes and found my old food dehydrator.

Made some jerky last weekend.

Turned out awesome.

Marinade was soy sauce, worchester, brown sugar, chilli flakes, cayanne, salt, pepper.

Let it soak over night, then about 4 hours on the dehydrator.

KRyn
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Anyone making jerky?

I didnt feel like firing up the smoker, and happen to be unpacking some boxes and found my old food dehydrator.

Turned out awesome.

Marinade was soy sauce, worchester, brown sugar, chilli flakes, cayanne, salt, pepper.

How long will this style of jerky keep with no preservatives or additives?

Dave P
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

How long will this style of jerky keep with no preservatives or additives?

Not long, because its so damn delicious haha.

I have it in the fridge now. I would leave it maybe 2-3 weeks depending on how dry it is (i like mine a bit chewy).

I only make it in small batches though, with no intention of long term storage.

drtoohotty1
04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Nice, where did you get it?

Bass pro

spikerS
04-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Anyone making jerky?

Turned out awesome.

pfft. That's the lazy method.

I am smoking 10lbs of jerky today, all on my smoker.

I have a lot of neighbours stalking my house right now... :rofl:

Dave P
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by spikers

pfft. That's the lazy method.

I am smoking 10lbs of jerky today, all on my smoker.

I have a lot of neighbours stalking my house right now... :rofl:

Maybe I am lazy, but you are just a showoff! haha.

Just kidding. Ummmmmm Jerky

nonofyobiz
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
What smoker do you have and what is your method? I'd like to try some jerky. Haven't played with the smoker at low temps though

spikerS
04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I am using just an ECB, and closely monitoring it.

nonofyobiz
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Cool. I will probably pick up the WSM 18" this year. I currently have a Brinkmann Smoke king deluxe but I've failed to get it working well for longer smokes. I need much too hot of a fire to get 230'f and so its a charcoal pig

tbgallant
04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Picked up a Kamado from Costco as well. You can't beat the quality for the price if you ask me. The steel 'keg' version above looks nice too, but isn't it near $800 at HD?

Just arrived in the city (moved from Halifax), so looking for a good local source for smoking wood. I don't know 'chips' you can get from the various hardware stores, looking for chunks or simply a source for a 'small log' of various woods (mesquite, apple, cherry, etc).

What about a local trim/cabinet shop that might have scraps of some good stuff?

Also, anybody know if any of the Costco's have their charcoal in yet? The one in the NE doesn't have any at all (or the Kamados).

Cheers!

Tim

drtoohotty1
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
go to either of the BBQ's galore for the charcoal and wood chunks Tim

nonofyobiz
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Ya bbq's galore for the wood chunks. For logs I think you'd have to find a supplier out in bc and pick it up or have it shipped. I have not found anything local yet. With the komado one of the bags from BBQ galore should last long enough.

spikerS
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
in the past week, I have smoked over 20lbs of beef jerky. starting to get sick of it. LOL

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/72838_10151569951106368_154164154_n.jpg

phreezee
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Just ordered the Akorn last night, Walmart rolled it back to $326, free shipping!

Close enough to the US price of $299 for me to justify. Watched a bunch of videos and it's a capable kamado as long as you do some air sealing around the bottom vent. Definitely the best bang for the buck in kamado style cookers.
Can't wait for the first cooking session.

If anyone wants a 1 season ECB with a few upgrades, you can have mine for $25.

dj_rice
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by spikers
in the past week, I have smoked over 20lbs of beef jerky. starting to get sick of it. LOL

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/72838_10151569951106368_154164154_n.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

spikerS
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
And Just came home from a Beef Jerky competition.

Yeah, I took first /wipesdustfromshoulder

Disoblige
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Set up a Spikers jerky stand at Wednesday meets! :D

dj_rice
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Box that shit up and sell it. I'd buy a couple LB's

Matty_10
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
What cuts of meat are you using? Lately I've just been using ground beef and its turned out good.

spikerS
04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
first rule of beef jerky, don't call ground beef "jerky"

I seriously won't be making jerky for awhile now. I have made so much the past couple weeks, and I am almost done. I think by the time it is all said and done, I will have made 30-33lbs of beef jerky.

I need my house to smell like normal for awhile.

suntan
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Normal should be the smell of smoked beef!

phreezee
04-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Lots of adventures in smoking this weekend. Started with assembling the Akorn I got online, putting it together, seasoning it, and finding out that I got a Version 1 old stock. I only realized this because I was at Walmart picking up some charcoal and saw they had finally got some in store, and the top vent was definitely new and improved.

Next day I returned a fully assembled, used bbq to Walmart and picked up the last one in store. Assembled, burn off and seasoned yet another one!

I smoked a 11pm-9am pork butt and a 9am-5pm baby back ribs in a row. Amazed at how this thing holds the heat even in a snow storm on Saturday. Also amazed at how little charcoal it uses and ash it produces. I set the top vent to 1 and the bottom vent to 1 and it held 180-200 the entire time without ever opening or adding fuel. And during burn off, I got it to 700 degrees, choked it and no air leaks! Best of both worlds!

Some results:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57141573/pictures/IMG-20130420-00202.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57141573/pictures/IMG-20130420-00204.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57141573/pictures/IMG-20130420-00206.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57141573/pictures/IMG-20130420-00209.jpg

phreezee
04-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Also picked up a new thermometer myself. I'm wireless up to 300 feet now.

http://www.bbqfans.com/product_images/s/079/maverick-et-732-thermometer__36271_zoom.jpg

nzwasp
04-23-2013, 09:38 AM
I ended up buying a weber smokey mountain 22.5" last week - should arrive this week. Probably will start with smoking chicken. Do you guys leave your smokers going overnight? do you have to tend to it?

VWEvo
04-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I ended up buying a weber smokey mountain 22.5" last week - should arrive this week. Probably will start with smoking chicken. Do you guys leave your smokers going overnight? do you have to tend to it?

I have the 22.5" weber smokey mountain and it is awesome. Only thing I will tell you that the 22.5" is a pig when it comes to charcoal. If I had to do it differently I would have bought the 18.5" as it is far more efficient with charcoal.

I have my Weber smoking through the night all the time, just pack the charcoal pan, use the minion method and she's easily good to go through the night.

r3ccOs
04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I use 2 x 18.5's instead

the 22 is just too big, and refueling coal is a pain

drtoohotty1
04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

For big pork butts and briskets I do, get to your holding temperature and use a wireless thermometer set up to notify you if the temp rises above your pre set, my alarm goes off if it rises higher then 260c

tbgallant
04-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Been Q'ing up a storm in the NW as well.

Ribs from a couple weekends ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144593079/P1000243%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Brisket from this past weekend.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144593079/2013-04-21%2018.17.53.jpg

Having a blast. Couple things:

1) Still looking for somebody with a 'source' for some bulk wood chunks (apple wood, oak, whatever). The mark up on wood chunks is robbery!

2) Anybody interested in some 'group buy' purchasing of the parts needed to make a smoker controller:

HeaterMeter using a Raspberry Pi
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35674-HeaterMeter-v4-0-for-RaspberyPi-Standalone

The parts required are here (I have the raspberry Pi headed my way, need to buy the rest of the stuff soon).
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.0-Assembly

Looks to be about $180-$200 for everything, but if we do some bulk purchases could likely save $20-30 off that.

phreezee
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Brisket looks good! I'm going to try a cheaper beef roast tonight as an experiment, and then take on a big brisket next week.

I'd be down for bulk wood chunk group buy.

You guys should go with a kamado style smoker instead for overnight smoking. I put in a pound of charcoal and it only used 30-40% of what I put in. I won't ever go back to a drum style. Isn't the WSM roughly $300? Why not buy the Akorn?

r3ccOs
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.smokinlicious.ca/

Go4Long
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Lots of info in this thread. I just got back from Austin, TX on Monday. While I was there I went to the Salt Lick BBQ. Absolutely crazy delicious melt in your mouth brisket.

Out of curiosity we asked them how much brisket they go through in a day, they said on a Saturday they will go through 8'000lbs of Brisket...and that's on top of sausage, ribs, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152741010075655&l=c0bc7564db

I've decided to learn how to do it...so I came here :P

sillysod
04-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Anyone here have a good step by step beef jerky recipe that you have actually done yourself and were happy with it?

nonofyobiz
04-27-2013, 09:40 AM
[B]Lots of adventures in smoking this weekend. Started with assembling the Akorn I got online, putting it together, seasoning it, and finding out that I got a Version 1 old stock. I only realized this because I was at Walmart picking up some charcoal and saw they had finally got some in store, and the top vent was definitely new and improved.

Do you know which model number you ended up with? I wanted to get one yesterday but it won't fit in my dinky little car so I might have to order online. Cheaper online with free shipping as well. I don't want to end up with the one with a crappy vent

phreezee
04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
They are the same model number, I'd play it safe and pick it up in store. You can see the new vent on the box picture to confirm what you are getting. It's the same price in store $326, but they may have price signs with the old price of $368. You should get it scanned to confirm and borrow van/truck, I wouldn't risk the online order. I paid $326 at the checkout till.

Ntense_SpecV
04-27-2013, 04:51 PM
My god, do those photo's make me hungry. Ever since I got my patio built late last fall I have been chomping at the bit to finally buy a smoker. I'm thinking a Weber 18.5 it will make a great Father's day gift.