PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NHL Playoff Predictions and Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Kloubek
04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Why are you all so gung-ho on Detroit?

Just because they beat Phoenix in flour straight does not mean they'll have a similar fate against the Sharks.

Beat Phoenix with flour and eggs and you have a Phoenix biscuit.

I think talent-wise the teams are similar, but I picked Detroit because they always find a way to do well in the playoffs. And the Sharks always find a way to lose.

dingbathero
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Just because they beat Phoenix in flour straight does not mean they'll have a similar fate against the Sharks.

It's the Thorton factor really.... I like how Det will have pieces returning to the lineup as well.

Maybe not 5 - but the Sharks will not match up IMO.

Quizzes
04-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by dingbathero

It's the Thorton factor really.... I like how Det will have pieces returning to the lineup as well.

Maybe not 5 - but the Sharks will not match up IMO.

Yup. The difference is Detroit's all-stars step up come playoff time. You also have Franzen and Kronwall who are playoff performers as well. But then again, I'm not sold on Jimmy Howard.

SilverGS
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs Nashville Predators (5) - Preds in 7
San Jose Sharks (2) vs Detroit Red Wings (3)- Detroit in 6

Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals (1) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5)- Caps in 6
Philadelphia Flyers (2) vs Boston Bruins (3)- Flyers in 6

D'z Nutz
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
But then again, I'm not sold on Jimmy Howard.

On the other hand, Niemi's been kinda shaky too. I think this series will be based more on offense than goaltending.

dawwgy
04-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Why are you so gung-ho on Vancouver? They almost lost to the 8th seed and looked mentally unstable for a few games, and you predict they will have no real issues all the way to the cup?

Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs Nashville Predators (5) - Vancouver in 6
San Jose Sharks (2) vs Detroit Red Wings (3)- Detroit in 6
Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals (1) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5)- Caps in 7
Philadelphia Flyers (2) vs Boston Bruins (3)- Flyers in 7

West Final
Vancouver Cansucks (1) vs Detroit Red Wings (3) - Detroit in 7

East Final
Washington Capitals (1) vs Philadelphia Flyers (2) - Flyers in 6

Stanley Cup Final
Detroit Red Wings (3) vs Philadelphia Flyers (2) - Flyers in 7

Quizzes
04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Washington vs. Tampa Bay - Washington in 6
Philadelphia vs. Boston - Boston in 7

Vancouver vs. Nashville - Nashville in 7
San Jose vs. Detroit - Detroit in 6

-------------Conference Finals---------------
Washington vs. Boston - Washington in 6
Nashville vs. Detroit - Detroit in 5

-------------Stanley Cup Final----------------
Washington vs. Detroit - Washington in 6

stevieo
04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
wsh - tb - wsh in 5
phi - bos - phi in 5

vcr - nas - nas in 7
sj - det - sj in 5

wsh - phi - phi in 6

sj - nas - sj in 6

sj - phi - sj in 5

Tram Common
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by dawwgy

Why are you so gung-ho on Vancouver? They almost lost to the 8th seed and looked mentally unstable for a few games, and you predict they will have no real issues all the way to the cup?

If you knew anything about Vancouver you'd know that this first round was the toughest they'd face going forward. Regardless of Chicago's rank going into the playoffs it was the mental battle more than anything and that mental difficulty doesn't exist with Vancouver for any other team.

Also, are you all forgetting that San Jose walked all over a healthier Detroit team last year and took them in five?

EDIT:

Arguably the nicest goal ever scored in playoff history... man Bobby Ryan is amazing:

oYTjm5yxzi8

trdjce10
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Well all Vancouver had to do was win 1 game in 4. So they were obviously fine the first 3 games.

SJ did take out Det in 5 games last year, but it wasn't easy. All 4 games SJ won was by 1 goal including 1 OT. The 1 game Det won was 7 - 1 .

You do realize Bobby Ryan walked around a player with no stick, right? If he had a stick, it would have been a great tripping penalty. Great goal and player nonetheless, but far from being the nicest goal.

Tram Common
04-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by trdjce10
You do realize Bobby Ryan walked around a player with no stick, right? If he had a stick, it would have been a great tripping penalty. Great goal and player nonetheless, but far from being the nicest goal.

You do realize he walked around him twice, the first time when he had his stick...

Jesus, just shut the fuck up and enjoy something without bitching and whining your two cents.

Stalker Hacker
04-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Jesus, just shut the fuck up and enjoy something without bitching and whining your two cents.

:werd:

Why is it everything shared on these boards needs to be contested?

Benny
05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
After JVR just KILLED IT all game, the Bruins win it with a phantom goal in OT that had to be replay confirmed.

I love playoff hockey :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
05-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Suck it Philly!

Benny
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Suck it Philly!

I love it. Such a trashy team getting what they deserve. Can't believe the ref missed that goal though. It was pretty blatant.

But I gotta admit. Van Riemsdyk was stellar this game.

pyroza
05-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Come on Wings, I'm sick of seeing all these people with Sharks gear who didn't watch a game in the regular season

D'z Nutz
05-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Shit, caps on the verge of being swept :eek:

95teetee
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Shit, caps on the verge of being swept :eek: but...but...but Obitchkin said they were still going to win:confused:

:rofl:

Benny
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Shit, caps on the verge of being swept :eek:

Yeah I wasn't expecting that.

I'm just LOVING watching Philly shit up this game 3 because their goalies suck. A team with so much talent that just won't get it done because they have shit goalies. Who knows though? The rest of this series could be just like last year against Boston :eek:

NightFX2
05-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Been on the Bolts bandwagon since the playoffs started. Feels good. :clap:

Benny
05-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by NightFX2
Been on the Bolts bandwagon since the playoffs started. Feels good. :clap:

Yeah I didn't think the Bolts would do well considering their goalie isn't great and their D blows. They've been an awesome surprise though. Roloson's playing very well and their D has been really tight. As long as the stars keep scoring, they could go very deep.

EDIT: So long Washington. Maybe try to get it together next year haha

SOAB
05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
wanna know why Washington can't do well in the playoffs? their "stars" aren't canadian. haha.

Benny
05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
wanna know why Washington can't do well in the playoffs? their "stars" aren't canadian. haha.

Coming soon to a Don Cherry rant near you!

D'z Nutz
05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Setoguchi on a hat trick game winning goal in OT!!! :eek:

Tram Common
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Yes sir. :poosie:

Although I, like most on these boards shit the bed on my Washington in seven prediction... Jesus.

Kloubek
05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I must admit - I did not anticipate Tampa to do this wekk whatsoever. In fact, it appears I completely shit the bed with my predictions.

D'z Nutz
05-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Crazy game between wings/sharks! Wings up 3-0, sharks fight back and tie it up, Wings score with ~1:30 left and force game 5.

D'z Nutz
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeeeah, suck it Philly!

Benny
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Love it. Fuck the Flyers.

Really though, it's their own fault. Running 3 goalies on and off in the playoffs? Yeah, that's a winning strategy.

Go get a good goalie and I think the Flyers will go very deep and be a team to beat.

Kloubek
05-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I said right from the start the Philly wouldn't go far with their goaltending.

I also said that the Bruins would be the team to beat out of the West. I still maintain that too - although Tampa has been much better than I expected.

Tram Common
05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I also said that the Bruins would be the team to beat out of the West.

I think you mean East... and ya, I picked them to win the East also.

Vancouver vs. Boston... that will be a hell of a series.

rumeo
05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Benny
Love it. Fuck the Flyers.

Really though, it's their own fault. Running 3 goalies on and off in the playoffs? Yeah, that's a winning strategy.

Go get a good goalie and I think the Flyers will go very deep and be a team to beat.

I said right from the start the Philly wouldn't go far with their goaltending.

I also said that the Bruins would be the team to beat out of the West. I still maintain that too - although Tampa has been much better than I expected.

So many of those goals Boucher couldn't have stopped, his D left him dry.

D'z Nutz
05-07-2011, 10:48 AM

The way Tampa has been playing, I could see them give the Bruins a serious run for their money. Probably even take it to game 6 or 7.

Benny
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

So many of those goals Boucher couldn't have stopped, his D left him dry.

Yeah. Philly could have pulled a Detroit and went really deep without a good goalie by playing entirely on the merits of puck control and safe defense. I think they have what it takes. That being said, having one of their 3 goalies show up for the playoffs would have been a BIG help.

In other news:

Why "Cheer for Canadian Teams" is a stupid, stupid thing to say (or: Go Nashville!)
Let's get this out of the way right away: I do not cheer for the Canucks. No, much to my eternal chagrin and frustrations, I do pull for the Flames. Are they a good team? Right now, honestly no. Will they win the cup any time soon? If they will, I don't see it. But being honest about my team's crappy playing ability doesn't mean I won't still cheer for them emphatically when they play, it just means I'm aware that we're in a bit of a pickle.

Now, there seem to be a lot of really misguided Canuck fans who get all uppity when someone like myself, who loathes the Canucks, won't suddenly change my stripes and cheer for them as "Canada's Team". I often hear people saying things like, "Well, I'd rather see the cup come to Canada than go to those dirty Yankees!" (the dirty Yankees part might be a bit of an exaggeration), or, "How dare you not cheer for the Canucks! They're Canada's team!"

Canadiana - beavers in wifebeaters.

Let's step back for a moment and look at a few reasons why telling me this makes me think you're huffing gasoline:

1. There are more Canadian players on American teams than on the Canucks.
Fact: there were more good ol' home grown Canadian boys on the Hawks than there were on the Canucks. If you're hoping for Canadian athletes to share in the joy of hoisting Lord Stanley, you are cheering for the wrong team. In fact, I think there's also more on Nashville. Playing for a Canadian team doesn't make you Canadian, just like eating Ethiopian food on Friday nights doesn't make you black. If your goal is to root for Canadian athletes, your cheering is best directed at Boston or Philly, with 17 good ol' Canadians each.

2. You would never find that sort of sentiment in ANY OTHER SPORT EVER.
Would the Red Sox EVER cheer for the Yankees because they're "in the same division"? Would Manchester U fans suddenly start rooting for Manchester City if their team was eliminated? Do Sharks fans root for Anaheim to "keep it in Cali?!" Would you ever, EVER see a serious Jets fan start rooting for the Giants? Rivalries exist for a reason. I, for one, wouldn't ever expect a serious Canucks fan to start waving around Flames pendants if we were in Game 7 for the Stanley cup and the last "Canadian" team left in the league - and any one of them who started would completely lose my respect. Cheer for your team because they are YOUR team, and stop caring who is cheering along with you.

3. The cup is not "Canada's" like a gold medal is.

If Vancouver wins the cup, they don't take it on human aid missions around Canada patting other Canadians on the back for our "big win". We don't hoist a Canadian flag at the final ceremonies or get teary eyed eating our Canadian bacon and maple syrup. A victory for Vancouver isn't a victory for Canada in the same way that a victory for Finland isn't a win for Sweden. Vancouver is not Canada - is your geography seriously that bad, Canucks fans?

Behold the City of Vancouver.
For Canucks fans, it's the white area.

4. The cup being in America is actually probably pretty good for the league.

In case you haven't noticed, America's not as stoked on hockey as we are. While some would argue that this is good reason for a "Canadian" team to have the cup instead, think about the business side of things. If Nashville knocked the Canucks out and went on to win, there'd definitely be new fans in Nashville. That's good for the league. With more fans comes more budget, with more budget comes more opportunity to hire better players near the cap, with better players come better hockey games. Why should I cheer for a team that's already strong when I can cheer for a team in a challenged market and watch better hockey because of it? The Canucks are going to sell out games for the next umpteen years thanks to their strong roster and Canadian geography. So if anything, I'm going to root for progress, savvy?

5. Bandwagoners - OH THE IRONY!
Canuck fans also get all crotchety when I announce I'm going to cheer for X team who is playing against the Canucks. "OH MAN, YOU ARE SUCH A HAWKS BANDWAGONER!" Well, yeah. I hate your team, so I'm going to root for whoever you're playing against. The funniest part of this is that Canuck fans see NO problem with bandwagoning when it's in the name of "Canada". That's called rallying behind your nation and it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

So no, I won't cheer for the Canucks - and I'm not being a poor patriot for not doing so. Like I said, cheer for your team without getting in a big huff when they rest of the country doesn't want to. The Canucks are not "Canada's team" and won't ever be - and personally, I'm just fine with that.

A little bit of rivalry without all this Canadian politeness would be a whole lot more fun, wouldn't it?

http://electricprez.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-cheer-for-canadian-teams-is-stupid.html

D'z Nutz
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Holy shit, the Wings/Sharks game is pretty good right now.

Benny
05-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Holy shit, the Wings/Sharks game is pretty good right now.

I'm enjoying it. Datsyuk making magic even while injured :rofl:

D'z Nutz
05-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Fucking all hands, that guy.

That 4th goal sucked the life out of the sharks.

Benny
05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah and the building is surprisingly quiet. Wings are a bastard of a team that way. Just can never count them out.

And it's going back to Detroit for game 6 :burnout:

Freeskier
05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Man watching that game, no matter which teams make it through the western conference finals and the stanley cup finals are going to be off the hook

bmeier
05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
[B]

Yeah. Philly could have pulled a Detroit and went really deep without a good goalie by playing entirely on the merits of puck control and safe defense. I think they have what it takes. That being said, having one of their 3 goalies show up for the playoffs would have been a BIG help.

In other news:

losing carter and having pronger injured screwed them. the goaltending was not stellar but those 2 guys alone can make a huge difference.

last year gagne was instrumental in there cup run, i though they had a better team this year but guess not.

Tbay all the way, not a bruins fan.

D'z Nutz
05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't know what's funnier, Jumbo Joe's lousy acting or the fact he makes no attempt at hiding his dive in the penalty box :rofl:

Man, Mule's got some big teeth.

defOE1Ewxsk

D'z Nutz
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Ooooh shit, we're going to game 7!

95teetee
05-10-2011, 09:12 PM
just saw the game 6 highlights.

Seriously? Holmstrom pushes the defenseman into the crease to take out both him and the goalie on the second goal?

Really?

Oh yeah, it's the Wings.

dj_honda
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
haha not necessarily playoff related, but still creepy and funny as hell

http://deadspin.com/patrickkane/5800796

dirtsniffer
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
wow! what a play by Datsyuk, going to the power play now

D'z Nutz
05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs Nashville Predators (5) - Canucks in 6
San Jose Sharks (2) vs Detroit Red Wings (3)- Sharks in 7

Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals (1) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5)- Lightning in 7
Philadelphia Flyers (2) vs Boston Bruins (3)- Bruins in 6

Woot 4/4! 2/4 on the wins too.

Round 3 predictions:

Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs San Jose Sharks (2) - Canucks in 6

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins (3) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5) - Lightning in 7

Stealth22
05-12-2011, 09:50 PM
D'z Nutz, to be honest, I hope your conference final predictions are wrong. As a Flames fan, I'd hate to have to choose a cup winner between the Canucks and the Lightning. :drama:

Kloubek
05-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Woot 4/4! 2/4 on the wins too.

Well done!

My round 3 predictions:

Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs San Jose Sharks (2) - Canucks in 6

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins (3) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5) - Bruins in 6

stevieo
05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
San Jose in 6
Tampa in 7

San Jose in 5 For the cup!

flipstah
05-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I was 4/8.

Western
Nashville in 7
San Jose in 6

Eastern
Washington in 5 (unless Roloson becomes Superman again lol.)
Philadelphia in 6

Yeeeah, suck it Philly!

Fuck, this is terrible. 1/4 and Superman came out to play lol.

QFT.

As for predictions...

San Jose in 7
And as much as I hate to say this... Boston in 6

DJ Lazy
05-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs San Jose Sharks (2) - Canucks in 7

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins (3) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (5) - Bruins in 7

dandia89
05-17-2011, 09:10 AM
tampas got this!!

guessboi
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Western Conference

Eastern Conference

+1 same picks and games :D

awd
05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
GO VANCOUVER GO!

D'z Nutz
05-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Hooo leeeee shit! Tyler Seguin's got 3 goals in his first two NHL playoff games :eek:

Freeskier
05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Unbelievable, his career playoff shot percentage has to be nuts! and is it a record or anything?

Benny
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh man this game is sick

dirtsniffer
05-17-2011, 07:49 PM
fucking crazy

D'z Nutz
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Holy shit so what is that? 4 points this game?

Benny
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Boston raping in the second with Seguin just KILLING IT :burnout:

rumeo
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Taylor who?

Benny
05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
And... Smith in net for the Bolts. :rofl:

dirtsniffer
05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
one of the best games ive seen in the post season

Freeskier
05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
We were just talking about that. What a game.

Benny
05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Now that right thurr was playoff hockey :nut:

D'z Nutz
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Holy shit, today's Bruins/Lightning game isn't disappointing either! :eek:

rumeo
05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Bergenheim is a monster

dirtsniffer
05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
ya this series has been awesome

pyroza
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Canucks to the finals!

Looks like it'll be Vancouver vs. Boston.

guessboi
05-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Go Bruins! :clap:

D'z Nutz
05-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Damn, insane series! Game 7 could have gone either way. Even though I was hoping the Bruins would win, part of me was cheering for Tampa Bay cause they were the underdogs and it was Yzerman's first year as GM and they made it this far.

This should be a good final, but I think the Canucks will come out ahead in 7, maybe even 6.

Go Bruins!

Godfuader
05-27-2011, 09:05 PM
When do tix go on sale for Boston??? Planning a road trip to watch one of the games, but the site has not updated yet!!

DJ Lazy
05-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Western Conference

Eastern Conference

3 out 4 ain't bad...

Stanley Cup Prediction:

Canucks in 5!